It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 485
<< 482  483  484    486  487  488 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Respectfully, it was not a panic. There was confusion and concern in the mainstream media due to the video warning on You Tube because the USGS logo was on the list of earthquakes used in the video. They should have done more to use the moment to get the public interested in the volcano and promote their work. The webicorders are part of that program. Instead they focused on the distraction, ie lawsuit threats, and wanted to reassure us that there was nothing to worry about. Go back to sleep. Even the You Tube video the YVO produced a few months later was a reaction, and was a response to the warning from Chris Sanders. The YVO video didn't even allow comments. Science is about openess and information sharing. Unfortunately it would seem the USGS is more concerned about controlling the message. Delaying the data. Controlling the spin. I think I like Robert Smith, he seems to have the most balanced views coming from the geological community.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I just got home so I apoligize if this was already mentioned as I am still catching up....

I was able to get onto www.isthisthingon.org at 11:30 am (PDT) at lunch after my Firefox earthquake alert browser plug in kept going off all morning with Yellowstone quakes, but now I am at home & keep getting error messages when trying to hit the site. Does anyone have an update on why the site is down? Hopefully it's heavy traffic & not intentional....

FYI - I noticed a big jump in frequency since yesterday afternoon.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ape_Man
That 2.7 has been upgraded to a 2.8. It is spooky the way you predict these things Shirakawa.

It also had its location adjusted. Originally it was north of the current swarm but has been moved right on top of it now. Really shallow too, at 0.9 Kms. This seems strange as the last few have been around the 9-10km mark. I wonder if this is just a typo.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Ape_Man]
I'd rather it be a typo than it being that shallow.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

Originally posted by Ape_Man
That 2.7 has been upgraded to a 2.8. It is spooky the way you predict these things Shirakawa.

It also had its location adjusted. Originally it was north of the current swarm but has been moved right on top of it now. Really shallow too, at 0.9 Kms. This seems strange as the last few have been around the 9-10km mark. I wonder if this is just a typo.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Ape_Man]
I'd rather it be a typo than it being that shallow.

since that 2.8 seemed to show up stronger on more of the graphs throughout the park, its most likely not a typo

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Just for the record, the depth used by YVO for Yellowstone Park is not relative to the ground level, but to a fixed 1500 meters height above sea level. So 0.9 Km would mean that the real depth is 600 meters above sea level.

So did the earthquake occur in mid air?
No. Yellowstone park is in a mountain area. The ground surface elevation where earthquakes are occurring right now is about 2450 meters asl. So the earthquake occurred 2450-600 = 1850 meters (1.85 Km) below the ground surface.

[edit on 2010-1-18 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
this most recent quake, not yet regester but showing up on gee is more towards the lake then the past earthquakes today and yesterday, showing up strong on ylt st. should be about 2.5 quake.utah.edu...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I just heard a rumor that Old Faithful has missed 3 cycles in a row today. Has anyone heard this? From what I understand it was reported on local news so I can't get a link yet. Also, is this common for OF to miss a few cycles here and there. Also it seems the web-cam is down, but probably getting dark there by now anyway.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Shirikawa, and Robin, does it appear these are moving closer to the surface, based on this graph? Just curious.... thnx, sorry bout that, anyway, i went to the deepest quakes/caldera part of this, and did a date based version of the caldera, with 10 pixel circle, and it seemed that they were moving up and towards the rim, from the 11th to the 19th of this month, sorry I couldn't get it loaded....my bad

[edit on 18-1-2010 by freetree64]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Gosh we can't have rumor. Get some sources.

But you are correct and factual regarding the webcam. I had trouble as well with Old Faithful Live feed. Could only get the updating pictures. Didn't follow schedule to notice any skipped cycles. It wouldn't be impossible to miss an eruption. But since it's name after is Old Faithful, it would be rare. I digress, we need facts.

Oh and for your enjoyment here is a Coast to Coast program during last year's swarm. Take the FACTS with a grain of salt, I definately noticed some facutal errors. But I will say that I agree with guest when he said that Robert Smith is a straight shooting guy. With integrity. In my heart, without absolute proof, I am strangely sure of that. If you want to know about Yellowstone, search his name and read everything he's said about Yellowstone. When I read his words, they are obviously knowledgable, but there is something strikingly honest about them. I'm a mean critic. And for some reason I can't find the flaw in his approach. Unlike mine own.

www.youtube.com...

