It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Forward

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2024 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Finally got my Discovery Complete Series box set muahahahaha

posted on Aug, 30 2024 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AlroyFarms

I really hated that.

At the risk of being off topic, is anyone enjoying The Swarm, I am!

posted on Aug, 30 2024 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

I really hated that.

At the risk of being off topic, is anyone enjoying The Swarm, I am!

I'm only a few episodes in but it feels like a big pile of meh.

The Klingons are...weird. And they already ripped off Dune.

Oh well I'm giving it a fair chance until I reach my limit.

By all means, we can discuss other topics!

edit on 30-8-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2024 @ 06:19 AM
link   

The Klingons are.... annoying?

The mushroom drive thing is just silly.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 05:30 AM
link   

The Klingons are.... annoying?

The mushroom drive thing is just silly.

I agree 100% about both. Screw the spore drive!

Also, why would they redesign the Klingons to look and act more stupid than ever before? Frustrating!

Other shows did a lot to flesh them out and enrich the lore. Discovery turned them into one-dimensional penis monsters!

I really do question some of the creative choices happening so far. I can see why the negative reviews.

edit on 2-9-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 07:28 AM
link   

That's why I gave up on it.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Also, why would they redesign the Klingons to look and act more stupid than ever before? Frustrating!

They didn't redesign them, they supposedly just removed their hair, but then every time I watched Discovery, I couldn't stop thinking of a whole planet of Klingons having their heads waxed!!

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Perhaps those pesky Tribbles ate their hair?

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 11:29 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

They didn't redesign them, they supposedly just removed their hair, but then every time I watched Discovery, I couldn't stop thinking of a whole planet of Klingons having their heads waxed!!

They smoothed the cranial ridges and gave them a new wardrobe.

I mean that would be okay, but considering how many scenes we got with them, they were rather bland and boring.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Shy, are we?

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Perhaps those pesky Tribbles ate their hair?

Nice use of the Tribble vs. Klingon gag

posted on Sep, 5 2024 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I asked CHAT GPT4 which series, in the Star Trek franchise, was the most expensive to produce taking into account the cost of living over the decades (inflation). This was the reply -

The production costs of "Star Trek" series have varied significantly over the decades, largely due to differences in technology, production values, and the economic context at the time each series was made.

1. Star Trek: The Original Series (TOS)
• Original Costs: Approximately $190,000 per episode.
• Inflation-Adjusted Costs: Around $1.5 million per episode in 2023 dollars.
• Notes: The low production costs were reflective of the 1960s, with limited special effects and sets.

2. Star Trek: The Next Generation (TNG)
• Original Costs: About $1.3 million per episode.
• Inflation-Adjusted Costs: Approximately $2.8 to $3 million per episode in 2023 dollars.
• Notes: TNG benefited from improved technology and higher production values compared to TOS.

3. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9)
• Original Costs: Estimated at around $2 million per episode in early seasons, rising to about $3 million per episode in later seasons.
• Inflation-Adjusted Costs: Roughly $3.8 to $4 million per episode for early seasons and $5.7 to $6 million per episode for later seasons in 2023 dollars.
• Notes: DS9's complex storytelling, particularly during the Dominion War arc, contributed to its higher production costs over time.

4. Star Trek: Voyager
• Original Costs: Approximately $3 million per episode during the 1990s.
• Inflation-Adjusted Costs: The equivalent cost in 2023 dollars is around $5.5 to $6 million per episode.
• Notes: Voyager had a substantial budget for its time, with significant investment in special effects and sets.

5. Star Trek: Enterprise
• Original Costs: Roughly $4 million per episode by the final season.
• Inflation-Adjusted Costs: Close to $6 million per episode in 2023 dollars.
• Notes: Enterprise's rising costs reflected increasingly sophisticated CGI and action sequences.

6. Star Trek: Discovery
• Original Costs: Approximately $8-9 million per episode.
• Inflation-Adjusted Costs: This is reflective of 2023 dollars, given the series began in 2017.
• Notes: Discovery's high costs stem from its cinematic production values, complex visual effects, and detailed set designs.

7. Star Trek: Picard
• Original Costs: Around $8-9 million per episode.
• Inflation-Adjusted Costs: Similar to Discovery, the costs are already in 2023 dollars.
• Notes: Picard’s production values are similarly high, with a focus on high-quality effects, star-studded casts, and intricate storytelling that adds to the overall budget.

8. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
• Original Costs: Estimated at around $8-9 million per episode.
• Inflation-Adjusted Costs: Already reflective of 2023 dollars.
• Notes: Strange New Worlds continues the trend of high-budget Star Trek series, with a focus on detailed set designs, special effects, and a cinematic approach to episodic storytelling reminiscent of TOS.

Final Analysis

Most Expensive Series: Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds are all tied as the most expensive series to produce, with each costing approximately $8-9 million per episode in contemporary dollars.

Ranking by Expense:
1. Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (~$8-9 million per episode).
2. Star Trek: Enterprise (inflation-adjusted ~$6 million per episode in later seasons).
3. Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (inflation-adjusted $5.5 to $6 million per episode for Voyager, and ~$5.7 to $6 million per episode for DS9 in later seasons).
4. Star Trek: The Next Generation (inflation-adjusted ~$2.8 to $3 million per episode).
5. Star Trek: The Original Series (inflation-adjusted ~$1.5 million per episode).

Conclusion
Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds are the most expensive Star Trek series ever made, reflecting the high production values expected in modern television, particularly with their cinematic quality, special effects, and set designs.

Despite accounting for inflation, these series still follow a chronological order when considering production costs. I did not expect that.

edit on 5/9/24 by Morrad because: formatting error

posted on Sep, 5 2024 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Worf on the Tribble threat to the Klingon Empire:

m.youtube.com...

edit on 5-9-2024 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2024 @ 06:55 AM
link   

They smoothed the cranial ridges and gave them a new wardrobe.

Was that on a Klingon fashion show, Botox and a fashion designer?

posted on Sep, 5 2024 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Discovery is a load of old Botox.....

posted on Sep, 15 2024 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Oh yeah you people weren't kidding! Discovery is such a hot load of nonsense!

I'm about 1/3 through season 2 and I don't know what's going on and couldn't care less!

I'm someone who watches terrible movies for fun, but this...

I can't take this anymore.

edit on 15-9-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2024 @ 06:09 AM
link   

I didn't make it past season 1.

posted on Sep, 21 2024 @ 10:21 PM
link   

was going to watch the night stalker METV, changed it to early. Star Trek TOS is on and it kohms and yangs / The Omega Glory
S2E23. one of the best ones.

posted on Sep, 21 2024 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

you know that episode Trials and Tribble-ations S5E6 DS9 the question about why the klingons didn't have forehead ridges in the TOS, was answered in Enterprise S4 E15 Affliction

in that episode Pholx was kidnapped and taken to a Klingon colony where they had been experimenting with Augment DNA. in DS9 O'Brien thought that Klingons were genetically modified, Bashir thought it was a mutation.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join