It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you eat meat if animals could talk?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I think farmers and govt would start saying that animals was muslim or something like that. It works to get people to go to war and kill things that can talk.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I sincerly hope you are given a thousand stars for that one simple opening sentence.

Animals plead for their life, look into their eyes.

I lived with cows, sheep and chickens..................they think and feel more than you realize.

edit on 16-11-2010 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The way I see it, good conversational skills never stopped a lion from mauling and then feasting on a a human being. Eating and feeding are the most basic of survival skills and living is the key component to survival, is it not? So in the end, it is about survival of the fittest and those at the bottom of the food-chain are not going to make the grade and will be devoured. Whether they be talking rabbits, talking pigs, or talking humans. And sorry to destroy the "vegan dream", but eating nothing vegetables is not as healthy as many "vegans" would conclude nor are "vegans" as healthy as they would have you believe. They have many health deficiencies associated with eating nothing but ruffage. Humans are genetically predisposed for high protein intakes and this can only be attained by eating meats of various types. So whether the cow or the pig can talk, it is not going to sway me from what I need to survive, because humans are what is gonna further society and the survival of the human race, not massive farms of uneaten cattle and other various animals. And if I had to eat another "talking human" to survive in an extreme circumstance, then all I can say is "bon appetit".

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
as soon as you apply human traits to animals you automatically remove them from your diet !
as we make domesticated pets more human like by giving them names and saying that they act human you wouldnt dream of eating them !

eat them yes , if they talked no , id sign them up for a world tour and get rich from my new talking pet !

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Several archaeologists have claimed that some ruins in the American Southwest contain evidence of cannibalism. Individual cases in other countries have been seen with mentally unstable persons, criminals, and, in unconfirmed rumors, by religious zealots. Cannibalism is also sometimes practiced as a last resort by people suffering from famine. In the US, it is commonly believed that the group of settlers known as the Donner party resorted to cannibalism while snowbound in the mountains for the winter. There are disputed claims that cannibalism was widespread during the famine in Ukraine in the 1930s, during the Siege of Leningrad in World War II, and during the Chinese Civil War and the Great Leap Forward in China. It has been claimed that cannibalism was practiced by Japanese troops as recently as WWII in the Pacific theater.[1] A more recent example is of leaked stories from North Korean refugees of cannibalism practiced during and after a famine that occurred sometime between 1995 and 1997. [1]

www.monstropedia.org...

If in desperate times throughout history we find evidence of humans eating other humans long after it became an unaccepted practice, than yes I would say many people if not the majority would have no problem eating an animal if they were hungry even if it could beg for mercy.

I personally love how they have fake foods on the Star Trek series. Pure health and no flesh and blood.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
The question is rather simple: Would you eat meat if animals could talk? This question is targeted at all the Omnivores and Carnivores on ATS.

So taken by what you wrote I'm assuming that if animals could talk and plead for mercy it would mean they were capable of rational thinking, feelings, emotion and intelligence. If they had that capability would they not also have the capability to hire an attorney? We all know there would be several of jump at the chance to represent a talking cow, pig or chicken and claim equal rights and they would do it for no charge. If that were the case I would have to say no, I wouldn't eat a talking cow.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Well.. animals do talk, just not in a medium we can understand. They have no trouble in communicating with each other.

And yes, i would still eat meat.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

OK got me crying to start my day, remember maxi, i love so deeply you have no idea. just scratch my mean exterior and yes, you find an empathetic heart that hurts so badly for cows and all animals.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
If cows or sheep could demonstrate sentience of similar or higher level than humans then no, I probably would not breed and kill them specifically for food, any more than I do with dolphins, elephants or some breeds of dog. I'd stick to other, non-sentient, animals.

If grass was equally sentient then I would likewise desist from mowing the lawn.

However, as neither case applies, there's no problem.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It depends on what they talked about. If all they talked about was conspiracies, the NWO and rectilinear structures on the Moon and Mars, I would definitely eat them....I would feel that I was doing them a favor by putting them out of their misery.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I do not eat meat

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
What if the sky was green? What if it rained rocks instead of water? What if I walked on all fours?

