It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piercings and tattoos at work

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by getreadyalready

Older folks typically have problems where ever they go. Case in point, my grandma cussed out the manager of a local grocery store because they were having a fund raiser for a children's hospital. She was angry that they "bothered" her about a donation. The manager told her, "I'm sorry you feel like that ma'm, perhaps you would enjoy Bloom instead of my Farm Fresh?" There comes a point where old folks need to be recognized as the minority party poopers that they are, and ignored.

Party poopers!
edit on 14-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

I get the impression that you think people should accept you and how you look and what you say no matter what. I also get the impression you have no respect for your elders.
My ex had this same problem, took her getting fired and let go for undisclosed reasons many times before she got it. At one job she told me how an Older lady who had worked for the company for many years called her "missy" and she told me how she proceeded to tell this older employee off for calling her her that instead of asking her name. I told her it was a bad idea, and guess what? 3 days later she was let go.

Why does the younger generation feel that they should just get respect and not have to earn it?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Okay I will bite. I don't have any piercings, (allergic), or tattoos but I know plenty of people who have them and cannot deny them their freedoms to have them. Friends and family have them and they are beautiful and artfully done. I ,however, would not have it done personally, my choice, no disrespect meant to anyone.

Now I am the type that just loves my sweat pants and t shirts to laze about the house and yard.(Comfort is my goal at home). Now would I as a professional in the workplace wear sweats and t's to my job???? I think not.

What we do in our private lives does not necessarily carry over into our professional lives...unless we are the boss and have control over the dress code. The same goes with our behavior. So this is not just limited to tats and piercings.

What we decide to "put up with" so to speak is a consideration to others. It is not a slam against our personal choices in our private lives.

There will always be people who don't understand why someone does something. Rock n roll was a biggie. Swallowing gold fish. Fashion trends, Long hair, I could name so many that came and went. Time will tell when this too shall pass. (times change and so do mindsets)
edit on 15-11-2011 by shebearhus because: clarity

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
There only popluar among rebelling teenagers, emos, gang bangers and homoerotic sailors.

Maybe thats why LMAO.

P.S. You all look like morons following the masses of morons to me. And yet you think your unique by doing so. I bet everyone of you have an i-pod and mac too lol.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kman420

Maybe she's not old enough to have been unique in the early 90s, like yourself, with your weed/seinfeld mashup username. So badass and not mainstream masses at all. Especially in the 90s.

As for the only people they're popular among, say that to Lemmy Kilmister's face!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kman420

Hey! Wait a minute? I'm no sailor? You forgot homoerotic bikers!

Actually, hopefully this doesn't come across as bragging or any kind of authoritative stance, but each of my tattoos serves a very thought out purpose, unique to me, and representative of a time period of my life.

My first one was a blazing sun and the Chinese symbol for fire. After getting full-thickness burns over 25% of my body, and spending some time in the burn unit and physical therapies, my left shoulder was the only place left unscathed. I tattooed it with the emblem and sun. For me it represented balance, sarcasm, and bold assertiveness. It helped me get through the rest of my recovery.

My second one was my wife (now ex)'s name on the inside of my right bicep. Got it for our 10th wedding anniversary. I thought it over, decided even if we got divorced, I had spent 1/3 of my life with her, and it was worth doing. She asked me to move out 2 weeks later.
C'est la vie

My third one was a broken stone tablet on my back with the scripture from Job 16:9. After my divorce, I went through some dark times. I was making my living playing poker, I was drinking and womanizing, and I didn't really want to change, I was enjoying it. My friends and family were worried about me, but I didn't understand why. I ran across the scripture one day, and I imagined it being tossed against my stubborn self and shattering across my back. That is how it got tattooed there.

Luckily, I met a very stubborn and patient woman, and she kind of saved me, and we got married and had a couple of kids. The second kid brought all kinds of new trouble to my life.

My fourth tat was Patrick Star inside my left bicep. He has my new wife's name on his left bicep. During a time when my baby was struggling for life, my wife was depressed, things weren't looking good, she would often say Spongebob was the only thing that made her smile. He is such an optimist. She was laying in the hospital a good amount of time, and I loved to see her occasional smile at the antics of Spongebob. She thought her and I were best friends like Spongebob and Patrick. It was an inside joke. After 5 years of marriage, I got the Patrick tattoo, and she got the Spongebob one inside her "bikini bottom," peaking over the bikini line. Mine also once again provides balance between my ex-wife's name, and my new wife.

Things are pretty good now, but only because of some great friends and family. My best friend is currently battling cancer, and it is up and down, but statistics and his doctors both say his chances are not good. We are still hoping he will beat it. His story. So......

My fifth, sixth, and seventh tattoos will be a picture of my buddy. He has a great pic from his football days. His broad back is flexed and his arms are extended upwards and outwards, and I'm getting that tattooed under the stone tablet on my back. He helped me to support my burdens over the years, and I'm helping him with his. His back will adorn my back where it belongs. In addition, I'm getting a couple of taloned angels supporting the upper corners of the tablet. One for each of my children that also helped me to grow and mature and become a happier man. Between my wife, kids, and best friend, I have grown as a person and learned to love and live right. I never knew I could be this happy. Each of them has a place on my body art.

So, if that says "follower" to you, so be it. If it sounds like some kind of trend or fad, that's your opinion, no harm done. When a biker showed up at the tattoo parlor to get a pink starfish tattooed on his inner bicep, it got quite a reception as well. It was a great time, but when anyone hears the story, the reaction is a whole lot different!

edit on 15-11-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Does anyone else have piercings, or tattoos, or both, that they get a hard time about in the work place? I do, and it makes me wonder why because they are very popular things to have. Why do we as a society allow this to happen? Given the popularity of these things, why is it still a requirement to not have them or cover them up at work? Are work places scared that they might lose out on some money if an employee offends one complete idiot? I feel like working involves emptying my personal "slate" of all personal expression, and becoming more of an object than a person. Does anyone else feel this way at their job?

