It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why The USA Must End Drug Prohibition

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn
I have heard dealers even put fentanyl in marijuana, where buyers don't know but since they get more 'high'' they come back for more and so they without knowing getting addicted to fentanyl. So perhaps it's better when you regulate/register drugs users/buyers and let them get it for cheap and you know they got ''good'' drugs, without fentanyl and such in it.

Fentanyl is so tightly regulated that outside of a hospital setting or end of life Hospice setting there's no way a dealer could get enough of a supply from a corrupt doctor or pharmacist to meet street needs.

China ships it to Mexico, where it is processed and smuggled across the border.

MJ is now legally sold in many states, but addicts still prefer the MUCH cheaper street variety because the government regulations and taxes make it cost-prohibitive. Same thing would happen with legalizing all drugs; government control=higher prices=need for cheaper street drugs.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's good for you.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
a reply to: TheBadCabbie

Our society isn't mature enough to handle legalized drugs. It would only sink us further into the abyss. Alcohol is one thing, but narcotics are a different story.

Legalizing only normalizes societal rot.

My opinion is fk no.

It isn’t working out too well in SF, Philly, Seattle, etc.
There’s your test cases.
Hopefully people don’t pretend they just didn’t happen. Just to get their sophomoric thrill of everything legalised.
I smoked more than my share of weed as a young guy, and always had a leaning toward legalising that. But there are some unintended consequences. The new super weed is frying people, and causing addiction just as bad as the bad stuff. Everybody expected to legally smoke the old style ditchweed all day and night, but now it’s a real drug.
edit on 28-8-2023 by stevieray because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: marsend
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

It was only a few years back, the argument you are using, was used against people who some people call gay. It is a bit like one finger pointing outwards yet three are pointing back.

Which became todays trans-mania / drag queens and kiddy grooming / diddling, in short order.
Not the best analogy lol.
Maybe you shoulda used that quaint little first-trimester only abortion promise…… no, wait ….

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

The new super weed is frying people, and causing addiction just as bad as the bad stuff. Everybody expected to legally smoke the old style ditchweed all day and night, but now it’s a real drug.

Seems like it's Okay to admit to things these days.
In the 70s I could smoke two joints by myself and feel good.

But in the 80s, much stronger stuff, one big hit off of a pipe would render me incapacitated. I had to quit.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
In my state, Washington State, marijuana use is legal and there are even recreational dispensaries. It has only improved the quality of life of everyone in the state. The prices are rock bottom and people are very happy. I have not heard of any negative effects whatsoever.

It’s quite possible that you haven’t noticed all the people laying around the city, because you are so darkly baked yourself ?

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
a reply to: stevieray

The new super weed is frying people, and causing addiction just as bad as the bad stuff. Everybody expected to legally smoke the old style ditchweed all day and night, but now it’s a real drug.

Seems like it's Okay to admit to things these days.
In the 70s I could smoke two joints by myself and feel good.

But in the 80s, much stronger stuff, one big hit off of a pipe would render me incapacitated. I had to quit.

I knew different groups of buddies who just drove around place to place, smoking a few bowls or bones everywhere they went. All day all night. Was easy to do when you’re in school.
Getting hired by Uncle Sam in 1983 put an end to my career in getting high. I enjoyed the gig, didn’t want to get tossed out.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow
Simple answer to your OP.

Did you research any of the Nations that have Legalized basically all Drugs ? How did it turn out for them ?

Mate Drugs are one of the Greatest Evils to ever befall mankind next to Religion.

Portugal, not legalised but decriminalised, all drugs. There is a difference and it's worked out really well for them. No reason why it wouldn't be the same in other countries.

There's lots of valid reasons why decriminalising makes sense, in a sane society anyway.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone
I think you aught to research a bit more. The banning of marijuana was nothing to do with drugs. That was part of the excuse. One must understand the marijuana/hemp plant was and is very versatile, not just for drugs. If you look at the main protagonists to banning it in the 1930s were W R Hearst, A W Mellon and the Du Pont family and it was over the versatility of the plant and it's ease of proliferation as ,in the right circumstances, you can get 3 crops a year. It was never about the drug side.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

So you believe that individuals DON'T have the right to choose what they can put into their body?

Cigarettes, caffeine, sugar. All addictive, all legal. Where's the medical use there?

If there's a death penalty for drug dealers, why not a death penalty for gun sellers? They both sell potentially dangerous products that could end a life.

Our laws lack consistency and we lack autonomy.

Every adult should have the right to put whatever they want into their own body, whether it's drugs, carbs, piercings, vaccines or penis.

If we don't have that right then that means we are not the masters of ourselves, the government is.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CloneFarm1000

Tobacco is addictive and should be banned as a product. Yes. The amount of resources wasted on health care for prior addicts alone should justify it's removal. Our health system, if ever nationalised, would justify banning tobacco.

Caffeine and sugar are habit forming. So is MJ. But not really addicting. Tobacco is one of the most addictive substances known. Quitting was very very difficult and took almost 6 months for the constant craving to easy up.

Targetting children for a product to get them hooked and a lifelong customer should be illegal. I dont cae about personal autonomy. If someone wants to grow tobacco, have at it.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

What were nations like before drugs had become illegal? America existed for 161 years before it banned cannabis.

Some drugs just grow naturally on the planet.

Doesn't the idea of making nature illegal seem a bit unnatural?

You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them.

Because you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal fxxking high on drugs.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

There's a bit of "legalese" going on with weed legislation. Living in a state where it recently became legal I can say just from casual observation that's not what happened. They didn't legalize weed, they regulated it in a way that allows them to give preferential treatment to the criminal cartels that got them elected. Before the puppet governor we have now, the state was fine with just looking the other way and had been for decades. You had to really offend someone for it to matter. I had cops let me keep my weed on numerous occasions when they could have been dicks about it.

