It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California wants Midwest Water

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

Probably got no one there willing to build them. Isn’t there a shortage of worker problem in the ports?

At this point I think a fire sale giving back Cali to Mexico would be in best interest of this country, especially if we throw in the Pelosis 🤡

edit on 22-7-2022 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: just4fun
They can take our raw sewage and clean it and put it through the tap and have us drink it on a mass scale.

But they cant do it with ocean water ..

Yeah F#### right..

This whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way this morning.

Also isn’t Cali all about the environment? BULLCRAPOLA.
Building a pipeline, or aqua duct crossing states sounds like an environmental disaster, but it’s OK as long as Cali has water pfffffttt.

Great point Cali's always are screaming about oil pipelines being environmental disasters. But if running a pipeline much longer than any pipeline they demanded be shut down serves their need, it is the best idea ever. Desalinating plants, the obvious answer, might hurt their precious environment, self centered hypocrites.

edit on 7/22/22 by The2Billies because: grammar

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Even at that it's a very small minded solution, simply because it is no solution at all. The idea of major manipulation of natures natural flow has been proved wrong by the very emptiness of those two lakes. Sure, it worked for 60 years but it has been drying up for at least ten of those sixty years.

I mean how many years would it take to build an aqueduct from the Missouri to those lakes. It's like 600 miles. It would take several years and a ton of federal money. It would also need to build some high security along the way to protect from sabotage in this political climate.

And speaking of climate, the way everything is in flux, by then the West might be back to an abundance of rain and the Midwest in drought.

How about this for a solution. To all those who are watered from Lake Powell and Lake Mead. Get your fat asses out of the damn desert.

But seriously, we are facing any number of huge crisis's and ideas like moving that water ain't gonna help.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:39 AM
link   

It would make much more sense to pipe water from Alaska to California. This was studied in 1992 and is feasible but expensive. Alaska's governor at the time, Walter Hickel proposed it. Alaska has about 1/3 of all the runoff water of the entire US.

"That pipeline would have been more than 1,400 miles long (compared to the 800 miles of the trans-Alaska pipeline). Most thought the idea was nutty, but members of the U.S. Congress Office of Technology Assessment gathered in Los Angeles in 1991 to see if the pipeline was feasible. Gov. Hickel attended that meeting.

In the end, the assessors concluded that the Alaska water pipeline was too costly an option to relieve California drought. But they noted that a warming climate — then being noticed by scientists — might in the future cause more water crises in the West.

“Although there is no current or near-term demand for expensive water from Alaska, the possibility that such water might eventually be needed cannot be completely dismissed,” they wrote."

www.gi.alaska.edu...

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It is just plain criminal for California, Nevada and new Mexico to have not invested in desalination plants decades ago.

link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Because this is how it starts.

Back several years ago, we in the Southeast suffered through a terrible drought. Many wells went dry, entire lakes around Atlanta were at their lowest ever seen, boats were sitting on lake bottoms stranded, and piers looked like broken bridges to nowhere. Everywhere was rationing water.

Where I live, close to the Tennessee River, we at least had that. The Tennessee begins way up around Knoxville, so even though it was low, there was some water. But then Atlanta politicians got the State of Georgia to dispute the state boundaries that had stood for nearly two centuries. Why? Atlanta wanted to tap the Tennessee river. The river runs very close to the North Georgia border, but it never actually goes into Georgia. That would have decimated us here... the Tennessee River is a main shipping route and the sole water source for most towns along it.

Thankfully, that Federal lawsuit failed. But it did seem touch-and-go for a while. Since then, it's not hard to find sentiment around Georgia and the surrounding states calling for Atlanta to be removed from Georgia... I've actually heard suggestions that we clone William Tecumseh Sherman and let him have another crack at it.

California made their bed, and now that it's full of their own dung, they want to sleep in ours. Nope. You want to ignore Federal law ("sanctuary cities"), rig your elections, harass anyone from another state who dares venture into your "Utopia," incite violence (hello, Maxine Waters), spit on the 2nd Amendment... well, you can sleep in your own damn bed. Reach for our water and you're liable to draw back a nub.

