It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But People Don't Want To Work!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I was referred to this dentist by a few friends who had used him for years. Satisfied customers who made it clear that he was an unlicensed dentist. It was out of necessity that I went to him. I was just going to have the tooth pulled. He talked me into instead getting a root canal, and he does his own lab work in terms of metals in ceramics. He let me make payments on this. Before I agreed to this I called my two friends who swore by him and told them what he was suggesting. Both assured me they have had root canals from him and that he is a great dentist.

I have never asked him about his credentials in El Salvador, or even if he was a dentist in El Salvador. I was somewhat nervous about trusting him, but I trusted my friends, so I gave him a shot, and I am glad I did.

His talent has nothing at all to do with credentials.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Yeah but you have to compete with the other fifty to a hundred TV mounters for the same job.

It really doesn't matter what job you're going after, a post hole digger, or a doctor's or a CEOs, there a lot of competition for them all. Assume at least twenty other people are competing with you for that job.

The last position I hired for, I got 250 applications. I didn't want to mess with that many people, so I sent out a request for a written work sample. Easy, just proofread a letter. Only 70 bothered responding. Still too many for me to interview, so I set up a "Skills Verification Test" in person. I invited all 70 that bothered responding to the first request, but only 31 showed up. So, from 250 down to 31, and all they had to do was respond to my emails and show up on time.

Now, for those 31, some were clearly not qualified for the position, but I did interview 5 and hire 1.

It isn't you versus 250. It is more like you versus about 20 qualified people, and if you take the time to research the position, respond to the emails, and show up when requested, then your chances are VERY GOOD!

It is true that in this digital age, every position posted on the net gets hundreds of applications. I applied for about 200 jobs with the State of Florida before I got the first interview, and then it was only an entry level clerical position making about 30% of what I was used to making. BUT, 3 years later I am in a very enjoyable position, with a lot of authority and responsibility, and I make a lot closer to the salary I was used to making.

Don't let the numbers frustrate you, instead use them to your advantage. Apply for everything, and then when you get any open doors, research the companies, research the positions, and show up informed and ready to blow them away.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Well, my requests for explanation as to the logic of the op's standpoint has been ignored, but I feel compelled to make my point anyway:

The underlying issue with this, all the way around, is specialization. We have gone from a workforce with a diverse set of skills, to a workforce which specializing in only one thing.

This has led to far too many people losing their careers, and having nothing to fall back on, thus leaving them to either spend the time and money to be re-trained, or take a job with no prospects of a future.

The issue here, that the OP is not seeing, is that the problem here starts with the way we train into the workforce.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

:

You are full of it.

Many of our jobs were allowed to be outsourced.

:

www.abovetopsecret.com... is right and you are wrong!

Try being a 58 year old woman and getting a job making even half of what I was making.
edit on 19-5-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

, or take a job with no prospects of a future.

I ask my brother this question all the time. "Would you still go to work if they didn't pay you?"

We work for the paycheck. A very narrow minority of folks get lucky and find work they love, but the vast majority just show up for the paycheck. When I show up at work, if they ask me to scrub toilets or write a sonnet, I don't care as long as the paycheck is what we agreed upon.

Just because someone has an entire career in one field, it doesn't mean they are unemployable or too good to take an under-employed type job while they look for better opportunities. There is a sort of employment inertia. The longer one is unemployed, the harder it is to find work. Just take a job, any job, and then expand your options. General Managers at McDonald's get paid very well in case you didn't know! So, someone has been a stock broker their whole life, so what? Take a job working the drive-thru, network with your bosses, co-workers, and customers, and find something good when it comes along.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Try being a 58 year old woman and getting a job making even half of what I was making.

I accept your challenge. I have hired 58 year olds in the past. If you are serious, and you are somewhat flexible, and you can pass a drug test, then I guarantee we can get you back to work in no time. Feel free to PM me.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Why isn’t this thread in the joke section?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I loved my job, doing financial spread sheets on Excel I would get into the numbers, the charts, the figures and before you know it, it was 6:00PM and everyone was gone.

98% accuracy rating.

I dreamed in numbers.

Then they took and gave my job to some one in Mumbai India for 1/3 of what I made.

And our government allowed it.

