It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bake sale's racial pricing rocks UC Berkeley campus

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

It's a cute idea but it likely fell flat on the people that they were trying to make an impression on. The kids probably thought "What a shameless bunch of racist brats" and wandered on through the halls without digging deeper.

It would've been more thought-provoking if they had priced it like this:

Natives - Free

Latinos - Bake your own

Blacks - Oprah's got you covered

Whites - Pay only with parents money

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
native americans could have made a killing, flipping their cookies to the other races.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
When Whites become a minority in this country...according to figures sometime around 2040-2050...will Whites get affirmative action? Will Whites be allowed a White Entertainment Television channel? Will Whites be allowed a NAAWP? Will Whites get free education? Will White hate-crimes be ignored? Will Whites have a White Caucus? I can do this all day.

I wonder.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

What amazes me is the amount of white people who actually hate there own race. The sheep have been brainwashed in school and with TV for so long they think the minorities should get something for nothing.

I say take it all away from life long welfare to affirmative action and watch them self destruct. When you want to feed a man you teach him to fish not catch a fish for him.

And if that man does not want to learn then he starves. I believe this simple approach would really straighten things out in America and also many other places including Africa and Haiti.

Enough is enough they should be able to stand on their own. To do anything else would truly be racist.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

what was wrong with selecting university entrants based on inteligence ?

You then bring into the argument the notion that certain races are, by default, of a certain intelligence.

It's been done before, been argued to death before and the end result is a world gone topsy turvy.

It boils down to, if we treat everyone as stupid, then we're all equal. If we treat everyone equal, people who fail to qualify can use the race card.

I don't think that's what he was saying at all.
I think you are making a rather big, and wrong, assumption.

If I, a white person, are more intelligent then the person next to me, who happens to be black, and I get higher grades then he does, why should I miss out on a place at university?
Or similarly, why should my hard work and persistence at studying, be diminished and a black person who couldn't cut it, be allowed entry?

Race, skin colour, creed, have nothing to do with intelligence. And they should have nothing to do with whether a person gets accepted in to a university or college either.

If a person is smart enough and earns a place, then they should be given that place.
If they are not smart enough and don't earn that place, then they shouldn't receive it. They especially should not receive a place because they are black, latino, or whatever.

Its like saying your white so you don't deserve to go to college even if you study your ass off and earn a place.

Political correctness needs to be put down before it does any more damage to the fabric of western societies and culture.

Let's remember, that what these people are getting, is in no way fair or just to the rest of us, and in most cases these people who are given what amounts to a free ride, are not deserving of being where they are when there are others who actually do the hard work and deserve to be there.

It's gone from equal rights for minorities, to special and preferential treatment for minorities that disadvantages everyone else.

Anyone who thinks that is the right path to be on is a bloody fool.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I love how all the white people in this thread complain about minorities playing the "victim card" when they're doing the exact same thing. C'mon guys I'm white but this is just ridiculous. It's like you guys don't think that racism still exists in america. Let's face it, as a general rule life is harder for minorities.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Originally posted by celticsea
I saw this and thought it was disgusting. Why do white people get charged so much? All of us are not rich. I think this is reverse discrimination. What ever happpened to treating everybody equal?

Because all of your ancestors ate all of the worlds cookies, not leaving any for anyone else, and left you in position to have the most out of whats left.

Now some people consider it fair that some other people get a chance at cookies too.

Wow what a bigot. Most poor people are "white". P.S I am calling you a bigoted liar, as aside from the Spanish and English(who stole everything that wasn't nailed down) all other "white" colonist's built our own communities up from nothing. I can't help it African American's have chosen the route of begging for scraps from Anglo American's tables after the end of the Civil War(when almost every-other racial group in America tried to avoid Anglo American's).

But heck I guess we are thieves because our ancestors planted the wheat used to make the flour for the cookies, built the kitchen and oven that was used to make the cookies, and placed the cookies on the kitchen table that was also self built.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by targeting
. . . Let's face it, as a general rule life is harder for minorities.

Proof?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I think it's a wonderful satire, and I'm sure it made people unhappy. I saw it on the news, and the one girl was talking about how it made fun of the struggles of "people of color". She didn't seem to get that they were doing the exact same thing as college admission officials would be doing with that law.

And as for the struggle, don't even try to tell me that an upper middle class black kid has more struggles than a lower class white kid.

Seems to me she proved the point.

It is not intelligence that gets many into college, but the color of their skin.

