It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysia festival cancelled after singer attacks anti-LGBT law

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: AlienBorg

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels
a reply to: AlienBorg

Like I always told my kids, 'my roof, my rules'. Same concept.

Agree.

Rules not followed under our roof does not result in the death of the transgressor where in these types of countries with backward laws it can result in death. What exactly are you agreeing to? Under another country's laws it's okay to administer a death penalty for being gay?

In 2019, the Saudi Arabian government orchestrated a mass-execution of 37 men who were accused of espionage or terrorism, five of whom were also convicted of same-sex intercourse after one was tortured into confessing.

www.fairplanet.org...

Also if you read the article above half of the countries listed don't prosecute gay women only men, so IMO their anti-LGBTQ laws appear to be implemented by whim and feelz.

Agreeing you need to know the rules and laws of the country you travel to.

In terms of the death penalty, that's up to the country to impose it. Remember that LGBTQ isn't something celebrated everywhere in the world. Some countries and cultures see homosexuality as an abomination-sin, an unethical act, which is punishable by law.

The law in Malaysia is clear about homosexuality. You must have to get your head around it before you travel to the country or try to advocate for LGBTQ rights while you are in the country.

The singer is very lucky he hasn't been arrested for kidding the other member of the band. This is a homosexual act not tolerated in Malaysia.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Agree.

Rules not followed under our roof does not result in the death of the transgressor where in these types of countries with backward laws it can result in death. What exactly are you agreeing to? Under another country's laws it's okay to administer a death penalty for being gay?

In 2019, the Saudi Arabian government orchestrated a mass-execution of 37 men who were accused of espionage or terrorism, five of whom were also convicted of same-sex intercourse after one was tortured into confessing.

www.fairplanet.org...

Also if you read the article above half of the countries listed don't prosecute gay women only men, so IMO their anti-LGBTQ laws appear to be implemented by whim and feelz.

In terms of the death penalty, that's up to the country to impose it. Remember that LGBTQ isn't something celebrated everywhere in the world. Some countries and cultures see homosexuality as an abomination-sin, an unethical act, which is punishable by law.

The law in Malaysia is clear about homosexuality. You must have to get your head around it before you travel to the country or try to advocate for LGBTQ rights while you are in the country.

The singer is very lucky he hasn't been arrested for kidding the other member of the band. This is a homosexual act not tolerated in Malaysia.

The law in Malaysia is clear in that it imposes capital punishment for men (and only men not women - how to explain that one) who engage in sodomy. The band leader kissed another man on stage and there is nothing in their laws about that act. Whims and feelz.

There are cultures worldwide that use lip kissing as a greeting and not a homosexual act. That country is backward.

And they invited the band not the other way 'round. It's on them.
edit on q00000003731America/Chicago0909America/Chicago7 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: sarahvital

originally posted by: Turquosie

They are wrong in their beliefs, but of course we can't force their country to change. We can, however, say that their "morals" are wrong. But, it's not like it's a suprise for an islamic country to still reside in backwards thinking.

The problem is Islamic-majority countries. Religion supercedes modern ethics and morality and they often refuse to change.

It's their choice to be this way. But its wrong. And I don't think we should continue to just say "well, it's their idea of morality". We should be speaking out against islamic countries who rely on old religions for morals and laws.

Granted, it's not always just Islam. Look at Russia. Christianity has influence and creates a lot of anti-homosexual sentiment there as well.

Point being; we shouldn't just accept their "ways" if we know its morally wrong and against human rights.

I agree you can tell them they are wrong.
But they can tell you and the west how wrong you are about homosexuality.

Morally wrong according to who?
Human right?
You're missing the point of this thread.

LGBTQ ideas are not necessarily acceptable everywhere else because they are accepted here. Even here this group is associated with ideas that are hilarious and have no basis in reality. Should we look at the infinite number of genders or the trans agenda. Sane people dismiss them straight away. Imagine you try to push them there?!

good for malaysia.

dum azz band tried it in a small town .

they are lucky they just got banned.

According to the laws they could have been arrested.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Just a celebrity looking at the publicity ticker. He'll be cheered by the already converted, but it's all short-sighted and does sod-all to advance a cause.

While he may think he's cool, his actions probably close down opportunity for future musicians. This is because organisers may err on the side of caution when looking at bands and musicians to commission.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Agree.

www.fairplanet.org...

The law in Malaysia is clear in that it imposes capital punishment for men (and only men not women - how to explain that one) who engage in sodomy. The band leader kissed another man on stage and there is nothing in their laws about that act. Whims and feelz.

There are cultural worldwide that use lip kissing as a greeting and not a homosexual act. That country is backward.