Read my location.

PS: Many a night at 8-9 PM a client would call and say she needed a favor, a extra financial report for a deadline that slipped past her and could I whip one up...........dedicated until the day I walked out the door with my box.

Now the bullish boss I worked for was a jerk, would make Tim Burton's Red Queen look like a girl scout.

Heard her job was finally outsourced too.

Company could have saved $110,000 a year (double my salary) if they had gotten rid of her first as she didn't do squat.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I love using Excel. I find a way to incorporate Excel into just about every project I do.
I am just starting to learn Adobe Pro, and it is pretty amazing as well.

I don't know much about online jobs, so I can't help with working from home, but I can say that making $50k per year for someone with experience and good computer skills, and good grammar skills, and a personable attitude is really a no-brainer. It might take 6 months, and it might mean starting in a lower position, and maybe even leapfrogging from job to job a little, but you can surely get back to what you are used to in no time.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Its all about location location location. Where I live I have never been out of work more than a couple of months. But there are many places that just have nothing to offer. Moving to someplace with some real opportunities is sometimes the best course of action.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
A problem that I hear the most is from people in their 40's or 50's claiming that they either got layed off/fired and they can't find another job in "thier" field. Do you see the problem? They want to do what they have been doing instead of just learning something new and having a job.

Just because your old job is irrelevent to society, does not mean you have to become irrelevent to society. Adapt and learn a new skill!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I also do Adobe.

With my last client they had such huge numbers I had to go from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007 because there were not enough cell lines in Excel 2003. (Somthing like only 65,655).

Excel 2007 is even easier and has 1m cell lines.

Adobe is great.

So is MS Word.

But if I were on a island and could only choose one program it would be Excel.

I am also a net surfer, have been since the net went up..............if it's on the net, I can find it.

Use to run financial and claim reports and incorporate them into State Forms so you would have to go to the State Sites and pull off the correct forms and fill them out according to each and every state's directives...........and every state, every single state is different.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Actually, I did retrain twice before.
I just find at my age it was easier to retire and cut all of my expenses.
Now I don't make HUGE money but I pay almost nothing.
I am planning on making a move soon that will allow me to stop paying on anything other than cell phone service.
Then what I make goes to me and it just keeps building.
It can be that way for anyone who decides to live simple.
Simple does not mean boring by any stretch.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1plusXisto7billion
A problem that I hear the most is from people in their 40's or 50's claiming that they either got layed off/fired and they can't find another job in "thier" field. Do you see the problem? They want to do what they have been doing instead of just learning something new and having a job.

Just because your old job is irrelevent to society, does not mean you have to become irrelevent to society. Adapt and learn a new skill!

Exactly.

Folks from that era are used to age discrimination, because companies used to look for career employees. These days companies hope to get 3.5 years out of an employee. 50, even 60 is not a significant age for today's employers. Maybe 65 becomes significant, but most employers are just looking to hire someone that will take minimal training and put in a good 3 years before jumping to something else. No one is working 20 or 30 years for the same employer any more, so age is irrelevant.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1plusXisto7billion

Correct
I have been trying to say this during the entire thread but nobody seems to be listening
Everyone is only ready to knee jerk a "i'm so offended" response

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I agree with this guy...

there are more idiots with no skills begging for jobs then the skilled ones actually wanting to work... In a sense nothing has changed in my trade... Still have the lazy ones... Still have the ones like me making money...

The people sitting on their asses crying about jobs are the unskilled people...

real life truth.....

edit on 19-5-2012 by Obl1vion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by Kryties
Mate, no offense but what a complete load of nonsense. Newsflash: Not everyone lives the same life as you and can so easily take on new education or training without sacrificing essentials like food and rent.

My life was perhaps worse than any example you can give
Then I learned programming and networking
Did alot of contracts which ALLOWED me to pay for essentials like food and rent
Otherwise I would have had to go on welfare
But I refused, never went on welfare and never took unemployement
Then I saved and paid for my own education via a private trade school

And now I work for a large IT Company, currently under contract

And those contracts were done WHILE I already had a another job
Thing about contracts is clients have jobs, that's how they pay for it
So they very much welcome working on weekends and after hours.

