It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California fires Spark Martial Law?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I have had a migraine headache for 2 days and finally got it together to come on the forum to find out what our members are saying about the Major Crisis on the California coast. NOthing on the front page about it! I am shocked and amazed that we are not hot on this story which is the single most devestating event of my life time! My question is this, are we headed to martial law? I think it is very very possible. I have been in tears and am now glued to my phone for family members in the line of the fires and wait patiently for the final blow from the Government to take the initave and declare Martial Law. In closing my heart goes out broken to all of the people affected by this catastrophy of monumental proportions.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I am giving this a *bump* because this is the single most significant piece of news on the main page. 24 views and not one intelligent comment to this perfect fire storm. Lets talk about this, no matter where you are located in the world, what is this doing to the economy? To the stock market? To goods and services? Taxes?

Do you have the heart felt feeling to help in some way? CNN has been putting a help line on their website where you can go to contribute.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
300,ooo people displaced. That number is sure to rise. People are terrified. A whole new existence for all of the people in the California.

Mandatory evacuation, will they have enough firefighters to handle this problem? No they just don't have the man power or the resources.

3 Fires in s. Calif. the big fear is for them to join as one raging fire. The big attempt is to keep the individual fires from becoming one. Merging. This catastrophic fire is The magic mnt fire, the buck wheat fire and the Sandiego fires.
States of emergency in 7 Calif. counties. Over 1000 homes destroyed in SanDiego alone, 1 dead and dozens injured. Incredible wind gusts fan the fires. The EPA graphics say from the smoke and dust are at brown level unhealthy levels. Telling people to run air conditioners and stay indoors, not to dust or vacuum. Ashes covering cars , people walking around with gas masks.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I really care for you folks , but i think it is time for those who live in places that are deemed unfit because of disasters like this, should pull themselves up by their boot straps and relocate to another area that is not prone to WILD FIRES--EARTHQUAKES-FLOODING.

Although the area is very beautiful ,you should relocate to an area that is safe for your family and yourself.

This is the main reason insurance is so high--people trying to rebuild in unsafe area's .

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Hundreds of troops slated to join forces in the next few hours. Why did it take so long for the response?
Again another confusing situation where FEMA takes more time preparing their plan as the catastrophe hits?
Now lets watch the news begin to put the spin on this situation and down play the relevance of the emergency and the lack of Governmental response in a timely manner.
AGAIN it is the FIRE FIGHTERS and the emergency personnel that are the first responders.
Time to take a good hard look at what we need to do to ensure that our local first responders are well prepared. This is a perfect example once again of the level of preparedness and just who you can count on for help in a disaster. People are screaming for water and diapers , your basic necessities. People need to be as self sufficent as possible especially if you are responsible for the very young, elderly and inferm.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar, My thoughts and prayers are with those who are affected by this tragedy. However, I will exhibit limited sympathy for people who choose to live in unfit environs. CA has been ravaged by wildfires for centuries (probably thousands of years) but yet people flock there, build multi-million dollar homes spitting distance from each other and then become anguished when an act of nature that has been occuring for millenia wipes them out. The same applies to East Coasters who like to live in the direct paths of hurricanes. Or the people that live in the middle of the freaking desert who will begin complaining about water shortages. Frankly, I'm tired of paying for people's lack of forethought.

Mother nature is going to win each and every battle against mankind... PERIOD! As soon as people start to wisen up and understand that, then people might start selecting places that are more fit for living.

Edited: to respond to your latest post... You are playing the vicitm on this. It is nobody's responsibility to provide for you in your time of need. If I build a house in a swamp and it sinks, I should not reasonably expect someone to give me food, water, clothing etc... You're right, "We all need to be self-sufficient" but when we make stupid choices like building in a wildfire, earthquake, drought prone area we should also be prepared to pay the consequences of that decision.

Again, my thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims displaced by this tragedy. Hopefully all have leanred from their lack of planning and poor judgement and will reconsider living in a much more habitable area in the future. This isn't the first wildfire to sweep through the state and history tells us it's not likely to be the last.

[edit on 23-10-2007 by kozmo]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I can understand what you say, but growing up in Huntington Beach cal. and having lived all over california from north to south, yes fires were a natural occurance, but I promise you they were NEVER this level or in these areas. Also when the fires used to start they would not meet with so many newly built homes and so were much eaiser to manage. I never saw anything of this magnitude growing up there. The only places that had natural burn offs years ago would be like at Angeles crest forrest. And it was always contained before major damage was sustained like this.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Yes I've lived in So California for 54 years,this has to be most devistation of fire I've ever seen,but I don't see martial law taking effect nor rioting like in NO,we Californians take things in stride,I'm surrounded by 5 fires so I've been lucky

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Really? HEre's the history.

15 wildfires that killed 22 people, destroyed 3,640 homes and blackened 750,000 acres of Southern California during a two-week period.

wildfires in CA

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Oldtimer2

Old timer I have been enjoying your responses to threads lately and Like what I read from you, Good grief, I am so sorry it brings tears to my eyes for what is happening . Know this my prayers and thoughts are so with you, I am going back to the tv to turn it back on after the mission discovery launch for the updates on the fire storms.

