It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need your help. Might be homeless in under a month.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
So, I'm in a pretty terrible position right now, and I need a bit of help from knowledgeable people. Here's the situation.

~ I was laid off nearly 1 year ago and have been on employment insurance since.
~ My wife is unable to work for medical reasons and I've been searching for a job to support myself and her ever since.
~ Our bills equate to double that of what I receive from employment insurance.
~ I've applied for over 100 jobs now, none of which have excepted me for various reasons, and the one's whom I did go to an interview with turned out to be something I simply cannot do.
~ Medical issues have just came about that may cost us anywhere from $1000-$6000.
~ We've sold nearly all our furniture and belonging that aren't absolutely essential.
~ Our house is currently on the market and has been for nearly 2 months at a more than reasonable price, and we've had to lower it far below our original asking price. Lots of viewings, not one offer. Need to sell it because we can't afford to live here anymore despite being a 700 sq/f house on a small lot.
~ Purchased a vehicle 3 months before I got laid off, can't sell it because we owe too much money on it.
~ We've been surviving only through the help of my father, whom we'll be paying back once the house sells. (Currently $15,000)
~ Took out a loan 1.5 years ago to help pay for our wedding, trouble throughout that time has led us to be unable to pay that off (fortunately only $13,000)
~ Employment insurance runs out in 4 weeks, still haven't had any call backs from any possible jobs despite about 20 resume's
~ My last option for work is working several low paying jobs 7 days a week to only just cover basic living (the city I live in is excessively expensive, and the Canadian dollar so poor that food is the highest it's been in memory)
~ May need to declare bankruptcy, but don't know anything about it, nor the consequences of doing so.

Anyway, I just needed to vent to relieve stress.

If anyone has any suggestions on what we might need to do, I'm more than willing to listen.

We are currently planning on moving in with my wife's family, as they too are going to be moving soon so we can reduce all of our bills (they have treaty status so their power/water/waste is paid for). But, we have a very limited amount of time before we have no money coming in at all and cannot afford to reduce the price of our house any lower without losing money on it and keeping all of our debt.

Thanks for letting me vent

edit on 25/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

From personal experience, just when you think you're up against the void and nothing is going to be there to keep you from falling in, something will happen.

Even if it doesn't come riding to the rescue in the nick of time, be patient, it will come. Some doors close and others open.

All you have to do is take the next step as it presents itself.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

From personal experience, just when you think you're up against the void and nothing is going to be there to keep you from falling in, something will happen.

Even if it doesn't come riding to the rescue in the nick of time, be patient, it will come. Some doors close and others open.

All you have to do is take the next step as it presents itself.

That seems to be a continual event over the past 5 years of my life. However, it always seems to keep us from getting one step ahead, and only remain one step from rock bottom.

All my wife and I want is to live off grid, generate our own electricity, and grow our own food, that way we can avoid economic struggles and unemployment rates.

I'm just very tired of waiting for everything to pan out and having no control over it all

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Friend, I have been there half my life, and have no real advice unfortunately.

Just take my true heartfelt sympathy and a wish that times get better for you and yours, and soon.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

How to get a job.

First off you have to realize there is hardly any jobs out there, and 99% of those you see listed are not real jobs, they are placed there by employment agencies trying to fill there databases with names, but you can use that against them!
Pick an agency that claims to have a lot of jobs in your area.
Watch the job boards for jobs placed by that agency.
After a while you'll begin to notice the pattern. They keep posting the same jobs over and over.
When you spot it, get on the phone and demand to know why you are not being considered for the job they KEEP advertising!
You wont get it because it doesn't exist! However they will place you in another as soon as they possibly can because they'll know that you've spotted what they're doing!

It worked for me.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Move to Texas and get a job, we are doing pretty well down here right now. We love Canadians too! You can make tons of money in the oil industry, good money as a car salesman, and decent pay with benefits as a correctional officer. All these jobs do not require any experience whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

How to get a job.