Stop making excuses

ModernAcademia, I'm a principal software engineer for a fortune 100 company. Not a lowly IT grunt like yourself. Why didn't you apply for a job doing something respectable like you know, making software rather than simply servicing it? Were you too lazy? Too mentally slow? Maybe you didn't have enough of a go-getter attitude? Perhaps you should stop making poor life decisions. See how easy it is to criticize people who are lower than you?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

But there are many places that just have nothing to offer.

From front door to work was 8 miles.
Made between 48,000 - 50,000+ per year
Worked long long looooooooooooooong hours in order to ensure strict deadlines. Most states have exact deadlines and give no extentions.
Worked under a lot of pressure.
My clients (ended up with about 80 of the biggest accounts, if I named these corporations you would not only know them but have tons of their products in your home and garage).
My client base reps loved me, always got compliments on my dedication, quick thinking, excellent attitude but my boss was a tyrant.

I still nightmare about her if I do not take a 5mg of Valium at night.

Do not drink or do drugs (other than Valium at night).

Will never ever tolerate a tyrannical boss again - my husband says, "For what you went through, you deserve to stay home and make our garden the prettiest in the neighborhood and read and research".

Right now I am helping a local college do some research for a book.

I've met some pretty interesting people and instead of slowing down, my life is still speeding along.

I still do my bills,list the books I have completed reading and even doing a list of strange young deaths (conspiracy) with birth, death, moon phases, occult significant dates, etc.

Find gardening though is actually tranquilizing.

CNA Certified 39 years ago
I have been in nursing (two years didn't graduate but had almost a 4.0 GPA)
Worked a farm, including driving a tractor, taking care of cattle (no killing or hurting them-milking, feeding, cleaning out barns)
Mending fences
Growing crops and flowers
Various office jobs (20+ years) Excel, Adobe Acrobat, MS Word, Gimp 2, Paint Shop Pro, MS Office, Various E-mail systems.
Waitress, hostess & honey butter girl (first real job at 16)

Factory, Making pies, wrapping paper, etc
Worked at a college signing up students for registration
While my three sons were growing up I stayed home and watched 5 other kids. All my preschoolers when they left me could begin to read with phonics (I believe in phonics), print their names and begin to add very simple numbers using a abacus

I also taught the kids how to plan out a healthy menu, how to bake bread, (they would help - we did bread on Thursdays I believe).

Still have three of my "kids" that send me Christmas cards and two have invited us to their weddings and baby showers.................god I'm getting old.

Gosh, I've been a busy little beaver these past 59 years.

My first job was at 10 I started cleaning Aunt M's house for $5.00 and she soon had three of her other friends from work having me clean their houses so at 10 I was bringing in 20.00+ tips (usually another 10 bucks).

At 12 I started babysitting at night and had a lot of people bidding against each other for me because I actually played and entertained the kids and not just leave them watch the TV.

My favorite job was with kids.

Now I garden, watch two throw away dogs play happily in our yard and read and research.
edit on 19-5-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The OP's attitude pretty much gives you the picture of what's wrong with the U.S.

Instead of recognizing that people do actually run into bad stretches and that not everybody may be as lucky as they are, people immediately jump to throwing accusations of laziness and stupidity.

Hence, there will be no employment problem until this person has a problem.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroSumWinner

ModernAcademia, I'm a principal software engineer for a fortune 100 company. Not a lowly IT grunt like yourself. Why didn't you apply for a job doing something respectable like you know, making software rather than simply servicing it? Were you too lazy? Too mentally slow? Maybe you didn't have enough of a go-getter attitude? Perhaps you should stop making poor life decisions. See how easy it is to criticize people who are lower than you?

Why didn't you invent some disruptive technology that changed the face of business instead of selling out and taking a corporate job as a software engineer? Were you too lazy? Too mentally slow? Maybe you didn't have enough go-getter attitude? Perhaps you should reconsider your worth and have the good sense to admit all you are is just another employee. See how easy it is to criticize people who think they are superior?

There are the worlds producers, and there are the rest of the world who sit upon the shoulders of these giants. No one in this thread, including the O.P. is saying you should be one of those giants, but the sensible will never agree to call you a giant just because you sit upon ones shoulder.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join