It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California fires Spark Martial Law?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Unfortunately a second person has been confirmed dead from complications of burns due to the fires. The second person was from the Santa Clarita area north of Los Angeles.

Unidentified civilian.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
For anyone with family or friends in the Bigbear Lake arrowhead Crestline areas , there is a website where they can find out about family members and also see police transcripts of the people in the area. I will check out the site after the briefing with Arnold...

rimoftheworld.net

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Here is a link to another thread discussing these fires, perhaps the OP here missed it, because it focuses on Malibu in the title. It has been active since yesterday... Lots of good info.

Malibu wildfires man-made?

Many of the members in that thread have opinions with some links to back them up, that the fires may be arson, possibly of a 'tactical' nature. Some speculate that perhaps the event is 'terrorist' in nature. I am not suggesting that myself, but looking at the google fire maps that they have there, one could see where they are coming from.

Perhaps there needs to be some 'centralization' of threads somehow...

DocMoreau

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I live near the fires in SoCal. I see no signs of Martial Law. As others have stated this is a common thing for California. We have wildfires damn near every year. We have earthquakes, ocean pounding the coastal areas on occasion, etc.

This is fairly "normal" for us I must say. I'm not losing any sleep over it...Hell, I sleep through earthquakes...

I do however feel for those directly affected by the fires.

[edit on 23-10-2007 by CaliGuy]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
500,000 people evacuated in San Diego County according to CNN.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The Arnold briefing : Interesting how he said that only one person had died from the fires and I noticed some of the numbers he was giving have been updated???

18 firefighters hospitalized severe burns
16 fires burning
over 6000 firefighters
68000 homes threatened
1 death
Perfect storm for fires being sparked by wind and hot weather
Best trained and equipped fire fighters
Local and state and federal working well together
State of emergency
moneys coming through
Response and coordination has been excellent
evac in S.D. and 15 tho. in Arrowhead all went well
Making sure evacuees are being treated well and needs being met
1800 elderly needed special treatment from Del Mar rest home
Sad and heart broken for the people who have lost the homes they have worked hard to own and will help people get back into homes as soon as possible
He flew over the intense fires and saw the level of danger
He is here to pay full attention and will stay with them through the fires and beyond and will make sure that the people receive all the help they can get.
Sorry bad notes, but in case you dont have tv. better than nothing.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Here are some updates
500,000 people currently evacuated from their homes
Over 16 fires raging

Also some important numbers for fire updates and tips

City of Malibu Hotline 310-456-9982

Los Angeles county lacounty.info

L.A. Residents Dial 211

Non residents 1-800- 980-4990 also if you have a lap top you can watch live coverage from cnn.com/video

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by airtrax007

Replying to your post, so far only 1 of the first 10 fires have NOT been deemed an act of arson. Which means that either a combination of stupid people got fire crazy, or the fires possibly were purposely started for some reason. If anyone from california can respond to this, let me know some of your opinions.

[edit on 23-10-2007 by Illuminated88]

[edit on 23-10-2007 by Illuminated88]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
what i don't understand is why do people need free diapers, food, water etc? please educate me on this topic. why can't people use the money in their bank acct to buy the stuff they need? wouldn't they have to do it if there were no fire? what is the difference?

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Illuminated88

Thanks for your clarification, also I just wanted to point out something interesting I just heard. There was a Pharmasist on a minute ago, she sounded very nervous but was determined to stay as long as she could to help all of her customers that needed meds. (Touching and loyal)and it all made sense to her when one of her clients came in and had been in their home and not even aware of the fires. There are people trapped in their homes I am certain as there are always in these types of emergencies. So many people are just now begining to attempt to communicate with their families.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Hello again Kosmic, but sorry to disagree with you on this.

People do have to stop living on, in, near or around places where natural disaster occur frequently, not occassionaly, not rarely, BUT frequently. Don't we go through this every year, at one lever or another? I live on Long Island and can;t picture living any wher else, but if I felt threatened I would move in a herat beat. I do not live near the shore, on the shore or next to the shore. I live smack dab in the middle of the Island from North to South. At this far inland, I also do not fear flooding form those MASSIVE HURRICANES we are warned about every year (due to supposed global warming).

What gets my feathers all ruffled up, is these people will take their insurance checks and rebuild in the same place. OK, fine we bail them out once, but shoud we really be held to doing it again and again? When peoples homes gete washed out here on Long Island along Dune Road, people barely bat an eye. The usual mantra goes something like, "they are rich anyway, they have insurance and they are idiots for rebuilding for the umpteenth time.

How many tiems does the Mississppi river have to crest, flood homes and repeat the next year, or 2 years later? When will the madness stop? If its not fires its collapsing mountains. I was on the phone with a friend lst night, displaced to about 40 miles north of SD. He told me its the worst he has ever seen, but he can't wait to go back. He even joked, if it weren't for the lack of rain, right now we might be running from land sides.

I kind of understand the mentality of wanting to rebuild, I know I can;t wait to see what goes up here at ground zero. I am often found saying, you might have removed the buildings from the landscape, but not from my heart. What you know down, we will rebuild....bigger and better.

