It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A note on Censorship, Misinformation, Disinformation, and Cointelpro

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Darko

If you have to ask then it's probably not a good idea for you to post here but I commend you for your self reflection. That's one step in the right direction!

This is quite the response to a long-time poster asking a direct question directly relevant to your OP.

Especially from a mod.

But good to know. Very good to know.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 04:40 PM
link   
OFF TOPIC - removed to prevent thread drifting
edit on 9-5-2023 by Darko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

If you have to ask then it's probably not a good idea for you to post here but I commend you for your self reflection. That's one step in the right direction!

This is quite the response to a long-time poster asking a direct question directly relevant to your OP.

Especially from a mod.

I can take care of that problem for you. Now you're no longer a "long time poster:". Win win situation

edit on 7-5-2023 by Darko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darko

Especially from a mod.

I can take care of that problem for you. Now you're no longer a "long time poster:". Win win situation

Baby, don't you think that's a bit overkill? I mean, the anti-trans agenda (or shall I say, the 'anti-anti-trans agenda" or whatever) is a fierce thing to contend with, but we have to allow for disagreement or else we're a friggin' cult, lol.

edit on 07pmSun, 07 May 2023 18:49:28 -0500k2023 by Mrs Darko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 06:52 PM
link   

My avatar,I use it as I used it on 4 chan. I am a former Anon. We only did stuff for the LULZ and the Keks. We didnt have any lofty ideals or protest in mind.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 06:58 PM
link   

edit on 7-5-2023 by Darko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Especially from a mod.

Another long term poster who actually brought reasoned, evidenced arguments to these boards.....gone.

I'll reiterate what I said to you the first time we crossed paths.

"The grass is greener where you water it."

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 07:06 PM
link   
woke up and still feel the same.. so, this is irrelevant now.
edit on 8-5-2023 by Darko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I'm not a long term poster, mainly because I don't post much all though I started in '06. But I signed back on and was looking at some of my old posts from my old SN and I saw this thing I wrote and thought it might be relevant...

"My starting point was that we, who often bring up some very qustionable theories, have a hard time getting people to listen. That's why this board is here, so we can throw out our "crackpot" ideas to a group of open minded individuals."
edit on 7-5-2023 by quercusrex because: Spelling and syntax

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 07:40 PM
link   

a reply to: Mrs Darko

You remember the way we were on that forum where we met? Everyone was always expounding on everyone else's research, adding to idea, no one was ridiculed and we were a community. People didn't screw around over there and we used to bitch to each other because the radio show host stole our research and didn't give us credit for it!

But we've evolved WAY beyond that over the last 20 years and so has the flow of information. how many times do we have to harp on about the same thing over and over and over again?

Sweetie, just bc ppl haven't been down the same road we have, doesn't mean they won't end up at the same place we are now - Remember when that super mod banned you and I intervened with him on your behalf, and got you reinstated? I said the same thing then as I'm saying now:

"We don't have to think the same exact way to be on the same side ; Ultimately, it's US vs. the CONTROLLERS, not vs. each OTHER."

You've been working out of your office all weekend and I'm lonely ; So, unban him, get your ass in the bedroom, and come get some much-needed and well-deserved rest. You're juggling way too many things at once and I miss you.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 07:52 PM
link   
yea, we would have never met IRL if that didn't happen and we would have never gotten married. So you're right (as always).

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 08:20 PM
link   
double post
edit on 8-5-2023 by Darko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 08:43 PM
link   

a reply to: Boadicea

Can you help me understand the reasoning behind this because I've seen the same from about 20 other people which is really odd for me. Why is there a group of people OK with censoring certain topics and hyper-focusing on one topic that isn't even being banned, just simply asked to frame that doesn't make ATS look trashy?

