It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California fires Spark Martial Law?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I wish all those the best and pray for you. It seems that help may be on the way according to the news. Troops have responded? Any sign of this? I also see that some looting has begun. Keep an eye out for your safety.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Hundreds of troops slated to join forces in the next few hours. Why did it take so long for the response?
Again another confusing situation where FEMA takes more time preparing their plan as the catastrophe hits?
Now lets watch the news begin to put the spin on this situation and down play the relevance of the emergency and the lack of Governmental response in a timely manner.
AGAIN it is the FIRE FIGHTERS and the emergency personnel that are the first responders.
Time to take a good hard look at what we need to do to ensure that our local first responders are well prepared. This is a perfect example once again of the level of preparedness and just who you can count on for help in a disaster. People are screaming for water and diapers , your basic necessities. People need to be as self sufficent as possible especially if you are responsible for the very young, elderly and inferm.

I agree completely. Its almost AS IF we live in a country where government is small! But its not! Government is huge in America (which it shouldn't be imo) so why the delay in disasters like this? Why do volunteers have to come up to the plate to provide food and water to the people sheltered in the stadium again, just as Katrina, its as if the government wants no part to do with this. But believe me, they will be more than willing to put (i'm sorry if you are displaced) you're family in a FEMA trailer park.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I was in that area in 1994 and saw the area that burned in Malibu in 1993, Guess what its the same area that burned this time (Hello). Every year this happens in California and they never have the resources to fight the fires good enough so what gives? Don't get me wrong, Its very nice out there in most places especially lake Arrowhead and Big Bear. Wonder what happens if we have a major quake at the same time? California should have an army to fight fires that can protect areas better if they are going to let people live in a furnace.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Just as a response to the OP's topic...my 19 yr old daughter lives in SD(affected by the Harris Fire), and while the National Guard is in place, no evidence of Martial Law rearing it's head...she did have a Guardsman remind her to wear her dust mask when she ventured out to see what was up, tho...also heard additional air support was supposed to be given at 2:30 pm PST. She is just to the NW of Rte 54. DD says the fire up San Miguel mtn. split in two, and the new split is what they cannot control at this time. just heard from her ten mins ago, she's scared, but not unreasonably so. Four more Red Cross Shelters have opened, and the community of solana beach is alowing residents to return, altho certain portions of Camp Pendleton are evacuating.
For what it's worht, I hope this helps someone, I know I am gratetful for DD's text messgaes to me every hour...
Wow... this was my first post.. !

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I grew-up in the Angeles Foothills near Pasadena. Actually, at the end of a long windy road...about as high above the city as you can get. Seasonal fires were a common event. It got to where we left the sprinkler mounted on the shake roof year round...kinda like our Christmas lights

I remember many manditory evaquations: "We're from the government, and we're here to help you". lol! My father always rushed home from work, sometimes having to skirt roadblocks on foot in order to get in and battle the flames with a garden hose. Typically, the folks that lost homes...weren't there to protect them. We never lost ours...yet. After the summer fires...come the floods..more homes damaged. It's a pattern that most Ca foothill residents learn to adapt to...or they move-on.

My 84yr old mother, and my eldest sister still live in that house. Currently, there are no fires in that immediate area, but it's a tinder-box. I just called & spoke with sis...after 3 minutes of casual conversation, I had to be the one to broach the fire topic. After 57yrs of dealing with earthquakes, fires & floods in that location...they don't panic...they know what to do if need be, and they realize that dwellings can be replaced. Sis says it was over ninety degrees today. The combination of heat & Santa Ana winds are every fire marshal's nightmare.

Stuff can be replaced...lives can't be. My sympathies go out

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Ii hate to be the prophet of doom, but i did see or hear there would be a great fire in California and then....A horrific earthquake on top of all this.

