It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I had posted in the beginning of this. And I would like to clarify. If someone hasnt had a point of reference as some are calling "true north" up to this point then there would be no way to tell if there has been a magnetic shift in the compass. You dont need a true north. All you need a point of reference from where you start. We started using a huge oak tree in the middle of the field , for our hunting trips many years ago. We enter the field at the same spot every year. That oak tree has not moved. On the other hand the magnetic compass no longer lines up with that tree. Again showing about a 15% difference from norm. NE OHIO. This has shifted slowly over the past many years, So as of now the magnetic N has shifted to the W about 15% so the oak tree now shows NE . I'm not disclaiming anyones thoughts. But here is a good theory; in my house one room must have some type of magnetic pull, it goes crazy in there where as the other rooms its doesnt. This can be said for different places on earth too. There can be magnetic disturbances underground that can effect a reading. So people and may have different readings all over the place. But the main point is, if you havent had a reference point over the past few years or months, then well your magnetic reading means nothing. But Again this will effect weather patterns. Many Scientists are predicting a big shift for California weather over the next years. Looks like this past weekend seems to be on track.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bluedog7

There is no reason to believe that the Earth's magnetic field has any, much less a significant, effect on weather. Weather is driven by temperature (and pressure) differences.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Something else to keep an eye on is migratory birds.
They should be returning to there "love nest" soon,
if not already.
It's is theorized that they use the earths magnetic lines to help
in there journey every year.
If they are returning and going somewhere else other then
where the normally roost,maybe some concern there.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Sounds like you have much learning to do.....lol

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gab1159

Source:
www2.nict.go.jp...

Please people, try to think. I see far too much absolute silly stuff on ATS.
edit on 20-3-2011 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

Hmmm, look at the date it was posted. It was normal back then, but seeing no updates have been posted since a week or so is NOT normal for this website. It stopped updating on March 14th.

I wonder why...

Might have something to do with the Earth quake they just had! The site is .jp - JAPAN

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Birds have built in navigational redundancy systems.

Migrants often return to breed in the same locality where they were hatched. This journey may cover thousands of miles over many types of terrain and through extremes of weather. Birds show an amazing ability to orient themselves and home in on their destination. Migrating birds have many potential cues for orientation and navigation between summer and winter habitats. They do not depend on any single navigational cue.

www.tpwd.state.tx.us...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

I LIVE ON THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAI'I and MY MILITARY ISSUE COMPASS READS NORTH IN THE NORTH-EAST. I HAVE CHECKED IN SEVERAL LOCATIONS, EVEN NEXT TO THE COAST LINE AND IT STILL SAYS NORTH-EAST

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Jeez Louise, if you plot and map everyone's "anomalous readings" of their compasses in this thread upon a geographic map what you will end up with at the end of the day is an accurate model of the worlds magnetic deviation. Period. But lets keep it going for another month, that will only add to the accuracy.
edit on 21-3-2011 by Liberterius because: because I felt like it

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BigIsland96749

So what does this mean? It's obvious that the compass's react to magnetic fields and so tell one which direction is true North and South, but WHAT is the Cause and Result of such variations??

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I live in Barnsley in South Yorkshire in the UK - for location purposes

I have a Nokia N8 with Nokia OVI Maps installed which has a built in compass that orientates the map etc, this afternoon it was showing North at the 11 O clock position.

I have just downloaded a compass app from a site and installed it and it showing North now at the following

Compass Display

Hope that helps ?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I was looking at what sort of accuracy is guaranteed by Apple for the iPhone. I haven't found any reliable information on it.

As for my observation, the compass application has been set to True North this whole time. I'm reading from the same position, away from any detectable electric interference. However, this being the city, and the amount of magnetic fields around here, I cannot certify that there is no field affecting the phone.

Yesterday, there have been two incidents when the compass titled strongly towards the West. Otherwise, it was fairly consistent when placed at a measuring position with a reading of 350.

Today, from the same position, I'm getting readings from 330 to 36, a sixty-six degree variation.

I'm going to look for an affordable compass to confirm what the phone is reading. As far as I'm looking at this, the phone app is *way* to unreliable to inform on a situation like this.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Has anyone played with a compass today or yesterday and tried to walk a straight line ?

I have a military compass and a wrist compass, I have been tuning the arrow to magnetic
North, obviously we all know by now that magnetic North isn't true North due to the pole
reversal going on right now but I attempted to walk a straight line guided by my compass,
everytime I tried to walk north in 1 to 2 steps my compass was between 1 - 3 clicks off.

That can be a real fun game if you try to walk the straightest line you can and see with
a large piece of paper the slight curve you are walking in, thats what I did.

It actually is quite interesting, Just put a compass down on the floor with a large piece of
paper or cardboard a good 6 to 8 feet long and try to move the compass from one end
to the other in a perfect North facing line. I couldn't do it but maybe in your area you can.
Then maybe I can figure out which direction this planet will end up in when it is done.

Please let me know the area you are in and if you can make a straight line where you are.
I tried for almost an hour trying to do it and I couldn't.

North East. Curved line.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Nevermind. My bad. Should have read a few pages prior...
edit on 3/21/2011 by VeniVidi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

Fortunately, if you go here they do (under "details")
hisz.rsoe.hu...

And it's not unusual.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by survivor4

Lay off the beer, heh hehh. lol. I have the same "problem"!
edit on 21-3-2011 by Liberterius because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Saintor

In 2010 there were 1,707 accidents and incidents in the US, an average of about 5 a day.

Here's an interesting week:
06/19/2010 10
06/20/2010 5
06/21/2010 9
06/22/2010 1
06/23/2010 7
06/24/2010 5
06/25/2010 10
06/26/2010 10

www3.ntsb.gov...

edit on 3/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Any idea why they do not post the details for airplane incidents?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by VeniVidi

Yes, because you are getting your information from a faulted source, in the US the FAA posts all aircraft incident reports and accidents, and after investigation their causes on the FAA website. But by all means lets start another paranoid schizophrenic thread about the powers that be....

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Where's my iggy button? Seriously where is the ignore button on this thing? ATS can you PLEASE give us an ignore button. I don't go into their threads, disagree with them for the fun of it and call them names. It's like gnats buzzing my ears and my hands are tied behind my back so I have no way to swat them away from me

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

The truth is hard to ignore, I agree. For a lot of people with their own pre-formed opinions things such as Physics and observational fact are quite inconvenient. By all means show us the light instead of disagreeing with those who "feel" or have physically observed measurements that do not correlate with your own.

"Gnats" really. These "Gnats" have contributed and asked the appropriate questions instead of swallowing garbage as "fact".

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by survivor4

Walked from the back of my house to the tree line, roughly 1000 feet. Didn't get much of a wiggle on my readings. Strange, I wonder if other people will try it.

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join