It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 5

page: 283
<< 280  281  282    284  285  286 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: carewemust

It will never be an absolute value but when the number of unresolved cases (hospitalized or not) becomes negligible (statistically insignificant) the estimates become more reliable. But simple ratios of fatalities to cases at a point in time cannot be relied upon.

Say, for example, that it turns out that chloroquine turns out to be an effective treatment. The numbers now would instantly become meaningless as would an average. Conversely, say that the health care system is overrun to the point that our current level of medical care becomes moot. Same situation, the numbers now don't count.

I can agree with this.

But right now: FACT: 18%

www.worldometers.info...

Lets hope it dwindles.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: UFO1414

Yes. But for predictive purposes, useless. Except that, as the number of cases increases, so will the number of deaths.

edit on 3/29/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Yes. But for predictive purposes, useless. Except that, as the number of cases increases, so will the number of deaths.

Phage,

This is the whole GD point. Not predicting. Translating LIVE numbers.

I agree, I expect the numbers will get better, eventually. But we're living in the now.
edit on 29-3-2020 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: BPilgrim
a reply to: elitegamer23

I don't disagree with what he said in general but in relation to your post it makes zero sense. It blows my mind that people can read what you said and then what he said and consider it a good response. You said, "I’m not religious but if you are , please pray". So according to your words religion is necessary for prayer.

Then hopenot comes along and says, "Prayer is sending positive energy, one doesn't have to be religious to get that concept." So one doesn't have to be religous to pray. And this is a perfect explanation of what you said?

Y'all are too clever for me.

I normally don’t talk about politics or religion with people because it turns people crazy. You’re thinking about what I said way too much !

Stay safe and wash your hands man !

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:44 AM
link   

The psychology of this takes a while to settle in, everyone will go through a variety of emotions, Young people will think it wont worry them, until one of their friends get sick. But they will have infected granny by the time they wake up. People paying heavy Mortgages will have been doing all the right things and suddenly wont have a job anymore. They will get a holiday from it, but end up paying a million dollar mortgage for a property they cant sell for a hundred grand. When the cars microprocessor needs replacing the parts might not be available. In Aussie 55% of the economy is in selling and buying houses thinking you have become rich on your property portfolio, what's that going to do to your state of mind. The Banks are going to find out all the million dollar mortgages they have financed , have reduced their balance sheet by ninety per cent , so they are technically bankrupt. Crazy but # happens , I think we have our Black Swan.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:48 AM
link   

The problem with that approach is that it becomes fodder to deny the actual gravity of the crisis.

It is not a reliable number, especially since the testing rate is so dismal.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Case fatality ratio is not a number based upon closed cases. Case fatality ratio is a number based over time as ALL diagnosed cases vs. resultant deaths from diagnosed cases. Right now, the only thing more alarming than large numbers, are incorrect numbers.

How to calculate CFR

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Was just watching the livestream of Wuhan on YT, and read on the "ticker" that "lethality" is deaths×100/deaths+recovered. Does anyone know how this is different from CFR? In other words, what exactly does "lethality" express?
edit on 3/29/2020 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Russia on the 30th will close with only 1,264 cases and, with four deaths, land sea air and borders,

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BPilgrim

I have an acquaintance that yells about 'Christians' to the top of her lungs constantly, talking down on us, mocking about 'oh but your God says this or that'...... but as soon as something happens to her or her family she's in my inbox saying 'alert your family (all Christians) that so and so is doing bad and really needs prayers'. Yeah, kinda funny.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
Was just watching the livestream of Wuhan on YT, and read on the "ticker" that "lethality" is deaths×100/deaths+recovered. Does anyone know how this is different from CFR? In other words, what exactly does "lethality" express?

deaths×100/deaths+recovered, I think. Off the top of my head.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well that was circular, thanks a lot.

I did not mean "express" in a mathematical way.

link   

The problem with that approach is that it becomes fodder to deny the actual gravity of the crisis.

It is not a reliable number, especially since the testing rate is so dismal.

Not gonna question that. Especially if I was on my own island.

Another FACT for this thread is I have a family of four in an urban locale. Not going to risk anything I don't have to. People are still not taking this seriously enough...

Well, hold on, that is hearsay. Gotta sleep... Be well all.
edit on 29-3-2020 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

deaths×100/deaths+recovered, I think. Off the top of my head.

Well at least the facts are presented

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

You're the one who asked for a definition which was provided in your post.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 01:06 AM
link   

You're the one who asked for a definition which was provided in your post.

Just to say, "As a comedian in all seriousness" I think the solaidarity thing in Poland is overrated.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No Phage, I did not. While "deaths×100/deaths+recovered" might be the method for calculating "lethality", it is not the definition.

In plain language I asked "Does anyone know how this (lethality) is different from CFR?" You ignored this. To state my question in yet another way: is "lethality" synonymous with "CFR"?

This is not an unreasonable question to ask, given I do not have an epidemiological background with all its related jargon.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 01:12 AM
link   

While "deaths×100/deaths+recovered" might be the method for calculating "lethality", it is not the definition.

Yes, it is.

Just as the definition of pi is the ratio between the diameter of a circle and its circumference.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 01:14 AM
link   

While "deaths×100/deaths+recovered" might be the method for calculating "lethality", it is not the definition.

Yes, it is.

Just as the definition of pi is the ratio between the diameter of a circle and its circumference.

I was hoping for no reason that you would respond with an SCTV anecdote.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

I'd be curious to know where and how those numbers are derived though.

They are "confirmed cases of coronavirus (as it says in the data descriptors). In other words, not the actual number of sick, but sick ones who have been tested and the tests sent to a lab and (4-5 days later) a positive result was returned.

So the numbers are generally 4-5 days old and represent testing by available tests (we don't have a lot here in Texas).

Testing will tell us when it slows. Right now, it's rising and we're in the first phase.

new topics

top topics

<< 280  281  282    284  285  286 >>

join