It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden will announce Supreme Court reform plans next week

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Speaking about presidents acking like dictators; the Biden administration plans to side step the separation of powers spelled out in the constitution and try instead to impose his will on the SCOTUS.

It's no surprise that the President doesn't appreciate the rulings made by the current Court; but does that alone give him the right to push reforms?

This is not the first time the executive and the judicial branches have been at odds; for example FRD was at odds with his Court and he also tried to dramatically reform the court to be more favorable to his administration. Lucky for the US, brave members of FDR's own party stood in his way and stopped him. Could that happen again? Is there still some integrity left in partisan politics to stop it?

Biden will announce Supreme Court reform plans next week

President Joe Biden plans to unveil a proposal on Monday for dramatically reforming the Supreme Court, two people familiar with the matter told POLITICO.

Biden is likely to endorse establishing term limits for justices and an enforceable code of ethics, in an announcement that represents a remarkable shift for a president who had long resisted calls to overhaul the high court.

“I think the Supreme Court made a terrible decision,” Biden said during an NBC News interview earlier this month,

link

"I think" .... in a position reminiscent of Dictatorship; Biden is using his personal desires to reshape the court. Shouldn't reforms to one whole branch of our government come from the people and not one old man still stinging from defeat after his own party removed him from power?

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Dandandat3

Death throes.

I think he'll sooner cure cancer....

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 03:04 PM
link   
By "reform" he means RAPE.
God help us if he gets his hands on it.
The Democrats are hell bent on the destruction of this country.

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 03:06 PM
link   

ATTENTION...please read before posting....

BE AWARE THAT IF YOUR POST IS NOT ON TOPIC AND/OR IS ABOUT OTHER MEMBERS YOU MAY BE ABOUT TO HAVE POSTS REMOVED. OR YOU MAY BE TEMPORARILY POST BANNED!
AND, PLEASE REMEMBER THERE IS NO MORE MUD PIT....MUD NOT ALLOWED. Just because the MUD PIT is gone, doesn't mean ATS allows muddy politics.

Everyone and I mean everyone is allowed to post here on topic and to do so without being called names or becoming the target of others' posts. Debate the topic and leave each other out of it. OPPOSING VIEWPOINTS are encouraged.
Those who refuse to get that concept may be POST BANNED!!!

These rules apply to all threads and if you want to engage in personal attacks there are other sites on the Internet where you can do that. Our goal is for ATS to be above that. For members here to post like mature adults.
YOU are responsible for your own posts

And, as always...
Do not reply to this post.

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 03:09 PM
link   

" Biden will announce Supreme Court reform plans next week "

Which is Beyond his Authority as POTUS and is Completely Unconstitutional . So is this Nothingburger Story just for the Consumption of the Masses of Dumb as a Rock potential Democrat Voters ?

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dandandat3
Speaking about presidents acking like dictators; the Biden administration plans to side step the separation of powers spelled out in the constitution and try instead to impose his will on the SCOTUS.

Separation of powers refers to the separation of Church and State. Or any religion and state.

I think you're referring to the checks and balances. Those go three ways -- the Judicial is a check on the Executive and the Legislative, Legislative on the Executive and Judicial, and Executive on the two.

The same way the Supreme Court has a right to review decisions made by the Executive or the Legislative branches, the other two have a right to keep the SC in check, appoint them, remove them, set rules and regulations for them, and so on.

Looking forward to hearing any plans on how to curb the most corrupt Supreme Court in US history. I mean, ffs, Clarence Thomas alone has accepted over $4,000,000 in gifts and bribes; that we know of. More than he's made in salary over the years.

If you take more from your benefactors than you do from the people you are meant to serve, who are you really working for?

edit on 27-7-2024 by Mahogani because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogani

originally posted by: Dandandat3

Separation of powers refers to the separation of Church and State. Or any religion and state.

No you are not correct link

I think you're referring to the checks and balances. Those go three ways -- the Judicial is a check on the Executive and the Legislative, Legislative on the Executive and Judicial, and Executive on the two.

The same way the Supreme Court has a right to review decisions made by the Executive or the Legislative branches, the other two have a right to keep the SC in check, appoint them, remove them, set rules and regulations for them, and so on.

Looking forward to hearing any plans on how to curb the most corrupt Supreme Court in US history. I mean, ffs, Clarence Thomas alone has accepted over $4,000,000 in gifts and bribes; that we know of. More than he's made in salary over the years.

