It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Florida law allows the death penalty for child rapists

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

Putting words in my mouth.

SCOTUS disagrees with you, in Kenndy V Lousanna

edit on 6-10-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Muldar

But still the death penalty is applied in other States for a range of crimes. It isn't against the constitution despite the very confused idea of what constitutional and unconstitutional means.

You are confused.

Patrick O'Neal Kennedy (snip) was sentenced to death after being convicted of raping and sodomizing his eight-year-old stepdaughter.

Kennedy v. Louisiana, 554 U.S. 407 (2008), is a landmark decision by the Supreme Court of the United States which held that the Eighth Amendment's Cruel and Unusual Punishments Clause prohibits the imposition of the death penalty for a crime in which the victim did not die and the victim's death was not intended.

You, all of you, really need to stop denying that this law is unconstitutional. Maybe instead, start a thread about how "WOKE" the US Constitution is.

en.wikipedia.org...

That's another strawman argument by the way.

The death penalty isn't unconstitutional as you have tried to discuss earlier. Unsuccessfully of course.

You're trying hard to argue about specific cases and not about the death penalty itself.

Florida has overwhelmingly voted for it in the case of child rapists and the decision may or may not be challenged. It is a law of the State and it's far from being unconstitutional.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ADVISOR

up:

Let hope it doesn't take two decades to execute, wasting tax payers money in the mean time.

Until all 50 States have this, along with DAs that will enforce said Laws, I'm sad to say such activities won't stop increasing as a trend.

It usually takes a lot of time between conviction and execution.

But in the US we don't have many executions. Very few cases only.

In Florida for example the last 40 years there have been around 100 people who have been executed for serious crimes. That's between 2-3 people per year. Usually the sentences are less severe or life without parole.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw

how have so many in society become rape apologists.

eta is a question i ask myself as I'm seeing it a lot more openly defend paedophiles and rapists..

I see the same and it's really troubling.

At least someone can say I don't believe in the death penalty at all for XYZ reasons. That's a better way to go about it.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Are you trying to say that the SCOTUS ruling from Kennedy V Luisiana advocated for the execution of underage rapists, and ruled the practice constitutional?

Is that what you're saying?

Otherwise, what you're advocating for, the execution of child rapists, is, as of this day, unconstitutional.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Let's see some of the attempts made to argue child rapists shouldn't be executed

Children knowing their abusers isn't a valid argument against the death penalty for rapists (including people from their own environment and family)

The assertion we will now have many more child murders because child rapists can get a death sentence if they are caught, has no basis in anything, and it's not a valid argument against the death penalty for child rapists.

The assertion children will be emotionally distressed if they know their abusers will die 'because' of them is just ridiculous and even if some kids get distressed then it's still not a valid argument against the death penalty.

Terrible arguments.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Why are leaving out the part about how SCOTUS ruled the act of executing a child rapist unconstitutional?

All the reasons why cruel and unusual punishment is bad for society and crime victims is valid, but superfluous.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Are you trying to say that the SCOTUS ruling from Kennedy V Luisiana advocated for the execution of underage rapists, and ruled the practice constitutional?

Otherwise, what you're advocating for, the execution of child rapists, is, as of this day, unconstitutional.

Are you trying to say the new law is unconstitutional based on the interpretation given in your paragraph?

See how many attempts to made to argue against the death penalty for child rapists. They have all failed. Do you think this one will succeed?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Are you trying to say the new law is unconstitutional based on the interpretation given in your paragraph?

The law is unconstitutional based on the SCOTUS ruling in Kennedy v Louisiana.

Can you admit that?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:52 AM
link   

terrorism against The People.

Putting words in your mouth huh? This is exactly what you said, don't get upset when people call you out for your own words

Kennedy vs Louisiana does not say the death penalty in itself is unconstitutional. You are highly incorrect

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Not all terrorists are Al Queda.

Kennedy vs Louisiana does not say the death penalty in itself is unconstitutional.

I have never claimed anything other than that Kennedy vs Louisiana does say the Florida law that is the topic of this thread is unconstitutional, regardless of how you try to twist reality. The death penalty for rapist is unconstitutional, even child rapists.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

terrorism against The People.

Putting words in your mouth huh? This is exactly what you said, don't get upset when people call you out for your own words

Kennedy vs Louisiana does not say the death penalty in itself is unconstitutional. You are highly incorrect

He is trying to conflate everything.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Not all terrorists are Al Queda.

Kennedy vs Louisiana does not say the death penalty in itself is unconstitutional.

I have never claimed anything other than that Kennedy vs Louisiana does say the Florida law that is the topic of this thread is unconstitutional, regardless of how you try to twist reality. The death penalty for rapist is unconstitutional, even child rapists.

It doesn't and the Florida House and Senate have voted for the bill that has now become law.

Based on the interpretation in your paragraph you can't make this claim.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Al Queda and ISIS are both terrorist groups. Therefore, linking them to the word terrorism is just.

not my fault you are labeling things what they aren't.

Another poster included a quote from the topic law of this thread stating that Kennedy vs Louisiana was unconstitutional.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Laws can be so made and then can be found to be unconstitutional, or are they set in stone?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 12:14 PM
link   

It doesn't and the Florida House and Senate have voted for the bill that has now become law.

Okay. Let me get this straight.

You're saying that Kennedy V Louisiana doesn't rule against the State of Louisiana, and forbid Kennedy's execution, based on 8th Amendment violations?

And you're saying that the fact that Florida lawmakers voted for the law, that makes said law constitutional?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

Laws can be so made and then can be found to be unconstitutional, or are they set in stone?

For example there is no right when it comes to abortion here in the US. It's not a constitutional right anymore. But some States allow abortions up to a number of weeks in pregnancy and others don't.

I find it very difficult, when the overwhelming majority of both Republicans and Democrats supported this bill, for the law to be unconstitutional based on the case described above and the interpretation given.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Yes, I can appreciate that to a layman, it is often difficult to understand such things.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 12:26 PM
link   

For example there is no right when it comes to abortion here in the US. It's not a constitutional right anymore.

That's because of a SCOTUS ruling. In this case, we have a SCOTUS ruling that says that the death penalty for child rape is unconstitutional.

Until we have a different SCOTUS ruling, that overrules the Kennedy ruling, the Kennedy ruling is Federal Law and supersedes State laws.

<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join