It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden will announce Supreme Court reform plans next week

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: wAnchorofCarp

Oh heck no. Congress should not be benefiting in any way as well. If I haven't said that previously, I may have or not.

Anybody that can make legal outcomes and can potentially be influenced by gifts should not be allowed them.

Just my opinion. I'd be interested in an opposite opinion and the reasoning.
edit on 5-8-2024 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

So then I can welcome you to the push against Biden?

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: wAnchorofCarp

Sure, I don't think he should unilaterally make changes, however those that can, should.

He can't if my understanding is correct, it'll have to go to congress to make them.
edit on 5-8-2024 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I wonder who is really writing the plans that will be used to redact a bill to reform the supreme court, actually that is unconstitutional, and he needs congress to pass such bill or reform.

I laugh because in the state of incapacitation that biden is, he is not fit to make any decisions regarding the nation.

I wonder if Obama and pelosi are the ones doing the reform.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Bidens mama can make all the recommendations she wants, still a Constitutional issue.

So even Bidens mama can suck it.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If it was soo easy to tamper with the supreme court, then how easy will be to tamper with the house and the senate at a presidential impulse, our nation would no be this intact if it was soo easy.

It only shows how democrats are ready to shred the constitution, and the nations check and balances just to stay in power.

Soo can somebody tell me who is the biggest threat to democracy again.

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Unhappy with Joe Biden’s proposed reforms to the SCOTUS, left wing extremists are now demanding that Biden and/or Harris pack the court.

Term Limits Aren’t Enough. The Supreme Court Needs More Justices

Term limits aren’t enough. Expand the Supreme Court.

Kamala Harris Has Already Made the Case for Court Expansion

Elizabeth Warren Announces Support For Expanding The Supreme Court

Imagine a country wherein every new executive leader packs the court just enough so that it sides with them a majority of the time; and you have just imagined many of the countries we call our advertisers.

This is the reason I have a difficult time supporting the Democrat party even though I agree with their more fundamental beliefs more than I do the Republicans. For the Democrats the ends always justify the means and if they need to destroy our country to get what they want... they will.

edit on 5-8-2024 by Dandandat3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 10:51 PM
link   
i'm pretty sure if the dem ones manage to pass a amendment (that would be what it takes, because the judiciary is written into the foundation of the constitution) in both the house and senate it would still need to be ratified by 38 states. i really don't see that happening.

not only that, if they start imposing term limits they should impose themselves as well, and the same with bureaucratizes, whose job performance should be evaluated every year by a evaluation board made up of citizens from each state until during they tenure.

that said i don't really have a problem with term limits, if it's good enough for the president then it should be good enough for every other elected official. i also think that judges just like representatives, senators, the president should be elected along the same lines as states judges, age limits to become one after a set time of being a lawyer and cut off for being able to run as one, and mandatory competency tests after a certain age.

and no agendas / bias, just what is legal by written law, no more or no less. none of the i'm for this or that or i'm against this or that so i'm gonna base my opinion on that and rule that way.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 04:22 AM
link   
RBG was against packing the court.
The lefties should take notice of that.
They've made her a bigger than life icon.
Maybe now they should listen to her.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
a reply to: network dude

My response to you was not stating you were angry.

your response to me was:

Why you're mad at me because it's Thomas makes no sense.

please at the very least, be honest. Lying isn't a good look on anyone. And if not lying, then......

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
RBG was against packing the court.
The lefties should take notice of that.
They've made her a bigger than life icon.
Maybe now they should listen to her.

not sure that's an option. Like listening to Dr. King Jr., then spouting all about DEI.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: frogs453
a reply to: network dude

My response to you was not stating you were angry.

your response to me was:

Why you're mad at me because it's Thomas makes no sense.

please at the very least, be honest. Lying isn't a good look on anyone. And if not lying, then......

That was about your sarcasm in your previous post:

It's a shame there isn't some mechanism to remove a judge from SCOTUS. I guess this is how it will be until Thomas dies. Too bad for your side.

