It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 4

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   
One more thought for today. Cord cutting.

I was speaking to one of my children about the virus and how dangerous it was. She did not know what I was going on about. She does not have cable and only has select sites such as Netflix. She does not get a newspaper and does not listen to the news. She is aware that the corona virus is bad but it is not here and it is less dangerous then the flu.
Any news she gets is third hand. So how do they reach out and communicate with a generation that is unplugged and tuned out. Maybe using podcasts? I don't know.
When I try to educate she says that I am scaring here. Sigh...

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thoughtful1
I also headed over to Walmart to pick up some last minute items. I could not find any rice at Costco because they were all sold out.
Walmart also was out of stock of large bags of rice.
When I was checking out I had an interesting conversation with the cashier. He asked why anyone would want to stockpile canned goods and frozen fruit and vegetables because there would not be any supply chain problems because it is grown here and processed here.
Not everything is made and processed here but he had a point.
So I asked him what happens if there is a quarantine and people cannot get to work or shop for food?

He said"That is not going to happen."

There isn't as much concern that food is made or grown here, but there is a concern that businesses out of an abundance of caution or liability concerns, keep their workers home or people choose to stay at home. That includes food giants like Del Monte, Tyson chicken etc. .

There is in theory plenty of food, but there could be disruptions getting it to Wally world etc. Food that typically comes from South/Central America out-of-season, and other similar situations could be disrupted if travel, flight, and port restrictions are in place. There is a lot we take for granted.

Large groups of people do all of that work and if they are staying home en masse, it will have some impact. It isn't harvest season for most things here in the states, so at least there is that. While the disease itself may be more or less problematic, it isn't a simple problem in the big picture to quantify.
edit on 29-2-2020 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying
I do not know where you are but it is like Christmas here. Costco and Sams are packed with people buying a lot of food, non perishable. Canned, frozen, dried. People are not buying novelties such as flower bulbs or fertilizer or clothing.
Many of the water pallets were empty.
While I was shopping one person stopped me and said that I had not bought enough canned tuna.
Her cart was full. This was her third trip with a truck.
This was my second trip so I have lots of tuna. Lol

The cashiers were telling me that Costco stores on the west coast are running out of stock.I don't know if that is true but there is no reason to make up that story with me.
So I guess it depends where you are. If you are in Alaska people have stocked their freezers for the winter because they know that they need to do this every winter. But that is not what happens in large cities.Everyone there expects the stores to be open and food available.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I do not know where you are but it is like Christmas here. Costco and Sams are packed with people buying a lot of food, non perishable. Canned, frozen, dried. People are not buying novelties such as flower bulbs or fertilizer or clothing.
While I was shopping one person stopped me and said that I had not bought enough canned tuna.

The cashiers were telling me that Costco stores on the west coast are running out of stock.I don't know if that is true but there is no reason to make up that story with me.
So I guess it depends where you are. If you are in Alaska people have stocked their freezers for the winter because they know that they need to do this every winter. But that is not what happens in large cities.Everyone there expects the stores to be open and food available.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I also headed over to Walmart to pick up some last minute
Heading over to Best Buy the lithium ion batteries were pretty well sold out and the staff said they didn't know when more would arrive.

I don't see the need to stock up on things like batteries in this situation. Utilities won't go out over a 2-8% death rate; and government won't close plants out of an abundance of caution. They may go into emergency mode and tell nonessential personnel to stay home; but will compel essential personnel to come in. At worse they will deploy the national guard to take over essential services.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I had the same experience went last night to Sam's and was well stocked . No panick buying I am on Houston area

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Although data on COVID-19 is sparse and marked by substantial uncertainty, the disease is currently somewhere between 3 and 5 on a five-point scale for transmissibility, and between a 3 to 6 on a seven-point scale for severity. This suggests a moderate or severe pandemic, as shown below.

www.thinkglobalhealth.org...

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Upstate NY. Between two towns of about 12,000 and 25,000 people. So not a huge metro area. Since there are no confirmed cases in NY yet, I think people are thinking it is all a west coast thing yet. So no real panic buying.

It was all pretty normal. Busy, but not packed. All the shelves were stocked. Lots of Lysol, wipes, and other cleaning supplies, which I thought may be low. Canned goods were all in good shape.

I believe the stories, it is just not in our area yet. I think it probably comes from a lot of ignorance. My family is prepared, I could use a few more things, but they are not absolute necessities. I might go again late next week, just to top off. Other than that we are ready.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Gals/Guys, I am prohibited from further speaking in this thread. Unless I play along of course.

Here's a scary update:
20 min ago, Virus spreads in US, from CDC

See I played along.

