It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California wants Midwest Water

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Build a desalinization plan and get your own damn water .

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
They can't have our water. They live off the coast, start up some Desalination plants, both expensive high tech ones and low cost natural DIY ones.

yep they have a few and more in the works but look at their capacity compared to South Africa and Spain, more desalination plants sound more feasible than an aqueduct from the Mississippi

Till every lawn in California looks like this, California uses 9% of its water for landscaping, households in Sonoma county use 51% of their water on their lawns

priceonomics.com...

While there is a debate about how much emphasis should be put on conservation from lawns, even defenders of the lawn believe that there are a variety of ways water could be saved from residential landscaping. A report from the University of California Cooperative Extension argues that improved irrigation and plant care practices (such as fixing leaks, optimizing the time of day for irrigation, and cutting grass at a higher height) can lead to significant water reductions.

Beyond just changing watering practices, many conservationists are proponents of replacing conventional lawn grasses with less water thirsty alternatives. There are a variety of options for those looking to transform their lawn: Switching to “low maintenance, drought resistant grasses,” introducing plant species like shrubs and trees, using native plants, or even installing astroturf or xeriscaping, which can lead to little or no water usage at all.

We used research from the University of California’s Centre for Landscape and Urban Horticulture to estimate the gallons of water necessary in a given year for lawns with different types of plant species. These approximations are based on a 2,000 square foot lawn in the Sacramento Valley, and are probably on the low end of the average for a home in California. The formula used for these estimates can be found here. The estimates assume perfect distribution uniformity, which also may lead to underestimation.

edit on 22-7-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: VierEyes
You are as contemptuous of the Midwest as we are of the West coast, so we're even.

I'm contemptuous of dumb people, there are plenty of places in the Midwest I like.

You mean like people that live in the desert then cry about lack of water?

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I am tired of Californians expressing nothing but smug contempt and hatred for the rest of the country, and then when something like this happens, they act all upset when we tell them to take a hike. What did they expect?

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Normally I try to defend my state, but pork barrel projects and union contracts rule the infrastructure building in this state.

We could build SEVERAL desalination plants at the cost of the ridiculous high speed rail project to connect the "economic hubs" of Merced and Bakersfield.

Let's do the math.

Cost of 171 mile stretch of Rail in the Central Valley between BFE and East Jesus: 105 billion.

Cost of desalination plant with a 100 MGD flow: 700 million.

105b ÷ 700m = 150 Desalination plants.

That means with the money we are going to spend on high speed rail we could have a daily extra flow of 15 billion gallons of converted ocean water.

If you assume 100 gallons per person per day that's still only like 25%.

Problem is there aren't as many hands to grease for desalination plant construction like there are for typical infrastructure. Not a big of enough racket. Much rather pour concrete and pay for union labor. More in freeway and rail building, or canal/pipeline building as is this case.

If they have a plan to get the water over the continental divide they can draw up a plan to get from the coast to Lake Mead.

Priorities of greed meeting agenda.
edit on 22-7-2022 by Degradation33 because: I made up a new word: "desalinization"... sigh

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: VierEyes
You are as contemptuous of the Midwest as we are of the West coast, so we're even.

I'm contemptuous of dumb people, there are plenty of places in the Midwest I like.

Laughed my arse off. Star for that.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

Normally I try to defend my state, but pork barrel projects and union contracts rule the infrastructure building in this state.

We could build SEVERAL desalination plants at the cost of the ridiculous high speed rail project to connect the "economic hubs" of Merced and Bakersfield.

Let's do the math.

Cost of 171 mile stretch of Rail in the Central Valley between BFE and East Jesus: 105 billion.

Cost of desalination plant with a 100 MGD flow: 700 million.

105b ÷ 700m = 150 Desalination plants.

That means with the money we are going to spend on high speed rail we could have a daily extra flow of 15 billion gallons of converted ocean water.

If you assume 100 gallons per person per day that's still only like 25%.

Problem is there aren't as many hands to grease for desalination plant construction like there are for typical infrastructure. Not a big of enough racket. Much rather pour concrete and pay for union labor. More in freeway and rail building, or canal/pipeline building as is this case.

If they have a plan to get the water over the continental divide they can draw up a plan to get from the coast to Lake Mead.

Priorities of greed meeting agenda.

then they will complain there is an ocean crisis.

in 10 yrs the earth will look like mars!

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 08:49 PM
link   
LOL CA can FO.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 10:30 PM
link   
California is draining their water reserves by growing lots of veggies with high water requirements to sell elsewhere, basically sucking money out of the rest of the country. Other states could grow veggies too, but they seem to have stolen the market. People falsely believe that California is more natural with food, they are not, there are regulations governing the sale of the food to their own people in the state, but the vast majority of their crops are full of pesticides and sold to other states...probably way more residue than from anywhere else. Their commercial farms are full of old pesticides residue but people do not know that in other states. I think they are still the main user of pesticides of any state.

I used to believe California produce was better, but then I did quite a bit of research and I try not to buy anything from there anymore. They depleted much of their water table to grow all the produce to sell to other states people.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Pistachios to grow Pistachios you have to be a member of a growers group and that is the reason they are so expensive.
The Pistachio grower cooperatives in the US artificially control the price and is one of a very few crops that the farmers make very good money as there is no middle men, the Pistachio farmers own the cooperatives and set the price. If the government tried to stop the cooperatives, they will just cut the supply to the US and sell to other countries.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Do no argue about water. In the future there will be plenty of it available for everyone everywhere. It will be radioactive, though. That is certainly an annoying inconvenience, I guess.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Yeah, those people aren't too smart, but we're talking about the Central Valley which isn't a dessert.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, those people aren't too smart, but we're talking about the Central Valley which isn't a dessert.

Well, it is dry and tasteless, but it's also nutritionally worthless... so maybe it's like an unappetizing dessert?

If an area does not have sufficient natural water, that's the definition of a "desert."

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Shouldn't using less water be part of this 'new green deal'? I mean, for decades we've been hearing water is a precious resource, and we must conserve it. Perhaps California can spin it to make it good for the planet.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I don't care if you change or not, you can continue to eat supermarket **** for breakfast, lunch and dinner for all that it matters to me.

I grow my own vegetable and fruit, raise my own meat.

Your looking for fight, lol. Kind of pathetic if you wanna know
how it looks to others.

edit on 23-7-2022 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I remember them talking about building like a 20 foot wide tunnel from the Columbia River to CA. That is a massive amount of fresh water poring into the ocean, but OR isn't very excited about such project.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

The actual definition is less than 10" of rainfall a year.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships
I grow my own vegetable and fruit, raise my own meat.

Of course you're going to say that.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 02:26 PM
link   

In the future I will make sure my desserts get less than 10" of water per year. Any more would likely make the chocolate soggy, anyway.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

In the future I will make sure my desserts get less than 10" of water per year. Any more would likely make the chocolate soggy, anyway.

TheRedneck

God bless my 2nd grade teacher that taught us the difference between desert and dessert,
desserts have two s's because you would always want more of it. I've remembered that lesson all my life.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join