I am with you, get some footage if you can or at least take some pictures. Be sure you have plently of supplies and are ready to leave, got all of your important papers? Be sure and have documentaion of homeownership or other important papers.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It disgusts me to see people posting such tripe as:

However, I will exhibit limited sympathy for people who choose to live in unfit environs.

You're right, "We all need to be self-sufficient" but when we make stupid choices like building in a wildfire, earthquake, drought prone area we should also be prepared to pay the consequences of that decision.

i think it is time for those who live in places that are deemed unfit because of disasters like this, should pull themselves up by their boot straps and relocate to another area that is not prone to WILD FIRES--EARTHQUAKES-FLOODING.

Although the area is very beautiful ,you should relocate to an area that is safe for your family and yourself.

The very reason people opt to live in "civilization" is for the measure of security it implies. Insurance is a mechanism of civilization and society. It is, in essence gambling and a way of dispersing the risk among policy holders. Get over it, you all partake.

If you were to look at a map of the U.S. and indicate all of the natural disasters, there would be practically no where safe to live. We are all at the mercy of the elements. In fact, it has been postulated that we are no more than 3 days to a week away from chaos and anarchy if a disaster hits at the right time in the right place. Katrina is evidence of this.

As such, you people should have compassion for those affected by this latest disaster and pray that you are not next. And if you are, you should pray that society comes to your aid with more compassion than you have shown.

Yes, ultimately we should all be responsible for our own lives and safety. But unless you live off the grid in some cave or cabin somewhere, it is reasonable for tax paying citizens and the premium paying insured of a so-called "civilized" nation to live where they are free to live, to live where it is developed and to expect a modicum of help when necessary. If you want to argue over-development, that is another thread.

The next disaster area could be in your own hometown so I would suggest you should not be so sanctimonious.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Old Timer I urge you to please contact 1-800- REDCROSS and register with them to let your family members know that you are safe in the event you will need to evacuate. Of course it is entirely up to you, but if you were my family, I would appreciate it if and when you evacuate. Best to you, and please keep us a breast of your situation, our hearts and prayers and protective light are with you.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Quick question, for those that live in the California area, is DISNEYLAND still open ?

[edit on 23-10-2007 by menguard]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by menguard

Good question Menguard, also I was hoping to find out about the San Diego wild animal park as well as Sea world and the San Diego Zoo??(Takes deep breath) I worry...

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
FEMA breifing
LOcal event
Good communication
Dynamic fire and compounded by the winds. Hard for people to undertand the intensity of the situation.
Good cooridination
Seperation of families register with families through 1800-REDCROSS 24 hrs. aday.
19 shelters open plus the stadium.
Emergency declaration recieved at 3am this mornig
Full range of protective measures
Major decloration has not been asked for yet
Commodities for shelters (cots, food , blankets, water) in route now from Moffit field to March AFB outside burn area
Happy with FEMA response and aggresively linking up in timely maner.
All Fedral agencies working around the table to respond not to react.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

The entire east and gulf coast of the U.S. is considered a hurricane zone. This country is also peppered with earthquake zones and tornados have been known to hit almost any area in the U.S. Wildfires are not uncommon in CA, NV, FL, WY, and MT. In fact, I doubt that there is any area of the U.S, that is completely free of natural disater.

The fact is, there are many people spread across this country and anyone one of them could be in harm's way at any given time. The only thing one can do is to be prepared for whatever natural disaster that may take place in the region where you live.

My heart and prayers go out to those suffering in CA at this time. May God keep you safe.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Sorry, double post.

[edit on 10/23/2007 by darkelf]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
My heart is just breaking for the Survivors of this tragic devastation.

I just heard that you can go to sandiego.gov to see the pictures and lists of the various homes that have been destroyed so far. This list will continue to be updated. They are offering this because they know that the evacuees just want to know if their home is still standing. It is a very stressful event for the families waiting to find out if their homes still stand. Blessings.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I also feel extremely sorry for these people and hope they all get out and things are controlled soon.

Does anyone know if its the heat and lack of rain, or is this something of a conspiracy?
It looks like the end of the world there

As far as Martial Law, California is a very big place and i dont see where this would make sense except locally? Will JR become dictator because of fire?
I dont think this one will do it as bad as it is.

Again whether California's beauty was meant to be free of people or not doesnt matter, what matters is that they are all saved.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
It is the Santa Ana winds that have kicked up and made it next to impossible for the firefighters to contain the fires DgTempe.

8 billion dollar a year tourist industry for SanDiego

Here is a partial list of some of the most popular sites and their closings:

Wild Animal park (attempts are being made to evacuate the animals that are on the endangered list, does this mean 'only' the endangered?)

Sea World

Museum of Contemporary Art

LegoLand

OLd Town Trolley Tours

I have to say that of all the news coverage CNN seems to be giving the fastest pace of all. I have jumped around a little but keep coming back as they have less talk and more coverage. Arnold will be coming on a a few to give a briefing...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join