On the day it became legal, I'd been growing for 33 years to the day. Never had a problem because I never caused any.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: quintessentone
I think you aught to research a bit more. The banning of marijuana was nothing to do with drugs. That was part of the excuse. One must understand the marijuana/hemp plant was and is very versatile, not just for drugs. If you look at the main protagonists to banning it in the 1930s were W R Hearst, A W Mellon and the Du Pont family and it was over the versatility of the plant and it's ease of proliferation as ,in the right circumstances, you can get 3 crops a year. It was never about the drug side.

Well my research most likely preceded your research and so of course there would be different or other perspectives on this subject matter.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
I recall reading an old book back in the 70s where the history of why marijuana was made illegal by the government is because they didn't want a bunch of stoned lazy citizens or what they feared society would become, they wanted sober taxable slave workers not self-exploring with drugs.

Nah, that is just what they want you to think.

The real reason was Hemp was poised to be the fuel of choice for the newly burgeoning automobile industry, but Rockefeller was already well into the oil business, and decided to lobby and have it outlawed.

I am a recovered (some say always recovering) drug addict and alcoholic, now 35+ years sober, and I say, all drugs should be decriminalized when it comes to simple possession and use. Tax and regulate it just like we do alcohol and tobacco now.

I'd also be in favor of the death penalty for anyone caught pushing it on children.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
a reply to: TheBadCabbie
My opinion is fk no.

So you are against true freedom and liberty - and yes, responsibility and accountability - at the individual level?

The fact is, the federal government does not have the lawful Constitutionally delegated authority/power to outlaw drugs. My evidence in support?

It took a Constitutional Amendment to outlaw alcohol, and another one to repeal it. Why should it not take t he same thing for each and every drug out there?

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBadCabbie
What I do advocate for is an end to imprisonment for drug use. It is barbaric.

People get addicted to meth, coke, opioids, etc etc. They then do illegal things to support their drug habits and they become useless zombies, drains on society, with the tax payer picking up the bill for their drug rehab or for their basic needs of housing, food, etc. For whatever reason they started it, they can't stop. The drugs should remain illegal, IMHO. They are BAD for the people and they are bad for America as a whole.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CloneFarm1000
So you believe that individuals DON'T have the right to choose what they can put into their body?.

Not if it effects me. And having all those drugs be legalized WOULD. Like I said, they'd become hopeless addicts and useless to society. Taxpayers would be picking up the bill for their healthcare, rehab, housing, food, etc. And I don't want to be walking through my neighborhood having to step over used needles and having to dodge drug addicts who are out looking to mug people to get drug money.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

originally posted by: Pluginn
I have heard dealers even put fentanyl in marijuana, where buyers don't know but since they get more 'high'' they come back for more and so they without knowing getting addicted to fentanyl. So perhaps it's better when you regulate/register drugs users/buyers and let them get it for cheap and you know they got ''good'' drugs, without fentanyl and such in it.

Fentanyl is so tightly regulated that outside of a hospital setting or end of life Hospice setting there's no way a dealer could get enough of a supply from a corrupt doctor or pharmacist to meet street needs.

China ships it to Mexico, where it is processed and smuggled across the border.

MJ is now legally sold in many states, but addicts still prefer the MUCH cheaper street variety because the government regulations and taxes make it cost-prohibitive. Same thing would happen with legalizing all drugs; government control=higher prices=need for cheaper street drugs.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's good for you.

I did some reading but I read the reason why you see those zombies often in the US, where they stand up but with their heads pointing down, it's because of ‘tranq’ (maybe wrong translation in english), a mix of pain killers and xylazine (horse anesthetic something), anyways it must be cheap or easy to get. They could mix it with any drugs or like marijuana.
Just because black market, and ways to get them come back for more faster. But getting drugs now is very dangerous and more deadly.
Drugs ain't expensive when you regulate it and where profit isn't important, a government can control prices, can make it cheap very easy!. And this way people get what they want and know it's not mixed with horse stuff and very heavy pain killers and you don't have people in this black market making big money.

And of course when they buy their drugs but registered, offer them help with programs to help them with their addictions on top of that! But government doesn't care but they should!
And after no more addicted offer them help with housing, jobs and such.

But again most homeless and many not heavy drugs users are not in sight, living in their cars or hide in some forest or something. Would you go there when you become homeless, maybe later when you do use drugs more and more. And again it's very hard to cope with the suffering when homeless, it becomes hard to cope with reality when you are homeless, lost everything/everyone ( a roof above you head, family, friends, hope for a future!).

Extreme example but in sight!:

edit on 29-8-2023 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

extra DIV

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Pluginn

Drugs ain't expensive when you regulate it and where profit isn't important, a government can control prices, can make it cheap very easy!

The government always increases the cost of products; that's why users still buy their MJ on the streets or grow their own.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
a reply to: Pluginn

Drugs ain't expensive when you regulate it and where profit isn't important, a government can control prices, can make it cheap very easy!

The government always increases the cost of products; that's why users still buy their MJ on the streets or grow their own.

Oh sure they can and do but they also can choose not doing so with (hard) drugs. Beer is still cheap in my country...
Cigarettes not.

Maybe gasoline is a drug as well, very expensive over here, but many can't do without!
Make gasoline, illegal, a war against gasoline! Let the black market take it over, where they mix it with much cheaper stuff where your engine dies fast! Good business for the car industry as well!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join