If you take more from your benefactors than you do from the people you are meant to serve, who are you really working for?

The three branches of government do, as you have stated, have mechanisms to check each others powers. All of these checks refer to the product of law ... rarely if ever do the branches of government interfere with the internal processes of the other. The Executive banch doesn't oversee how the Legislative makes laws and the Judiciary doesnt control the department of justice. They all carry out their tasks independently and the final products of law they ceate are checked by the others.

To follow your example an argument can be made the current Legislature is the most corrupt in history. 4,000,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to how current members of Congress have enriched themselves. But it would still be wrong for the Judiciary to start demanding reforms in congress. That government shaping duity is for the people..

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 04:34 PM
link   

You're correct on the first part, my bad. I does refer to both things, I've only used it for one of them in my life.

On the second part though... lol. Really? I was literally laughing my ass off here, before I got back to typing.

Taking $4 million in bribes is ok because others do it? This absolutely should be reformed and no SC justice should ever be able to take bribes again. Ever! For as long as our country lasts -- no more bribes. No more gifts, no more vacations, or shady real estate deals, or private trips and airplanes and who knows what else.

One of these judges is very different. Can you tell which one?

Here, maybe this will make it easier:

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Whatever Biden does, it will be anti-Constitutional.

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I have to agree with how Biden is acting like a Dictator. He is trying to make the court submissive to the President...but only when it is a Democrat president I suppose. I wonder how he is going to work that Democrat part in.

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogani

Separation of Church and State was never used in any document. The First Amendment addresses not to have a state church like England.

prevents the government from making laws respecting an establishment of religion

edit on x31Sat, 27 Jul 2024 17:36:21 -05002024208America/ChicagoSat, 27 Jul 2024 17:36:21 -05002024 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 05:38 PM
link   
There are 3 branches of government.

The left has power over one, wants power over another, and now is trying to take over the third.

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Ethics?
We don’t need no stinkin ethics?

The average term length of a Supreme Court judge is between 16 and 17 years. Closer to 17.
Look at Thomas! Good man, people love him. All those gifts, he must be good!

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
There are 3 branches of government.

The left has power over one, wants power over another, and now is trying to take over the third.

Well, 4 with the administrative state.

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
Ethics?

The average term length of a Supreme Court judge is between 16 and 17 years. Closer to 17.

Laughs in RBG...

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Ethics?

But you're good with people making millions in congress for decades.

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogani

My argument does not imply corruption is ok. Just that further corruption (ie the Executive branch meddling in the Judicial branch) does not fix corruption.

Joe Biden can not fix corruption by acting corrupt.

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Ethics?

No, that’s also a problem.
We should build the wall around K Street and just toss in Slim Jims and rice crackers periodically.

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 06:33 PM
link   

President Biden is set to propose several changes to the U.S. Constitution on Monday to make good on his promise to reform the Supreme Court, according to a report

“I’m going to call for Supreme Court reform, because this is critical to our democracy”

So sick of hearing democrats complain about democracy all while they subvert it. Dems are just pissed off that they aren’t getting their way and able to do whatever they want, when they want but the right’s the threat. It’s complete ass backwards bs.

"This decision today has continued the court’s attack in recent years on a wide range of long-established legal principles in our nation, from gutting voting rights and civil rights to taking away a woman’s right to choose, to today’s decision that undermines the rule of law of this nation," Biden said in public remarks after the court handed down its opinion. 

"Over the next six months, I’ll be focused on doing my job as president. That means I’ll continue to lower costs for hard-working families, grow our economy. I’ll keep defending our personal freedoms and our civil rights, from the right to vote to the right to choose. I’ll keep calling out hate and extremism, make it clear there is no place, no place in America for political violence or any violence ever, period. I’m going to keep speaking out to protect our kids from gun violence, our planet from climate crisis, is the existential threat," Biden said. 

All sounds a bit more like allowing illegals to vote, men in women’s bathrooms, taking away gun rights, abortions, more liberal judges that agree with them and of course whittling away at our constitution.

www.foxnews.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Linky
edit on 27-7-2024 by KrustyKrab because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2024 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Ethics?

No, that’s also a problem.
We should build the wall around K Street and just toss in Slim Jims and rice crackers periodically.

Yeah, the leftist White House and Senate will impose restrictions on Supreme Court but they will only ever vote themselves raises.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join