It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being christian while rejecting important OT figures?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Educate yourself, sk0rp

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

SisyphusRide
the different sects of the religion of Mohammed war with each other and murder one another over interpretation variations.

Seriously. Muslims can't even figure out who is a 'proper muslim' and who isn't ... and yet we see one come on here and try to tell Christians which ones are 'proper christians' and which aren't? He needs to deal with his own religion before he sticks his nose into the Christian religion.

Different Christian groups read scripture in different ways. They don't all always agree. (Just like the different Muslim groups don't all agree.) What Christians DO agree on ... Jesus came from Heaven to save souls, and everyone should try to love God and Neighbor.

Christians know Jesus from Christian scripture. Muslims have constructed an idea of Jesus from their fabricated Qu'ran stories and from their religious leaders. VERY DIFFERENT. No muslim should be on here shouting at Christians that they have to believe in Jesus the same way that Muslims do. Thats NOT going to happen.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The Hidden Story of Jesus - Documentary

Theologian Dr Robert Beckford investigates amazing parallels to the Christ story in other faiths, some of them predating Christianity by thousands of years. The Hindu god, Krishna, was conceived by a virgin and his birth was attended by angels, wise men and shepherds. Buddha was also the result of a miraculous birth and visited by wise men bearing gifts. Beckford attempts to unravel the mystery of why there are so many versions of the Christ story across the world and asks which is the real one.

Was the Christ Story stolen from other, older religions? Theologian Dr Robert Beckford investigates remarkable parallels between the stories of Jesus, Krishna, Buddha, Mithra, and other major religious entities, and examines how these similarities impact Christianity and its message.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

You are on your own when it comes to thinking Jesus' teaching included Buddhism.

NO she definitely is NOT ON HER OWN.

edit on 12/18/13 by wildtimes because: self edit.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Interestingly there are academics with equally impressive credentials who are critics of the minority academics you believe to be true.

Notovich was a self confessed liar and majority of christian scholarship rejects the idea of travel to india, tibet etc as without any historical basis.

Would you believe a minority view when it suits you and a majority view when it suits you? Just to connect Jesus pbuh to buddhism?

It is a very understandable problem you and other revelation disbelievers have. If two people have same message and ideas then they must have met, learnt from the other or plagarized.

How about God inspiring people at different places at different times to deliver the same message by making them His messengers?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by logical7

Interestingly there are academics with equally impressive credentials who are critics of the minority academics you believe to be true.

So what?

There are academics with equally impressive credentials who are critics of the "Islam" you portray as true, also. Obviously "popularity" has nothing to do with TRUTH.

Interestingly.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Perhaps, then, in her own words, "The vast majority of Christianity's 2 billion and some adherents disagree with her".
Not to mention, much more importantly, the unanimous agreement of all serious modern scholarship on the absurdity of Jesus having lived in Kashmir (either before 30, or after his crucifixion).

Also, Krishna's mother Devaki was not a virgin, and his birth was not a virgin birth. Neither was Mithras's, or Buddha's. or Hercules's, or Osiris's, etc.

PS: Notovitch himself confessed to making up his entire story. People still take his fiction as fact?
edit on 18-12-2013 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2013 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

babloyi
Perhaps, then, in her own words, "The vast majority of Christianity's 2 billion and some adherents disagree with her".

WHAT PART OF - 'I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT JESUS LEARNED BUDDHISM' - DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET?

I said that those who DO think he learned it have a good case.
The comparison of the teachings is VERY obvious.
I did NOT say that I believe he did. I HAVE NO IDEA IF HE DID OR NOT.

It is possible to acknowledge that they have a point and not believe or disbelieve their point.
I SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW.

GEEEEZE ...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

Notovich notwithstanding (long dead), Dr Hassnain certainly has done his homework.
/shrug

whatever

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I'm with ya on this one! Jesus teachings do parallel with the teachings of Buddhism and Tao to name a couple.

Is it by coincidence? No to me because I do not believe in coincidences.

Although the Gospel of Thomas is not taken in by mainstream Christianity, it is with me. Jesus sounds like a teacher of Buddhism. No doubt.

The box that some Christian/teachers sit in would leave me claustrophobic!

It is also my opinion that Jesus was more of a mystic. The religion seems so separated from the actual teachings and for that reason I choose not the label of Christianity. It needs to be transformed, ya know!

Here is a good read if you are interested in comparing. www.sanctuarypublications.com...

Also, it is my belief he taught reincarnation. We find it in the Bible even, although Christians get ALL upset when you prove that one. lol Again this too can be found in the teachings of the East.

This seems to note Jesus/Krishna being the same soul through reincarnation. www.near-death.com...

"I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again ... no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." - Jesus Christ (John 3:3-8)

edit on 18-12-2013 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Heya Mama!!!

So glad you jumped in here!!

Thanks for the link.

*bumps knuckles* We've been steadfast walking abreast of each other on these twin paths, eh?? They diverge from time to time, but then - there you are again!!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Hahaha! Yes, I hear ya loud and clear.

Some things are so evident, ya know. Man can complicate the simplest thing. Geez!

