It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California wants Midwest Water

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I wonder if parrot biden will declare a California water emergency and that is how other states will be forced into giving their water to California.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's nice but I don't see the relevance.

you said

Americans have been spoiled with the trifecta of abundance, convenience and low price. Try changing that mindset.

Smoking everywhere in general and also not wearing seat belts was so normalized that when it changed it was a HUGE thing. Some could say people were "spoiled" and had a certain mindset when it came to driving and smoking freedoms. Some thought it could never be changed, but look at us now.

Maybe you are't old enough to remember.

Buying food is similar. Yes we are used to plentiful and cheap foods from all over the globe. Maybe that has to change.
People will deal with it.
edit on 22-7-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships
Why are Americans "spoiled" as you claimed?

Because it's not sustainable, it causes huge issues with all of the people operating in the distribution and sourcing channels. The book I linked earlier shows that nearly all shrimp consumed in the United States is produced by slave labor. Why? Because people don't want to pay $35 a pound for shrimp harvested by people paid normal wages. I no longer buy shrimp from out of the United States but that really does nothing except ease my own guilt since the price is jacked up and supermarkets can say, 'Look, we have this cheaper stuff here, save yourself $10-15 a pound', to the people who don't want to pay more. It changes nothing.

Why should they change, as you chided?

I don't care if you change or not, you can continue to eat supermarket **** for breakfast, lunch and dinner for all that it matters to me.

edit on 22-7-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Smoking and seatbelts have nothing to do with the supermarket model and why our food is as ****ed as it is just like making kids wear a bike helmet doesn't have any bearing.

But I'll play, are you saying the government should step in and make people buy local and seasonal produce only?

edit on 22-7-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Back to my point.

California is the champion of the environment, of animal protection, consumer protection.

If that is truly the case, us buying food from them is probably horrible for all three.

yes yes, they produce a lot of cheap food, we already hashed that out.

Maybe our food has been too cheap for too long and we need to focus on quality over quantity, similar to Europe.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   

But I'll play, are you saying the government should step in and make people buy local and seasonal produce only?

I don't think the government is going to have to, it appears we are going to go down that path regardless.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
If that is truly the case, us buying food from them is probably horrible for all three.

It 100% is, but like I said, people DGAF. If they did they'd be conscious of what they put in their bodies, from where it was sourced, how it was held and then shipped.

But not nearly enough people care, that's why you have supermarkets and supermarket chains.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I don't think the government is going to have to, it appears we are going to go down that path regardless.

We aren't. California will get its water one way or another because people will not want to pay more for their food, it's been 100+ years of this type of ingrained behavior.

link   

California is the biggest hypocrite in all the states!!

www.latimes.com...

Local environmentalists say the bottled water pipeline doesn’t belong in the national forest and is removing precious water that would otherwise flow in Strawberry Creek and nourish the ecosystem. After nearly seven years of fighting against the extraction of water, activists say they hope California regulators will finally order BlueTriton Brands — the company that took over bottling from Nestlé last year — to drastically reduce its operation in the national forest.

“They’re sucking out so much water,” said Amanda Frye, one of the leading activists. “Imagine if all the springs were just allowed to naturally flow. We’d have a lot of water in here.”

link   
Most of the out-of-season produce where I live comes from Mexico. In season, locally grown produce bears a special sticker indicating it as such.

In the summer, I patronize farmer's markets. These are run by small local farmers and their product is out of this world. Beats everything grown in California for flavor.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:55 PM
link   

We aren't. California will get its water one way or another because people will not want to pay more for their food, it's been 100+ years of this type of ingrained behavior.

Things change, sometimes they change fast, and sometimes they change slow.

Water is and will always be more precious than food.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: VierEyes
Most of the out-of-season produce where I live comes from Mexico. In season, locally grown produce bears a special sticker indicating it as such.

In the summer, I patronize farmer's markets. These are run by small local farmers and their product is out of this world. Beats everything grown in California for flavor.

Exactly, want a side of ecoli with your tomatoes from Cali?

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Things change, sometimes they change fast, and sometimes they change slow.

They aren't changing without the government stepping in, it won't happen. Not in your lifetime and not in your kid's lifetime and maybe not even in their kid's lifetime.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I hope everyone grows their own. Then they will see even small scale agriculture isn't as easy as the California haters think it is.

One of the reasons fresh vegetables will skyrocket in price is because not enough labor to harvest it. It's more than just a water problem. And it's not locallized to just Cal. Citrus rotting on the ground in Fla. Americans won't pick it and work in the fields and orchards.

Crops rotting in the field today....

www.eatingwell.com...

edit on 22-7-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I hope everyone grows their own. Then they will see agriculture isn't as easy as the California haters think it is.

One of the reasons fresh vegetables will skyrocket in price is because not enough labor to harvest it. It's more than just a water problem.

Crops rotting in the field today....

www.eatingwell.com...

Can't speak for other areas but have you seen the midwest? It's mosty farms. We know how to grow here. We know how to raise cattle, pork and chicken.

The labor/harvest problem is everywhere. Soon enough it will all be mechanical harvesting anyways.
Like a previous poster said, California has absolutely nothing on the midwest, absolutely nothing. Seriously keep your nuts.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 02:18 PM
link   

snippet of Midwest farms

snippet of Cali farms

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The big difference is many of those Southern California farms can produce year round.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The big difference is many of those Southern California farms can produce year round.

Yes we get that. Guess who else grows year round, Florida, Georgia, Mexico, Chile etc.
There are other places that grow food that are probably more suited.

Maybe it was great that California could grow year round when water was plentiful. That isn't the case anymore.
That's why they need water now.

www.ppic.org...

In many parts of California, agricultural production has relied for decades on largely unregulated groundwater pumping. Groundwater overdraft in the San Joaquin Valley—the state’s largest farming region—has long been a problem. In response to the undesirable effects of overdraft such as dry wells, land subsidence, and declining drought reserves, California passed the landmark Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) in 2014. SGMA requires local groundwater sustainability agencies (GSAs) to end groundwater overdraft by 2040, while addressing the associated undesirable effects.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Yes we get that. Guess who else grows year round, Florida, Georgia, Mexico, Chile etc.

I noticed that none of those places were called 'the Midwest'. Did you?

Hopefully people like the fruit and vegetables you grow their in the winter when they all decide to do the local thing only.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join