It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 5

page: 76
<< 73  74  75    77  78  79 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempussolo
So, I've been thinking about what tanstaafl has been saying and it makes sense however there are more than one group of high risk people here in the US I think many forget. We are running about 42% obesity rate in the US and many with obesity suffer other health conditions that are associated with it such as type 2 diabetes. These 42% of Americans aren't just older. They comprise all age groups. If we are going to focus our isolation/lock-down of older high risk individuals, should we not also do the same or the brunt of those 42%? How would you do that? If you are over 65 you're locked down. If you are over 28% (or pick a number) body fat, boom - locked down. Marginally obese but still have type 2, locked-down. Higher susceptibility to respiratory issues (smokers, cola miners, maybe vapers) - locked em down.

What about high blood pressure. 1 our 3 American have high blood pressure, many of them don't even know. How do you separate that group out as well (although the obesity contributes to many of these but certainly not all)? These individuals are also in a high risk group.

So while I agree on tanstaafl's proposals to isolate older at risk people - especially in long term care facilities, I do not see how we can't aggressively address the other higher percentage of the population that are also high risk. If you think a 38 year old obese male with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure isn't likely to land up in ICU as fast as a 80 year resident in a senior living center you're wrong and that is were we run the risk of over stressing the system.

I live in Texas, a state known for its share of 'bubbas' and believe me, some of these guys cant get up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing and breaking into a sweat. These are high risk individuals that need to be isolated as well because there are a lot of them and if they start to go down, the system goes down.

tanstaafl what is your suggestion for these scenarios?

I agree I was only watching my 600lb life the other day, and Dr Now said - "all you need is a minor illness like a cold and it'll be too much for your body and you'll die".

Mind you she was 800llbs.

But still.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Stock markets halted for unprecedented third time due to coronavirus scare

The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down nearly 10% at the open, falling by 2,250 points to 20,935
The Nasdaq was off by 6.12%, falling 7,392.73
The S&P 500 fell by 8.14%, or 220.55, to open at 2,490.47

techcrunch.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

And who knows if it'll mutate to something worse, or if it causes fertility problems, or etc.

And if it is a bio weapon or some other experimental nasty from bat disease research at that lab in wuhan, then who knows what might happen next.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: UFO1414
Stock markets halted for unprecedented third time due to coronavirus scare

The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down nearly 10% at the open, falling by 2,250 points to 20,935
The Nasdaq was off by 6.12%, falling 7,392.73
The S&P 500 fell by 8.14%, or 220.55, to open at 2,490.47

techcrunch.com...

I think most markets have lost over 30% now since Jan.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

I do care what others think.

These are my people! I care about them and we depend on each other. It's what makes the world work.

We're in this together, and I have just physically removed myself from them... that's scary... and any anger in them to my actions are also coming from a place of fear... which I can empathise with.

I hate that this virus attacks us in the worst place... our trust for each other, which erodes our compassion for each other.

Now more than ever, we have to make a special effort to communicate, to keep the closeness that the virus physically removes from us.

So yes... I will continue to care, and beat myself up because my actions do have an effect (either way) and I will explain my actions in detail to anyone that will listen... hopefully generating some wisdom in those that engage... and raising questions in those that don't.

If my government won't act fast enough, then I will cause a grass-roots tide that will force them to act... but I will only do that by sharing my experiences honestly... and taking on board an working through that type of anger that comes from lack of knowledge, uncertainty and the unknown.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: mzinga
a reply to: tanstaafl

1. Flatten the curve is the correct approach, but it is driving much fear and hoarding

2. We still really don't know an awful lot exactly how this is going to get played out

3. People continuing to send mixed messages. Which again drives fear. It is much better for people to get told the truth because RESOLVE then takes the place of fear. The unknown is much scarier than the known.

I think this is key to the whole thing, including Wall Street. We will be much better off if leadership stopped thinking we're not smart enough to know they are lying. Let us know the truth in a consistent coherent message.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempussolo

I agree!

Governments need to stop treating their adult citizens like children.

We're grown up... we can take the truth!

Please just rip the band-aid off fast!... everyone knows it's better to rip the band-aid off fast!
edit on 16-3-2020 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   
More than half the Dutch cases in ICU are patients under 50 (one is a 16-year old female)

They also report that the main risk factor is obesity, wow!

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Here are some updates regarding the transmission nature of the virus: www.statnews.com...

The prevailing mainstream view pretty much hasn't changed. That it mostly transmits through coughing and sneezing (only hangs in the air for a couple of seconds) as well as through touching surfaces and then touching mouth, eyes and so on, which supports their fixation on handwashing over masks. They are always so hesitant to call it airborne, understandable, but i usually prefer being more blunt.

