It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bake sale's racial pricing rocks UC Berkeley campus

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
A college degree does not a smart man make. A college degree now days is no better than a high school diploma was 25 years ago. It's over valued and not really needed. Just because you spent a lot of money and passed tests does not make you any more intelligent that the person who did not go to college. My wife's uncle is a perfect example. He never went beyond the 8th grade. Yet he is self made, and in fact he helped write most of the EPA legislation as it pertains to Superfund sites and hazardous waste. He has two patents and also published a book on chemical tank cleaning and demolition. So that throws out the whole college degree is needed bullsh*t.

Point is, if you want something you will find a way to get it. A community college is no better or worse than Harvard. A degree is a degree. most jobs now don't care what you majored in, just if you have the degree or not.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

When will white people ever stop bringing up this "sins of the father" crybaby argument. You benefitted from your forefathers, but you dont want to pay their bill. If you dont want to pay their bill, that is fine; but then you must try to rebuld bridges that were burned by your ancestors.

whining about affirmative action is not the way to make amends.

No, I have no reason to build any bridges. I will not intentionally hurt anyone of another race or creed, but if you want to communicate with me, the door is open. Don't expect me to take the first step, because I will not under your terms.

Whining about how your ancestors were hurt by mine will not work. I don't expect my German neighbor to make amends because my ancestors were killed in WWII. Don't wait for amends from me.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Originally posted by celticsea
I saw this and thought it was disgusting. Why do white people get charged so much? All of us are not rich. I think this is reverse discrimination. What ever happpened to treating everybody equal?

Because all of your ancestors ate all of the worlds cookies, not leaving any for anyone else, and left you in position to have the most out of whats left.

Now some people consider it fair that some other people get a chance at cookies too.

Apart from an elite minority, we are all out of cookies.

College is great if you're gunning for management and a life time of debt being The Man's best boy. Learn a trade instead.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

Amen!! The higher the education, the higher the debt. Learn a trade and you will succeed. I wish I had stayed in the trades instead of moving to white collar jobs. I had less stress, less debt and enjoyed life a lot more than I do now. No matter how much money you make, you will always live paycheck to paycheck. most millionaires I know are self made, and they were blue collar workers.

Now, you want to know how to make it big time? Start a snack business, manufacturing snacks. Potato chips, crackers, etc. You would not believe the income potential of this. My wife works for one and she says the profits are insane!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
They stole my idea! Back in community college, the college feminist group had a bake sale [
] to which they would sell cupcakes and cookies to men for a certain % more than women. This was to symbolize how women supposedly make less money than men doing the same job.
It was always my idea to do an affirmative action bake sale but I could never get my friends in the Republican club to do it! haha

It's amazing to me that people get so up in arms over this bake sale that is giving a better deal to minorities when the government does this every single day!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

They wont make much money. I do'nt see why whites should pay the most out of everyone. White poverty has gone up significantly, and whites are the most likely to be homeless. seems reverse racist to me.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

No, what I am saying is that if you dont try to fix this now, that is what is going to happen. Not because its right, but because white people abused their power for so long, when the pendulum wings back the other way, it is going to be vicious.

The only way to stop the pendulum from swinging is to eliminate racial discrimination by colorblind policies. Affirmative action serves only to fuel the stereotypes and hate. Separation of race and state is needed.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Okay so then I am wrong in what I had wrote? The US was not founded by white people? You do not have access to the internet? You do not have freedom of speech? Tell me what I said that was wrong please so I know what to study!

Whites held down other races, then says "Look at all the stuff we did while we held you down! Arent we great?"

So whites founded medicine, huh? So whites made the internet, huh? Who makes all the electronic parts so you can get on the internet? I guarantee your computer wasnt made in america. Oh, and all those other cheap goods you talk about came from white people selling out their own countrymen for a profit, and shipping that # in from china.

but lets not think about that, right?

You must hate white people. Here you go. My father's side is part Algonquian and during the Beaver Wars, your people, the Mohawk, attacked us at the north, put a real hurting on our group. So my question is, do you accept blame for what YOUR people did to mine? My white side doesn't have a problem with you, but my algonquian side definately does now and I can't forgive you until you accept blame for what your ancestors did.

If you can't beat them join them. (Come to the white side)
edit on 28-9-2011 by milkmustache because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkmustache

Originally posted by Misoir

Okay so then I am wrong in what I had wrote? The US was not founded by white people? You do not have access to the internet? You do not have freedom of speech? Tell me what I said that was wrong please so I know what to study!

Whites held down other races, then says "Look at all the stuff we did while we held you down! Arent we great?"

