It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 490
<< 487  488  489    491  492  493 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
There was two 3.6s 20 mins of each other.

That's not what concerns me.

"Magnitude 3.6
Date-Time

* Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 21:32:31 UTC
* Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 02:32:31 PM at epicenter

Location 44.564°N, 110.976°W
Depth 0 km (~0 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING
Distances

* 15 km (9 miles) SE (137°) from West Yellowstone, MT
* 30 km (18 miles) ENE (76°) from Island Park, ID
* 57 km (35 miles) NNE (28°) from Warm River, ID
* 430 km (267 miles) N (10°) from Salt Lake City, UT"

earthquake.usgs.gov...

The depth was 0 km.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
already posted - please delete.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by spinkyboo]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

Where are you getting your report from? It seems to be ahead of USGS.

They have finally posted the two from 1432 MST...they're listed as a 3.6 (both of them). I don't think it is a double post, looking at the webicorder. There are several more since then too...several in the 2 range and another probably in the 3 range.

Are these swarms starting to occur more frequently, or is does it just seem like it because we are more aware of it, and its being monitored more closely?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

As I wrote before, the EQ depth used for Yellostone is not relative to ground level, but to a fixed 1500 meters above sea level height. Since earthquakes are occurring in an area of the park which has a ground elevation of 2250 meters on average, 0 Km depth means that the earthquake was 2250-1500=750 meters below ground.

Still very shallow, but not 0 depth.
I think it will be revised anyway.
It looked like one single earthquake, not two.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
2 3.6s at two differcent depts and what is going on with the ypk ?

my gut tells me for the first time since yvo was created ys will be at yellow alert with in 24 to 48 hours

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

There will be no yellow alert, because there is no indication that the volcano will erupt. Alerts levels are increased only when there are potential volcanic hazards.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
From my eyes, I see one big quake and not two. There may have been a .05 a moment before, but from looking at all the stations. It comes through as one. And if that's true then it's got to be a 4.0. They may be trying list it as two 3.6 s, but that's not true. You guys with the GEE should be able to tell better from the webicorder. Shirakawa, what's your best guess.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

On GEE I saw in a very fast sequence a small earthquake, the big earthquake and then immediately following a medium-small one. It looked like the perfect foreshock-mainshock-aftershock sequence.

Note that UoU/YVO seismologists are still trying to figure out what happened, as the 0.0 Km depth one hasn't been reviewed yet (usually they're fast with such notable ones).

[edit on 2010-1-19 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
From my eyes, I see one big quake and not two. There may have been a .05 a moment before, but from looking at all the stations. It comes through as one. And if that's true then it's got to be a 4.0. They may be trying list it as two 3.6 s, but that's not true. You guys with the GEE should be able to tell better from the webicorder. Shirakawa, what's your best guess.

there was this one @ 21:32:11

4.1 Mcd - YELLOWSTONE NAT. PARK, WYOMING
Preliminary Earthquake Report Magnitude 4.1 Mcd
Date-Time 19 Jan 2010 21:32:11 UTC
19 Jan 2010 14:32:11 near epicenter
19 Jan 2010 13:32:11 standard time in your timezone

then another one @ 21:32:31

3.2 Mcd - YELLOWSTONE NAT. PARK, WYOMING
Preliminary Earthquake Report Magnitude 3.2 Mcd
Date-Time 19 Jan 2010 21:32:31 UTC
19 Jan 2010 14:32:31 near epicenter
19 Jan 2010 13:32:31 standard time in your timezone

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

What's your guess on the main shock? The two 3.6 s, haven't been reviewed and will be sure to change.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Which list did you get that? The Yellowstone one is different.

link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

I guess 3.8-4.0 like I wrote in a previous post.
I can't give exact estimates, though, sorry.

link   
Well it seems to me the only way to get this to calm down is for me to go to SAMs club and start stocking up on big supplies. Kinda like when you get your car washed,.. it rains.

