It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Florida law allows the death penalty for child rapists

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
Why do places with armed guards, or any security of any kind, see lower theft, fights, shootings, etc than places without said security measures?

Maybe the idea that dying for what you want are about to do is the deterrent?

That's not the same thing as being sentenced to the death penalty.

Active security protecting someone or something is a direct deterrent against any illegal action.
The death penalty (or any other sentence) is a consequence of actions already done and, as such, have a lower probability of affecting the criminals, as the authorities first need to know that the crime happened and then have to identify and catch the criminal.

I am done arguing with a bunch of pedo rights activists

Just because people do not agree with the death penalty doesn't mean they are "pedo rights activists".

And if me saying that "as soon as you diddle a kid, you no longer have any rights" makes me a bad person then so be it. I refuse to apologize for thinking that this type of person are the lowest form of scum in our society.

Neither you or anybody else needs to apologise for their points of view and opinions, as we all can think whatever we want (at least for now).

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: tanstaafl

And if they are in prison for life, how might they be able to do it to someone else?

a) I have zero desire to pay for their incarceration for even one day, let alone for decades, and

b) how many people who go to prison under life sentecnes actually die in prison?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:20 PM
link   
"Neither you or anybody else needs to apologise for their points of view and opinions, as we all can think whatever we want (at least for now)."

At least for now, indeed.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

When you choose to try and shoot up a school or commit an armed robbery, you're probably not walking out of there alive. That is, essentially, signing your own death penalty.

The people in this thread don't want the pedos to be brought to justice at all, citing that it will make the victim feel bad for them.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Don't know about over the Pond, but those sentenced here for whole life terms certainly do?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

"About 90 percent of child sex abuse victims know their abuser and about 30 percent of children are abused by family members."

None of that has any relevancy whatsoever.

Also, I'm unaware of a state in which underage rape, in and off itself, is a life sentence.

Exactly... they get a slap on the writs (essentially), when they don't even deserve to keep breathing...
edit on 6-10-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:24 PM
link   

If there is irrefutable evidence that you did what you are accused of, then is it pretty cut and dry.

I don't think this new law allows that, as the death penalty can only be applied if there are at least two aggravating circumstances from a predefined list.
Even then, if there are attenuating circumstances, the death penalty cannot be applied.

If I'm not mistaken, I read the law a couple of days ago and that's what I remember.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

"The people in this thread don't want the pedos to be brought to justice at all, citing that it will make the victim feel bad for them."

No, they don't, and they aren't.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Who can't?

No one can.

I assure, plenty of families, like THE DUGGARS choose NOT to report familial sexual abuse.

Ummm... not reporting it is not even in the same universe as excusing it.

You appear to actually be fully approving of allowing family member to be able to continue to sexually abuse each other, if the rest of the family is 'ok' with it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Don't know about over the Pond, but those sentenced here for whole life terms certainly do?

Over here they certainly do not, but regardless, I'm much more concerned about not having to pay for their incarceration.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:37 PM
link   

That's fine.

I'm just against the death penalty, is all.

Over here, nonces experience of prison tends to be Hellish, and I'm good with that.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Another poster included a quote from the topic law of this thread stating that Kennedy vs Louisiana was unconstitutional.

Wrong, what they say in the law is that they find that the case "was wrongly decided and an egregious infringement of the states' power to punish the most heinous of crimes".

As far as I know a legislature cannot declare any thing as being unconstitutional, unless things in the US are even worse than I think.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Ummm... not reporting it is not even in the same universe as excusing it.

Of course it is! When we're talking about a family setting like the Duggar's example.

You appear to actually be fully approving of allowing family member to be able to continue to sexually abuse each other, if the rest of the family is 'ok' with it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. Not advocating the death penalty for familial rape isn't the same as turning a blind eye to the offense. However, adding the death penalty to the equation will make families even more protective of their family's privacy.

edit on 6-10-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

b) how many people who go to prison under life sentecnes actually die in prison?

That's a big problem, sentences that appear to be harsh but end up being light.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Then you should be fine with someone simply being declared an Outlaw... meaning, they no longer enjoy the protection of the law, and can be killed by anyone, for any reason or no reason with impunity.
edit on 6-10-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:15 PM
link   

No, not fine with mob rule, at, all.

Been watching the Purge?

How'd that turn out?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 03:45 PM
link   

That's fine.

Over here, nonces experience of prison tends to be Hellish, and I'm good with that.

That's probably the best possible argument against the death penalty instead of what has been put down and the various arguments that more or less have no merits.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 04:09 PM
link   

a reply to: Muldar

For example there is no right when it comes to abortion here in the US. It's not a constitutional right anymore.

That's because of a SCOTUS ruling. In this case, we have a SCOTUS ruling that says that the death penalty for child rape is unconstitutional.

Until we have a different SCOTUS ruling, that overrules the Kennedy ruling, the Kennedy ruling is Federal Law and supersedes State laws.

Let's see how many arguments you have made so far. They have evolved quite substantially in this thread.

Children knowing their abusers isn't a valid argument against the death penalty for rapists (including people from their own environment and family)

The assertion we will now have many more child murders because child rapists can get a death sentence if they are caught, has no basis in anything, and it's not a valid argument against the death penalty for child rapists.

The assertion children will be emotionally distressed if they know their abusers will die 'because' of them is just ridiculous and even if some kids get distressed then it's still not a valid argument against the death penalty.

Then you have argued child rape is a controversial issue....but it isn't a controversial issue at all.

Then you argued the death penalty is unconstitutional but that's not true.

Then the argument expanded to the death penalty is unconstitutional for child rapists because of the case you cited. I don't see this happening by the way and I am really curious if there is a legal challenge against the law how they will try to bypass the democratic ruling and the overwhelming majority of both the House and the Senate from both republicans and democrats. That's surely something unconstitutional...

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 04:13 PM
link   

The people in this thread don't want the pedos to be brought to justice at all, citing that it will make the victim feel bad for them.

I didn't see anybody saying a thing about pedos not being brought to justice.

Could you post a quote?

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muldar
Then the argument expanded to the death penalty is unconstitutional for child rapists because of the case you cited. I don't see this happening by the way and I am really curious if there is a legal challenge against the law how they will try to bypass the democratic ruling and the overwhelming majority of both the House and the Senate from both republicans and democrats. That's surely something unconstitutional...

The percentage of votes a law got when it was voted is irrelevant for a decision about the law's constitutionality, unless the law is considered unconstitutional because of the way to the voting happened.

Just because a large percentage of elected officials decided something doesn't mean they are right.

edit on 6/10/2023 by ArMaP because: spelling.

<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join