It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween is Not "Hallowed"!!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom of Thought

Cool, another completely misunderstood pagan holiday. There is a possibility, somewhat remote, but plausible; that All Hallows Eve had its beginnings as either the feast of Pamona, a Roman goddess of fruits and seeds, or more likely a festival of the dead, Parentalia--celebrating ancestors now departed. These are a bit tenuous, it's much more likely that it takes its origins from Samhain, a Celtic festival meaning "summers end". It's been known by many names in many places. Samhain, according to the Celts, was a time when the boundaries between our world and the next became thinner, and that it was possible for spirits, both benign and otherwise to cross over to our world. The wearing of masks, and costumes, may have been to ward off the less benign spirits.

Samhain was also a time of stocking up for the coming winter, always a time of want in ancient days. Knowing that this time of privation was coming, is it a wonder that frivolous, even silly, behaviour occured?

All Hallows Eve has, in one shape or another, been celebrated by every culture on Earth. To ascribe one belief to it is to ignore its very real history. Our ancestors, in all likelihood, took it very seriously indeed.

Edit to add: How that wiki page got there, I'm not sure... Probably because I'm an idiot, and pasted it here instead of on my notepad...

edit on 10/9/2010 by seagull because: I'm an idiot? Notepad, not post a reply...

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Sighing here: I grew up in a devotely Catholic household that also included 8 kids and parents who KNEW how to "make" a good time for their children without casting doubt on any sort of "beliefs..." We had fun and fabulous homemade costumes and roamed the neighborhood in packs laughing and snacking until someone's Mom finally told us to GO HOME! Some of my fondest kid-memories are those spent decorating,carving pumpkins,making candy-apples,parties with apple-bobbing and hayrides,and in general gearing up for INNOCENT FUN celebrating the harvest and the season of diminished light that is Autumn!

It's only in more recent years that people "choose" not only to connect "religious" beliefs for their own agendas to the spirit of fun (and yes,being Irish I am familiar with the actual "origins" of the celebration...) but yet again to use this celebration to concoct fear and loathing and to judge those who would indulge.Not saying there are not freakshows out there who prey but that's a given and parents must always be on guard.Heck...PEOPLE need to be on guard but one "night" isn't the culprit...

To say that the "spirit of fun" Halloween is connected to is "evil or is peverse" is sort of sad to me as there are SO many kids who won't ever know the thrill of having an entire bowl of candy dumped into your bag because the homeowner is tired of answering the door and you got lucky!

It is my very favorite day/night to celebrate not to fear.
edit on 9-10-2010 by irishchic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

Originally posted by Freedom of Thought

Ironically your extremely dogmatic perspective, eschews "freedom of thought" !/quote]

"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed." John 8:36

"Now The Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of The Lord is, there is liberty" 2 Corinthians 3:17

Perhaps it is your mind, that you have closed to any semblance of the truth,
that has bound you into dogmatic denial of the origins of
halloween (satanic).

edit on 9-10-2010 by Freedom of Thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

All religious ceremonies are based on occultism, some are just more popular then others

This is a blatantly absurd, fallacious statement.

As many 'cultural' symbols that have been added to

the celebration of Christ's birth,

and His resurrection; they

both still deal with The Holy Spirit,

and the Kingdom of God.

halloween is the 'festival' that society endulges in that has occultic(demonic)
origins. Two different kingdoms.
edit on 9-10-2010 by Freedom of Thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I know this thread is long since dead but I just had to do this... Since Halloween is my favorite holiday......

Happy Halloween/Samhain Weekend!!! Have a happy and safe Halloween/Samhain, and remember this is The Dark Lord's Christmas (this is a joke), don't forget your spell pots and sacrifices for the dark lord I hear he loves Toffee, its his guilty pleasure.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

He is also partial to chocolate pudding, grilled cheese, and warm soda all served together on a mossy log.

Truly a evil combination, and well wishes on this weekend to you too!