[edit on 19-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
There was two 3.6s 20 mins of each other...
That's not what concerns me. The depth was 0 km.

You have to keep in mind that the quakes that show up immediately on USGS pages are automatically calculated by a computer somewhere based on real-time wave data from seismometers. It frequently gets things wrong; that's why humans review and change them. There was only one seismic event of 3.6 magnitude (I can see it clearly in the monitoring app I use), but the computer saw two and couldn't calculate a depth for the second one (which was the actual event), only the first (and that depth might not even be right).

And it was only 20 seconds between the two.
Still... 3.6 is getting up there in Worry-Factor, and they might be getting shallower. I have to admit, I've never seen a swarm that started out small and then got larger. It's always been the other way around. But again... at least it's nowhere near the lake.

Here, I'll post a screenshot of the wave data from it... somewhere, umm... over 100K... sigh, fine, I'll put it on, uh, here. It makes it pretty clear. See how there's a pre-shock that falls off a bit, then the main one? That's what fooled the computer. I'm sure it'll be corrected soon.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Researchers report Yellowstone earthquake swarm

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. » Add another small earthquake to the swarm of temblors that have rattled Yellowstone National Park in recent days. The U.S. Geological Survey says a 3.3-magnitude earthquake struck at 8:39 p.m. Monday, and it was centered 9 miles southeast of the town of West Yellowstone, Mont. No damages or injuries have been reported. Rafael Abreu, a USGS geophysicist, says a swarm of earthquakes has hit the park in recent days, which is normal. Jamie Farrell, a doctoral student at the University of Utah, says the swarms generally last from a few days to weeks but sometimes last for months. The recent series of quakes started Sunday night, and Farrell says more than 200 had been counted by 9 a.m. Monday. On Monday night, the USGS says, one person within the park had reported feeling the 3.3-magnitude quake

www.sltrib.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

What program are you using, by the way?
Is it updated in real time? It looks better than GEE for certain uses.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Yellowstone earthquake swarm continues into third day, intensifies

Two magnitude 3.6 earthquakes hit Yellowstone National Park in less than a minute this afternoon as the swarm of earthquakes that started Sunday continues to intensify. The earthquakes occurred at 2:32 p.m. and were a mile apart, according to scientists monitoring the current swarm. The swarm of earthquakes that started Sunday have now entered their third day. Earlier today, at 9:48 a.m. , a magnitude 3.3 tremor was recorded. On Monday night, a magnitude 3.4 tremor was recorded at 8:39 p.m. As of 1 p.m. today, more than 430 earthquakes had been recorded in the swarm, according to Jamie Farrell, a doctoral student in geophysics at the University of Utah, which operates more than two dozen earthquake monitoring stations in the park. He said that the earthquakes have been felt in the park itself, in West Yellowstone, Montana, and Island Park, Idaho.

For the rest of story from today's Denver Post see article below.

www.denverpost.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
reply to post by spinkyboo

Which list did you get that? The Yellowstone one is different.

I get them automatically sent to my email when they happen from the USGS. I get anything over 3 mag from anywhere in the world.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It figures as we are nearing 500 pages, the action is leading to some sort of climax. With the obviuos fact the quaker are at present growing in magnitude, it leaves us wonder if the next one will be bigger yet.
Stay tuned, we'll be hitting 500 in more time and the swarm may be reaching a peak by then. Here's to 500 pages for the old girl Yellowstone.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa
reply to post by Thought Provoker

What program are you using, by the way?
Is it updated in real time? It looks better than GEE for certain uses.

It's called "Swarm." It's what the USGS itself uses. Very real-time (the same winston wave data you're already used to), and quite speedy and feature-packed despite being written in Java. And no, I'm not allowed to give out copies of it, sorry.
Perhaps more screenshots later, though... especially if this gets much worse...

<< 487  488  489    491  492  493 >>

join