It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 5

page: 353
<< 350  351  352    354  355  356 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Sheraton New Orleans leased by state as another coronavirus spillover medical facility

The Sheraton New Orleans Hotel on Canal Street, used to house first responders in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, has been leased by the state to serve as another spillover medical facility to handle the city's surge in coronavirus patients, state officials confirmed Sunday. The hotel, which is the city's fourth-largest with 1,110 rooms, joins the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in providing large-scale space that can be converted into overflow facilities for patients who are infected with the pathogen but no longer need hospital care. The first 1,000 beds at the Convention Center are expected to be ready Monday, and Gov. John Bel Edwards has mandated that an additional 1,000 beds be installed there.

www.nola.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The projections have been updated with current data.
There are some encouraging changes.
covid19.healthdata.org...

link   
Here's NY's update we went from just over 123000 to 130689:
www.worldometers.info...

link   

originally posted by: carport

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: MonkeyBalls2
OK, its possibly from this :
Chemrxiv. org

A Chinese research paper from an Engineering university by two authors who have no other papers that I find and no identification as to type of scholarship (medical, physician, PhD biomedical researcher... a first year student who's learning computer science and had a bright idea?)

I'm thinking "nope."

It might be a bright idea, though, to consider that here are more than 1 person by that name. :-) Using a decent search engine, you will find other papers by the authors and also their university medical faculty (took me about 3 minutes).

Excellent find. I was tired and my search efforts weren't very good. Kudos to you.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Numbers from around the world are now starting to come in for April 6th.

Spain
Pop: 44.6 M
135,032 Positive tests…….. or 1 out of 346 Spaniards
9.67% Deaths

Italy
Pop: 60.4 M
132,547 Positive tests….. or 1 out of 456 Italians
12.46 % Deaths

US
Pop: 330 M
344,461 Positive tests.... or 1 out of 958 Americans
2.96% Deaths

US death rates (2017):
1. Heart Disease …………….…………647,457 annual or 1,773 daily average
2. Cancer ……………………..……….….599,108 annual or 1,641 daily average
6. Alzheimer’s disease:……..……….121,404 annual or 332 daily average
7. Diabetes ……………………..……….…..83,564 annual or 228 daily average
8. Influenza and Pneumonia …………55,562 annual or 152 daily average
X. Auto accidents ………………….………37,461 annual or 102 daily average
X. H1N1 2009 ESTIMATED (8,868 – 18,306) for 1 year or 24 – 50 daily average
COVID-19 ………………………………………. 10,197 (34 Day) or 299 daily average

edit on 6-4-2020 by InterplanetaryHobo because: Correction of number

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Video from inside an ICU at University College Hospital in London

www.bbc.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Coronavirus: Deaths in Spain fall for fourth day in a row The figure is the lowest number of fatalities in 13 days - but the country has still recorded more than 13,000 deaths.

The downturn in fatalities comes as its government considers a gradual relaxation of the lockdown which has been in place since the middle of March. On Monday, Spain reported 637 deaths over the previous 24 hours, a further drop from the 674 on Sunday, 809 on Saturday, 932 on Friday and 950 on Thursday. It is the lowest number of death in 13 days - but more than 13,055 people have died in total.

news.sky.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Flight Attendants Call For ‘A Halt To All Leisure Travel’ Amid Coronavirus At least one flight attendant died and more than 100 have tested positive for COVID-19 so far.

“We are calling for a halt to all leisure travel,” Nelson said on the call organized by the AFL-CIO, the country’s largest federation of unions. “We’re calling on a coordinated government response, we’re calling on all our airlines, and we’re also calling for leadership from DOT and FAA on advising the public that we do not need any leisure travel right now.” More than 75 FAA employees at 30 air traffic control centers in New York, Las Vegas, Orlando and Houston had tested positive for the virus as of Monday, said Paul Rinaldi, president of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association.

www.huffpost.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mamana12

originally posted by: tanstaafl

Street talk from New York city friends on Facebook. They are reporting that this morning they have heard ambulances pretty much non-stop, one after another, all morning. These are people located in Manhattan. I've heard it from three different sources now. I think its safe to assume that most of these ambulances were due to the virus given that they are all remarking on how unusual it is to hear so many ambulances.

Ummm... safe to ass-u-me? Really? I spent 9 months in Manhattan back in 79, and another 6 months in 81, and I heard ambulances all the frickin time.

I lived in Manhattan for several years too and yes there are sirens throughout the day. The friends I'm quoting here also live in Manhattan currently and have lived there for years and know what the normal number of sirens is on a daily basis. They are reporting that the number now is a significant and noticeable increase over the normal daily number. They are New Yorkers and know the difference in regular activity and unusual activity in their own city.

I’ve lived in Manhattan all my life. I live by a large hospital, Weill Cornell, right on the ambulance route. For me, it’s a slight increase in sirens, but nothing that is constant or insanely more than usual.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
double post
edit on 6-4-2020 by SixDemonBag because: Double post

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   
FEMA Contractor Tracing Coronavirus Deaths Uses Web Scraping, Social Media Monitoring

Geospark Analytics combines machine learning and big data to analyze events in real-time and warn of potential disruptions to the businesses of high-dollar private and public clientele, FEMA and the U.S. Defense Department among them. Over the phone, Goolgasian said his firm wasn’t sure what was happening when the virus first was flagged. Then again, no one was. “We saw there was this pneumonia or SARS-like thing happening, so we ran some retrospective analysis and shot it out to our users that day,” he said.

