It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But People Don't Want To Work!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TRiPWiRE

Didn't know there was such a demand for post hole diggers. Where do you live?

If desperate, I'd hit the construction sites. I am getting up there in age, but still young enough for such work.

Sadly all the low skilled labor jobs where I live are almost exclusively for people from south of the border and they don't hire gringos.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I will give you details of somebody I knew in the UK. Decide for yourself if you would work if you were in this situation.

Without Job:
Housing Benefit : 65 pounds per week
Council Tax Benefit
Disability Living Allowance : 115 pounds per week
Mobility Allowance : 64 pounds per week

Total spendable income per week: 179 pounds per week.
Minus around 20 per week on utility bills
Lets say 150 pounds per week disposable income. He lived on his own so food was very little. Probably around 5 pounds per day. Didn't drink, didn't smoke. I would estimate that he came out with around 120 a week to spend on things other than the general cost of living.

If he were to get a job he would lose all benefits, he would have to pay for prescriptions and he would have to pay council tax. We worked it out one day that he would loose something like 60 pounds a week in a minimum wage job, after all deductions.
There seemed to be a threshold in the UK at which it is not worth working. If you are over 25 then it works out that a job paying less than 15,000 a year is not worth taking as you would be better off on benefits. To really make the effort of working worth it, you would prefer to take home around 1500 - 1700 a month .. so you would need a job paying 22,000 or more.

Benefits do not need to be cut. Minimum wages around the world need raising to a realistic level for today. Even here in Japan, the minimum wage is out of date and doesn't work. I think it's around 750 yen per hour (this is around 4 pounds per hour). Then again we only pay 5% consumption tax in comparison to the UK's 20%.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

I considered the Peace Corps but I guess now you need at least an associates degree.
The way you described the Navy life, I might have to give it a shot.
I'd love to put my life on the line as long as I know I'm doing the right thing.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Didn't know there was such a demand for post hole diggers. Where do you live?

Are you trying to trivialize the job role by calling it hole diggers?

Might as well call surgeons scalpel shovelers while you are at it

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
That reminds me of a story.

William Bradford wrote a journal of the first colony in the new world.

They had made an agreement that whatever they produced would be stored in a common storehouse and shared.

So, many people decided not to work, because they would get an equal share whether they worked or not.

That first winter, they almost starved.

So they adjusted they plan. The Gov, Bradford, assigned each family a section of the land and they could keep or sell any excess they produced.

From page 90. This happened in 1623.

And so assigned to every family
a parcell of land, according to the proportion of their number for that
end, only for present use (but made no devission for inheritance), and
ranged all boys & youth under some familie. This had very good success;
for it made all hands very industrious, so as much more corne was
planted then other waise would have bene by any means y^e Gov^r or any
other could use, and saved him a great deall of trouble, and gave farr
better contente. The women now wente willingly into y^e feild, and tooke
their litle-ons with them to set corne, which before would aledg
weaknes, and inabilitie; whom to have compelled would have bene thought
great tiranie and oppression.

This worked, all the people worked hard, and they had more than enough.

This illustrates a great truth of human nature. But, sadly, we never learn...

ebook here

edit on 19-5-2012 by kawika because: added link

edit on 19-5-2012 by kawika because: add text

edit on 19-5-2012 by kawika because: add quote

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kingllama

I considered the Peace Corps but I guess now you need at least an associates degree.
The way you described the Navy life, I might have to give it a shot.
I'd love to put my life on the line as long as I know I'm doing the right thing.

Llama,

Very important.

Whatever deal you make, get it in writing...

Don't settle for a promise not in writing.
edit on 19-5-2012 by kawika because: add quote

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
WARNING! The following opinionated response will have some statements that may be deemed offensive, tasteless, or just downright mean. Readers discretion is advised.

I am a sales guy at the Wal-Mart electronics department, and my check does the direct store deliveries in the back. We go two kids and a nice apartment. We have absolutley ZERO issues surviving, and that is less than 40,000 a year combined. And you know what else is a shocker, we can travel on our vacation to different parts of the country.

We dont get EBT or even damn WIC , because having two working individuals in a home is too much income even at walmart. Not a problem though, we still eat healthy.

And if you think we have not been in a problem guess again. I was in a car accident in 2011 that almost killed me. WAs out of work for three months. Unfortunatley when I called the benefits line from my employer to claim the short term disability, I had apparantley forgot to sign up for it. So I used up all of my vacation, sick and personal hours to fill half the gap. Didnt get any cash assistance from the local government, they would probably just say I make too much money ayways. Just tapped into my credit cards with care to pay help cover the rent AND get a working vehicle as I did not have collision coverage to save on money.
So I paid 1400$ that I took as a cash advance from my credit card because without a vehicle noone is getting anything done. Went back to work after three months in did not try and milk it.

What made me sick is that while I was gone a female worker had an accident that did not result in a fracture and she was milking it for everything at work, riding around in an amigo and everything.

Im not saying it will be easy for those out of work right now, because in all honesty, hope is probably all lost for them. Thier screwed. They spent their prime taking out massive loans for college in industries that may have been high paying but unstable. They did not do the long term research on those jobs. They just knew they could learn it, and that it made money. They did not pay attention to the potential outsourcing from various government trade agreements. They were also probably irresponsible with the finances.