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

More children are abducted and killed on this night than any
other night in the year.

Can you document this? I have found no such evidence in my searches.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ScarletNyx

There is probably a pregnant woman out there going hmm that sounds quite delicious.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Many Americans unknowingly and unwittingly send their children
out begging for food at the end of October. These unsuspecting
parents, having bought into the conspiracy of "it's all fun and
games', dress their children in ghoulish costumes and think
nothing of it.
More children are abducted and killed on this night than any
other night in the year.
The word hallowed means to make Holy. The God who created
the heavens and the earth did not put His Blessings on this
celebration of the dark lord.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Freedom of Thought because: (no reason given)

You mean the christian holiday of all hallows eve?

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Hollowin means just that hollow on the inside, illuminated, and check this out catholic. Hollow on the inside, a freaking robot. Who is the cat, is it not hollo-win ? Well I don't have to worry about that I'm ortodox not a cat.
Want the real thing or want some illusion, then continiue to worship pagan gods and such things, where you give in. So you got in the movies hollow are the ori, as in origins. To me god is the creator, the supreme, that is god, the rest are just aliens, who are the bad and the good aliens is the question.

edit on 31-10-2010 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I agree with Xiamara - Someone is a party pooper.

Now, I celebrate Halloween as the beginning of fall. It is suppose to be the time period when the dimension of the living and the dimension of the dead come the closest.

I particularly love the way the Mexican celebrate Dia De Los Muertos/Day of the Dead Oct 31 - Nov 2www.azcentral.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/917b9b6797b6.gif[/atsimg]

It is a time of rememberance of both all our loved ones that have gone on before us and where eventually we all will traverse this same road known as physical death.

I like the tradition of going to your family's grave yard and cleaning the stones, having a picnic, bringing Uncle Joe's favorite Wild Turkey and Aunt Rose's Egg Salad, candles, flowers, music, Scotish bonfires in celebration of both us the living and our eventual death / release of our physical shells.

Day of the Dead, Samhein, Harvest Day and now Halloween, - way before "All Saints Day" was forced down the throats of everyone the Christian Missionaries came across, there has always been a celebration at this time of year.

I am not Christian and do not believe in "the devil". One man's "devil" is another man's "other dimensional being".

My grand daughter today wanted to wear "something black and pretty" and have her face and hands whitened in honor and rememberance of all her relatives that are a part of her genetic pool and have gone on before her.

We went to her paternal grandmother, grandfather and nephew's grave for a bit and wished them well.

And then she went and collected candy and had all the neighbors tell her how pretty she looked. (We opted for chic dead look).

Yes with some of the elite and TPTB this is a time, due to planetary and other influences that you must must must keep an extra eye on your children and beloved pets. There are crazies about.

(Read David Icke).

But mainly this is a day of celebration in remembrance of our loved ones past and the beginning of harvest time.

Lighten up, I enjoy the kids coming to the door, We had a dragon, a mad scientists, some vampires, a couple witches, a boy and girl pirate, a princess, a fairy, a angel, Harry Potter, a ghost, a baby pumpkin (adorable) and numerous other cuties.

Hand out that candy, or if you bake treats put your name and address in the bag so the parents know where the Rice Krispie Treats come from. My neighbors all know me and I reserve the RK Treats for their kids.

It's a time to be nice to kids, let them for one night live a fantasy, a dream of make believe.

Lighten up and raise a glass of wine (or Uncle Joe's Wild Turkey) and utter here is to you my beloved that have gone on and wait for me to join you.

My family is of Celtic Heritage and I personally resent the Christian missionaries that burned, hung, tortured and murdered the many Celts that clung to their Goddess, Mother Earth - all in the name of their "Christian God of Love".

No, I do not believe in the harming of any animal or child.............it is the Christians and "Satanist/upside down Christians" that do this.

So You Trick or Treaters Don't Know The True Meaning Of Halloween?

