It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California wants Midwest Water

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Wait on a second thought we do have wat3r to sell, it’s from Flint!!

Nope.
It is not available.
Not even Flint water.

Tell Calif to pound sand and to get that desalinization thing going.
And stop emptying reservoirs to safe tiny aquatic creatures.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Pistachio and almonds do much better in warmer weather and take decades to cultivate. No one smart is setting up an orchard for either in the Upper Midwest.

Avocados need climates with no frost, there is a variant in Florida but that also takes over a decade to establish an orchard.

California's growing capacity can be easily replaced.

No, actually, it can't. It will be very costly and that cost will be paid by the consumer. Do you like higher priced food? Didn't think so.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Pistachio and almonds do much better in warmer weather and take decades to cultivate. No one smart is setting up an orchard for either in the Upper Midwest.

Avocados need climates with no frost, there is a variant in Florida but that also takes over a decade to establish an orchard.

We can go without a lot of the crops California has. The midwest can absolutely sustain itself.
We have no shortage of food here. So what if it takes years to cultivate. I'd take that anyday over selling our water.

California can't survive without water but we absolutely can survive without their crops.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Tell Calif to pound sand and to get that desalinization thing going.
And stop emptying reservoirs to safe tiny aquatic creatures.

I'm not even kidding when I say a California resident dressed up as a plankton to protest a desalination plant...

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:30 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

Isn't that the truth!! I think they had rather maintain their hatred than help their own interests.

My best interest is water. I chose not to live in a desert climate. Everyone knows water is NUMERO UNO for survival. Screw Pistachos or avocado.
When I was growing up people didn't even know what an avocado was and most people only had pistachios for Christmas.

If you think it's only avocados and pistachios; Soon enough, you will see enormous price increases for many many agricultural products go thru the roof.

I feel blessed by the Great Spirit to live in a desert climate where the Rio Grande has been supplying the native population with water before America was even a country. The ditches supplying my water were in place before Columbus discovered America.

Hate away...eventually it will make you very sick physically.
edit on 22-7-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:34 PM
link   

We can go without a lot of the crops California has.

When the Upper Midwest stops buying produce from California, Arizona and Mexico let me know.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:35 PM
link   

If you think it's only avocados and pistachios; Soon enough, you will see enormous price increases for many many agricultural products go thru the roof.

I feel blessed by the Great Spirit to live in a desert climate where the Rio Grande has been supplying the native population with water before America was even a country. The ditches supplying my water were in place before Columbus discovered America. Hate away...

Yes I'll admit California produces a lot of food. Yes food prices will go up. You know what that might trigger the most environmentally sound thing to happen. For people to eat locally, and seasonally.

California is a huge producer of strawberries. They are also known as the dirty dozen. Sprayed with so many chemicals to keep them looking good for the stores. Those strawberries are terrible. We grow amazing delicious strawberries here. They survive nicely over winter. One year I had so many I have to pull a bunch out.

Don't call me a hater because I think it is ridiculous irresponsible people want to alter mother nature due to their own poor actions. Maybe there are places humans shouldn't live. I'm not just talking California. Same could be said about some coastal areas that get hit by hurricanes every decade.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   

When the Upper Midwest stops buying produce from California, Arizona and Mexico let me know.

I will
but for now we get to enjoy cheap produce and plentiful water.

PS keep Mexico out of this! This is about
California and the Midwest. But since you brought it up, im sure Mexico will happily take California's place as a top produce producer.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I will
but for now we get to enjoy cheap produce and plentiful water.

That cheap produce comes from places not named 'Wisconsin'.

PS keep Mexico out of this! This is about
California and the Midwest. But since you brought it up, im sure Mexico will happily take California's place as a top produce producer.

Why? Mexico grows a ton of our food and I don't think it's a good idea. I'm all for vertical farming, it allows food to be grown within a close proximity to where it is consumed which means it's fresher and healthier while also not being a drain on the environment.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:44 PM
link   

That cheap produce comes from places not named 'Wisconsin'.