Bottom line, is that an employer has the right to determine what kind of image he/she is trying to project, and with that, comes objects of personal decoration that can affect said image (just like wardrobe, etc.). While you have a right to self expression, you also must realize that so does the employer (expression of the business' image), and if the two images don't mesh, he/she may not hire you (or request that any visible ones are covered) to protect that image.

Fear not though, they are becoming more and more mainstream, and as society's judgements of piercings and tattoos evolve, so will their acceptance in the workplace, but for now, you have to accept that it may limit your options.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kman420
There only popluar among rebelling teenagers, emos, gang bangers and homoerotic sailors.

Maybe thats why LMAO.

P.S. You all look like morons following the masses of morons to me. And yet you think your unique by doing so. I bet everyone of you have an i-pod and mac too lol.

Just sayin i got mine to pick up emo chicks, they are super sexy.

2nd

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

I think it might be the people where you work, Saying your holes are 'unsightly' is wrong, and rude! Im sure there is nothing wrong with your tats or pierecings,Just your workmates.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
Does anyone else have piercings, or tattoos, or both, that they get a hard time about in the work place? I do, and it makes me wonder why because they are very popular things to have. Why do we as a society allow this to happen? Given the popularity of these things, why is it still a requirement to not have them or cover them up at work? Are work places scared that they might lose out on some money if an employee offends one complete idiot? I feel like working involves emptying my personal "slate" of all personal expression, and becoming more of an object than a person. Does anyone else feel this way at their job?

I personally have no idea and I think it's really stupid..I have a nose ring and a tattoo, and the profession I am choosing to have someday doesn't care if I have a nose ring or a tattoo. Heck most of the younger workers have tattoos. The place I am talking about is the library. So with that in mind I have no issues about them giving me a hard time. If someone required I remove my tattoos or my nose ring I wouldn't work there anyway.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This what happens when you slave in the 'corporate world'. Eventually it will come to end so don't worry.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kman420

They all look like morons to you? You sound like a moron to me.
I bet you don't have an artistic bone in your body. I'm also going to take a wild guess that you are not very intelligent. Someone with intelligence isn't so quick to stereotype.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

........unless you were being sarcastic. Then just forget my last post. I will admit, when it comes to "reading" sarcasm, I'm not that intelligent.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I have a lot if ink myself. No piercings though, I got bored with the nose thing.. so just basic 3 in each ear with small, "pretty" gauges...

I work in a very professional office, and the clients we work with are also, very professional. If your clientele is of a specific stature, and you are trying to appeal to them for business, you are going to want to emulate "their level of professionalism"... My company has nothing against tattoos. In fact. we celebrate them and people love showing them off to each other, and my boss always points out the ones she likes or asks if anyone has any new ones... The fact of the matter is, in a professional environment, they just aren't seen as such. First impressions are physical/visual. I have no problem covering them up if needs be. They are only half sleeves and still a work in progress. My customers have seen them, and have a lot themselves. But there is a line between professional and personal. Its like, not wanting to talk politics in the office. I'd just rather leave it alone.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Quite simply, if you call it art then you have to admit that "art" is subjective. Some people are going to think your "art" sucks. My daughter has a lip ring and I find it disgusting. I have a tattoo and it's on my shoulder where it is covered by a short-sleeved shirt. Truthfully, I did it for ME, not the world, so they don't need to see it.

For you to expect everybody to find your "art" attractive is naive. Not everybody is going to find it attractive and they are in no way obligated to explain why; they just don't.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I am actually a little tired of the new age tribalism thinking it is unique or original...it isn't. This is all been done before even implants!

I have no tattoos never will and in 20 years will be unique and different as it is actually very socially acceptable to have them and soon will be an oddity to not have one. But to each their own...

I also can't wait to see a bunch of 40-50 somethings getting reconstructive surgery to fix what gravity and stretched out body parts has done LOL.

My problem is this how do we decide what is ok to have as body art? Being an artist myself and having designed several tattoos body art is cool but not everything put on skin is art! Some tattoos are crude and socially unacceptable (nudity, violence, etc) so how do determine which are acceptable and which are not so you adopt an all or nothing attitude in a business. And as a business they are free to do this until it becomes so social universal that the un-tattoed person will be ridiculed lol ...trust me some day it will happen.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by stephanies-chase

i was being sarcastic bud (:

well not about emo chicks being hot, that's true facts
edit on 15-11-2011 by doom27 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

Ok then, I am sorry.

BTW, you called me bud. I may not be an emo chick, but a chick nonetheless. I don't think I'd look good with black hair and anger issues.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
FYI: I understand that there can be problems if you need an MRI scan for medical treatment and have a tatoo because some of the inks have metallic particles in them, especially in tatoos over 20 years old. If you do a google search there are a lot of articles regarding this, one even said some hospitals will refuse to give treatment.

On a personal note, I think some of the indigenous tatoos are very nice for cultural reasons.

To be painfully honest, on first impression I probably unconsciously stereotype most people with other tattoos as low-class, rebels without a cause types, and/or short-sighted.

Why would you mark yourself knowing you have to work so hard to overcome your image, unless that was the point....you want/need to be noticed. Or who wants to kiss someone and look over and see their ex's name?? And they're probably really cool when your 19, but what about when you're middle-aged and that cool picture is now sagging down your _____.

I was pissed when of my foster kids borrowed money for car repairs, and spent the leftover $ getting a tattoo. Hey, make your statement, whatever, your body - your choice, I won't comment on your tattoo, but spend your own hard-earned dollar!!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join