This is a pointless what if question. Animals can't talk. I eat meat. I will always eat meat. If I have to kill the animal myself I will continue to eat meat.

I get your point, we have all heard it thousands of times, get over it. This is one area I don't see the world changing anytime soon. People will contiue to eat meat. Why, because it is natural.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If a lion could speak do you think it would still try to eat me if I was pleading for my live?

Or would it go against everything it knows and it's digestive evolution to eat only vegetables?

I know I wouldn't be putting my hand in it's mouth.

And do human's kill other humans who are pleading for their live? I think they do.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

No if something like that happens there is no way possible I could eat them. Now I believe animals don't have a conscience but if they start talking and adopt a human like "behavior" I don't think it would be possible for anyone to eat them.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
If animals could talk, they would be intelligent, therefore: they would have probably eaten us long ago, and we would not be able to have this conversation

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I definetly could not eat meat if animals had speech capabilities. your question in fact is bringing me down... because they certainly are gifted by reason and mental processes. we're just slaughtering them to feed ourselves. thats why we think we rule the world as species, thats probably why we in fact rule it.

One day giant motherships will land and we're all gonna be sent right away to slaguther houses and treated as meat for humanivore aliens...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
can't believe, reading from the replys, that most of you would still eat meat if animals could speak simple english words like "help" or "please don't".
this proves that if alien species came to earth and started eating all humans just because they find them "yummy", and if they could understand them, you people writing such replys would have to accept it.
edit on 16-11-2010 by omnis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

There are so many other serious problems we have to deal with in the world. Why do you have to bother yourself and others by bringing up these hypothetical questions by making yourself feel guilty?

Animals do have emotions, isn't that enough?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Would you eat meat if animals could talk?

Assuming that they could... then we must immediately accept that the entire food chain would be different to begin with. I doubt that any of us would have built a diet around an intelligent, speaking species that could converse with us as easily as it could sit next to us at the dinner table.

So from that standpoint, the question is really in a high orbit and damned near impossible to even approach. I suppose that at some point, a steer that could speak fluent English might be safe from my grill but... not so much from the hungry pack of wolves or the free ranging mountain lions.

As much as it is politically incorrect to eat a T-bone, nature has placed certain species in the position as food stock for predators since the T-rex enjoyed his steaks rare and gnawed to the bone.

I'll have mine medium rare, please.

Moo

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
The question is rather simple: Would you eat meat if animals could talk? This question is targeted at all the Omnivores and Carnivores on ATS.

If a cow being taken to slaughter house could scream in agony and plead for its life do you think the slaughter house workers could murder the cow?

Some could and would.

Originally posted by Misoir What if a chicken could cry and beg you to spare its life when they know they are going to be murdered would a farmer kill them?

Some could and would.

What you are proposing is a strictly philosophical (and emotionally based) question with a tangible outcome. This is not logical, and a little silly, but I'll bite. (ah ha ha.)

We have no template for this 'animals can talk' event. If it had always been, we would have found cultural ways to justify eating other speaking, obviously sentient beings; such as: (for example) nature is heirarchal and we are controlling the show. (Frankly, since the sentience of various species and individuals within those species is a question in my mind, that's what I use now.) However, if they (animals) were capable of such a similar thought process to human beings that they could communicate that they understand their own death they would probably give us a run for our money in that heirarchy, and we may use the competition as a justifier. But then again... In such a situation my money would be on the rats, and we would not be where we are now. We'd probably be their slaves that they use for manual labor and our opposable thumbs. In other words... there is no way to tell.

If this were to suddenly occur... Even more so. What caused this? Have they always understood this? Etc... On and on... (Still betting on the rats though...)

Originally posted by MisoirWould you still eat meat fully knowing that these animals can beg and plead for mercy and their life?

Probably... However, please refer to above for 'for' and 'against'. Too many unknowns to say for sure.

Originally posted by MisoirIn my opinion I could not eat that meat knowing that animal was screaming and pleading before its death. I’m sorry but I just couldn’t morally do that.

Well, there are many people that would be with you. No doubt. No judgements from me on that one. By the human definition your stance is more moral. You may change your mind when the fuzzy, whiskered slavers come for you and your children in their human built machines however. (Mwa ha ha ha.)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join