I'm certainly not wishing this, i have friends i love in California

God bless them all.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by airtrax007

Not trying to be rude but where exactly is a safe place on Earth to live?
Seeing as how anyplace is prone to flood with enough rain except for a few very high altitude places, still flooding is possible in most all places. Fires can break out anywhere there is fuel rather natural or not and spread, so this is difficult to find an area also. Any place along the cost is likely to be hit with a hurricane or tsunami at some point. The tornados happen in a lot of places also. Another thing to think of with fault lines all over the Earth finding a place that cannot feel the effects of a powerful earthquake is possible but then you have other dangers. And finally let’s add in volcanoes as the last dangers that I can think of at the moment, there are plenty of those around too.
What I’m saying is that if there is some place safe on earth where you do not have to worry about natural disaster how are we going to fit everyone there? Besides if we do not spread out some and have people living in dangerous places, then we will become overcrowded and become more dangerous to each other than we already are.
Insurance is not high because of where people live for the most part is due to the bureaucrats seeking to drain the public of every last penny they make. Insurance is also due to the stupidity of people in general and the stupid things they do. Only a little bit of cost of insurance is due to where people live.

Raist

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I completely agree...every place has its own risks, though they may not be Santa Ana winds fanning huge walls of fire, but risks nonetheless. However, I am torn on how tax-payer money should be spent on people that knowingly ignore high-risk situations, but perhaps that's another thread.

As for the OP's original topic: well, I suppose the communities that have been restricted so as to prevent looting or whatever are technically under martial law, these fires in SoCal are not going to lead to martial law in the ATS sense of the phrase. I mean, don't you think Washington would need, say, a more *national* incident to provoke those kind of responses? or are we that gullible...?

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I know what you mean about being low balled, deny, deny, deny; and refusing to underwrite if there is a claim.

This year on Long Island we have had to take 3 of the top 5 home insurers to court because they were dropping home insurance policies if we did not also insure our automobiles with them. Now that made no sense at all. The court spent a whole 4 hours deciding it was illegal.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My thread about the entire fire as a whole (without conspiracy just as a disaster)

Various aspects of the armed forces have been called in, but unless you consider serving breakfast to people sheltering in the arena, I don't think I see any resemblance of Martial Law. In fact, as far as caring for the people California has done a pretty good job, and as far as fighting the fire the National and State governments have done the best job possible, bringing in guard units to assist fire fighters and the feds giving some of the most advanced fire fighting equipment to CA. such as C-130's equipped to dump water. With such strong winds, its doing almost nothing though.

No Martial Law here.

EDit:

Also, Antar, understanding your anger towards the Federal government and agencies like FEMA ..

The State must exhaust its own resources in situations like this before calling on the Feds to come in and spend the money to assist. The fires start out small, CA deals with it, after 3 days and its location it got attention.

The Feds do not fight the fires, the state must. Unless it is declared a National State of Emergency. Then all funding for the disaster is picked up by Washington.

The Fed is not the States mother, and should never expect the Fed to arrive first, and sometimes not even second as sometimes states assist other states before the Fed does. Want that to change? Prepare for higher taxes.

The situation has been dealt very well by Washington in this case, they spared no time when CA asked for something, C-130's, Helicopters and FEMA with tons (literally) of equipment such as food, water, cots, ect as well as Marines, which the state has no control of, and the Navy granting bases and ships (an aegis cruiser that was near by and several other large ships boarded Navy personnel to make the base ready for evacuees) .. I fail to see what your problem with the handling is coming from.

Its not like if there is a disaster the Fed shows up and *waves magic wand* its all better.

[edit on 10/23/2007 by Rockpuck]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
DocMoreau's quote,

Many of the members in that thread have opinions with some links to back them up, that the fires may be arson, possibly of a 'tactical' nature.

I'm probably going WAY Out here, but there's something troubling me. Remember the Huge Big Rig pile-up in the tunnel in California recently?
Some were wondering why the explosion was so massive, because there weren't any tanker fuel trucks involved. Strangely there were 8 or 9 drivers missing. If that would have happened in New York it would have shut down the whole city. Now California has these horrible fires all over the place.

[edit on 10/23/2007 by MountainStar]

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I'd like to know the cause of the fire, not the actual current fire result. I know it's a sad and unforgettable event that will effect the economy, country, and world in countless ways. Martial Law could be placed in Southern California, especially with 500,000 evacuees and several homeless. The depression and anxiety may be too much for some causing a revolt, attack, riot, who knows....

