It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plus-size lady who petitioned for free-extra plane seats now calls on hotels to enlarge hallways

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Being too tall or too short is 100% different than choosing to be overweight.

One cannot decide to be too tall or too short but, 99% of those that are obese choose to be that way. There are those that, medically speaking, cannot lose weight. Not unheard of, but this is not the case here.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

One cannot decide to be too tall or too short but, 99% of those that are obese choose to be that way. There are those that, medically speaking, cannot lose weight. Not unheard of, but this is not the case here.

The reason for the obesity is secondary, if 69% of Americans are in the obese range then they are a majority and if your customers, patrons or patients then they should be accommodated at the very least, with seating and wider doorways, perhaps.

ETA

They are blaming the portion sizes people get from restaurants as a contributing cause...maybe McDonald's should make their food smaller?

www.forbes.com...
edit on q000000541031America/Chicago3838America/Chicago10 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Muldar

You have made an argument there is a causal link between her condition of pulmonary hypertension and obesity.

You made the argument in the OP that she was healthy.

The person of this story is quite young, only 26 years old, and she seems to be in good health without any medical issues

Can you prove this?

According to the link and her Instagram account it didn't say anything about chronic illnesses. So I assumed she doesn't have any problems related to obesity. She could have but she may not want to disclose it so I cannot speculate. I just said what I ve seen in the article.

You tried to relate pulmonary hypertension to obesity. But how? How do you know it was caused by her being obese??
edit on 2-10-2023 by Muldar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: PorkChop96

The reason for the obesity is secondary, if 69% of Americans are in the obese range then they are a majority and if your customers, patrons or patients then they should be accommodated at the very least, with seating and wider doorways, perhaps.

If you're obese you're taking great risks and mortality rates are much higher when you're obese from that young age.

I don't think there are many who share your view about 'inclusion' of obese or very obese people given the various demands she seems to have been making.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Wouldn’t really call her “plus-size” tbh.

More like life threateningly obese. Jesus.

One must be really big to need more hallway.

I can understand seats, but hallways ? Come on. Does she weigh 10,000 pounds ?

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   

The obesity scale in the Us so so flawed.

NFL lineman are considered to be obese, yet they are some of the most physical players on the team. They are only considered to be obese due to the high concentration of muscle/bulk in regards to their height.

It does not take much to be considered obese in this country, and I would venture to say that is most of that 69% number, are those that are built large but not fat by almost any other standard.

That is also a choice, McDonalds does not force you to get a large anytime you walk in to get a meal. You are the only one who chooses how much food you eat, not anyone else. Unless you are seeing a dietitian
edit on 2-10-2023 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: stevieray

Well she may just want more hallway space with passing other people and we really don't know her BMI now do we?

link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I am not too fat, it´s everything around me that is too small. Somebody must stop this discrimination instantly, change the world for my fat a$$!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 10:57 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Well she may just want more hallway space with passing other people and we really don't know her BMI now do we?

Oh of course. I knew there’d be a perfect excuse for the inexplicable and inexcusable.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 10:58 AM
link   

edit on 2-10-2023 by stevieray because: (no reason given)

link   

Oh of course. I knew there’d be a perfect excuse for the inexplicable and inexcusable.

What is her BMI then we can go from there.

link   
My goodness. I've never read as much bile in my life. Think on this "there but by the grace of God go I". No matter what size/shape she or anyone else is, they have a right, yes a right, to enjoy whatever you enjoy and if that's safe comfortable air travel so be it. Oh yeah, all you 5 foot 6 inch people that can roll up in an economy seat look down on anyone not like you.
And I agree with her.

I am 6foot 6 inches tall, not overweight but it cost me a lot more to fly than other people and in fact most times cannot travel because it's impossible for me to sit in any economy seating and even the majority of leg room seats are extra narrow. The last time I flew, in a leg room seat, I had to cram myself into the seat but when I got home I had to have physiotherapy on my hips. So next time you all want to cast aspersions just think how lucky you are cos you are a "normal" size.

And please don't BS on about "ah but airlines are private companies and can do and charge what they want". They offer a service and should be made to accommodate everyone no mater what the disability or size.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 11:00 AM
link   

You tried to relate pulmonary hypertension to obesity. But how? How do you know it was caused by her being obese??

I did no such thing.

Again, you claimed she's only 26 and is healthy. But, I linked that she's had 25 hospital stays AND that she has pulmonary hypertension, That's is not healthy.

Being in and out of homeless shelters as a teenager isn't healthy either.

What I'm doing is calling you out for fat shaming a young lady, who you assert chooses to be morbidly obese and inflict her suffering on the public, because of her own bad choices.

edit on 2-10-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 11:02 AM
link   

BMI and weight are two completely different things.