I have seen this as well - it doesn't make sense unless either:
1) the posters saying this know that they cannot control themselves and/or have an inability to discern what's appropriate to post and what's not (which is kinda commendable, if you really think about it), or
2) They want ATS 2.0 to fail, by either making us look like tyrants (causing long-standing members to become offended/leave/encourage others to follow, or by having the site shut down entirely bc of what you're predicting, with possible charges against US and/or our staff, as a result. Either way, it's a win-win for them, regardless.

I say we call them out, but don't ban unless absolutely necessary.
edit on 07pmSun, 07 May 2023 20:44:00 -0500k2023 by Mrs Darko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Just don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Changes on the site are happening. This is a good thing most members don't mind, they're concerned. Rules and policies don't change the experiences or the functional reality we faced in the past though. We also have members that no longer consume everything and they may have no idea what's going on. You, your plans, your level of honesty, your sense of fairness or justice, may be all complete unknowns to them. How they're informed of those things is a continuous process until sufficient foundational trust is built.

People are going to feel however they feel and it matters little in the grand scheme of things, but random acts of moderation are one of the concerns that was brought up several times across the discussions on new standards.

If the new standards work and the moderators are on the same page, then this will slowly work itself out without losing or alienating those you want here. That will work itself out on the regular forums, not in board business and questions.

As it relates to the topic, overreaction to offense is a key element that bad actors have depended on to shift discussion from topics. It's still happening here in some spots, though it's been curtailed a bit already. Even in the absence of active attempts to use this tactic, it isn't a bad idea to consider how reflexive behavior is largely what determines our resilience to targeted manipulation. That's just the kid stuff and being hardened against it eliminates the bulk of unskilled agent's toolboxes, whatever their origin or agenda.

It's probably not news to you that psychological warfare starts in your head, long before the bad guys ever lift a finger.

I put a lot of time into the post and it appears that everything was ignored and that person was simply just stirring up just to add fuel to the fire.

This is good for adding some perspective.

Imagine having had this happen to you dozens, scores, or hundreds of times over several years with no ban button at the ready. All by people that have operated with relative impunity because the site has had no real direction, no active elimination of those that use these tactics. Those tactics fit no checklist or T&C definition. Over and over, with intent, they throw it at you.

Then, imagine you get banned by those that have allegedly come to fix it in the thread they discuss exactly those tactics in. The very first time you're perceived to be doing that bad thing you've endured so much, so much that you mostly abandoned the site, you're banned. That's probably a polite description of how you may perceive it on the receiving end, with the swearing and gnashing of teeth omitted.

Edited to add that this is helpful context for that too. Many things here won't make sense unless you account for a years long effort to manipulate the site and those who post on it. Even if those efforts were not always in concert or for the same goals, they have systemic effects.
edit on 5/7/23 by Ksihkehe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This is probably one of the BEST replies I've read on the forum. I'm going to send you a PM later tonight or tomorrow. I will reply when I do. But you're 100% on point. I was looking at your post history and you seem really active, even trying to organize funds to purchase the site. So I think you have your finger on the pulse pretty well. In fact, give me about half an hour and I'll send you a PM. I want to pick your brain about a few things. Thanks!

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Just don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Changes on the site are happening. This is a good thing most members don't mind, they're concerned. Rules and policies don't change the experiences or the functional reality we faced in the past though. We also have members that no longer consume everything and they may have no idea what's going on. You, your plans, your level of honesty, your sense of fairness or justice, may be all complete unknowns to them. How they're informed of those things is a continuous process until sufficient foundational trust is built.

People are going to feel however they feel and it matters little in the grand scheme of things, but random acts of moderation are one of the concerns that was brought up several times across the discussions on new standards.

If the new standards work and the moderators are on the same page, then this will slowly work itself out without losing or alienating those you want here. That will work itself out on the regular forums, not in board business and questions.

