It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bake sale's racial pricing rocks UC Berkeley campus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Students looking to raise discussion on a controversial bill that would allow colleges to consider race and gender when admitting students, decided to use a bake sale to make their point:

(Reuters) - Student Republicans at the University of California at Berkeley have stirred up the famously left-wing campus with plans for a sale of baked goods priced according to the race and gender of buyers.
:
Organizers say their "Increase Diversity Bake Sale" is meant as satiric political commentary on newly passed legislation that would allow California's public universities to once again consider the race, gender, ethnicity and national origin of admissions applicants.
:
The original Facebook post for the event said pastries sold at the event would be priced at $2 each for white customers, $1.50 for buyers of Asian descent, $1 for Latinos, 75 cents for black customers and 25 cents for Native Americans. All women would get a 25 cent discount.

The post said the pricing structure was designed to "ensure the equitable distribution of BAKED GOODS to our DIVERSE! student body."

Bake Sale

+15 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

what was wrong with selecting university entrants based on inteligence ?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Can't do that anymore. Tests are culturally biased.

We need to celebrate diversity.

+35 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I think it's a wonderful satire, and I'm sure it made people unhappy. I saw it on the news, and the one girl was talking about how it made fun of the struggles of "people of color". She didn't seem to get that they were doing the exact same thing as college admission officials would be doing with that law.

And as for the struggle, don't even try to tell me that an upper middle class black kid has more struggles than a lower class white kid.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
ive been to the ghetto and to upper class areas and know people from each... anybody can be in a struggle but it takes true intelligence to rationalize how to get out of it, or to make light of your situation... anything can be changed... as for ignorant white college girls...not a chance

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

So you are saying racial profiling is an accurate way to measure the intelligence of a person?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

You then bring into the argument the notion that certain races are, by default, of a certain intelligence.

It's been done before, been argued to death before and the end result is a world gone topsy turvy.

It boils down to, if we treat everyone as stupid, then we're all equal. If we treat everyone equal, people who fail to qualify can use the race card.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

So you are saying racial profiling is an accurate way to measure the intelligence of a person?

Ha! you misunderstood his point.

He's not asking "Whats wrong with the topic." He's asking "What is the problem with simply just selection of students based on their intelligence."

Kinda like letting a 99 year old widow become a police officer, because basing the acceptance of a person into Law enforcement on their ability to do the job somehow discriminates against old women.

That would be madness. Unless, of course, the 99 year old widow could actually DO the job without problem.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This is hilarious!
There comes a time when a problem can no longer be reasonably addressed with logic and sound reasoning, that's when you have to resort to baking! What an awesome idea! Proves the point exceptionally.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I saw this and thought it was disgusting. Why do white people get charged so much? All of us are not rich. I think this is reverse discrimination. What ever happpened to treating everybody equal?

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by celticsea
I saw this and thought it was disgusting. Why do white people get charged so much? All of us are not rich. I think this is reverse discrimination. What ever happpened to treating everybody equal?

Cant really be equal when the majority of minorities pull out the "victim" card at every opportunity. Time for change. Time for people to be "judged" on their ability/intelligence and nothing more.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Because all of your ancestors ate all of the worlds cookies, not leaving any for anyone else, and left you in position to have the most out of whats left.

Now some people consider it fair that some other people get a chance at cookies too.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

Cant really be equal when the majority of minorities pull out the "victim" card at every opportunity. Time for change. Time for people to be "judged" on their ability/intelligence and nothing more.

Since Obama got elected, ti seems the poeple that want to play the race card alot are white.

Arent these Republican students playing the race card by doing this?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I have always thought people should be treated equal. The way the world is now with downsizing and shipping our jobs overseas, I think that we should be treated as all equal. Because we are all in the same boat.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I have always thought people should be treated equal. The way the world is now with downsizing and shipping our jobs overseas, I think that we should be treated as all equal. Because we are all in the same boat.

It seems like alot of white people i generally know as prejudiced lately have been talking about "treating people equal" an awful lot, after mistreating the rest of the world for centuries. Funny how they want to forgive and forget, just as they are starting to lose their grip on power.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

i cant believe you said this. Not all white people think this way. We all should be treated equal. Because we are and I believe this is reverse discrimination.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Truth hurts doesn't it?

That's what has all these liberal nutjobs in a tizzy out there.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Is it our fault that we did better than everyone else? Success is not to be frowned upon like you are trying to portray. We won the social Darwinist game (you believe in evolution, right?) and some people are all upset about it.

But even with the above said I have to agree with all other sane people in that we should be treated as our own individual and not held accountable for the actions of others even if we have their blood. Is the accusation "your great-grandfather owned my great-great grandfather as a slave" something which could be upheld in court as a reason for punishment? Did the accused actually participate with his own free will in the ownership of a slave? No.

Besides who are you to say it was white people who should be discriminated against to make up for the flaws of other people in the game of life. My family never owned slaves, hell they were probably the damn slaves, no one came here from Hungary in my bloood until 1914.
edit on 9/27/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by celticsea

Are your knuckles aching from walking on them?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

i cant believe you said this. Not all white people think this way. We all should be treated equal. Because we are and I believe this is reverse discrimination.

All people should be. I am half mohawk, and half white, but I look white. Since no one suspects me of being "dirty blooded" I get to hear alot of things white people say to other white people when they think no one of color is around.

For all their "Im not racist" BS, a LOT of whites absolutely are racists and prejudiced and discriminatory.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join