It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 22

page: 191
<< 188  189  190    192  193  194 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Wow. Hope your power stays on, Nyiah. Hopefully some decent stores will still be open.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: LoneCloudHopper2

Wow. Hope your power stays on, Nyiah. Hopefully some decent stores will still be open.

Hopefully! All other errands aside, we also have grocery shopping to do at some point tomorrow (dear god, Jin, tell me Ken's up there has power, I'm told the one on Eastern is dark) I mean, there are other places to go not in power outage spots, they're just not preferred unless there's no choice.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Grocery and errand day for me tomorrow too. My friend and I make a day of it. We go out for lunch and then here, there and everywhere.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Well yeah, you'd want to stay at home. So far, so good then.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I haven't been down that way yet but no probs. Work was off during the day today and it's somewhat close.

Best I can do.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

"They definitely have a drink or three before speaking it!"

That doesn't help. I already need a shed dictionary to figure out you and Timely, never mind those videos. LOL
I actually love your accent and could always understand you in your vids.

If anyone notices a particular word or phrase that they like, I'd be happy to translate!

There's a great one (from Dundee) regarding savoury pastries.
One local pastry is called a Bridie - it's a minced-meat filled puff pastry in the approx shape of a semi-circle (not unlike a Traditional Pasty but less chunky).

In the Dundee area, you can find variations on the fillings, including one with lots of onions in the mix.
Technically, that would be called an "Onion Bridie" but the local dialect pronounces Onion as "Ung-in".
So, "An Onion One" becomes "An Ung-in wan" which in generally gets shortened to "An Ung-in'an".

This results in the brilliant situation where, if they are ordering a Bridie and an Onion one as well... it sounds like:

"A Bridie, an' an ung-in'an innaw"!

(If you're trying to say it out loud, try it slowly at first! And do it syllable by syllable, then build up the speed until eventually ALL of the syllables merge into one big "word"!)

I'd love to actually HEAR your efforts!!

G

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

You must have to be donning a kilt and holding your mouth .. just right, swilling 15yr old scotch whilst playing the bag pipes and tossing cabres (sp) !!

😚

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

cabers!

...and you forgot to list the 4" piece of celery or rhubarb that needs to be inserted into the mouth at right angles before attempting to speak any Scots dialect....

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

You must have to be donning a kilt and holding your mouth .. just right, swilling 15yr old scotch whilst playing the bag pipes and tossing cabres (sp) !!

Flaming bagpipes?

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Wakes up to the sound of bagpipes playing outside. Mumbles on her way to the coffee maker. Good Lord, you people get up early!

LOL

Good day everyone! I have to go out later and I am hardly awake. I feel like I could sleep for a week. hell, I've been wanting to hibernate all Winter.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Good morning everyone. I'm trying to catch my breath as I've recently returned from a much needed trip to the grocery store. The kitties were in dire need of kitty litter for one thing. My ankle was giving me hell this morning too. I can't mention this to dad or he will make up an excuse for me not do drive his cars because of it. (I know that doesn't make any sense but it is due to his brain not working properly).

For now it's time to do virus scans and chill out for the rest of the day.

I thought I would share the following story with you as good news is always better than bad news.

Hero Dog Breaks Out of House...

It turns out there was an actual gas leak in the home. Police believe Sadie ran from the house to get away from it and then led officers back to help.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

Hi Blue! It seems to be grocery day in the shed. You, Nyiah and myself.

I'll click your link later today. I love a good hero story! Yay Sadie!

Looks like it will be raining all day, but not really cold so I'm cool with that. Still trying to wake up here. Who bought the coffee? Is it decaffeinated or what????

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I haven't been down that way yet but no probs. Work was off during the day today and it's somewhat close.

Best I can do.

You were right, and they're both definitely without power, at least they were in the morning when we headed out & swung by both with high hopes.

Looks like both areas aren't going to get power back until Monday. God damn it, I was looking real forward to the sale on the sirloin, bratwurst & bacon. The Holy Trinity of meat is on sale -- and a really GOOD sale -- and we can't get any because the damned power is out & the sale ends Sunday

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Are they not accepting cash?

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico
Cash is not the issue. It's the simple problem that these days, many shops have to close when they have no power as they have no lights, & also no security cameras. And in the case Nyiah mentioned, the freezers and big coolers for food will all be off. After half a day or so, many of the goods -- especially meat -- can't be sold if they've thawed out a little (if frozen) or even started to get above a certain temperature if they're not.

I recall back in the 1960s when a local shop lost power, the man who owned it just lit candles. He found what you wanted by candlelight, then rang it up on a mechanical till, again by candlelight. But now, that's not an option in most places.

Even the little shop in our village needs to have its till "online" or they can't process any transactions. But the lady who runs the place has got around that a few times when us locals have needed to buy things. She just writes down what we buy and adds it up manually. We give her the cash and the next day when the online system is back up again, she rings it up on the till. I recall a couple of months back, when I wanted to pay by card as I didn't have enough cash, she just let me take the items after she'd written them down, then I went back the next day and she put it all through on my card. But this is a village and she knows all the local people. It's just not an option a big-city store: they just lock the doors.

Our modern technology has painted us into a corner. Along with modern morality -- or the lack of it -- where a power failure is just another opportunity for some people to steal. So, the shops have to close.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

All large nationwide supermarkets in Holland are managed centrally. (Meaning the computer that does it all is not in the supermarket but at the end of a network connection in the head-office.)

Tills (which use barcode scanners), product prices (linked to barcodes) and the bill are all done via barcodes and computers. Pro's and con's as the times change. Even the tills themselves are booted (started) from that one network connection. (Cameras too.) I saw a mix of MS-DOS and Linux as one of my local tills was restarted. It took a good couple of minutes before it was ready to scan.
edit on 8/2/19 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

It's so cool that you live in a village where the lady in the shop knows and trusts the people there.

It is a shame that that shops have to close because of security issues and people with a lack of morals.

My friend and I were discussing how messed up things are these days. It's like...too many people are going crazy and there is no longer even common sense any more. I swear there is something in the air or food and water or something that affects some people and not others. There is a disturbance in the force.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Sorry you missed a great sale Nyiah! We have snow and rain coming on Tuesday, but I don't know if it will add up to much or not. You guys have it bad out your way. Stay warm and be safe!

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Just pack'n up bits and pieces that I have collected so I am ready for the next move.
Going on a Marathon that starts tonight, because I have to get up and start the van every three hours. Not that I am complaining at all, I love feeling like dead meat for two days. Weather grumble, darn cold grumble.
Nyiah Those conditions sound so crappy. it could quickly turn into something very nasty. Mostly I am disappointed that I won't get your account of how you were going to cook "The Holy Trinity"

Sneaks in a meek Hello to Sheddigans, haven't much time to socialize, here or in RL. Hugs

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

Hiya Wis! Man, that sucks having to start the van every few hours!!!! I feel for ya!

HUGS!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 188  189  190    192  193  194 >>

join