Good thread JAG. This goes on far too often.

TheRedneck

link   
So growing watermelons, oranges, grapefruit and grapes in the dessert on a scale to feed a nation with borrowed water wasn’t a great idea? Who knew?

link   
Something to consider. Most vegetables that Americans consume are grown in the central valley of California. With out water expect the price produce to skyrocket, even more than they already are.

Currently crops are rotting on the ground for lack of laborers to harvest them. I encouraged the farmer that leases my Texas property to grow truck crops. No one to harvest them he told me, so it's mechanical harvesting for the cotton and onions.

www.eatingwell.com...

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.
edit on 22-7-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
They sold their soul to Nestle.

Actually, the American consumer sold themselves to water-intensive crops like avocados, pistachios, almonds and rice. Nothing anyone really needs in bulk but we like to gobble it up due to being sold on marketing.

edit on 22-7-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

And more peaches are grown in Argentina than Georgia now.

Grow local. Buy local.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

This is ATS, the not-so-conspiracy version of Facebook, I need to be outraged.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

And more peaches are grown in Argentina than Georgia now.

Grow local. Buy local.

That's exactly what I do on my 1ac plot here in the land of enchantment and sell at our local farmers market. Most Americans don't have that luxury.

I give away more than we sell or consume to food pantrys catering to our local senior citizens.

I'm in the process of leasing land, a tractor, implements... to grow beans, squash and chili to help our local residents offset the rising prices at Albertsons, Sprouts and Foodway. I have plenty of people willing to help in this community effort.

We have the Rio Grande for water and most of it goes to Texas. Perhaps we should shut of their water for agriculture.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Yes, their ace in the hole:

Over a third of the country's vegetables and two-thirds of the country's fruits and nuts are grown in California.

Good luck overriding CA's need for water over the country's need for food. Of course, the dynamics could change but for now, it is what it is.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Hey J...we here in Michigan got a LOT of water. But itll be a dusty dry day down in Little Rock that they divert Great Lakes water south and west.

And they want to...

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: olaru12

This is ATS, the not-so-conspiracy version of Facebook, I need to be outraged.

Isn't that the truth!! I think they had rather maintain their hatred than help their own interests.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I'm outraged by you agreeing with me!!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
It is just plain criminal for California, Nevada and new Mexico to have not invested in desalination plants decades ago.

Look at a map...

We have the Rio Grande running thru the entire state for water. Most of it going to Texas Rio Grande Valley agriculture. I'm in favor of building reservoirs cutting off the Texas water, even though I'm a Texan.

See how this works?

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Actually, the American consumer sold themselves to water-intensive crops like avocados, pistachios, almonds and rice.

Pistachio - plant hardiness zones 4 through 9
which means even here in the great white north, I can grow pistachios

Almonds - zone 5 to 9
again, even here in cold Wisconsin we can grow Almonds

There are rice farms in northern Wisconsin.

Avocados, no they need a warmer climate, but Florida can handle that. Hey Floridians, we give you beer and cheese you give us pistachios? Deal, screw Cali!

California's growing capacity can be easily replaced. Just because it IS grown there doesn't mean it HAS to be grown there.
Maybe it's a terrible thing for crops to be grown there. Maybe that's why tptb are buying up farmland everywhere.

edit on 22-7-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Isn't that the truth!! I think they had rather maintain their hatred than help their own interests.

My best interest is water. I chose not to live in a desert climate. Everyone knows water is NUMERO UNO for survival. Screw Pistachos or avocado.
When I was growing up people didn't even know what an avocado was and most people only had pistachios for Christmas.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 12:16 PM
link   
840 miles of coastline and they can’t find water? Too bad for them.

Plus if they do manage to tap the Mississippi or Great Lakes, that water isn’t going to magically get itself over or through the Rockies. You haven’t seen energy use.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join