It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France bans head coverings but allows Christianity to be mocked at Olympics.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

As I said .... there is no 'persecution complex'.

It's not like they were honoring Christianity up there.

(and for slow idiots .. that's called being facetious)

Obviously it was mocking Christianity and the Christian God.

Something that is out of place at the Olympics where everyone
is supposed to be playing nice and getting along.
edit on 7/29/2024 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Militant atheist?

Yes.

Let’s compare my posts to yours in determining who’s militant.

You lose.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

I had this exact same thought. What did we expect? The French have never had an issue letting Americans know how they feel about them. They've always had that holier-than-thou attitude towards us and our culture, so this shouldn't come as any surprise whatsoever.

On a side note, Gojira opening the ceremony was a moment in metal history I'm so glad I was alive to see.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

To all the posters who claimed it wasn't the Last Supper.

People have found screen shots of the participants talking about it being about Jesus.

A few hours after, once the complaints starting coming in, those posts were deleted and replaced with a story about the Greek painting.

So, yes, they were 100% gaslighting people.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Annee
Militant atheist?

Yes.

Let’s compare my posts to yours in determining who’s militant.

You lose.

No, I don’t.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I am a pagan.

I have felt my fair share of anger, disrespect, and prejudice for my religion, and it doesn't usually come from where you think it would. I have met people in the pagan community, who are usually as open to myriad themes and beliefs as a community can be, judge and throw shade at people for who they worship.

I hope that some of the posters in this thread can give me their opinions on why we constantly allow people to be preconceived based on their faith (or lack of), but not on other characteristics. I would hope people would be equally outraged by the timing if China or Russia hosted the games and, based on their cultural history, insulted the LGBTQ+, Hindu, or Black communities with their opening ceremonies. Somehow, I bet the roles in this thread would be reversed.
edit on 29-7-2024 by BigDuckEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDuckEnergy

Well, I think if you are going to, say allow muslims to hang out with your kids, then you can reasonably expect them to get groomed, stabbed or brainwashed into going abroad and joining ISIS.

The rest...well, lets just say, stereotypes are that for a reason

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

As I said .... there is no 'persecution complex'.

Then why do you keep bringing it up?

It's not like they were honoring Christianity up there.

Why would you expect that they should? Ancient Olympian athletic events were banned by Christians in the 3rd Century for their Pagan expression. Even restarting the Olympic Games again defies that old Christian authoritarianism.

Obviously it was mocking Christianity and the Christian God.

Obviously, it was honoring Dionysus, Bachus and other PAGAN gods, that were associated with the ancient celebration of the Olympian athletic games. If that mocks your belief, I suggest you get thicker skin.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Obviously, it was honoring Dionysus, Bachus and other PAGAN gods, that were associated with the ancient celebration of the Olympian athletic games. If that mocks your belief, I suggest you get thicker skin.

Nah, sitting in a line like that, the morbidly obese bird in the middle wearing a halo, obviously meant to call to mind the last supper. It's only being rowed back now cos there is so much anger about it.

edit on thpMon, 29 Jul 2024 12:42:06 -050020242024-07-29T12:42:06-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: quoting like a boss

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Daughter2v2

Yes that is the theme, the fall of man. That is what the allegory of the crucifixion was. Thus this depiction, of kind of an orgy, seems more accurate, than the absolutely morbid interpretation that is common today, killing a man in the most cruel way imaginable.

There is no good evidence to think Romans crucified anybody, as a cruel and unusual torture execution, let alone Jesus, just for implicitly telling the Jews they were hypocrites for their treatment of John The Baptist.

What an evil bunch the Christians really are, getting bent out of shape, for interpreting the crucifixion as sex, instead of death, pouting that they aren’t allowed to respond with violence.

No apology is necessary IMO just clarification.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You obviously did not see my other posts.

People took screen shots of the participants social media accounts right after the performance.

They were explicitly saying it was about Jesus. Once the complaints came in, those posts were deleted and replaced with the other story.

It was absolutely 100% done to mock Jesus.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Those big Pagan feasting table were one the first things the Catholic Church banned.

Images of the Last Supper, depicting a final feast for the dying god some 1200 years later, were just another Pagan throw-back of the Church, that they would pull out of their bag of tricks to placate the (pagan) masses with Christian overlays, for holidays like Sol Invictus, Saturnalia, as well as the Spring Virgin / fertility maiden festivals, et al.

Everything Christian is a copy of more ancient myths. EVERYTHING!

edit on 2820242024k03America/Chicago2024-07-29T13:03:28-05:0001pm2024-07-29T13:03:28-05:00 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 01:07 PM
link   

No one is denying that christianity nicked all the good bits from paganism, but that scene was an homage to the painting of the last supper.

Youd have to be blind not to see it, or as dishonest as a muslim.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 01:07 PM
link   

IMO, this performance was the most honorable of Christianity, that I have ever seen.

It is those worshipping a dead naked guy nailed to a cross, which I find sickening.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoubleDNH

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: TinfoilTophat

The IOC has also disrespected every athlete there and decent humans everywhere by allowing a convicted child rapist (convicted of raping a 12 year old) compete for Netherlands men's volleyball team.

Unfortunately this means I won't be watching. I was really looking forward to Nikola Jokic playing basketball for Serbia, too.

Honestly, thats your loss... the games have been fantastic this year so far!

I'm sure they are but I refuse to support an organization which enables child rapists to participate

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Meanwhile, actual Christians, yes the ones screeching about mockery actually post these:

So,uhhh...seems like selective outrage
edit on 29-7-2024 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 01:55 PM
link   
here comes the orange man bad tie-in lol

surprised ... not

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 01:56 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

No one is denying that christianity nicked all the good bits from paganism, but that scene was an homage to the painting of the last supper.

Youd have to be blind not to see it, or as dishonest as a muslim.

... and those who were involved in it admitted that they were mocking the Last Supper, which is a major part of the Christian beliefs.

posted on Jul, 29 2024 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ByeByeAmericanPie
IMO, this performance was the most honorable of Christianity, that I have ever seen..

Then you know nothing about Christianity.
I'd pity you, but I have a feeling it's willful ignorance on your part.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join