I had literally posted a non biased link and stated this should be for all. It obviously upset you that it happens to be a conservative judge.
edit on 6-8-2024 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Dandandat3

"I think" .... in a position reminiscent of Dictatorship; Biden is using his personal desires to reshape the court. Shouldn't reforms to one whole branch of our government come from the people and not one old man still stinging from defeat after his own party removed him from power?

Dictatorship is as dictatorship does, meaning, SCOTUS acted the dictator, so the remedy seems to be another dictatorial move to level the playing field - checkmate(?). Just an observation...I could be wrong, but probably not...they are just playing games with people's lives and it's all for their agendae.
edit on q00000008831America/Chicago5050America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
...SCOTUS acted the dictator...

SCOTUS doing their job and ruling based on the US Constitution doesn't equate to them being 'dictators'. You do get that we have THREE branches of government, independent, and that they are equal in terms of governing this country, right?

You don't seem to get that. Are you even American?
Considering how little you understand, I'm thinking NOT.

US Courts - About The Supreme Court

Supreme Court - About the Supreme Court

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

What I do know is that most of North America and the world are pro-choice, so take that as you will...and we know how you will take that.

Look at the table at my link - Education - it says it all.

news.gallup.com...

'Pro-Choice' Identification Rises to Near Record High in U.S.

news.gallup.com...

What do the people want, again? SCOTUS don't care.
edit on q00000036831America/Chicago4040America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 07:53 AM
link   

What I do know is that most of North America and the world are pro-choice,...

Irrelevant.

SCOTUS decides issues based on the US Constitution. Not on emotion. Not on what the people want one day or don't want the next day. They decide emotionless and based on the CONSTITUTION.

You'd know that if you'd educate yourself on the three branches of US Government, and that they are all equal, and what their roles and functions are.

There is NOTHING in the US Constitution that promises that people can have certain medical procedures or certain services that are provided at a cost for those who want it. Therefore, SCOTUS says it's up to the people of each state to decide what they want for their state. STATES RIGHTS. Each state can run itself the way it wants as long as it follows the US Constitution.

You aren't American, are you?
If you are, you are really not too smart, or you are willfully ignorant.
But I"m betting a donut that you aren't even American.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 07:56 AM
link   

SCOTUS left that important decision in the hands of the minority (state leaders) and without a referendum vote by the people, they are stuck with whatever that minority decides for them. Dictatorship is as dictatorship does.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I posted this link earlier, but apparently quintessintone didn't educate herself ...

As I said, it's IRRELEVANT what the mood of the country is in regards to certain laws. The Supreme Court rules by the US Constitution ... not by emotion.

US Courts - Supreme Court

The Supreme Court plays a very important role in our constitutional system of government. First, as the highest court in the land, it is the court of last resort for those looking for justice. Second, due to its power of judicial review, it plays an essential role in ensuring that each branch of government recognizes the limits of its own power. Third, it protects civil rights and liberties by striking down laws that violate the Constitution. Finally, it sets appropriate limits on democratic government by ensuring that popular majorities cannot pass laws that harm and/or take undue advantage of unpopular minorities. In essence, it serves to ensure that the changing views of a majority do not undermine the fundamental values common to all Americans, i.e., freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and due process of law.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Apparently, you too don't care what the majority of Americans want.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 08:01 AM
link   

SCOTUS left that important decision in the hands of the minority (state leaders) and without a referendum vote by the people, they are stuck with whatever that minority decides for them. Dictatorship is as dictatorship does.

DUMB.

The people vote in the state leaders.
The state leaders then put the laws in place.
So yes, the people decide the laws of the state.
States rights.

SCOTUS rules based on the US Constitution.
It has no right to interfere in how states run themselves,
unless those states try to pass laws that go counter to
the US Constitution.

Your lack of understanding on this topic is appalling.
Again ... you aren't American, are you?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join