And I am not saying any race is smarter. Reread it.

I love these quotes from the source in the OP:

--"The issue is not whether one thinks an action is satirical or inoffensive, the issue is whether community members will be intentionally -- or unintentionally -- hurt or demeaned by that action," Birgeneau wrote, adding, "intelligent debate is based on mutual respect."

. . .

the group's president, Shawn Lewis, said in a statement posted on its website that "physical threats" were made against organizers of the bake sale, including suggestions that cupcakes would be purchased and then hurled back in protest.

"Threatening and political intimidation should not be part of the (campus) community," Lewis said. "What I have seen and heard in response to the Berkeley College Republicans' 'Increase Diversity Bake Sale' has been far from healthy disagreement or challenging of ideas."--

Why am I not surprised.
edit on 9/28/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
i find this hilarious the peoples republic of berkely have been shown what they are

the guise of equality when its anything but equality.

great topic

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Just so people remember or know, affirmative action is supposed to be when you have two equally qualified individuals, you select the minority of the two. Could be selecting men that are equally qualified into a female dominated career, and vice versa. The idea is that over time any imbalances or historical "wrong doings" will be ameliorated, and that might take 100 years or more, but nonetheless you'll start seeing a balance. Anything outside of that definition, isn't really affirmative action. There isn't affirmative action and "super" affirmative action, as some sociologists would say.

It's slow, but it's fair for both sides. A minority individual might not see any direct benefit now if you want to say you need special consideration for why you can't perform (my parents were poor, due to X injustice, and intelligence is correlated with parent income, ect) and want a handicap to make due, but the future will see balance. Isn't balance the goal? It'll get there without the immediacy that some seem to demand.

If people insist on placing importance on the past, they are just as capable at placing it on the future.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Berkeley's come a long way...

...since I was born there 57 years ago!

But the hot issues are still the same!

And I'm convinced now that most of this animosity is just "cooked up" to keep us from paying attention to the things that are really important.

Where did "racism" come from, anyway? What groups, back in the old days (and I mean ancient times) pushed it the hardest? Until we really know, it's just another arbitrary thrown into the game of life to confuse, distract, and revolt us.

Those young Republicans get minus points in my book for making a reactionary stink about this instead of doing something more constructive.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Very fascinating topic. Very interesting points being made.

I agree with the ideals that individuals who have been systematically oppressed against should get discounts, if not have products and purchases covered by those who have perpetuated that oppression. What I mean is that everyone in the lower income status (disproportionally African-americans, Natives, hispanics and other minorities) should have a majority of the cost of living covered by certain wealthy elites and by those who are racist. (how we can identify racists, we can leave for another day
)

Unfortunately, I could feel the slight racist undertones with this republican bake sale. Only the most intelligent will be able to see the hidden racism with this bake sale. I think it was very offensive in the way that it was carried out. If they were really genuine about their concern for inequality, they would of not only organized that bake sale under my provisions. They would highlight how minorities are oppressed by superficial policies that on the surface level appear to be well meaning, but in actuality help at a bare minimum. In the very mocking of liberal values of equality, they reveal their true colours.

If the American education system really wanted to give minorities a chance at an education and eliminate racism, they would stop admitting students on a racial basis. They would rather provide far more college preparation programs for minorities and the underprivileged. I also happen to think they should waive all fee's for college, including tuition and school supplies. This is what we do here in Canada if you are a "status indian", however considering the ugly history of residential schooling it's well deserved.

When I think of that, I think of the other horrific crimes commuted against minorities by certain individuals within the white American settler collective...(i.e.-racists!). So you see, I know there's plenty of good white's who are usually liberal and were not part of the historical atrocities of the Americas. It should be fairly obvious to see who should be footing the bill in regards to the education of minorities and overall people in the lower income status....(Those who have created inequality within American society!...i.e.Overly greedy corporations, racists etc.)

edit on 28-9-2011 by UnitedSpiritualAlliance because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I love this thread. ..

I have so much to say, from the few posts I've skimmed over so far, but so little time.... (trying to stay awake).

I like how students came up with the bake sale idea. You'd think it would open up the minds of most students on campus, but according to the second or third post after the OP, during the news clip, the whole "idea" blew right over that girl's head.

A lot of people are replying with defensive posts. And that's exactly how society and everything within it has shaped our minds (through multiple forms of discrimination (including redlining, in hiring, practices and policies, the "victim", etc.). This is how racism, prejudices and discrimination will never go away.