Before I was eightteen I used to see the card offer for my dad come in the mail. So I asked avbout them and learned everything about them. To ALWAYS avoid the banks with annual fees. To only take the ones offering promotional APR's for at least a year and then transfer and close it to another promotional card for the next year. Most of my large purchase were only in the event of life circumstances or emergencies that warranted them.

Failing breaks, new car, supplies for the expecting children. And there was even a time when I just splurged with them. But I never got carried away and I ALWAYS paid on time. And as a result I rarely if ever pay any interest, and never pay an annual fee. Having this safety net, as well as the deferred payment protection plans that come with them (in the event you can not pay them any longer, for example LOSING YOUR JOB!!!) has really helped me where in many peopels situation they would have simply destroyed their credit and lost their living accomendations or transportation.

So as a result, My family has thrived in this piss poor economy as a family making under 40,000 a year as hourly worker at one of the most loved/hated retailers in the country where the common myth is we are treated as slave labor. Sometimes our service does suck I will give ya that, but it is usually a result of horrible mannered shoppers that want to treat US as their slaves or rag dolls to be harassed and insulted.

So if you are disabled, apply to walmart. My store has two workers that are disabled. Both can walk, but one has a spinal disorder and has that classic cripple walk (god that was horrendously offensive of me) and the other one is so fat she choose not to walk and rides around in the amigo all day simply handing out flyers or putting away returns. The crippled one actually does REAL work stocking, mainting backroom inventory, running various tasks and erands. Its the fat one that does not and she can walk (or waddle) like a normal person. They are both female.

Unfortunately for most who are in the pits now, if yall not gonna get up, find something that you can do that people will pay for, print up flyers, and send them to neighborhoods and pdestrian heavy businesses like luandry mats and little corner grocery stores than the situation I described above is all you can hope for.

So which person will the unemployed reading this be, the working cripple or the lazy fat person in the amigo? They both lived an entire life leading up to the moments they were hired. One of them obviosuly made the lazy choices, and the one who was born having it hard made the working choices. Either way, they are both being paid right now, can many of yall say the same.

Start with what there is, and move on.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Not what I said, or meant, but funny.

I just don't see a lot of demand for post hole diggers, or what ever you want to call them.

It is the problem with your whole op. The demand isn't there, and for those on the outside, there currently is very little opportunity, and I have proven you wrong.

I noticed you either ignored or missed my last response to you.

The demand for workers is far less than the people available and able to work. People without experience are currently in a bad situation.

In what year did you get your start? Could it be at a time when the market situation was far different, and you are simply ignoring current realities?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Wal-Mart has killed the North American Economy.

They are tops on the list of what's wrong with our economic system.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
"And if you can't afford kids why did you have them?"

Um because when he was born in 1994 I had a top notch job with huge savings? Because life was amazing til about 3 years ago when I lost everything and have been unable to find work since?

Good LORD man.
Like I knew precisely what road life would take me to in 94. xD
Yup. Under your logic, NO one should have kids EVER because they may lose their job and everything when their kids are 12, 14, 16 years of age.

Ya got me there, dood. Truly.

TUBE TIES AND VASECTOMIES FOR ALL!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Being a retired plumber I will say , yes there are jobs out there however...
There is NO new construction, that puts some plumbers out of work, or at least makes for fewer jobs.
Not many people in this economy are doing remodels, this also adds to the crunch.
There are maintenance jobs, chasing turds and an occasional install.
But even with dealing with the scrap jobs, folks always want a percentage off as the economy sucks.
Try getting a discount with a doctor or a lawyer or on a bunch of bananas at your grocery store, try getting 10 percent off of your gas, try getting a free big mac for buying a shake and fries, it ain't happening.
It was just easier for me to retire and watch the rest of the world fight for scraps.
Sure there are jobs, but until the US starts MANUFACTURING things, all of those people who would manufacture fight for the service jobs.
That is the real problem.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

g14 your manufacturing jobs have been moved out of country on purpose by marxist globalists.
Hopefully you guys pull through

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Oh for gods sake people!

Can we bottom line this?

If you expect a handout, are reluctant to explore other professions, or just want to "bang on your drums all day"

then go for it.

The rest of us who find JOBS, NOT excuses, will work.

Easy-peasy, lemon-squeasy.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

How did you know he was a dentist in the first place? It is not a big assumption to think he was credentialed in El Salvador if he worked as a dentist there.

In some ways I agree with you. Credential requirements are way over done at this current time. They want you to have a college degree when a HS diploma or GED should suffice. When the job market was good, employers were happy if you could answer questions to prove your capability.

At the same time, there are very legitimate reasons to hire someone to do a job only if they have some established ability to do the job.

What many employers want is to hire someone for a lessor job, then assign that person to to do the higher skilled job, with the lower pay.

The bigger problem is that we currently produce more than we are capable of consuming. Rather than share jobs, large numbers of people are pushed out of the job market, and we all get screwed in the process except those in the highest levels, who get over compensated.