I know in my heart, mind and soul that I lack many answers, but this matter is evident in so many ways.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

You mean the Ahmadiyyah muslim who has it as an article of faith that Jesus lived and died in Kashmir? He doesn't seem to have done a very good job of it, considering that so many reputable scholars (including christians, secularists and even those who acknowledge that there might be a connecton between buddhist and christian teachings) disagree with him.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
There are some scholars that believe Jesus was/is and always will be a "myth" and that ...

Abraham and Sarah were derived from Brahma and his wife Saraswati, and that Christ was related to Krishna
en.wikipedia.org...

Let's just set all the cards on the table. lol

For me this below is where the goods are too.

Bauer initially left open the question of whether an historical Jesus existed at all.[21] Later, in A Critique of the Gospels and a History of their Origin, (1850–1851) Bauer argued that Jesus had not existed, and in 1877 in Christ and the Caesars he suggested that Christianity was a synthesis of the Stoicism of Seneca the Younger and of the Jewish theology of Philo as developed by pro-Roman Jews such as Josephus.[22] Bauer's work was heavily criticized at the time; in 1839 he was removed from his position at the University of Bonn, and his work did not have much impact on future myth theorists.[

Funny, I think the same soul as Jesus was Krishna.

It's like we all have a bit of the truth but not the entirety of it to be clear on each and every thing in regards to Christ.

I believe Edgar Cayce was on to something.

Here is his Jesus Reincarnation Index
1. Jesus as a Reincarnation of Adam
2. Jesus as a Reincarnation of Melchizedek
3. Jesus as a Reincarnation of Joseph
4. Jesus as a Reincarnation of Joshua
5. Jesus as a Reincarnation of Buddha
6. Jesus as a Reincarnation of Horus
7. Jesus as a Reincarnation of Krishna
8. Jesus as a Reincarnation of Mithra

Funny, he remained a Baptist.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The Common Teachings of Four Mystical Traditions: Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, Lao Tzu; The Parallel Sayings
By Richard Hooper.

This is a PDF doc - the entire book some excerpts. (woops. my bad.)

Have a look, everyone!!

Thanks to MamaJ for the link given above (sanctuarypublications) for another awesome resource.
:thumb up:
edit on 12/18/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
What about Gnostic Christians?
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Gnostics teach that there is a supreme god above the god of this world, the god of this world being Allah or the god of the Old Testament and others.

And depending on the sect, Jesus is ether sent by the supreme god to let everybody know what’s going on or Jesus becomes aware of this supreme god or Jesus works out what the true nature of the world is.

The teaching is that the god of this world confuses souls with warfare and tribalism and earthly religions and greed and so on causing the soul to keep coming back to this earth – but what you are supposed to do is see past all the earthly stuff so you can go and be with the supreme god when you die

This is why there are two genesis stories in the bible and why some important early Christian teachers didn’t want the Old Testament bundled in with the new

And the test/return to earth or move on to a higher state thing resembles some early Buddhist teaching
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Read this below..

TextRobertson argued that a solar deity symbolized by the lamb and the ram had been worshiped by an Israelite cult of Joshua for long and that this cult had then invented a new messianic figure, Jesus of Nazareth
en.wikipedia.org... ( Same link as above)

Now... if Cayce is right then this above may hold some truth as well. Joshua= Jessua= Jesus.

It's no secret the Christian teachings were taken from other philosophies and or myths.

BUT.. I say the soul we relate to as Jesus, was Jesus but he has many other names and lives he lived on Earth that tell the same type of story. He/We carry a cross of burdens and one day they will be lifted. Be nice to one another and love one another because that is the only way we are to survive.. with each other because our spirits have been made flesh. Overcome it! These teachings are global, too with many names.

His-story repeats itself.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

The teaching is that the god of this world confuses souls with warfare and tribalism and earthly religions and greed and so on causing the soul to keep coming back to this earth – but what you are supposed to do is see past all the earthly stuff so you can go and be with the supreme god when you die

Yep! "Smacks" of buddhism, eh? Reincarnation, higher soul, 'new age'....
makes sense to me.

(Hiya, racasan!)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Nice post and I agree.

Spirit/Flesh duo.. Old way of thinking about God and the New way of thinking about God is seen clearly from the Old to the New Testaments. They are testaments of mans relations with each other and God. Filled with many his-=tories. Man as a collective mind can think many ways about God and there has been one soul I do believe and or many who has met the mark so to speak and is our representative to the higher intelligent creator we call God ( whatever name or no name ). A hierarchy.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I've mentioned this to FlyersFan before, but her beliefs seem to very strongly match an early christian strain (later deemed heretical by the church) called Marcionism. Marcion's canon of the new testament just had Luke (which is why I thought of FlyersFan) and the Pauline epistles.

He also totally rejected the OT, and said that the OT god was a lower entity (or an opposing entity?) to Jesus. It is similar to Gnosticism, but I think he rejected that label (as well as the gnostic gospels).

Again, not what "the vast majority of Christianity's 2.something billion adherents subscribe to", but it seems to match up with FlyersFan's view of Christianity.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join