As it relates to the topic, overreaction to offense is a key element that bad actors have depended on to shift discussion from topics. It's still happening here in some spots, though it's been curtailed a bit already. Even in the absence of active attempts to use this tactic, it isn't a bad idea to consider how reflexive behavior is largely what determines our resilience to targeted manipulation. That's just the kid stuff and being hardened against it eliminates the bulk of unskilled agent's toolboxes, whatever their origin or agenda.

It's probably not news to you that psychological warfare starts in your head, long before the bad guys ever lift a finger.

I put a lot of time into the post and it appears that everything was ignored and that person was simply just stirring up just to add fuel to the fire.

This is good for adding some perspective.

Imagine having had this happen to you dozens, scores, or hundreds of times over several years with no ban button at the ready. All by people that have operated with relative impunity because the site has had no real direction, no active elimination of those that use these tactics. Those tactics fit no checklist or T&C definition. Over and over, with intent, they throw it at you.

Then, imagine you get banned by those that have allegedly come to fix it in the thread they discuss exactly those tactics in. The very first time you're perceived to be doing that bad thing you've endured so much, so much that you mostly abandoned the site, you're banned. That's probably a polite description of how you may perceive it on the receiving end, with the swearing and gnashing of teeth omitted.

Edited to add that this is helpful context for that too. Many things here won't make sense unless you account for a years long effort to manipulate the site and those who post on it. Even if those efforts were not always in concert or for the same goals, they have systemic effects.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 09:44 PM
link   

You have an older PM or two from me. No rush on responding to any. Something strange happened and I lost some sent and received messages, so I don't know if my reply to your first response ever made it through.

If my second message didn't get through I still have the almost finished version in my memos.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 05:46 AM
link   

"Uncover Truth " is a much better slogan than "Deny Ignorance"

How did that work out for Julian Assange. Can get pretty hot some of those potatoes. When the courts fails it can be a very tough spot, for example:

State of Corruption

Being aware these things go on can help falling in the same trap. As for what to do, each case on its own merits. Handling whistle blower info can be a tricky thing. ATS can help share some bits and links. Has been good a vetting some topics.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev

"Uncover Truth " is a much better slogan than "Deny Ignorance"

How did that work out for Julian Assange. Can get pretty hot some of those potatoes. When the courts fails it can be a very tough spot, for example:

State of Corruption

Being aware these things go on can help falling in the same trap. As for what to do, each case on its own merits. Handling whistle blower info can be a tricky thing. ATS can help share some bits and links. Has been good a vetting some topics.

I think the hardest part is getting through the cypher.

When you own and control the information being dispersed, you are going to make sure the only the information you want to be out there is going to be out there.

Anything that may slip through the cracks is easily handled with distraction or allowed to fade along with our short attention spans and short memories.

From the time of the eating of the apple until today, we are lured by the whispers of the serpent.

Truth is very hard to find, and is becoming harder to recognize.

The internet is like a sales bin. You have to look through a ton of trash before you find anything worth buying.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

You have to look through a ton of trash before you find anything worth buying.

Yeah. Gotta dig through a lot of dirt to find a few nuggets. ATS done well on covid, straight onto it sharing a lot of links and sources.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 06:39 AM
link   
So.....even after this well written post, it still comes down to the leftist agenda is out to get you. Not trolling at all but if this is yours and ATS's way of unifying the community, with one sided rhetoric, then you failed. This whole post, and it rounds out to Liberals bad and non liberals good. Of all places, the last I expected to choose the side of politicians and their desire to help us divide the country was ATS. Yet here we are. I mean, if this is a representation of the new thought process for ATS, stop the liberal agenda because all liberals want your kids gay, only liberals use psyops, then so much for freedom of speech. Can't have a sight that claims to be a bastion of free speech and include.....*gasp* liberals and democrats. Just come out and say "ATS actively chooses sides and let's members bully others who don't share the hate democrats agenda" . You can do it your own way, if it's done just how I say, huh? And don't say you don't hate. People wear their politics on their sleeves here, can't stop it from bleeding into every post.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join