It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father of teen suspect in Georgia school shooting charged with 2nd-degree murder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

The accessory is between two adults though, a bit different than a parent who allegedly bought a gun the child couldn’t acquire on his own and gave him access.

I had guns as a teenager. I didn’t have access to those guns though because I was a teenager. I shot with my dad’s supervision.

Now, if it turns out the dad had them locked up and the son managed to circumvent that, I think this is a different story.

But rule of thumb, children shouldn’t be in possession of firearms without supervision. That’s best practice, but there are exceptions. If I had a ranch out in the sticks, and I trusted my son, I’d probably let him carry while doing his work if there is a threat of critters.

If you have a child who’s allegedly made threats, and you provide him with a firearm afterwards, I absolutely think you’re complicit in the crime with your negligence. But I’ll wait to make that determination when we have all the facts. These are just charges and we don’t know the full context.

By the way, accessory was describing the relationship of a getaway driver. But in the US they can be charged with first degree murder if their accomplices kill during the crime.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

By the way, accessory was describing the relationship of a getaway driver. But in the US they can be charged with first degree murder if their accomplices kill during the crime.

That is true in some jurisdictions. I don't believe it is federal. I also disagree with that because the person doesn't even have to be aware a crime happened or was going to happen. It is strictly tied to being there while a felony resulted in murder.

There have been many cases where a guy is just hanging out with his buddies and one of them goes bonkers in a convenience store and kills somebody or things like that. The person in the car (dioesn't even have to be the driver), had no intention or knowledge of there going to be a murder yet they spend 15 years for just being there. While the choice of friends was poor, the choice to murder or not was not in their control.

BTW, I just checked and Georgia has no minimum age to legally own/possess a rifle without supervision so no legal requirement to keep it locked up any more than a bottle of liquor. Terrible judgment sure.

Also, I own no guns nor shoot. I did when I was young and everyone around me had one by early-mid teens. No shootings though. There is a societal problem here that is not being addressed at the root. I would have no issue with regular floggings for "bad judgement" by parents. The selfishness among parents is off the charts.
edit on 6-9-2024 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede

Also, I own no guns nor shoot. I did when I was young and everyone around me had one by early-mid teens. No shootings though. There is a societal problem here that is not being addressed at the root. I would have no issue with regular floggings for "bad judgement" by parents. The selfishness among parents is off the charts.

until we can move past the hype on "weapons of war" and "banning assault weapons", we don't seem to be capable of discussing the 'root causes' of this issue, which appear to be much closer to your line of thinking than the MSM and the left in general.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 08:19 AM
link   

As I pointed out, getaway drivers can be charged with murder, I understand that’s a case by case basis and dependent on the state it occurs. Typically you’re going to be charged by the state for crimes unless the crime comes under federal jurisdiction.

As for teens possessing firearms, I understand it can be legal. And I even noted I could see times I could even approve of it. But it’s just good general practice as an adult to keep control of your firearms. But the fact it was alleged he had made threats before changes that dynamic. A lot of life isn’t black and white or law… it’s discretion.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 08:22 AM
link   
lol they sure are dragging out the Father's arraignment aren't they. 😀

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: SecretKnowledge2

This is ridiculous.

You can't charge the kid as an adult and then charge his father too.

Should his dad face some kind of charges? Yes.
But this looks like wild flailing by the State.

Yeah I'm on board with maybe like....child endangerment, contributing to delinquency of a minor, aid and abet in furtherance of a crime for buying the gun. MAYBE. I dont know. I am certain there are more appropriate charges than 2nd degree murder or involuntary manslaughter. I dont even understand why they tack on involuntary manslaughter since they're alleging he KNOWINGLY bought the gun for his son that led to these murders, then it wouldn't be involuntary now would it?

I agree. Flailing wildly in an attempt to scare people away from buying guns because you never know when you'll be charged with a murder someone else committed.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 09:31 AM
link   
If we are to blame the father, that i believe he is guilty also, lets also include the hidden factors on why our children are becoming so unstable, lets blame and charge the food industry that are poisoning our children in uterus, lets blame the big pharma that are poisoning us with their medications and vaccines.