Anyways, I guess I need to write my own thread discussing this topic from a rational point of view. Which I don't really have time or resources to compile currently. I'm too busy trying to finish this complaint I gotta file in Federal court on Monday (I'm suing the govt).

If I do write a thread you'll all know. It'll be obvious.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I've seen people posting here for more than a month things such as that this is nothing more than a "cold" others saying that since the markets were ok then it meant everything was fine, and even others stating that since the Media didn't pay much attention it clearly meant everything had been blown out of proportion.

More than a month has passed; markets are getting crushed, there's panic and now the virus is all over media. Yet still there's this people saying that this is just a cold. Those that previously said that this was nothing because of the MSM not reporting, are now saying that the MSM is exaggerating to sabotage Trump lol!

We cannot see reality if we keep our political lens on!
I'm not saying that we are all going to die because of this virus. But it is clearly a huge turning point in modern history, even bigger than 9/11. The end of globalization? maybe. I hope whatever comes next, it'll be for the best of us.

Remember, worst mistake is to underestimate the enemy!
edit on 29-2-2020 by Willyblake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

GL to you mf. Thank you for your insight. You bring thoughtful bites to the table. I hope you and yours stay safe. And everyone else on here, no matter political bents or personal reflections. Strange times here on planet earth. Never seen anything like this on ATS in my 10 years here. Take care of yourself friend!

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: armakirais

In Ohio and have been watching the shelves closely since early January. Bleach, water, ramen, and rice in their largest quantities were the first to get hit. The second wave at the beginning of February had more people buying canned goods especially greens (normally stocked less than corn and beans already though). Now I'm having trouble finding stores that stay stocked with canned meat.

After talking with employees, most blame it on orders not being large enough for the influx of "winter campers" (turns out I'm not the only one using that excuse with cashiers lol). I suspect it might start looking like the ammo shortage a few years ago where managers would tell their friends as soon as they stocked the shelf, leaving it empty inside of an hour or two.

I did notice a store that was abornamally stocked with bleach on the floor in stacks even so I think someone is paying enough attention to adjust orders now.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtful1

May I ask where you’re posting from? I believe RCFlying to be upstate NY....

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Nine new cases of novel coronavirus were confirmed Saturday in Japan's Health Ministry, bringing the total number of cases to 239 people on land and 705 from the Diamond Princess.

One recent case includes a man in his 70s who was a Diamond Princess cruise ship passenger. He had disembarked the ship after confirming his virus test was negative on February 20.

via CNN

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
Posting work written by others
edit on Sat Feb 29 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Willyblake

Good point; but at the same time according to some of the things I have read on here for the last two months we should have been well into the end times by now.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Is Trump having a press conference again?

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

Good point; but at the same time according to some of the things I have read on here for the last two months we should have been well into the end times by now.

I think the quarantine in China did have an effect on slowing down the progress. Now that it is in the wild in other countries, how they react will determine what comes next.

My own opinion is to start mass quarantine sooner rather than later. If governments wait too long, it will be too late. Here in the states, I would like to see schools closed within the next 2-3 weeks at the latest. Stay at home orders within a couple of weeks after that. It may not be a popular idea, but if we could wait till the current cases run their course, it may burn itself out. Stop the spread, dead. It is the only option that makes sense to me at this point.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I would feel safer if it were more like that here. In So. Indiana, in my town and the neighboring big town, I haven't seen much evidence of concern, shelves are mostly full. Rice is starting to become low on the shelves is all but everyone I have asked about whether they have heard or are concerned, most say not concerned at all. Scary to think of that many people who may not have much but good in the sense that I can buy a little here and there freely.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtful1

Thats kinda your problem. You have acess to everything thats why you know stuff, yet your block most other things for your own kids and trying to be the only source of real info so they to look up to you while you keep controll.

Kids these days if they have unlimited acess to everything will know what to do. I mean, how the hell do you think i found this site to look for info? lol

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrRCflying

originally posted by: DanDanDat

I think the quarantine in China did have an effect on slowing down the progress. Now that it is in the wild in other countries, how they react will determine what comes next.

My own opinion is to start mass quarantine sooner rather than later. If governments wait too long, it will be too late. Here in the states, I would like to see schools closed within the next 2-3 weeks at the latest. Stay at home orders within a couple of weeks after that. It may not be a popular idea, but if we could wait till the current cases run their course, it may burn itself out. Stop the spread, dead. It is the only option that makes sense to me at this point.

As much as that thought sounds odd - quarantine in our homes! - I totally agree with you. I believe it would stop the spread if we all stayed at home for a good while. I wish I could win the lottery so I could buy more stuff for some people who are concerned and can't prepare.
breaks my heart. But I am not working right now and am using my savings I had to maybe move this summer.
edit on 29-2-2020 by TruthJava because: (no reason given)

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join