On the flip side, hopefully it can b ring everyone together and we can build a better and brighter California.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Arnold will end up on the super-hero list for handling the disastor so efficiently (or so it appears now), which might very well prompt a national cry to amend the constitution to clear tthe path for Arnold for prez campaign. Bleh.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
*sigh*
To the OP...
Please learn what martial law is

Anyway, my thoughts are with all those being affected by this event. Stay safe!

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
As such, you people should have compassion for those affected by this latest disaster and pray that you are not next. And if you are, you should pray that society comes to your aid with more compassion than you have shown.

Where in said post did said poster NOT show compassion for those going through this right now? He/She merely made the quite poignant point that if you're going to live in an area that's prone to certain types of disasters, that maybe, just maybe one should consider preparing for them in advance of them hitting. Hence the forethought comment.

For example, if I chose to move to SoCal, and wanted to build a house there, I'd make good and sure to have it built out of materials that are fire retardant, or fire proof. Build out of rock, and have a slate roof, and all that would be left to do would be to water the lawn and the roof to keep it cool during the fire. Again, a little forethought. To blindly go into any situation without thinking about what might happen leads directly to this kind of problem.

However, don't let these sentiments cloud the very real sympathy that I feel for these people. It sucks to lose everything that you've acquired, as I've been through a fire myself. At least they have enough money, generally speaking, to afford to get rebuilt and resettled in, unlike those in New Orleans.

They are definitely in my thoughts and prayers, as anyone in distress is. But I must also keep a healthy dose of realism with me wherever I go, and the only thing I can say here is that they did know better. They could have planned for it, but didn't. And this is what they got.

Best Regards,
TheBorg

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I highly doubt that this will spark Marshial Law, earlier this year, there was a Fire that Burned for 3 MONTHS. So, saying this will spark Marshial law, is not fair, could it, yes it could, anything could to tell you the truth.

Yes, this is bad, and it may get worse, but it has a long way to go until marshial law.

The People of southern California are in my thoughts.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
One other thing my sister in CA mentioned today during our phone conversation...the general consensus is that authorities have mobilized efficiently against this crisis. Regardless, there will always be break-downs, gaps & residual controversies.

One oddity. Apparently civilian refugees are trickling onto the Camp Pendleton Marine base to be sheltered...while simultaneously: "families living in military housing areas are being told to pack their belongings and be prepared to leave in the event of a mandatory evacuation."

Fire Map. Currently 15 blazes.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

You failed to mention the Yellowstone Super Caldera.

If, and when, that blows, there won't be a safe place on this entire continent.

Originally posted by dgtempe
Ii hate to be the prophet of doom, but i did see or hear there would be a great fire in California and then....A horrific earthquake on top of all this.

I'm certainly not wishing this, i have friends i love in California

God bless them all.

Thanks a lot! I live in SoCal, and so far the fires haven't struck my area.

Now I've got something else to worry about.

If we get walloped now with the "Big One," with more than a million already displaced, you can bet there's going to be martial law.

With L.A. and the Inland Empire in ruins, the gangs will be unfettered, and the chaos and horror of the fires will in retrospect, look like a spring day at Disneyland.

(I knew I shouldn't have jumped into this thread before going to bed...
)

On the bright side, the outpouring of assistance by the members of the communities at large has been a wonderful thing to behold.

Perhaps there's hope for mankind after all....

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Yesterday on Fox News they said that there were signs some of these were set deliberately.

Think about it as a diversion. Scary!

[edit on 24-10-2007 by stompk]

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
most fires are set deliberately, unfortunately. Additionally, If I was a "terrorist" this would kinda be a pay day for me. Think about it, you have one cell in L.A. say 4-5 people. If each took a couple gallons of gas, some matches, and heck maybe a couple of aerosol cans, they could do sever damage to property and infrstructure. Not to say that that is what happened. Just stating that its possible.

As far as the government response. I think its more Californias responsibilty to prepare for this, then the u.s. government. People talk about Civilization caring for you, and insurance. Realistically both are a new concept, less then 40 years old. I'm a true believer that God helps those that help themselves. If these people had spaced there houses apart as well as fireproofed there yard, then the properties wouldn't have been destroyed. Additionally, they have insurance, and if not, then there ignorant. Anyway, I think they have done a good job with the response, I just wish I wasn't paying for it(FEMA). I think the californians should. call it (CEMA).

Cheers,

Camain

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join