America's food is so bad that other countries do not even allow it to be consumed, we are also the most vaccinated country in the world and children still die young.

Let blame the environmental agencies that are allowing poison in our air.

Yep lets blame the federal government that is no doing enough to caught children with mental issues in schools.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 09:49 AM
link   

One trend I've noticed about school shooters is that they're always on the FBI's radar and then taken off a short time before they shoot the school up. There's something deeper and more wicked behind these people that we're not catching onto and not being told about.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Everything in the US is done for agendas, that is the ugly truth, those behind the government wants chaos and mayhem and schools is the perfect place to bring certain respond from that.

All is in order to target gun control, casualties are expected, we, to those in power are nothing but numbers.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Hundreds of parents of teen shooters here in Chicago not charged. The authorities see them (shooters/parents) as doing the community a service by reducing the number of Blacks and Hispanics.

Same with abortions, btw. 75% Black/Hispanic baby murders. Democrats and the KKK love those.

edit on 692024 by WeMustCare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 10:49 AM
link   

This is ridiculous.

Will we now be making it a precedent to charge all parents for their kids crimes?

While this topic maybe worthy of a wider discussion, the answer is obviously no.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: wAnchorofCarp

I think each case is indpendantly reviewed form what I understand.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyAmerican
Good.

Time to start extraditing anyone’s parents that used their guns to commit murders.

Looking at all the illegal immigrants.

Oh. Wait. FBI, DHS etc. are busy not running down things that were already flagged.

Meanwhile don’t sleep on trains in Chicago. #DNC

Got it.

ETA RIP to the deceased. Vance is wrong for saying this is “a fact of life”. How about we pay for armed guards at every school, so further bloodshed can be mitigated.

And no. Taking guns ain’t the answer or happening.

To my knowledge, the armed officer hid behind a car outside. We just need to hire some former Army or Marine vets that won't hide when gunfire starts.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 11:05 AM
link   

This is ridiculous.

It seems prevalent anymore to overcharge for the arrest warrant and amend the charges after a bail hearing. It's become the way lawfare works.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I specifically remember democrats saying the war on drugs was a waste of money and pointless. Likely their plan all along.

JUST SAY NO.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Good , he supplied the weapon to his kid so he shares the blame , the term "parental responsibility" should have teeth.

We could do with a bit of that over here.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Just the tip?

Tee hee

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What's the fathers name ? Butt hole ? Seems on target 🎯

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 12:42 PM
link   
When I was a teenager back in in the early sixties the future looked to us to be fantastic. We were still riding the cusp of American prosperity following World War Two and the hegemony of American economics. There was for us, a new world of fast food, girls, cars and sports. Few of us read science fiction which only in a few books were beginning to deal with the issues of a dystopian future. The future was only going to get better and better and better.

My family was lower middle class, suburban but the hope fed to other people my age was just apply yourself and the future will open itself up before you.

I remember those days. The surge of interest in the world as I matured, seeing the larger world from a twelve year old brain, a fourteen year old brain, an eighteen year old brain it was all a matter of expansion, how much could I take in. How much could I find out on my own rather than just taking several previous generations word for it.

Kids that age today have no such blanket of illusion about the future. Apocalyptic and dystopian movies have plagued the cinema for several decades. Gaming consoles offer a wide range of similar offerings. I try to imagine myself as I was then opening up now as I did then and and I can honestly say that I think I would have just looked around and shut down. These last few generations have an existential cliff to climb that is mind numbing.

posted on Sep, 6 2024 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Considering the parents knew of the FBI INQUIRIES certainly carry the bulk of the responsibility here.

But generally, until the core problems of mental health, bullying, and overprescribed child and teen mood drugs are addressed we will have incidences such as these. Still lots kids get bullied, lots of kids has mental health issues, but relatively few cross over to violent reactions.

The school administration has to be able to identify potential issues and have the authority and ability to counsel and or remove potential children who are struggling, right now they do not have the resources, training or legal recourse to preemptively remove a student.

additionally, there is a need for more robust forms of security.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join