Over 2, 000 years ago, the Celts celebrated a holiday they called Samhain (pronounced "Sa-wan"). Samhain was the name of the God of Death. Now you would think that a God of Death would be a nasty guy everyday. Well that may be true to the living but not necessarily to the dead. On the last day of October, (when the harvest season had ended and the days were getting shorter and colder) the God Samhain allowed the souls of the dead to visit the homes they once lived in.

Blessed be and peace.

Now this was a scary night for the Celts. On that night they would leave their homes and gather together in a field. Once at the field they would build a huge bonfire, this fire was as big as a torcher errrr tool shed, to scare away all the evil spirits and any ghost, goblins, or any other demons that may be roaming around in the night. I remember those times well. It was fun scaring those Celts silly! Oh how I miss those times. I'd go visit my own home that I once lived in but it is now a McDonald's.

The holiday of Samhian was an ancestor of the halloween of today. Although it was not called halloween at first. When the Romans first conquered the Celts in the first century A.D., they added parts of two of their own festivals: Feralia, a festival held to honour the dead, and Poloma, named after the Roman Goddess of fruit and trees.

Well eventually the Celt religion was replaced by Christianity. Somewhere around 800 A.D. the Christian church declared November 1st as All Saints' Day to honour all the Saints who did not have a special day of their own. On this occasion people made their old customs from Samhian and the Roman festivals part of the All Saints' Day rituals. The Catholic church also made November 2nd All Souls' Day to honour the dead.

Source www.100megspop3.com...

edit on 31-10-2010 by ofhumandescent because: grammer and quoted text

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

The modern ritual of going door to door asking for treats was started by...wait for it...CHRISTIANS!

As with the history of Halloween, there are many different ways the act of trick or treating came about. One is from the 19th century custom called souling. This means Christians would walk from town to town on Halloween night, begging for soul cakes.

bold mine
Source

HA HA HA what a suprise, nice post.
edit on 31-10-2010 by deenuu because: because i can

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Very good post and I agree, one of my most fun holidays. We had so much fun and candy! One halloween I got to wear my beloved mother's roaring twenties outfit, a black fringed number, soooooooooooo cool and it actually belonged to my mother and she had worn it to "speak easy's". That was my 12th halloween. And because she had taught me the charleston, I could actually perform it. What fun that Halloween was.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

I do know from volunteering at the ASPCA that Halloween time is a time you would really want to keep your cats and dogs in doors. Now days there are crazies..................and they are not real Pagans.

They are wayward/upside down Christians.

Real Pagans worship Mother Earth and respect all her creatures, especially animals.

Blessed be and Happy Halloween to everyone.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I think you need to get out more.

This isn't a theocracy, therefore, there are people who will do whatever they please and YOU can't tell them what to do.

Do you want to explain your spiel to a 8 year old? Even they would point out that you're full of it.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think Halloween is the best holiday there is.
Festive, jovial, fun, mysterious and not commercial like Xmas has become and hypocritical like Thanksgiving as being an affront to the Native Americans

It celebrates what we don’t know, unlike Xmas and thanksgiving where people celebrate their ignorance in not understanding what they are even celebrating

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

Haha, you're more than likely right! Dern hormones! I hope you had an awesome Halloween!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara

Really such a close minded approach.. Did you know the bible practices many pagan rituals, Ahem the solstice AKA Christmas.. Easter as fertility... hmmm Guess the atheist knows a bit too much..

edit on 1-10-2010 by Xiamara because: Because...

what kind of atheist has gods? sounds like an oxymoron to me. if you worship lucifer and the old gods/goddesses then your not really an atheist are you?

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Hi, Free,

Great post!

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
reply to post by mnm.carper

Sorry I had to post this... No one disses my favorite holiday This thread keeps making me have to post.. Its the only day I get to act crazy and not look it.
Xiamara Mistress of Darkness

Have you given any thought to where you will spend eternity?

How about that, a False prophet lamenting his eternal damnation.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join