People without skills, or out dated skills are not able to find jobs, because the job market isn't there.

With current technology, we could all be living much better lives, and everyone given an opportunity to contribute, but that is not how things are being done. Those on the outside of the system, are having a great deal harder time of getting back in.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yeah, there are plenty of lazy people who work the system.

Some of them work the government for handouts, but from my experience, far more of them work the corporate system to collect paychecks without doing any real work. They play politics, and hang on to there jobs, while the real workers get screwed if they don't play the politics.

It is all a part of the problem that modern technology has created a huge gap between actions and consequences, which allows so many people to get by through working the system, rather than contributing.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Ran out of space, but to continue, I do odd jobs when I feel like I want more money or am working towards a new goal. I pick up scrap, by far the easiest way to find extra dollars, but not the biggest payout, UNLESS you know what your doing. I once had a contract with two apartments to drop off locked containers for their facility to recycle cans, aluminum and steel. They were close to my parents at the time so I would pickup the load every couple of nights. It was an easy supplement and I simply sorted the contamination (garbage and plastic) on site and threw it in their garbage. Stopped when I move and had a family though. HOWEVER, you would be surprised how easy it is to charge a small fee for simple tasks that most consumers either dont want to or dont know how to do. I have a flyer that I update now and then, i'll scan it in when I have time, that has a few of the things I can do on the side for real cheap. I call it my 20-50+ jobs.

I can setup and install home networks, both wired and wireless (up to 50), mount television to the wall(20-30 depending on size and rediculously easier to do than it sounds) but I dont run the wires behind drywall or anything like that. I also change brake pads on many vehicles (20$ job). All it takes me is a 4way, a 25$ jack that I bought from walmart and some jack stands, a c-clamp and various size wrenches. I can actually install calipers too but I only bring it up if I get an auto call. I did not recieve training, I bought a book for my first vehicle and learned how to do this with a couple of friends of mine. Im working on gettign the right tool to do cv joints also, because they are only 30 minute jobs at the most if you have the right tools (which are not at all expensive) and have figured out how to do it.

I also do detailing (20-50+ depending on what yua want done).

Basically when I am either in the mood for extra cash and have time, I will put these flyers up in laundry mats, bars, utility poles, bus stops and whatnot. My marketing factor is most of these jobs are only $20-$50+ and much cheaper to do then going to a business that does them. Best Buy and walmart sell services that start at 60% or mroe for not even MOUNTING the damn TV's! Just brakes charges $100 to change pads that can be dont at their facility in like ten minutes. I will do it in about 30 minutes and only charge 20-30. Now I am no rocket scientist, but I got no problem making 40-60$ an hour on an easy job.

Mounting a TV to the wall takes no more than fiteen minutes. Thats another 20-30$. That works out to 80-120$ an hour right there!!! And when im done people look at me with wonderment probably after they realize how simple it could have been done by the for free. But they are not in the hole for a benjamin or two, just a jackson or two. I hook up home theatre systems. also.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Wow MA! All these responses, a very good thread, and a very good post. Timely, pertinent, accurate, and yet only 7 flags. Bunch of sissy whiners too lazy to go get some work or get up and move to a better town, or get educated online and create an opportunity for themselves. Much easier to place blame and make excuses.

If anyone doesn't believe MA, please come on down to Tallahassee. If you can pass a drug test and speak with halfway decent grammar, then we have jobs for you. As a matter of fact, my wife was telling me just yesterday how a woman at her office as mad because she can't get fired. She's been trying to get fired for 4 months, and the company just won't do it. They keep giving her FMLA, and time off, and mental counseling, when all she really wants is her unemployment benefits!
My favorite Chinese Restaurant needs servers and drivers, my office building needs security guards, the convenience store by my house needs clerks, and the Lowes I shop at weekly is begging for employees. Walmart by my house is hiring, there are a million landscape companies hiring, trucking companies are hiring, and they will pay you to learn to drive!

Unemployment is a farce.

edit on 19-5-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Yeah but you have to compete with the other fifty to a hundred TV mounters for the same job.

It really doesn't matter what job you're going after, a post hole digger, or a doctor's or a CEOs, there a lot of competition for them all. Assume at least twenty other people are competing with you for that job.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
In reply to the OP, not sure where you live, but in Australia i'd say 60% of trades in all fields have gone bust.

Basically all my friends are tradies and are all jobless due to lack of work.

Half of the major companies in my field particularly have gone out of business.

I lost my last 2 jobs due to lack of work and am now un-employed.

The thing is, no one can afford to build any more. Renting is skyrocketing, and the price of food, cars, housing and utilities out does the weekly income for the average Joe.

Plus in trade, you ruing your body, your joints, and work long hours for the same profit some one does for working in IT, hardly rewarding...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Actually, yes. The post you replied to asked about unions, then you said, just people who don't work for unions are the scabs.

So you did indeed seem to be very insulting towards people who aren't part of a union.

If you aren't, you really need to make yourself clear and clarify exactly who you meant to be were scabs.

Please quote for me a single time in my posts that used the word "union". I already clarified exactly what I meant.

Ats really is becoming a mecca for making crap up and accusing someone of saying it.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join