It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma mandates Bibles in public classrooms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 09:34 PM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

Ryan Walters calls for $6M to purchase Bibles for classrooms in proposed budget

Ryan Walters is the Oklahoma State Schools Superintendent and has called for $6,000,000 to be spend in state monies for purchasing a Bible for every public school room in the state.

The plan to purchase Bibles for public school classrooms comes nearly two months after the superintendent sent a letter to state school districts, ordering them to incorporate the Bible as an instructional support for student curriculum in fifth through 12th grades.

In ordering the school districts to incorporate the Bible into school curricula Walters said in a letter to the school districts that

“Adherence to this mandate is compulsory,” Walters’ letter to the school districts said. “Further instructions for monitoring and reporting on this implementation for the 2024/25 school year will be forthcoming. Immediate and strict compliance is expected.”

Adherence to this ‘’mandate is compulsory’’ and needs ‘’immediate and strict compliance’’.
Although there has been considerable push-back on this ‘’mandate’’

At Thursday's education board meeting, all four of the appointed members in attendance asked questions about, and expressed support for, Walters' plans to distribute Bibles to every classroom in Oklahoma.

That article in The Oklahoman was published on Sept. 26th.

And now , there is more to the story.

www.yahoo.com...

Walters has established a strict guideline for the bidding process that is going to be acceptable to his State School Board. These guide lines according to the bidding process are
1 Bibles must be the King James Version
2 Bibles must contain Old and New Testaments
3 Bibles must include copies of the Pledge of Allegiance
4 Bibles must include The Declaration of Independence
5 Bibles must include the US Constitution and Bill of Rights
and
6 Bibles must be bound in leather or leather like material.

‘’A salesperson at Mardel Christian & Education searched, and though they carry 2,900 Bibles, none fit the parameters.’’

But one Bible fits perfectly: Lee Greenwood’s God Bless the U.S.A. Bible, endorsed by former President Donald Trump and commonly referred to as the Trump Bible. They cost $60 each online, with Trump receiving fees for his endorsement.
Mardel doesn’t carry the God Bless the U.S.A. Bible or another Bible that could meet the specifications,

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 09:36 PM
link   
*shrugs* they want to spend their money on that, seems to me its a state issue.

Im not surprised considering the large number of churches in the state, but honestly meh.

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 09:37 PM
link   
When I was growing up we used to have bibles in schools, and it was prayer time and bible studies gathering during lunch time.

In my island we were majority Catholic soo it was normal.

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Read on Irish, read on. Did you get to the bottom of that OP?

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BingoMcGoof

It's a good thing we have the freedom to relocate if our state offends us too much. Over 200 @ day are utilizing that freedom to move out of Illinois for that reason.

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Yep, the good old days. But what do you think about how that mandate aims directly to purchasing six million dollars worth of Trump Bibles?

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Trump receiving royalties on bible sales? I'm calling BS on that one. Sounds like a definite fake news line, in the classic leftist lying style.

If there is any portion of sales money being given to Trump, it's certain that money will be going to some charity.
edit on 5-10-2024 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edit

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I want one.

That would be a fantastic book to have in any collection. Great features!

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: BingoMcGoof
a reply to: Irishhaf

Read on Irish, read on. Did you get to the bottom of that OP?

They had to. They looked by a liberal approved Bible, but there are none

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Where does it say that it has to be Trump's bible, to tell the truth I never heard of Trumps bible before I read this thread.

I guess if this is a "violation of the law" the state legislature and district attorney will make sure is not any violation.

edit on 5-10-2024 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Still meh... considering everything that is currently going on in the nation and the world... its a state issue who cares unless you live there.

If you live there run for office, and fix it.

If it upsets the people they will vote other people in.

edit on 01Sat, 05 Oct 2024 22:01:17 -050001171010pmf by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 10:01 PM
link   

The obvious question here is whether the separation of church and state provision in the US Constitution applies to states as well as the federal government.

Apparently, that was decided back in 1947 in "Emerson vs Board of Education". The majority opinion (written by Justice Hugo Black) states:

"The 'establishment of religion' clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions or prefer one religion over another."

Look for this to be contested in court and make its way to the Supreme Court, again.

If the Supreme Court does decide that it's OK for a state to prefer one religion over another, look for Mississippi to require grade school children to handle rattlesnakes. Look for California to require school children to take Ayahuasca.

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Hmm well each to there own and hell maybe this is what the kids these days need .....sure it's better then that damn common core curriculum....and the lgbtq+ books

Then you have stuff like this
China’s Influence on U.S. Education - LINK

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 10:08 PM
link   
My apologies to any members here who were unaware that Trump is selling Bibles now commonly known as the ''Trump Bible''

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tarantulabite1

Wow I forgot about that, the woke school system does have their own version of books that children should read. Is up to the state to decided what should be in the curriculum.

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Are you for or against banning books?

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Are you upset that they aren't spending it on gay sex or masturbation books?

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomer1947

Yes, as I recall the laws on this issue as well. However, the line is being drawn and maybe not in sand.

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I’m sure they could get Gideon NT’s for free or near as well as America’s founding document's copies . Nonetheless nice to see a move in the right direction for some daily bread

For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord; it shall cover them as the sea

No longer will the racist nations train for war

In Christ there’s neither Jew or Greek

posted on Oct, 5 2024 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I'm glad I don't live in Oklahoma.

But I'm also glad that the people of Oklahoma can dictate what happens in their own schools.

We aren't the Borg; we all don't have to be the same.
edit on 5-10-2024 by Dandandat3 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join