It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 461
<< 458  459  460    462  463  464 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The Caldera is one big very active volcano. Everything it does is leading to an erruption...it's a question of when in geological terms, which can be thousands of years.

If today's activity is soon followed by more quakes rapidly increasing in intensity, along with increased gyser activity, increased geothermal heat, increaed 'gassing off', then an immenent erruption is near. Otherwise, it is just another 'burp' in the system, which is always happening. They just seem to be getting nearer to the surface.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
lots of quackes in mid. california.. related?

perhaps funny to say... but last week there was a trhread on ATS about an event that would chance oure planet.. at may 25....

[edit on 25-5-2009 by ressiv]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
OMG I don't visit for 2 days and all hell breaks loose!

Apologies Robin you are absolutely right I should not have fed the troll - I just could not resist!

Thanks to you all for your input. We seems to have had an interesting little bunch of quakes, which coupled with a small hydrothermal, give cause for thought.

I will see it I can get a seismo wave for the events. It might tell us a bit more.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
lots of quackes in mid. california.. related?

perhaps funny to say... but last week there was a trhread on ATS about an event that would chance oure planet.. at may 25....

[edit on 25-5-2009 by ressiv]

no i dont think so, the cali quakes are too far away

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Cal: 396 Mag 1.0+ in the last seven days. For California that is not unusual.

By the way the April figures for Yellowstone Mag 1.0+ quakes is 38 so the majority of the April ones reported in that article were very small.

Sound file of today's quakes at Yellowstone "US_LKWY_BHZ_20090525-092947_940Hz.wav" is on my download site in the folder "Sounds". See my signature for link to site.

[edit on 25/5/2009 by PuterMan]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Busy few days it seems

The Jackson Hole Photo was a bit of a surprise as well, (it's now a background on my pc.)

So another micro swarm, though by looking at my map its not in the lake but online/inline with the Jan swarm.

M.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
seems the west region is under pressure......lots of them again and continue according to the seis.meter.. check YMR station...

[edit on 27-5-2009 by ressiv]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
YMR does seem to have had a few 1.0+'s and some of the closer stations show minor traces of the larger spikes. So I suspect we'll get a confirmation on 1-2 of them.

I think my biggest worry with UU's review of quakes in YS is that unless it's a 3.0+ on the weekend we only get any real reporting after the fact.

I'll have to look up the Jackson Hole location on Google Earth and put a star on it for an area to watch when I get home. Mostly to see if the current/most recent swarm is under it or not.

M.

Addenum: A quick check of my email after I had posted this adds seven quakes from that region. Good spotting.

Correction: It seems most of of the quakes in my recent mail are UU -still- catching up from the weekend... go figure. Also it should be noted from 23rd-27th we've had 56 + quakes confirmed.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Moshpet]

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Moshpet]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
YMR is a broadband seismometer and its signals are not always due to local earthquakes occurring in Yellowstone. Local earthquakes with such amplitude would show also on nearby seismometers, which is not the case here.

Check the seismometer name:
YHZ SHZ WY

SHZ means that the seismometer the broadband type (it's very sensible and can capture waves from a wide range of frequencies and amplitudes).
EHZ means that it's the short/medium waves-only type and it's most useful to capture waves caused by local and regional earthquakes.

[edit on 2009/5/27 by Shirakawa]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I see a bunch of telesiesms (however it is spelled) in the later afternoon from distant events. They are -still- processing the weekend's quake data as I have been getting a email of a 1.+ every 5-10 minutes... and it's Wednesday.

Though as to today's readings I did some rudimentary checking for distant events and didn't really find much that would account for -all- the activity. I suspect most of it is run-off / ground water related, though part of today's readings at YMR look similar to the readings on the 15th. (I tried a rough page blink comparison of today & the 15th.)

I half ways predict by the time they catch up on all the data, it'll be closing time Friday.

M.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I love You Tube. You can find almost anything. The link I'll provide, is for a PBS Nova program. It was one of the best I've ever seen. It changed the way I viewed geology. On the 12th of January, 1927, J. Harlen Bretz met with a panel of geologists to present his hypothesis. He was dismissed outright. Many years later he was proven correct. He was a geologist and he was mocked and rejected by his peers because of the audacity and scale of his claims. I state that the same thing is happening to my ideas. And Bretz was a geologist, at least he got a hearing before he was dismissed. I can't get a hearing.

www.youtube.com...

I made a mistake when I rushed out my conclusion about Sodom and Gomorrah. For the record, the ejected magma vapourized and was turned into sulfur dioxide. Then it combined with the oxygen from the firestorm and this produced sulfur trioxide. Which when combined with water produces Sulfuric Acid. SO3 + H20= H2 SO4. I missed a step. What the hell. It's a complex system.

The Nova program gave me a great appreciation of the power of water.
The power of volcanoes was made apparent to me when I understood the power of an extinction event 250 million years ago.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I really appreciate all the work ya all are doing keeping us informed to whats happening at Yellow Stone, but is any one watching the other calderas around the globe, and are they showing any signs of life?

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I'm not sure how this feature would connect to the Yellowstone region, but this is happening right now-

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

There will be a team out there soon. Flikr had some good pics from somebody's vacation, but I didn't save the links.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I forgot about travel time for events, 08:24 for a spike from the 7.0(ish) in Honduras at 08:31 UTC time in the park. *Sheepish* So the sensors in YS registered the Honduras quake about 7 minutes later. Nice big bump on all the sensors though.

M.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Moshpet]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by winotka
reply to post by LDragonFire

I'm not sure how this feature would connect to the Yellowstone region, but this is happening right now-

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

There will be a team out there soon. Flikr had some good pics from somebody's vacation, but I didn't save the links.

i dont think it has anything to do with YS bu t thanks for the info.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
YMR gonna wild again...

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Some stations pick up even the wind.

What about this later though-

www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Guys, check out webicorders from May 25 2009 on this page:
theinterveners.org...

That was a mini swarm of earthquakes from magnitude 1 to 3 occurred near YML station.
Keep in mind that when notable earthquakes occur, they are very visible and recognizable, even if they're small.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
okay ..now YSS is responding north of eastern uplift..

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

FYI, YSS isn't a valid station name, though YSB (Soda Butte) is
Looking at the recent quake list around 19:27 (the telisiesm between the large spots at 18:20 UTC & the bump at 20:20(ish) ) the Virgin Islands quake shows up. The rest are either local events or possible weather related.

It's raining in Yellowstone currently, and I suspect a goodly portion of the day, which will likely make the sensors a bit wonky. You can see the rain via the Mt. Washburn webcam www.nps.gov...

That said there are some notable bumps recorded in the YMR plot that do not correspond to any distant activity. Though it could be picking up thunder
so like always we'll be waiting on UU to get them sorted out. Oddly enough the PR quakes didn't register on the MR sensors. *shrug*

M.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Moshpet]

new topics

top topics

<< 458  459  460    462  463  464 >>

join