It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need your help. Might be homeless in under a month.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I live in thunder bay ontario. Jobs are scarce here as well. I work an hour and a half out of town at a palladium mine. Amazing cash in mining. Most of the time, you dont even need experience to get in at entry level.
For anyone who wants to make 6 figures a year goto infomine .com and click careers.
Scroll through the thousands of jobs and just start dumping your resume to places. I get called by head hunters every month offering me jobs from different mines. I even wrote on my profile (you dont need to create a profile) not to contact me unless the pay is bare minimum $7000 a month. Otherwise theres zero incentive to leave my current job. I work 4 days on 3 days off. But there places you can fly in and fly out and work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.

Good luck my fellow Canadian.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpecialSauce
a reply to: Ghost147

You have medical bills of $1000-6000 and you live in a province in Canada? Canada has universal healthcare. I'm not buying your story sorry.

Here's a helpful topic I made a while back. Hopefully it will provide you with some education. Universal Healthcare does not equal free health care.
Understanding Canada's health care system and why it's not FREE

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid

originally posted by: tweetie
A happier avatar wouldn't hurt.

SHHHHHH!

He might just put that other one back, you know that hideous exoskeleton dude...

Just KIDDING Ghost, I think...

BTW just know that you are NOT alone.

I suspect that many here on ATS have been going through sheer hell as well.

Don't forget to be thankful for the things you DO have, that wife for one.

Oh, no!!! I didn't realize the two avatars were connected to the same person!
Still, a happier avatar couldn't hurt. Something expressive of the more fulfilling life he and his wife deserve.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
You can also go door to door and offer to sell stuff for people on eBay or clean garages or do odd jobs. There are literally 100s of things you can do while you wait for you dream job.

There are two things I can't do for work, mentally. Work for commission and do door to door salesmanship. I've done both in previous jobs and nearly had mental breakdowns with both of them. Slight social anxiety issues. Those two lines of work are something I just can't mentally handle for whatever reason.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

What kind of work do you do?

I know people, depending on job experience.

The reason I was laid off is because of the oilfield. Other than that I've been in retail for several years when I was younger, and lately it's been construction work, no apprenticeships at the moment, but I was trying to get my electricians apprenticeship within the last year, unfortunately no one is hiring first year apprenticeships.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Not to be crass, but if your seeking help for this type of serious issue on this site...you might want to internalize the obvious fact that you habitually make poor life choices. People will gnash their teeth at this honesty, but you need to proiritize your goals, develop vision, and act. If you are looking for sympathy, sure you'll get some electrons, but that won't put something warm in your stomach. Unless you want to do favors for gas money behind the 7-11 dumpster, then your motivation is to humble yourself, seek real assistance locally, and rebuild your life. Empires are built one brick at a time. 21 year war military vet speaking. From nothing to everything...from experience. God bless you and good luck Brother!

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
I'm not sure which country you are in but some countries after 07 had government introduced debt relief, where an agency negotiates on your behalf to your creditors to remove the interest for a period of time. I think the banks with mortgages will also delay the interest for a period of 6 months if you lost your job.

Hmm, I wish I had known that sooner. I'm afraid it won't help me very much now, considering I'm selling my house. But I will look into it for the vehicle. Thanks for the tip

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridescentPhoenix

Not to be crass, but if your seeking help for this type of serious issue on this site...you might want to internalize the obvious fact that you habitually make poor life choices.

Perhaps you should re-read the OP. The purpose of this thread was to vent, the secondary purpose was to seek help, and so far I've received a number of replies that have actually lead me to look into things I've never heard of.

Do you think this is the first place I came to seek for any sort of information?

I haven't exactly been doing nothing in the past year that I've been unemployed.

Unless you want to do favors for gas money behind the 7-11 dumpster, then your motivation is to humble yourself, seek real assistance locally, and rebuild your life. Empires are built one brick at a time.

I'm on Employment Insurance. I'm at the top of the pay grade for it, so if I begin working a job that would make me less than my employment insurance gives me, I lose that employment insurance, and I make less per month.

That is the main issue here.

I could very well go out and get a job at mcdonalds and taco bell and work 7 days a week. But if I make less or even the same amount as I do on Employment Insurance, then I'm working for no reason at all.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

There is no way you haven't been able to find a job in a year. Local businesses are practically begging for workers everywhere I look. I guarantee I could have a job within a week at any number of places like the t-mobile or home depot or wal-Mart or any local restaurant.

My daughter is in high school and she has job offers all the time. If you don't have a job you just don't want one or you must not live in the United States.

There is zero reason to be homeless.

Again, it's not a matter of finding ANY job. I could very well do that, and am perfectly aware that I can. However, My employment insurance pays more than most jobs. So unless I find something $16-18 per hour at a bare minimum, then there is no reason for me to work and get paid less than what my employment insurance pays me.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I know people in this industry.

www.jll.com...

If you want, I could contact some people.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I know people in this industry.

www.jll.com...

If you want, I could contact some people.

That would be fantastic.

Is there any information you would need right off the bat (in a U2U message) or are you just going to inquire as to if they have anything available?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

Not to be crass, but if your seeking help for this type of serious issue on this site...you might want to internalize the obvious fact that you habitually make poor life choices.

