It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 486
<< 483  484  485    487  488  489 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by quietright
reply to post by quietright

Looks like it is finally back up.

Yes, my apologies. The fine folks at Time Warner wait until I'm at work, then reset my cable modem at home (which serves up isthisthingon.org) and I can't fix it until I get home, usually after 6pm central. This sure looks like an interesting swarm, though, doesn't it? And 10 Km deep. I'm just thankful it's not under the lake.

I don't know what's happened to YFT either (the seismometer near Old Faithful). Or Norris River (YNR). I can't even see a decent map of the activity, because I can't import quake data until the NCEDC updates its official database. It's almost 4 days out of date right now. This one should be pretty in GoogleEarth...

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa

I got the date wrong and wrote 2009 instead of 2010. I've corrected it, so hopefully now it will be clear that it's about the current earthquake swarm

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
A decent one has just hit.

Preliminarily it is a 3.3 at 10.0 Kms.

Edit: Apparently has already been reviewed. So 3.3 it is

[edit on 18-1-2010 by Ape_Man]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Actually posted the last one quickly on the USGS site. Exactly where the others have been...same depth.

If this continues at this rate, I think we should be on the look out for other signs. ie. gasses, waterflow, gyser activities, etc.

Anyone find out more info about old faithful???

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Actually posted the last one quickly on the USGS site. Exactly where the others have been...same depth.

If this continues at this rate, I think we should be on the look out for other signs. ie. gasses, waterflow, gyser activities, etc.

Anyone find out more info about old faithful???

Yep, very quickly reported and amended from an initial 3.0 to 3.3. Someone's got their eye very much focused on this area....

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
interesting reading: New Mapping Shows Depth Of "Hot Spot" That Fuels Yellowstone National Park

www.nationalparkstraveler.com...

also:

standeyo.com...

Let's look at 2010 so far.

Using USGS statistics, they show the annual average of Richter 6.0 and greater quakes is 152. We've already racked up 10 events in the first two weeks this year. If this trend continued, we would see 260 significant shakes – 71% increase over the norm – and the seismic events plotted below would literally be off the chart.

For Mag. 7 quakes, we're off to a ripper start with TWO events in the first 12 days of 2010. On average, only 17 Richter 7's strike annually. First the Solomon Islands were hit with a 7.1 on Jan. 4. Then just eights days later a 7.0 devastated Haiti.

Either Earth is flushing out seismic tension early, or it's going to be a busy year.

It will be interesting to see if quake activity kicks up in California after the "unrelenting rain" forecast for next week. Not only does massive moisture promote landslides, it's also known to "lubricate' earthquake faults and add weight on underlying rock.

[edit on 18-1-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
hmmm... i read somewhere else (no validity but still) they predicted a 4.0 by the end of tomorrow and a 5.0 by the end of the week. Let's hope not.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ekhodust
hmmm... i read somewhere else (no validity but still) they predicted a 4.0 by the end of tomorrow and a 5.0 by the end of the week. Let's hope not.

Who predicted?

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Just another 3.0 Looks so big on GEE.

3.0 - local magnitude (Ml)
Time Monday, January 18, 2010 at 9:42:14 PM (MST)
Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 4:42:14 (UTC)
Distance from West Yellowstone, MT - 15 km (9 miles) SE (136 degrees)
Island Park, ID - 30 km (18 miles) ENE (75 degrees)
Gardiner, MT - 56 km (35 miles) SSW (202 degrees)
Warm River, ID - 57 km (35 miles) NNE (28 degrees)
Salt Lake City, UT - 430 km (267 miles) N (10 degrees)
Coordinates 44 deg. 33.9 min. N (44.565N), 110 deg. 58.6 min. W (110.976W)
Depth 10.2 km (6.3 miles)
Location Quality Good
Location Quality Parameters Nst= 33, Nph= 33, Dmin=11 km, Rmss=0.22 sec, Erho=0.4 km, Erzz=0.7 km, Gp=90 degrees
Event ID# uu00000568

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Another 3.0 USGS via eQuake

Date-Time

* Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 04:42:14 UTC
* Monday, January 18, 2010 at 09:42:14 PM at epicenter