On March 21, the Department of Homeland Security awarded Geospark Analytics a $150,000 contract to provide FEMA with “geospatial analysis in support of disaster survivors.” Goolgasian, who spent two decades at the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon’s mapmaker—and did a stint at the CIA, based on an introduction he gave during a panel in 2017—declined to say whether the contract relates specifically to FEMA’s coronavirus efforts. “I can talk about what we do, but I don’t want to get into the details of the contract,” Goolgasian said. FEMA did not respond to Gizmodo’s request for comment.

gizmodo.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Numbers Update for Europe (and elsewhere) :

Added more than usual, more data points, and more visibility of how its going elsewhere.

www.worldometers.info...
bnonews.com...

edit on 6-4-2020 by MonkeyBalls2 because: added extra BNO

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
OK so I got some first-hand knowledge today from a local nurse from a local hospital keep it anonymous. She was a client of mine. So according to her what’s happening locally is when these people when the patients get severe it happens immediately she’s talking like couple hours before you could be standing there talking to them and then a couple hours later they can’t breathe. Now she was also saying that and pneumonia normally affects just one long but with COVID-19 it’s affecting both lungs. That’s why so many have to go on the machines. So then I talk to her and I asked you know I’m pretty much said I believe the reason why they quarantined or have us all sitting at home is because a they don’t have enough Ventilators and PPE. And she agreed. So that gave me kind of a little bit more of a perspective on the severity of the situation.

So it’s not necessarily the death all of the pandemic it’s the influx of patients all at once that straining the hospital capability of treating the patients which could lead to neglect or negligence. One hell of a dichotomy let me tell ya. I’m still up in the air about it all but she gave me a different perspective. But she doesn’t know how it’s gonna play out if we’re all going to stay locked down for another two months I couldn’t tell you how it’s gonna play out but we both agreed that something has to be done in order to stimulate the economy. My best theory and she pretty much agreed with it is they’re going to have us on lockdown probably till the end of the month till they can get more production of ventilators PPE and then have us go out and try to get it The economy back up and going. But who knows just figured I’d throw this in here. In enclosing she was also saying and this speculative that they’re trying to do some research Trying to determine why the disease affects others so severely speculating maybe it might have something to do with blood type. Again she doesn’t know but she says she has heard that they’re doing research to try to figure out why the disease affects others are severely and others not so much. Anyhow have a good day.
edit on 6-4-2020 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The Excellent Financial Times Graphics by John Burn-Murdoch, head over to the Link to see the explanation text, and give them some traffic

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Cotton supply chain at a virtual standstill

Washington – The early impacts of COVID-19 are crippling the cotton supply chain, according to the International Cotton Advisory Council (ICAC). “Brands and retailers are cancelling orders, leaving spinners and textile manufacturers in Asia and Southeast Asia in a financial crisis,” said the organization, which is an association of cotton producing, consuming and trading countries.

“We don’t yet know what the ultimate impact of Covid-19 will be on the cotton industry, but the fast-moving pandemic has injected a tremendous amount of uncertainty into every link in the global supply chain,” ICAC stated.

That last part!!!

www.hometextilestoday.com... Q4y8TaKfTY

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SixDemonBag

originally posted by: tanstaafl

Street talk from New York city friends on Facebook. They are reporting that this morning they have heard ambulances pretty much non-stop, one after another, all morning. These are people located in Manhattan. I've heard it from three different sources now. I think its safe to assume that most of these ambulances were due to the virus given that they are all remarking on how unusual it is to hear so many ambulances.

Ummm... safe to ass-u-me? Really? I spent 9 months in Manhattan back in 79, and another 6 months in 81, and I heard ambulances all the frickin time.

I lived in Manhattan for several years too and yes there are sirens throughout the day. The friends I'm quoting here also live in Manhattan currently and have lived there for years and know what the normal number of sirens is on a daily basis. They are reporting that the number now is a significant and noticeable increase over the normal daily number. They are New Yorkers and know the difference in regular activity and unusual activity in their own city.

I’ve lived in Manhattan all my life. I live by a large hospital, Weill Cornell, right on the ambulance route. For me, it’s a slight increase in sirens, but nothing that is constant or insanely more than usual.

I live outside of Manhattan; a few miles away from and along the major travel corridor to one of New Yorks top Hospitals designated for the caronavirus.

I do hear more ambulances than I normally do. But not a significant amount more; a small enough increase to say that it might just be due to the fact that I am at a heightened state of awareness of them. When in the past I would not be paying attention.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

We hope it's by the end of the month,but do we
All signs are pointing to the end of the year and further
when the real fun begins at compulsory vaccination and social monitoring.

edit on 6-4-2020 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: all2human

Yeah that’s the part I’m worried about to I was talking to her about the end of the month she was like yeah a lot of people have the antigens and I was like well not really since most people are forced to sit at home and probably more are going to get infected again. And then she agreed with that but yeah Were gonna have to get a vaccine, things won’t get back to normal until there’s some sort of vaccine for it and what they try to do with the civil liberties and stuff like that we will just have to be mindful of it and keep an eye on it, we can go round and round and round about how this all plays out during this crap we’re stuck in but you’re right things will get real once this all starts to settle.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   

BREAKING: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who is suffering from coronavirus, has been admitted to intensive care as his condition has worsened

Bad news 😳. Hope he gets better.

TWITTER

BBC SOURCE

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson taken to intensive care
edit on 6-4-2020 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent

BREAKING: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who is suffering from coronavirus, has been admitted to intensive care as his condition has worsened

Bad news 😳. Hope he gets better.

TWITTER

BBC SOURCE

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson taken to intensive care

I hope for the best but fear the worst.

<< 350  351  352    354  355  356 >>

join