If one is 4' 2" and weighs 120 pounds, they are morbidly obese. As is if they were 6' 3" and weigh 260 pounds.

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 11:02 AM
link   

so is that 69% come from your fine researching skills, making sh@@ up to get on the virtue band wagon is not a flattering look.

(Washington, DC – September 21, 2023) – Over the past two decades obesity rates have climbed for all population groups with certain populations of color experiencing the highest rates, often due to structural barriers to healthy eating and a lack of opportunities and places to be physically active. Nationally, 41.9 percent of adults have obesity. Black and Latino adults have the highest obesity rates at 49.9 percent and 45.6 percent respectively. People living in rural communities have higher rates of obesity than people living in urban and suburban areas.
State of Obesity 2023: Better Policies for a Healthier America

Obesity is a common, serious, and costly disease The US obesity prevalence was 41.9% in 2017 – March 2020. (NHANES, 2021) From 1999 –2000 through 2017 –March 2020, US obesity prevalence increased from 30.5% to 41.9%. During the same time, the prevalence of severe obesity increased from 4.7% to 9.2%. (NHANES, 2021) Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer. These are among the leading causes of preventable, premature death. The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the United States was nearly $173 billion in 2019 dollars. Medical costs for adults who had obesity were $1,861 higher than medical costs for people with healthy weight.
Adult Obesity Facts

hey are blaming the portion sizes people get from restaurants as a contributing cause...maybe McDonald's should make their food smaller?

They are blaming the portion sizes people get from restaurants as a contributing cause...maybe McDonald's should make their food smaller?

some more flawed fine research. ever heard of Shrinkflation?

here a whole search page,
are fast food restaurants meals smaller now
edit on 2-10-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 11:06 AM
link   

A little more research on this woman shows her as:

"A Plus Size Multi-Racial Woman living with disabilities, Jae'lynn is dedicated to promoting body acceptance as a Marginalized Body Advocate. Through her engaging and informative content, she inspires others to love their bodies, own who they are, and speak their truth. Her expertise covers a range of topics, including plus size travel, plus-size-friendly products, plus size fashion, and plus size lifestyle. She also provides valuable recommendations for plus size-friendly products and travel products that cater to the unique needs of the plus size community."

jaebaeproductions.com...

Guess what? she is living with disabilities which implies she takes drugs, which may be a contributing factor to her condition.

On further research she has pulmonary hypertension.

There's no cure for pulmonary hypertension. But treatment is available to improve symptoms and prolong life, and to keep the disease from getting worse. You also may get treatments for any health problem that might be causing pulmonary hypertension.

It often takes some time to find the most appropriate treatment for pulmonary hypertension. The treatments are often complex. You usually need a lot of health checkups.

www.mayoclinic.org...

How many conditions and/or drugs cause one to be less mobile and/or gain weight?
edit on q000000071031America/Chicago0202America/Chicago10 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

That is also a choice, McDonalds does not force you to get a large anytime you walk in to get a meal. You are the only one who chooses how much food you eat, not anyone else. Unless you are seeing a dietitian

And you know that she's eating supersized McDonalds and that she's NOT seeing a dietitian?

JUST

You have no idea of her diet or her physical therapy routines.
edit on 2-10-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2023 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
My goodness. I've never read as much bile in my life. Think on this "there but by the grace of God go I". No matter what size/shape she or anyone else is, they have a right, yes a right, to enjoy whatever you enjoy and if that's safe comfortable air travel so be it. Oh yeah, all you 5 foot 6 inch people that can roll up in an economy seat look down on anyone not like you.
And I agree with her.

I am 6foot 6 inches tall, not overweight but it cost me a lot more to fly than other people and in fact most times cannot travel because it's impossible for me to sit in any economy seating and even the majority of leg room seats are extra narrow. The last time I flew, in a leg room seat, I had to cram myself into the seat but when I got home I had to have physiotherapy on my hips. So next time you all want to cast aspersions just think how lucky you are cos you are a "normal" size.

And please don't BS on about "ah but airlines are private companies and can do and charge what they want". They offer a service and should be made to accommodate everyone no mater what the disability or size.

I think the point is that some conditions / physical attributes are unavoidable (height, skin color, ADA) and some are things that people’s behaviors cause, and that the people can make an effort to change.

It would also be so much better for this lady if she was helped toward a diet / exercise / lifestyle solution, rather than encouraging her to just make selfish demands for immediate satisfaction through others’ cost and effort.

But no, of course not. We should help her to be loud and proud, get bigger and bigger, and make a list of new demands every 6 months.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join