So whites founded medicine, huh? So whites made the internet, huh? Who makes all the electronic parts so you can get on the internet? I guarantee your computer wasnt made in america. Oh, and all those other cheap goods you talk about came from white people selling out their own countrymen for a profit, and shipping that # in from china.

but lets not think about that, right?

You must hate white people. Here you go. My father's side is part Algonquian and during the Beaver Wars, your people, the Mohawk, attacked us at the north, put a real hurting on our group. So my question is, do you accept blame for what YOUR people did to mine? My white side doesn't have a problem with you, but my algonquian side definately does now and I can't forgive you until you accept blame for what your ancestors did.

Kudos!

What a nice spin! I suggest "knuckles" contemplates this: to amend this deplorable situation, college admission should be skewed towards Algonquian, at the expense of the Mohawk. How's that for historical justice?

That affirmative thing is pathetic.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
My sister gave up on being a veterinarian because she's white. Even with a 3.5 GPA there's a very real chance you'll be rejected unless your Black/Hispanic/Indian/etc.

At the time there was 2 others that were also going to college to be a vet and they all ended up switching over to either a chemistry or biology degree. There was also a rumor going around that a black female was accepted even though she only had a 2.5 GPA whereas a 3.8 GPA white female who applied at the same time was rejected.

Meh now that i think about it, I don't even remember if I submitted the $125 processing fee with my college application or if they just tacked it onto my bill when i was accepted. Though I'm guessing I must have included it since I doubt they'd even look at it if it didn't include the money.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dogstar23

Haha, you are hilarious. A few native american congressman and governors? "See here minorities, you have a couple, you have been fairly represented!"

What is the population percentage in this country? whites make up less than half the population....but over 90% of our government is white, and 90% of the wealth is in white hands....

Wow...simply wow. I've been reading ATS for a long time now, just became a member recently, but I have to say, I'm surprised by the ignorance spewed by aching_knuckles on this topic. Bottom to top on these ones:

1) 72.4% is more than half; it is also the percentage of U.S. citizens who are white. 82% of the House is white, 96% of the senate is white. Over-represented by a bit, but nowhere near your exaggeration, but this IS a democracy (sorta) - those people were voted in to office.

remember, elections are held in districts and states, not nationwide. states like Oregon and Illinois have sizeable conservative populations but elect two liberal dem senators. if you are a conservative in a mostly liberal state (most of the northeast) your vote is practically wasted and you are essentially unrepresented. (and vice versa; Kansas doesn't elect many liberal senators)
a voting bloc must be concentrated to have any power.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

I saw this and thought it was disgusting. Why do white people get charged so much? All of us are not rich. I think this is reverse discrimination. What ever happpened to treating everybody equal?

Cant really be equal when the majority of minorities pull out the "victim" card at every opportunity. Time for change. Time for people to be "judged" on their ability/intelligence and nothing more.

Since Obama got elected, ti seems the poeple that want to play the race card alot are white.

Arent these Republican students playing the race card by doing this?

How exactly are they playing the race card when clearly they are showing up the idiocy of the establishment by which students are selected. The fact that your race, skin colour and gender can effect your future education is laughable. Its plain wrong. Judge people on ability and intelligence - Fairness will arise.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

All people should be. I am half mohawk, and half white, but I look white. Since no one suspects me of being "dirty blooded" I get to hear alot of things white people say to other white people when they think no one of color is around.

For all their "Im not racist" BS, a LOT of whites absolutely are racists and prejudiced and discriminatory.

I see this one shut everyone up pretty quick. Truth cuts to the quick, no?

Racism is ignorance. Making out all white people are racist is ignorant. I think your just bitter about what past generations of under-educated white males did to your ancestors. Instead of accepting the apology and trying to get on with life you seem to think that you should be repaid.

When exactly will you be paid back??

Btw, white british woman of Irish decent. Ive never owned a slave and never treated someone of another colour differently to how i would treat someone of the same colour. Just abit of background info.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Since Obama got elected, ti seems the poeple that want to play the race card alot are white. Arent these Republican students playing the race card by doing this?

so you're saying white republicans are the ones playing the race card during obama's term? really? well let me educate you sir.

“I am particularly sensitive to the fact that only this president — only this one, only this one — has received the kind of attacks and disagreement and inability to work, only this one,” said Jackson Lee from the House floor. “Read between the lines,” she continued.

www.okieonthelam.com...

Last week, liberal pundits charged Perry with racism, offering no evidence or falsified evidence.

washingtonexaminer.com...