But the article and research cited, does give suggestions that their is a possibility for it to be aerosolized. But of course they stress it would be rare and not be a common mode of transmission. Interesting things to note is that a lot of the evidences of it becoming aerosolized involves toilets, stools, and sewage.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Coronavirus: Spaniards left furious over packed Metro and train services

Spaniards attempting to get to work on Monday were left fuming after a cut in commuter and metro services in Spain’s two largest cities meant transport was more crowded than a typical morning. All this despite the government urging people to keep their distance from others.

overcrowded platforms and train carriages forcing commuters into close proximity to one another made a mockery of the national lockdown.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Sydney, Australia:

I received inside info from a colleague at St.Vincent's Hospital in Sydney. They had an early morning meeting about coronavirus triage.

Effective immediately; over 60's will be denied respirators if they require one.

I can't validate beyond word of mouth info from someone who was in the briefing, but scary if true.

My mum is 72.

PS. While this was in the middle of my long post a page back, thought it worth adding to it's own post.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Fingle
You are onto something. My daughter works in this field. They have been working crippling hours in the 3D metals division.
I did ask her about this but she didn't know. Orders have soared.
Most are allowed to work from home, however this division must go to work. They are desperately needed.
This technology would be able to make parts for ventilators.
Currently she is working 60-70 hours a week.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Interesting... in Ontario, we have also cut our commuter train service. The rationale, I believe, is that there will be decreased ridership. If the ridership doesn’t hit the anticipated decrease, unanticipated effects of having everyone jammed in together happen. Wow
edit on 16-3-2020 by NxNWest because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: puzzlesphere
a reply to: MrRCflying

I do care what others think.

These are my people! I care about them and we depend on each other. It's what makes the world work.

We're in this together, and I have just physically removed myself from them... that's scary... and any anger in them to my actions are also coming from a place of fear... which I can empathise with.

I hate that this virus attacks us in the worst place... our trust for each other, which erodes our compassion for each other.

Now more than ever, we have to make a special effort to communicate, to keep the closeness that the virus physically removes from us.

So yes... I will continue to care, and beat myself up because my actions do have an effect (either way) and I will explain my actions in detail to anyone that will listen... hopefully generating some wisdom in those that engage... and raising questions in those that don't.

If my government won't act fast enough, then I will cause a grass-roots tide that will force them to act... but I will only do that by sharing my experiences honestly... and taking on board an working through that type of anger that comes from lack of knowledge, uncertainty and the unknown.

Umm... Okay. I was trying to be supportive, letting you know you are not the only one in that position.

Your response came off a little harsh. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Thank you for bringing the overall impact (if the Covid19 as well as the 'oil wars')...

Gold on GC00 (great quick glance site)...hovering around 3% loss...I am attempting to read the 'tea leaves' on this in relation to oil.

The US can produce, refine and create distillates without the need for importing large quantities again. WTI fell under $30, Brent came close Oil Price...meaning: Everything one sees in the US (styro, polymers, gasoline, grease for wind turbines, tire production, iron works to asphalt; into infinitum) will be dirt cheap by April...A common thought is the President will keep cheap oil flowing ...manufacturing becomes affordable again and Fed rates help...

The markets are reeling from the vulnerability in a switch from manufacturing to 'Services' begun in the mid 1970's. Production will return to the US (what I am reading today the entirety of Europe the same goal).

China fudges numbers, and has for common memory. Their GDP is based upon PPP (think of that and currency manipulation known). Providence debt was/is pencil whipped. How many millions in prison for 'indoctrination'?. Muslim and Christian alike with organ harvesting! known! exposed! yet 'China Honest'...quiet please...stop believing China on all things, anything!

Take a moment of your day.

How many evils could be buried by China in China for a culling? Then it gets out hand...no countries jump so fast for a 'flu'.

Edit: Not a conspiracy, factual concerns from many in my field as probable...spoken and not written yet

Anyone calling this or comparing to the flu...show your credentials. Parroting the known against the unknown is just plain and fully displaying ignorance...and no 'math' right now does not apply.

mg

edit on 03054848America/Chicago16_10America/Chicagoam by missed_gear because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   
NY Stock Market Suddenly Stops Trading Temporarily, Recorded the Largest Price Drop

not sure what this means

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Not showing up on the official stats but my state is up to 12 confirmed cases (was at 3 before the weekend): www.wcax.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl
Thanks for that name "The Time Machine. The Morlocks and the Eloi"
Maybe you could post a list of movies for everyone that fit this end of world scenario we are experiencing right now.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   
well here i s the latest

New virus Infected people in Japan total 821

<< 73  74  75    77  78  79 >>

join