Location 44.565°N, 110.976°W
Depth 10.2 km (6.3 miles)
Region YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING
Distances

* 15 km (9 miles) SE (136°) from West Yellowstone, MT
* 30 km (18 miles) ENE (76°) from Island Park, ID
* 56 km (35 miles) SSW (202°) from Gardiner, MT
* 430 km (267 miles) N (10°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.4 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 0.7 km (0.4 miles)
Parameters NST= 33, Nph= 33, Dmin=11 km, Rmss=0.22 sec, Gp= 90°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=2
Source

* University of Utah Seismograph Stations

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Reply to post by MoorfNZ

Whoops, sorry. Just some random people discussing like you guys here.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Reply to post by MoorfNZ

Whoops, sorry. Just some random people discussing like you guys here.

No worries, always nice to have a source though, even a dodgy one

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

I have read some of the posts on this thread and well just now the quake thing I have on my laptop went off and it's Yellowstone again, a 3.0 at 11:52pm eastern time.....Anyways I was wondering is it normal for there to be this much going on there? I dont know anything about earthquakes but I was wondering does a place get a lot of smaller quakes before a big one?? Another thing I was wondering is it normal for a place to get so many aftershocks like Haiti did??? Like I said I know nothing about quakes and was just wondering if any of this stuff means anything. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

A specific area in Yellowstone is experiencing what's known as a swarm which basically means there are a large number of quakes in a small locality - I think someone said anything over 25 in a short timeframe is termed a swarm. There have been 70+ in the last decade or so I believe.

They aren't unusual, but people do tend to focus on on them - particularly around sensitive areas like Yellowstone. I'm no expert but I don't think they a "sure sign" of anything drastic, but they can be a precursor to a larger event.

I have to say, the 3.0+ are worrying me a little, especially if they continue.

Other more experienced members will, I'm sure, give you their views, too
I'm just a "watcher", not a pro, but you will learn heaps if you keep up with this thread - worth reading back over the beginning when last year's swarm first triggered this thread

I, personally, don't believe Yellowstone activity is related to Haiti in any way. And yes, many many aftershocks appear after a large quake, that's not unusual.

Solomons Islands are also rocking and rolling today...

EDITED to add: Here's a link to the Utah webicorder read outs you can see the quakes for yourself. You'll see there are hundreds, but only certain strength ones are usually reported as others so small. quake.utah.edu...

[edit on 18-1-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Reply to post by mblahnikluver

It has happened before. A year ago there was a slightly similar swarm that was more intense but not as focused, but I dunno as much about this stuff as the lead contributors here. Just my opinion. And it ain't much. lol

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Reply to post by MoorfNZ

lol at least people are talking. The more people talk, the more the community can work together if anything Heaven forbid should happen.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by quakewatcher

I have read some of the posts on this thread and well just now the quake thing I have on my laptop went off and it's Yellowstone again, a 3.0 at 11:52pm eastern time.....Anyways I was wondering is it normal for there to be this much going on there? I dont know anything about earthquakes but I was wondering does a place get a lot of smaller quakes before a big one?? Another thing I was wondering is it normal for a place to get so many aftershocks like Haiti did??? Like I said I know nothing about quakes and was just wondering if any of this stuff means anything. Thanks!

Let me see. Maybe. Maybe. Yes. I don't know if anyone can answer that question now, but I bet some seismologists/vulcanologists will be up all night thinking about it.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ekhodust

Yep, ekhodust, last year was more spread out than this year - this swarm is very concentrated in one location.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Reply to post by MoorfNZ

lol at least people are talking. The more people talk, the more the community can work together if anything Heaven forbid should happen.

Exactly

Truth is, no-one really knows, and I love some of the theories people put on here

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
thecherrycreeknews.com...

A 4.0 magnitude earthquake struck Jones City today (16 JAN), approximately 17 miles from Oklahoma City, January 15, 2010 at 9:18:25 a.m. Though earthquakes are considered rare for Oklahoma, today’s marks the third in the region this week.

<< 483  484  485    487  488  489 >>

join