I saw a few posts stating that there's poor white people as well. That of course is true, BUT if you look at the over all statistics and data (especially from the 2010 census records) , the "White's" and "Non-Hispanics" are shown (and this is for Minnesota, don't know the national) as high on the chart (not listing specifics too late, and can't find it right now) , where as the minority are in and slightly above poverty level. When you combine the whole population, the White population (in MN) have a huge gap in between them and other races considered members of the minority group.

Don't get me wrong... Asian's are very close to where the White's are, (wealthy wise), but still aren't at or above their level.... Could be many factors; such as most Asian families tending to have many people living in the home (which is fact, not a stereotype).

The fact that discrimination has been going on for so long, and has shaped society, and like said above will continue to, so long it's constantly on our televisions, so long it's being practiced in hiring-practices, and loaning processes.

I will most likely be back tomorrow to post some more. Already forgot what was said in the other posts (so sleepy
)
edit on 28-9-2011 by TaintedVisions because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by UnitedSpiritualAlliance

I feel the same, but how would you see it as the sale having a racial undertone? It's putting to light where each "race" is wealth wise as well. There are schools that admit based off of race, which is reverse discrimination. But there are also "schools" (medical schools, "nice" schools like Princeton, Harvard and such) who only accept those who are related to the alumni, which are usually only rich White kids. < -- discrimination

Also, the academic tests nationwide, are all geared toward the White-middle class, never revised.... So the suggestions of being accepted off of "intelligence" would be highly biased.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Scholarships are won based upon ability, as I understand.

The flaw seems to be "who's sponsoring who."

If you expect to put yourself through school, you will not be regarded as "one of us" by your peers. An undesirable, but we'll still take your money!

"And since we don't want you here, it's going to be expensive for you."

None of us are but a dollar sign...Render unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Im done putting up wuth the same repeated racist lies.

Deny ignorance....even when it hurts. And you people sure are ignorant.

See it's funny because I read this thread and you came off as a racist #bag.

Race this, race that, blah blah blah. Let's see, I legitimately do have a fair amount of native blood in me (grandfather was a native from Canada that was adopted), I have Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Hungarian and I even have some ancestors that were Yiddish Jews around Germany. So where's my slice in all this race war stuff Aching? I mean, those white people are slipping, but those jews are being pretty crazy. But the natives are kinda...not on the board even. Which side should I join in on this?

Maybe it doesn't actually matter.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Because all of your ancestors ate all of the worlds cookies, not leaving any for anyone else, and left you in position to have the most out of whats left.

Now some people consider it fair that some other people get a chance at cookies too.

Really? So why are all the black ovens in the inner city, and all the native ovens on reservations?

Why are all the white ovens to make cookies in the really nice parts of town?

Haha, you are hilarious. A few native american congressman and governors? "See here minorities, you have a couple, you have been fairly represented!"

What is the population percentage in this country? whites make up less than half the population....but over 90% of our government is white, and 90% of the wealth is in white hands....

Wow...simply wow. I've been reading ATS for a long time now, just became a member recently, but I have to say, I'm surprised by the ignorance spewed by aching_knuckles on this topic. Bottom to top on these ones:

1) 72.4% is more than half; it is also the percentage of U.S. citizens who are white. 82% of the House is white, 96% of the senate is white. Over-represented by a bit, but nowhere near your exaggeration, but this IS a democracy (sorta) - those people were voted in to office.

2) Regarding your generalization about where blacks, whites, and natives live...well, just a small bit of life experience will teach you how wrong you are there. Doesn't really require an explanation.

3) My white ancestors escaped persecution for being Christians on one side of the family in the late 1800's. The other side voluntarily left Germany and Poland in the early 1900's. I don't see where they were priveliged, or where the $0.00 I untimately inherited gave me a big boost in life.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by celticsea
reply to post by celticsea

My husband and kids are part native american. I can assure you they have never gotton anythig free either.

let me guess, their grandmother was cherokee, right? Everyone Ive ever met (white and black and purple) all calaim that their grandmother was a cherokee. Apparently the cherokee not only numbered in the billions, they were as prolific as rabbits as well.
edit on 27-9-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

Is there somthing wrong with ppl having Cherokee in their family? Number in the billions? Ok ok, I guess you are exaggerating a bit but still. So you've heard ppl claim their grandmother was cherokee....and?? Just wondering..

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Just goes to show how much white people are discriminated against.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join