It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 487
<< 484  485  486    488  489  490 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Well now that is rather unsettling! Did this happen with last years swarm as well?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I don't think it's related to Yellowstone - just seems to be lots of quakes in places they don't usually expect them recently....

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Not to get off topic, and not that quakes aren't expected here, but there are three listed on the USGS this past week for the new madrid fault which I happen to live on.... whole lotta shakin' goin' on!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

And here am I, in New Zealand where we get lots of quakes, wondering why it's been so quiet... hmmmm... what's Mother Nature up to, she's sure up to something!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

It's funny you mentioned that. I was just thinking about how many areas that light up have been silent.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Reply to post by whoshotJR

lol sounds like displaced tension release. Like, punching the t.v. instead of going for a walk. lol That's what just popped in my head when i read that.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

I wasn't aware that is was an ATS'er hosting that site. COOL! I wonder if Time Warner got upset by the sudden jump in traffic & reset it just to be obnoxious (LOL)

Was gone for about 3 hours & just in that time it looks like it is picking up again.....

>> Edit for spelling.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I noticed that although a few have been revised down a noticable more than few seemed to have been revised UP. Seems a bit out of the ordinary for USGS from what I've seen over the last decade of observing. But what do I know....just an amateur here.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
The story is definately starting to perculate out in the media.

www.kulr8.com...

Now that all the geologists are back to work they can answer the questions the reporters ask now their they too are finished thier weekend holiday. I'm getting the feeling I'm supposed to believe this is all normal. The swarm last year was quoted by leading geologists to be very significant and was as vigorous as several other historical noteworthy swarms such as '85. So these intense events are not exactly normal. I would agree with Robert Smith and say they are "relatively common". That's a complex answer and not the pat on the head that "all things normal" evokes.

I'm trying to keep my humour alive during a moment of stress. I keep thinking about the Simpsons. The episode where Homer tries to get Marge over her fear of flying.

Homer: I'm going to help you through this. Those are all normal noises. Luggage compartment closing...cross checking...just sit back and relax. That's just the engine powering up...that's just the engine struggling...
That's just a carp swimming around your ankles.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Found an interesting link last year, went back out to look at the pattern & well a picture speaks a thousand words......

GPS Velocities for YellowstoneContin
quake.wr.usgs.gov...

Note: It states last earthquake update was Mon Jan 11 15:00:04 UTC 2010 (before the swarm began). I wonder if this is why they are revewing the current activity so quickly because they saw some change in activity a few days ago?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
reply to post by MoorfNZ

It's funny you mentioned that. I was just thinking about how many areas that light up have been silent.

Typical, just as I mention that eQuake registers its first New Zealand quake (North Island, I'm on South) for ages!

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Press Release

University of Utah Seismograph Stations

Released: January 18, 2010 09:30 AM MST

The University of Utah reports that a notable swarm of small earthquakes large as magnitude 2.7 has occurred throughout the evening of January 17 and morning of January 18, 2010, in Yellowstone National Park. The swarm is located about 10 miles northwest of Old Faithful, Wyoming and 9 miles southeast of West Yellowstone, MT. There were a total of 206 located earthquakes in the swarm of magnitude 2.7 to 0.5 as of 9AM Monday morning, and there has been one report of one of the larger earthquakes being felt in Yellowstone National Park.

Swarms of this nature are relatively common in this part of Yellowstone National Park. At this time we consider this swarm normal for tectonic related sources in the volcanic setting of Yellowstone and not an indication of premonitory volcanic or hydrothermal activity, but ongoing analyses will evaluate these different sources.

Information on earthquake can be viewed at the University of Utah Seismograph Stations: www.seis.utah.edu...

Seismographic recordings from Yellowstone seismograph stations can be viewed online at: www.quake.utah.edu...

Persons who felt any of the earthquakes are encouraged to fill out a survey form on the USGS "Did You Feel It?" web site: earthquake.usgs.gov...

Press release prepared by Jamie Farrell and Robert. B. Smith, University of Utah.

this has yet to be updated as of yesterday morning 206 quakes have been noticed .

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Right now another notable earthquake occurred, but I think it's in a different location than that of the last ones. If confirmed, then it would be definitely >M3.0.

Originally posted by alysha.angel
this has yet to be updated as of yesterday morning 206 quakes have been noticed .

Also there have been earthquakes stronger than M2.7.

[edit on 2010-1-19 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa
Right now another notable earthquake occurred, but I think it's in a different location than that of the last ones. If confirmed, then it would be definitely >M3.0.

Originally posted by alysha.angel

Also there have been earthquakes stronger than M2.7.

[edit on 2010-1-19 by Shirakawa]

i know , if they update the information on the new swarm ill or somebody can post it .

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Guys - in case any of you are Facebook users, I've just set up International Quake Watch on there to get feedback from across the globe. Feel free to join in - casual watchers, amateurs and pros all welcome. www.facebook.com...#/group.php?gid=259824569418&ref=search&sid=579349178.2897602656..1

As I speak we have another small quake in NZ - I should have kept my mouth shut when I said it was quiet around here at the moment!

[edit on 19-1-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I am sorry if this question has already been asked, but I didn't have time to read the preceding 486 pages. Are there any theories connecting the rapid movement(as of late) of the magnetic North pole of the Earth and any corresponding increase in tectonic action/movement? Thanks in advance for any info!

[edit on 19-1-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I've been monitoring this websitethis morning (UK time). Could someone explain why there were two reports of an earthquake taking place at Yellowstone around 13.30-13.40 (GMT) and then a few minutes later at the next update one of them was gone?

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Kellys

Admin error?

I have this

19.01.2010 - 13:39:13 2.5 North America USA Montana West Yellowstone
19.01.2010 - 13:26:52 2.5 North America USA Montana West Yellowstone

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kellys

Often the readings are reviewed by seismo's, particularly 2.5 and over which are no always auto-reported, so could be there was an admin error - for instance, they could have recorded 2.5 but then gone back and amended it to 2.3 or whatever, but forgot, at first, to clear the first entry before inserting amended one.

Just a theory! Usually when quakes disappear or change in magnitude it's because someone's manually playing with the data.

Still... activity dipped for a bit but it's getting busy again....

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by yzzyUK
reply to post by Kellys

Admin error?

I have this

19.01.2010 - 13:39:13 2.5 North America USA Montana West Yellowstone
19.01.2010 - 13:26:52 2.5 North America USA Montana West Yellowstone

hisz.rsoe.hu...〈=eng

My USGS showed that at first - I think looking at time between them it was admin error as now showing just one.

<< 484  485  486    488  489  490 >>

join