It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat earth theory?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
You can’t see the Eiffel Tower from the cliffs in Dover, South East Kent, UK (my home town).

It’s only about 200 miles away, in a straight line. Closer than you said the Sun is, so the whole “you can only see so far” nonesense can’t be used.

Polaris can be seen in the Northern Hemisphere, but not the Southern.
Crux can be seen in the Southern Hemisphere, but not the Northern.

Flat earth debunked.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I hated Trig.

Yeah. But at least it has practical applications.

Like proving the world is flat. Why won't the flatheads use it?

edit on 8/25/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LolliKum
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I am asking a very specific question. Take a look at your flat Earth. Plot the course a flight from Sydney to Santiago takes, look at how many miles it is on your flat Earth. Now tell me how many miles it is on flat Earth to do that trip.

For example, how exactly would you propose someone could determine the distance, not on a map or globe but in the real physical world?
There is no way to do it.
Until someone comes up with a reliable way to measure great distances over huge expanses of oceans, it will remain an unsolved mystery.

OMFG, are you honestly reading the words that you are posting, you doubt we as a species can measure distance?

I have tape measures ranging from 3m to 60m just for work, if I attached them togther guess what they still measure distance, how can you honestly, and I mean honestly conclude we can not measure great distances.

So in answer to your mystery if I connected 100000 readily available tape measures togther at 60m each I can measure A distance of 6million metres or just under 3800miles, show me where you want me to measure and state what will make it impossible, how the hell can I have come up with this solution to your unsolved mystery and I work in construction, not some "scary" scientist

Please stop watching spurious truths on you tube and apply your own knowledge, which you must have as your own posts make good use of punctuation and spacings, basic maths is not much harder

Such as if a boat travels at 20knots per hour (1 knot = 1.15 miles per hour )for 4 hours you can estimate the distance, work that out and it may help you on your mystery quest
edit on 25-8-2018 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That is very true.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LolliKum

So hundreds even thousands of years ago they could make fairly accurate maps and you believe and want me to believe it's impossible today?

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Well, yeah.

That's certainly what it appears to mean.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I hated Trig.

Yeah. But at least it has practical applications.

Like proving the world is flat. Why won't the flatheads use it?

Well stars and satelites don't exist to them

Maybe trig doesn't either?

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
Too late:

No, trigonometry is not invalid by itself.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

In all the FE threads, that question is never answered. Ever. How about you be the first?
That question has already come up on this thread, about why it is that you cannot see Polaris from a certain distance away from the center of the circle of the flat plane earth.
It is because it is far away and you can only see things from a certain distance unless there is some extraordinary phenomenon to highlight something in particular. Polaris is not especially bright but mainly noteworthy as being the furthest north on the celestial sphere. As the celestial sphere rotates above the plane earth, it becomes apparent over time that it is the star that moves the slightest distance if you gave a fixed gaze at the northern sky.
So it is purely distance and the atmosphere that causes obscuring of things having to be seem through a very thick layer of air.
The other thing I mentioned in my earlier post on this subject is the thing you should be looking at if you are a spherical earth believer, is why you can see the North Star as far south as you can, because according to the theory, the curve of the earth would have blocked it from your view a long time before you got that far south.
This is something else I learned since my earlier post is the sky does not change as you go south. It stays exactly the same, this was observed by a guy going from Zurich Switzerland to his home in Argentina, and he took pictures and it looked exactly the same the whole way, instead of it gradually going behind the earth as he went south. You can see this in last Sunday night's issue of Globebusters video on YouTube.
edit on 2018825 by LolliKum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

This is something else I learned since my earlier post is the sky does not change as you go south.

Your sources suck.
How did ancient mariners navigate?

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   

The Earth is flat, isn't it? So the answers should be easy to come up with, and to prove.
The earth is a sphere, right? So the evidence should be all over the place that shows a curvature to the earth, to prove it.
Anyway, as far as flattness goes, that is very simple and has been shown over and over and is just part of the normal experience on the earth plane.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Anyway, as far as flattness goes, that is very simple and has been shown over and over and is just part of the normal experience on the earth plane.
Our perceptions "lie" on a regular basis. Demonstrate how the elevation of Polaris above the horizon corresponds to the latitude of observation. Draw a picture. It's easy.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Flat earth debunked.
Yah! Hurrah! You won!
OK, you all can just stop looking at this thread now.
The whole thing is solved, if you can see the sun you should be able to see the Eifel tower, right?
That proves all you need to know, if anything is closer to you than the Sun and you cannot see it, then it is the curvature of the spherical earth that is stopping you from seeing it.
Well, did you ever consider that one is a chunk of steel that has been out in the weather for a lot of years and the other is the source of incredibly bright light?

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

That makes no sense whatsoever.

But nor has anything else you have said so, never mind.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

The mud volcano that spits mud as high as the sun was pretty rich though

Moronic... but original

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

How high is the Sun?

Oh wait. That involves math. Math is problematic.

Beware math.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I think he said just over 400 miles up

Wonder how they measured that?

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I wonder how high Polaris must be.

Oh wait. Trig means they have to give a number that makes sense. Never mind.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

. . . show me where you want me to measure and state what will make it impossible . . .
The one that someone else was bringing up on this thread was Sydney, Australia to Santiago, Chile.
I think that would be the furthest stretch over open water between major land masses to the extreme south, or rather the extreme outer edges of the circle of the plane earth.
If you were seeing the world as a sphere, it would probably work out as the shortest line going over Antarctica, which would make it impossible to do unless you got permission from every signatory to the Antarctic Treaty, where you would have to separately apply to every country and then to the governing body over the treaty and pay so many millions of Dollars in fees and take years to create environmental impact studies and have all of those approved.
Anyway, that would be the purely legal problem. Then there are practical problems involved in how you would go about taking measurements. Anyway, there are serious problems involving long periods of darkness and hurricane force winds that last for long times and high winds when those leave, and ocean currents that go like crazy and huge waves that will sink a small boat. OK, this is just if you were thinking that this is a rather short distance considering how this is at the end of the hypothetical ball making this restrict together, and not even considering the reality that it is not shrunk together but rather spread far apart by really being the outer edge of a huge circle. Then you need to like triple all the distances you imagine while staring at a globe model.
My real point is no one has ever attempted such a thing and there are serious reasons why not to. This leaves these places and locations and distances as a great mystery and no one really wants that badly to know since no one wants to go there anyway and they do not, they travel far to the north to stay more towards the center of the circle of the plane and do not venture over these great expanses of ocean where there is no chance of rescue in case of an accident.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   

which would make it impossible to do unless you got permission from every signatory to the Antarctic Treaty,
False.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join