First off you have to realize there is hardly any jobs out there, and 99% of those you see listed are not real jobs, they are placed there by employment agencies trying to fill there databases with names, but you can use that against them!
Pick an agency that claims to have a lot of jobs in your area.
Watch the job boards for jobs placed by that agency.
After a while you'll begin to notice the pattern. They keep posting the same jobs over and over.
When you spot it, get on the phone and demand to know why you are not being considered for the job they KEEP advertising!
You wont get it because it doesn't exist! However they will place you in another as soon as they possibly can because they'll know that you've spotted what they're doing!

It worked for me.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to keep that in mind, but like I said, I have about 1 month before everything goes to hell.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Unfortunately, your story is not a new one.

Sorry to hear of the hardships you're facing.

You may want to consider getting a free consultation with a bankruptcy lawyer, they can at least fill you in on what all the ramifications of claiming bankruptcy would mean.

Have you considered getting all of your debts consolidated into one ? That can take a huge chunk out of your monthly debt repayments.

You may also have to consider taking on several crappy paying jobs to keep your heads afloat... just keep reminding yourself that it's a temporary means until a better job comes along. And yes, one will come along eventually.

Have you looked into finding work elsewhere in the country ? If where you live is ridiculously expensive, it may very well be one of the smarter things to do anyways.

There are no easy answers to the problem you're facing.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I feel for you my friend, I'm in the same boat, I just typed a long post about my situation but deleted it, I'm sick of my own situation.

I wish you luck, use that Car for Uber? (I wouldn't do Uber either)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I've been there too. Something good will come along for you and your family.

Sending you all the positive vibes I can.

Something good will happen!

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Have you looked into finding work elsewhere in the country ? If where you live is ridiculously expensive, it may very well be one of the smarter things to do anyways.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have only recently looked at other places in the country, however, the issue is that my wife's medical issues prevent us from moving very far with any sort of ease, if not any possibility at all; at least under these conditions.

Unemployment has doubled since 12 months ago in my province alone, and we simply have no money to be able to move anywhere anyway, short of taking out yet another loan

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

I'm not sure what Uber is

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Wow. I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time right now. Just a thought, but in the U.S. some Temp agencies actually pay decent, and can keep you working at different places as the need arises for their clients. Occasionally, some of those jobs turn into permanent positions.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

That seems to be a continual event over the past 5 years of my life. However, it always seems to keep us from getting one step ahead, and only remain one step from rock bottom.

"What" keeps you one step from rock bottom, if I may?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Uber is where you basically give people taxi rides which they order on a smartphone app (so there is a large customer base and plenty of customers if you are in an urban-enough area)

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation - I actually work in employment services and would be More than happy to look at your resume, job postings in your area, potential other government services you may not know about, etc. Feel free to U2U me if you want, at any rate I'm wishing you the very best and I like others on this thread believe in my heart and soul that something will pan out for you

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Uber is where you basically give people taxi rides which they order on a smartphone app (so there is a large customer base and plenty of customers if you are in an urban-enough area)

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation - I actually work in employment services and would be More than happy to look at your resume, job postings in your area, potential other government services you may not know about, etc. Feel free to U2U me if you want, at any rate I'm wishing you the very best and I like others on this thread believe in my heart and soul that something will pan out for you

That's cool, FamCore. Thank you for offering to help a fellow member in need. So many are going through rough times, including myself, but I still hate to hear of others just scraping by.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Next Wednesday you are going to get called to go to work somewhere.

I hope I am right but don't bet on it.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

What about LinkedIn? Or the local government employment office?

"linkedIn" is a platform for professionals that lets you network, look at open positions, receive recommendations and endorsements for your skills, etc.

and it's free (it's kind of like Facebook but for jobs, not just social life)
edit on 25-2-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: ugmold

I'm not sure what Uber is

This is a great Idea

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Consider bankruptcy, especially if your credit has taken a hit anyway.

The best advice I can give to anyone regardless of their situation is that it is OK (maybe even recommended) to take a job that is beyond your capability. It will force you to step up and learn thereby bettering yourself at the expense of an employer instead of paying for training.

Our circumstances are always improvable.

Good luck and make the crisis serve you rather than allow it to reinforce any unsubstantiated doubts you may have about yourself.

edit on 25-2-2016 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join