It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma mandates Bibles in public classrooms

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2024 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

The bibles "placed by the gideons" ontop of every dresser at every hotel is still occurring today at least as far as to my knowledge. Stayed in a hotel recently and the room included a bible, well, now that I think about it...everytime I go to and stay in holiday inns or la quintas...I usually see a bible. Their bibles (the gideons) have a picture of a Jar with a flame coming out of the top on every one. Theyve been around for over a 100 years and they distribute / place bibles in all kinds of different locations, not just hotels. I distinctly remember getting one in jail a long time ago, "hey, its the gideons again!"

My kid came home from school and they gave him a bible at public school, which i thought was a win.
It was a small pocket version of the gospels in new testament. Also from the gideons. These dudes get around!

Im pretty sure when a hotel is starting out as a business, the owner or management probobly opts in to recieving the offer from Gideons international to place the bibles in their hotel and over the decades its kind of become like an American tradition, expected even, in most hotels (and jails) at least.

WAIT HOLD UP: now that you mention it; the dude who made this a law in oklahoma....why didnt he just get on the phone with the gideons and say, "Hey, I need 50,000 bibles pronto for schools!"? He would have probobly saved a ton of money cuz i think they would do it for free, and then just make it a law that every classroom needs a picture of the constitution on the wall that a teacher can print? Sure does seem like a lot of money. On the flip side of the same token, it seems like a wholesome move. expensive...but wholesome. And now that I think about it: I think the gideons have "placed" bibles in schools for years, so......it seems like they are kind of stepping on the toes of The Gideons, here, where this would be kind of like their territory. (Kind of like drug dealers where you are infringing on another persons turf).

I do think its a cool move to have (all of the above) in the classrooms, I just thought the operation would have been undertaken by said gideons.
But yes, as the OP pointed out, all the criteria narrow it down to 1 very specific and very unique bible. So these extra requests, i guess, put the situation outside of Gideons jurisdiction

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join