Dear freetree64, I'm not the whizz on the computer and Shirakawa is the person to ask about what may be actual happening with depths and reading the GEE. Also Shirakawa is talented at taking the data and illustrating it. Now I want (is it he or she, i don't want to presume) Shirakawa to see if they can take the swarm and see if they can make music out of the magnitudes and depths in some sort of way. Just a thought. I'm just a shuck who's become obssessed with volcanoes and have been researching the hell out of the subject. To the layman it would seem that if the quakes start deep and rise it could indicate magma rising. Robert Smith said that the activity was likely tectonic. I have no reason to argue. However this does not stop the rupturing to constrict flow of ground water at shallower depths and trap steam, which could burst through walls and create earthquakes. With over 250 earthquakes and counting, the answer may be all of the above. Tectonic, magma, and groundwater may be accounting for the activity.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Robin Marks]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
for those of u currently watchin gee what is that between 01:55-56 it looks like a strong spike, but could not be an earthquake could it? just looks weird, never seen sumthing like that

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

The other thing is that the seismo at YFT has been shut down since early today, would be hard to verify if there were eruptions. I imagine they would be apparent on the seismo?
Just FYI, I posted my "rumor" as a question, merely looking for confirmation from those more in the know than myself.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Electromagnetic interference to the radio telemetry system. Nothing to be worried about. It's probably been caused by a thunder. How's the weather at Yellowstone at the moment?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It seems like yellowstone is taking a breather, bot the solomon islands sure has lighted up lately. 5 5,0+ quakes in the last two hours. Looked it up, and they have a lot of active volcanoes

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by quietright

Looks like it is finally back up. There are no tracings since 6:00 am on Old Faithful but the Madison River tacing is very busy. How much of that is just wind?

www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Dear odd1out,

Sometimes I fail when I'm joking. I hoped the gosh at the begining would make it apparent. No worries. I love gossip and rumour as much as the next person, but I love facts more and would love to know if this is true. Reporters love gossip and rumour, but they need that credible source, or eyewitness, or picture to make it fact. I was trying to watch Old Faithful today to see if there were any changes but was stopped by frustration when live feed didnt' work. It's not as easy to keep checking on still frame.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

No offense taken, I just meant to say I don't want to be part of the baseless rumor mill here. It would be nice if I could get some confirmation one way or another, but alas, nothing turning up.
Have to run...back later.
Good Evening to everyone.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by quietright

There's very little wind on them webicorders. Them's earthquakes. Lots.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I ah, am kind of new to this situation but with the spike in earthquakes in the past month I have taken an interest and gotten eQuake.

Basically, what I want to know is are these Yellowstone quakes anything to worry about whatsoever? I'm relatively new to quake following but I am not new to the situation at Yellowstone. Can anyone clarify that for me?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
I ah, am kind of new to this situation but with the spike in earthquakes in the past month I have taken an interest and gotten eQuake.

Basically, what I want to know is are these Yellowstone quakes anything to worry about whatsoever? I'm relatively new to quake following but I am not new to the situation at Yellowstone. Can anyone clarify that for me?

What I know is... there is a giant lava pool under Yellowstone, about 3/4 the size of Utah, that could blow now, or in thousands of years. If it is moderate to mild it has a chance of killing millions. If it's large, it could cause a near extinction.

Small rumbles can be a sign of impending DOOM!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I’ve made a video... actually mostly sound though:

Yellowstone - 2010-01-17 earthquake swarm, first 28 hours [SOUND ONLY]

The first 28 hours of seismic data from WY.YPM and WY.YMC stations converted into sound waves, from the earthquake swarm started on 2010-01-17 near the northwest Yellowstone caldera edge (approximately from 2010-01-17 20:00 UTC to 2010-01-19 00:00 UTC).
Playing speed is 240 faster than realtime in order to bring the original 100 Hz sample rate to 24000 Hz

Programs used to make this video:
VASE 2.8
Audacity 1.3.10
Internal SAC to WAV conversion tools
FRAPS
Avidemux 2.5

The facilities of the IRIS Data Management System, and specifically the IRIS Data Management Center, were used for access to the waveform required in this video.
The IRIS DMS is funded through the National Science Foundation and specifically the GEO Directorate through the Instrumentation and Facilities Program of the National Science Foundation under Cooperative Agreement EAR-0552316.

<< 482  483  484    486  487  488 >>

join