Here's the weird thing about Wisconsin. It gets so cold in the winter, but our soil is fertile and during the warm season we can grow almost anything. As we speak I have a fig tree growing like crazy outside. We have all kinds of fruits and veggies that grow here. It is so lush and beautiful here. You could drop a seed on the ground and it'll grow. Yes it is not warm year round, that's why people learned to can and preserve.

Local produce IS cheap here. Garlic, zucchini, pumpkins, CORN, soybean, I could list so many more....

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Local produce IS cheap here. Garlic, zucchini, pumpkins, CORN, soybean, I could list so many more....

I guarantee you that if I walked into one of the supermarkets there that the produce is mostly from out of state, that's how it works now. And not only will it be from out of state, it will likely be months old. But guess what? Shmucks still buy it.

edit on 22-7-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Don't call me a hater because I think it is ridiculous irresponsible people want to alter mother nature due to their own poor actions. Maybe there are places humans shouldn't live. I'm not just talking California. Same could be said about some coastal areas that get hit by hurricanes every decade.

I called you a hater; not because of your environmental stance, but because apparently you hate the people in liberal states.

imo...you're looking at some serious health issues because of it.

edit on 22-7-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Eventually the States will just pillage Canada's fresh water.

Giving away resources is what Canada does best.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I called you a hater; not because of your environmental stance, but because apparently you hate the people in liberal states.

I don't care if it is the most Republican state in the world, if they are trying to siphon our natural resources I'd hate them too. I am not a liberal or conservative. I do think that liberal policies can be very hypocritcal. As I linked in the article California doesn't want to desalinate because of the environmental impact but they have ZERO problem doing that to other states.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I guarantee you that if I walked into one of the supermarkets there that the produce is mostly from out of state, that's how it works now. And not only will it be from out of state, it will likely be months old. But guess what? Shmucks still buy it.

Depends on which supermarket. Sure if you go to Walmart, which I don't shop at.
We do have some grocery stores that buy locally. It actually says it, locally grown. How about that?

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Depends on which supermarket. Sure if you go to Walmart, which I don't shop at.
We do have some grocery stores that buy locally. It actually says it, locally grown. How about that?

Any supermarket chain with a DC is doing it, that's the model used for some time. Don't kid yourself that they are buying local, it costs much more.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies
No one lives out in flyover, duh!

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Hey California, F - OFF!!
invest in desalination!

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Build a reservoir? ... in California?

I hear the green lobby. They found something endangered. They say no, no matter how much you want to spite Texas.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

California sure. But Arizona as well and Nevada too. Look at Vegas. Huge vacation destination has been growing and growing and growing way past any sense of real sustainability. Now they have huge sports centers and major league teams. And everything built on sand. And what about Arizona. Wasn't Arizona known as the Badlands? Kinda predictive huh?

To me it seems easy to put all the blame on California but what was built in California on unsustainable practices was also built in Arizona and Nevada. Just because California is a predictable blue state and Arizona and Nevada swing states makes no difference on the expansionist building that has gone on there.

Want to practice capitalistic real estate development? Find cheap land to build on and get the Federal Government to make it more livable by having them build dams and lakes and waterways to supply the desert with water. Then sell those homes and towns for a profit. Seems pretty simple to me.

I remember a book way back about water for San Francisco. The water in SF sucked for numerous reasons one of which was it had no rivers flowing into it. It was a city at the tip of a peninsula. So what did they do, the city bosses? They had a dam built over two hundred miles away up in the Sierras called Hetch Hetchy. Filled a valley with mountain water the size of Yosemite Valley and piped the water down the mountain, over the plain to SF.

Swell idea but one of the most under reported things about that venture was the route that pipeline took to reach the city. They took it South around the bottom of the Bay and up the peninsula into the city. The thing was was that all of the city elite lived in along the peninsula with their grand estates and farms and gardens. So they got the sweet mountain water for their own luxury before the city denizens did.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join