"The interesting question is: What is it about this president that has stripped away the veneer of respect that normally accompanies the Office of the President? Why do Republicans think this president is unpresidential and should dare to request this kind of thing? It strikes me that it could be the economic times, it could be that he won so big in 2008 or it could be, let's face it, the color of his skin.

www.realclearpolitics.com...

we have mainly blacks/liberals playing the race card. why would anyone disagree with how he has handled things as POTUS? it MUST be over his skin color.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by stinger94

To show a point that whites are being discriminated against as well. If you scored very high on your SAT's and held a 3.7-4.0, and were involved in a lot of extracurricular activities you can be wait listed or not accepting because they, (the colleges) are trying to appear to be culturally diverse. Could they have done it in a different way?

If a person has a 4.0, they can get an education. They are whining because THEY MIGHT NOT GET TO GO TO THEIR FIRST SCHOOL OF CHOICE.

Its not like the poor white kid with a 4.0 is not going ot be admitted to any school. Stop being silly.
edit on 27-9-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

But if they worked hard, why shouldnt they get a shot at going to their first choice school? Why should their race/skin colour play against them if they obviously have the brains??

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bowser29
I have been coming to this site for almost a year on a daily basis and I read many post and I truly enjoy this site and I am in no way a radical extreme black power kinda person lol
, I just thought I would give a perspective of what is normal everyday life for me.

So I went to a large university about 40,000 students, about 600 were black males ( a big chunk were football players), and about 800 were black females. Out of the 1400 blacks that went to this university probably 400 got in because they come from a low income community and neither of their parents graduated from college. I dont understand peoples extreme anger, its not like 10,000 got in because of the color of their about .01% got an opportunity. Also I did not get into school because I am black, though many people gave me that vibe naturally.

In my dorm I was the only black student on my floor of about 80 students. Talking to these students almost all of them came from private schools or very good public schools. 1 guy told me that 99% of every student goes to college from his school!

Let me take you through a day in life of a black man, who has white, muslim, indian, gay, lesbian etc friends. I am just a normal American trying to make it. In my town, yearly I get pulled over about 30 times a year, once I got pulled over twice in 1 day. They run my plates ask me were I am going, then I am on my way. In 2011 I still get called 'n-word'. (Though I don't like Obama, it seems like this is more prevalent since he has become president, so Obama has made things worse for me in daily life lol.)

Now that I have a job I see how white privilege is in a effect by default, my coworkers are very good people and I don't feel any discomfort from them. But now that I have worked with them and talked to them almost everyone of them got the jobs they have because they knew someone that knew someone 100s of people apply for the job that I have and basically each time the job already has a person they are going to pick, they just go through the motions of interviewing the public and by default 99% its a white individual who gets the job, not because they are best qualified, but because they basically get the "hook up" "white privilege". I am the only person that actually worked my way up, I worked a seasonal job and ended up being able to get full time job after showing my worth. I have brought this up to some of them and they didnt even realize it, it was just normal life for them.

Because the economy is bad and everyone is hurting, now white America is starting to know what its like to apply here and there and not even have a chance. Now the average American is starting to face police brutality for filming the police or protesting etc. Imagine facing police brutality simply because you are black ? I wish some average white people who are not even racist could turn black for a week.

Obviously, you are just a racist and hate white people

Its funny how not a single person here will reply to your post.

I think its hilarious that I am the one being called racist......I have heard what white people say behind closed doors. You people are laughable.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I think its hilarious that I am the one being called racist......

Unless you disown all your posts in this thread, you'd have to admit you really worked hard to make that determination easy.

I have heard what white people say behind closed doors.

...and therefore white people should be made officially disadvantaged in this country?

You people are laughable.

Laughable is better than repulsive.

edit on 28-9-2011 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I have always thought people should be treated equal. The way the world is now with downsizing and shipping our jobs overseas, I think that we should be treated as all equal. Because we are all in the same boat.

It seems like alot of white people i generally know as prejudiced lately have been talking about "treating people equal" an awful lot, after mistreating the rest of the world for centuries. Funny how they want to forgive and forget, just as they are starting to lose their grip on power.

There is racism and prejudice in every culture, in every country. There are atrocities in every country's history. Let's get over the "poor me, bad white man" merry-go-round already. It serves no one, at this point.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I dont see how his post about adult people and job market justifies government sanctioned racial discrimination of white and asian children in school entrance exams. Even if it was true, two wrongs simply dont make a right.

Just like separation of religion and state, there needs to be complete separation of race and state. University or employer asking about your ethnicity should simply be illegal, just like religion and sexual orientation. Nothing except fully colorblind policies offers any chance of producing truly colorblind society.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join