Perhaps you should re-read the OP. The purpose of this thread was to vent, the secondary purpose was to seek help, and so far I've received a number of replies that have actually lead me to look into things I've never heard of.

Do you think this is the first place I came to seek for any sort of information?

I haven't exactly been doing nothing in the past year that I've been unemployed.

Unless you want to do favors for gas money behind the 7-11 dumpster, then your motivation is to humble yourself, seek real assistance locally, and rebuild your life. Empires are built one brick at a time.

I'm on Employment Insurance. I'm at the top of the pay grade for it, so if I begin working a job that would make me less than my employment insurance gives me, I lose that employment insurance, and I make less per month.

I could very well go out and get a job at mcdonalds and taco bell and work 7 days a week. But if I make less or even the same amount as I do on Employment Insurance, then I'm working for no reason at all.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

What about truck driving? It's quick training, you might need a student loan, and there's nothing in Alberta right now, but BC has work. Your wife would be with her family, so not alone if you go to BC for work.
Apparently BC is also the province doing the most construction at the moment.

Maybe the infrastructure money will happen soon, is there any quick training programs for equipment operating?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

What about truck driving? It's quick training, you might need a student loan, and there's nothing in Alberta right now, but BC has work. Your wife would be with her family, so not alone if you go to BC for work.
Apparently BC is also the province doing the most construction at the moment.

Maybe the infrastructure money will happen soon, is there any quick training programs for equipment operating?

I was looking into driver training previously, but I only have my class 5 at the moment, and to get anything more would be more than I can afford, and I don't believe I could get a loan while being unemployed, among other things. But I will look into student loans to see if it will cover it.

Thanks for the tip.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

Oof! I've previously seen some criticism by "trolls", but wow. There's a difference between someone looking for advice, and someone looking for attention. Within the last year the economy of Western Canada has changed dramatically and there are a few thousands of people going through a hard time. Uninformed criticism does not help.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Make sure you consult with ei before getting training (or see if they'll retrain since there's no work and they know that).
If you make moves for training of any type without their consent first, they'll cut off your ei immediately.
They're a-holes that way...

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

Make sure you consult with ei before getting training (or see if they'll retrain since there's no work and they know that).
If you make moves for training of any type without their consent first, they'll cut off your ei immediately.
They're a-holes that way...

Alright, thanks for letting me know

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
grab a squeegee and a bucket and spend your crack of dawn mornings washing car windows at traffice lights
during the day use your car as a courier / taxi service on craigs list.
advertise on billboards or craigslist you can do manual work, removals, deliveries, clearing gutters, fixing odds and ins around the house - go to your local supermarket and offer to stack shelves at night time.

there's always work out there if your willing to start from the bottom.

sucks to hear your struggling, your positions is my greatest fear and i doubt id be able to survive half as long as you have.

good luck hope it gets better

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThickAsABrick
Oof! I've previously seen some criticism by "trolls", but wow. There's a difference between someone looking for advice, and someone looking for attention. Within the last year the economy of Western Canada has changed dramatically and there are a few thousands of people going through a hard time. Uninformed criticism does not help.

You're absolutely correct, uninformed criticism doesn't help, which is why I don't consider every single person's comments as absolutely valid without a shadow of a doubt. Why do you think I consider every persons response here as the Gospel truth?

They are taken for what they are, concerned people trying to help another person.

Sure, many of their responses may not apply to my particular situation, but that doesn't mean that they are all meaningless.

Like I said already, the OP's main purpose was to release stress. If you want to call that attention seeking, feel free to do so.

Your concerns and assertions that I am simply another person with a fragile state of being that needs constant reassurance from others in order to boost my self esteem is noted.

Now, do you have anything productive to say?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

No, NIT if you want to "declare" it. That means you want to keep it and continue to make payments in it. Same goes for the car...a couple thoughts on the car, you might be able to trade down especially if you want to go off grid. Personally, I'd want a truck to do that. You could always grow organic and would need a way to get to market or flea market for sales. You could also offer to accept a certain amount of cash if someone would take over payments. The bank could refinance the loan for a deal like that. Would your bank refinance it for you for lower payments especially if you tell them you're thinking about bankruptcy? Questions are free! Bankruptcy isn't too big a deal...you get to start over and be very discriminating with financials after that. If you want to invest the time you can do the bankruptcy yourself by researching what paperwork you need and get it from your local courthouse...it cuts out those pesky lawyers! And too, lenders will chase after you to loan you money or open new accounts for you. DON'T DO IT! Maybe (and that's a BIG maybe) after you declare and get your feet under you again. But only after much thought and "what if's" are considered. I went through it twice, first thanks to my ex husband and once due to my step father thinking my mom would go before him. But...made it, got my credit back together and really think twice or more about things I just "gotta have"! Not even having a credit card is a wonderful feeling!

I sure wish you and your wife good luck. I've been there at my wits end too, with three kids, so I know how insurmountable life can seem. But the (almost) funny part is I can look back and see that things were NEVER as bad as they seemed even in the thick of it. And don't ever bother worrying about what other people think. They aren't paying your bills or putting food on your table and a roof over your heads. It's just you and your wife and you've got all you need...each other! So get a truck, a tent, a generator bad a piece of land! Oh, and some seeds!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join