I too am guilty of this mentality. BUT, God forbid it were get knocked down again, I would never recommend the building be built again. Mother Earth fools me once, shame on her....she fool me a second time, shame on me!!! There should be no third time!!!!

have a great day Kosmick!

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stellawayten

You may find the awnsers you are seeking in this thread, They are already shredding the conspiracy at a faster pace than the burning fires themselves.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

My personal oppinion? If you were evacuated sometimes the last thing you think about are some of the most basic of needs. Not everyone is on the survival level that most of us are. They think of family photos and pets, important papers, stuff like that. And of course the ignorant and unprepared and the welfare parasites.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Between 3-5pm today, the winds are expected to reach their peak. I sure hope so. I wonder where more of the Californians are from this forum? Please keep this situation in your prayers and positive thoughts, so much has already been lost.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
yeah, maybe they didn't take that stuff with them but they can still go buy it. why do they need free stuff?

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Take a look at the EPA's air quality health for the affected area!

airnow.gov...

People are still walking around not taking heed to the warnings to wear masks to protect themselves from the particles floating in the air from not just the smoke but the other chemicals and un seen factors filling the air.

[edit on 23-10-2007 by antar]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst

Ah..Trader, my sometime friend and worthy adversary...it seems you and I often walk the fine line between agreement and throwing it down in an all out brawl! I guess it's a good thing we are not married or else our neighbors might possibly have 911 on their speed dial!

All I can say is - get back to me after your first natural disaster! As a former resident of a hurricane zone and a current resident of a drought-stricken zone, I can assure you it's only a matter of time - no matter where you live.

See my thread:

Water Wars 2007 - A Man-Made Disaster:
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Straight out of college (before I got a real job!), I was an insurance fraud investigator. Let me assure you that no policyholders (not even you) are having to absorb the costs of these disasters. It's a put on by insurance companies to increase their profits. Whether it's health insurance or property and casualty insurance, there is a definite strategy to "deny, deny, deny" a claim until absolutely forced to pay and then, I guarantee, they will low-ball you. How else do you think insurance companies make money?

When they pull out of underwriting in an area the motive is profit, not risk. There is plenty of money, they just want to keep it for themselves. Ask anyone in the Gulf Coast Region, Florida or the Mid-west how much, if any, of their claims were paid.

I once had a case where the family paid their premiums for 30 years and never made a claim. After mild wind damage from a hurricane (100 miles inland), their one and only claim was denied. That is until I stepped in. Samething along the Gulf Coast, residents have to duke it out with insurance companies as to whether the damage is caused by wind or flood. Why? Because if the damage is classified as flood damage the taxpayers pick up the tab and not the insurance company.

It is all a big game of poker - What are the odds of a claim on a policy? What are the odds you will challenge a denied claim? What are the odds of you getting an attorney? What are the odds of it settling? What are the odds of anyone noticing all of these denied claims?

Lawyers and insurance companies, a match made in heaven. I speak from first hand knowledge, one could not exist without the other.

[edit on 23/10/07 by kosmicjack]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
My sister called me last night, they live in Irvine and they received a voluntary evacuation notice and said if the fires get any closer, it will be mandatory. She said at that time the fire was 5 miles away from their home.

Really worried right now.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I drove all through that area last Winter thinking of moving there. One of the things my Wife and I discussed was how overgrown it was and how the Homeowners did not seem to care enough to clear the tinder and protect their homes. We actually got into quite a discussion about it. It seems kind of prophetic now. The area around the Wild Animal Park is one of the areas we looked and it has burned. It was dry as a bone and covered with years of uncleared growth. It is quite simple really. Don't clear the dry brush and tinder in a fire prone area for years= Houses burn down when there is a fire. Not to mention it puts the responders at extra risk due to the communities failure to take any simple protective measures. There is the real conspiracy.

The victims have my sympathy and I'll be writing a check to the Red Cross before the week is out. Mainly for the Fire Fighters who are the true heroes and the most likely victims. How many lives is an upper middle class or rich persons home worth? Poor people are in the inner cities. Poor people don't live in the Big Bear area or own Rural homes.

If I were there I would be praising the work of the responders and thanking them for their risking of their own lives to save a strangers property. I doubt I'd be accusing them of orchestrating a conspiracy to enact Martial Law.

I realize you are scared and concerned, but this is a little over the top. Be thankful there have not been a lot of deaths and contact your family to ease your mind. Don't increase your burden by worrying about the fantastic claims made here on ATS.

Statistically the damage and injuries are minuscule considering the population. I'd think the best way to help would be for people to offer a bed and a place to stay to those who are displaced. To do otherwise would be very disingenuous.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
For all of those who say it's stupid to live in high risk areas: I agree with you 50%, for those people who have mansions on top of the hill and are not smart enough to clear out brush (if that will even help with fires this big) or pick a dumb place to live, because yes I'm sure they can move to a lower risk area. But what about the people in mobile homes or average homes and dont really have any opportunities to leave, it's not their fault..... Or what about the arson fire victims or the victims of the fire that the embers flew too? It's not their fault and they can really do nothing about it.

I just think it's really dumb to say that these people should not live in high risk areas, just dumb.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by racerzeke

how is it not their fault? they chose to live there. They can move to a different state or town. Every adult chooses their own path.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join