You may want to get some of what you're saying right. It's a struggle when you don't read what you suppose to be reading.

www.humandignitytrust.org..../country-profile/malaysia/

Malaysia criminalises same-sex sexual activity between men and between women. The gender expression of trans people is also criminalised. Sentences include a maximum penalty of twenty years’ imprisonment with whippingThere is evidence of the law being enforced in recent years, and LGBT people are regularly subjected to discrimination and violence.

Homosexuality is illegal for both genders. Not just for men. Maximum penalty is 20 years imprisonment. Not the death penalty.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Just a celebrity looking at the publicity ticker. He'll be cheered by the already converted, but it's all short-sighted and does sod-all to advance a cause.

While he may think he's cool, his actions probably close down opportunity for future musicians. This is because organisers may err on the side of caution when looking at bands and musicians to commission.

Good point made.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Agree.

www.fairplanet.org...

There are cultural worldwide that use lip kissing as a greeting and not a homosexual act. That country is backward.

You may want to get some of what you're saying right. It's a struggle when you don't read what you suppose to be reading.

Malaysia criminalises same-sex sexual activity between men and between women. The gender expression of trans people is also criminalised. Sentences include a maximum penalty of twenty years’ imprisonment with whippingThere is evidence of the law being enforced in recent years, and LGBT people are regularly subjected to discrimination and violence.

Homosexuality is illegal for both genders. Not just for men. Maximum penalty is 20 years imprisonment. Not the death penalty.

There are those in that government who are trying to enact laws to impose harsher punishments. It's all fear and hate motivated just like everywhere else from ignorance.

In February, a gay man won a landmark court challenge against an Islamic ban on sex ‘against the order of nature’ in the Malaysian state of Selangor. In a unanimous decision, Malaysia’s top court ruled that the Islamic provision used in Selangor was unconstitutional and authorities had no power to enact the law.

www.humandignitytrust.org...

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

He contradicts your opinion because he said he only went there for the fans and since he cancelled his other gigs in backward countries such as these, I believe him. As usual it's the people on the margins who lose out.
edit on q00000030731America/Chicago2222America/Chicago7 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Agree.

www.fairplanet.org...

There are those in that government who are trying to enact laws to impose harsher punishments. It's all fear and hate motivated just like everywhere else from ignorance.

In February, a gay man won a landmark court challenge against an Islamic ban on sex ‘against the order of nature’ in the Malaysian state of Selangor. In a unanimous decision, Malaysia’s top court ruled that the Islamic provision used in Selangor was unconstitutional and authorities had no power to enact the law.

What you said earlier was incorrect.
Capital punishment doesn't exist for homosexuality in Malaysia. And it's illegal for both genders not just one. Try make arguments that are correct and not make up whatever you think it's correct.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Agree.

www.fairplanet.org...

Capital punishment doesn't exist for homosexuality in Malaysia. And it's illegal for both genders not just one. Try make arguments that are correct and not make up whatever you think it's correct.

Yes, I am in error as to the death penalty in Malaysia but my comments about that were originally made to point out other countries that do impose the death penalty in response to the unsympathetic remark about 'my roof, my rules'.

Malaysia still imposed the death penalty up until this year for other crimes although it appears this country is moving forward with abolishing that practice.

www.hrw.org...#:~:text=Malaysia%20has%20maintained%20a%20de,sentence%20by%20hanging%20in %202017.

Malaysia also prides itself on freedom of speech and expression, however two men sharing a kiss on a stage (freedom of expression) is not allowed?

en.wikipedia.org...#:~:text=Article%2010%20of%20the%20Constitution%20of%20Malaysia%20guarantees%2 0Malaysian%20citizens,assembly%20and%20freedom%20of%20association.

Whims and feelz.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Agree.

www.fairplanet.org...

Yes, I am in error as to the death penalty in Malaysia but my comments about that were originally made to point out other countries that do impose the death penalty in response to the unsympathetic remark about 'my roof, my rules'.

Malaysia still imposed the death penalty up until this year for other crimes although it appears this country is moving forward with abolishing that practice.

www.hrw.org...#:~:text=Malaysia%20has%20maintained%20a%20de,sentence%20by%20hanging%20in %202017.

Malaysia also prides itself on freedom of speech and expression, however two men sharing a kiss on a stage (freedom of expression) is not allowed?

en.wikipedia.org...#:~:text=Article%2010%20of%20the%20Constitution%20of%20Malaysia%20guarantees%2 0Malaysian%20citizens,assembly%20and%20freedom%20of%20association.

Whims and feelz.

There are countries imposing the death penalty for homosexuality but are a few. Mostly, these are muslim countries but there are some Christian countries too.

Malaysia is one of the countries not having strict laws on these matters. For example adultery isn't a criminal offense and the more is no death penalty for homosexuality.

Homosexuality is considered unethical and is punishable by law. The answer to your question above.

The death penalty isn't there for being homosexual. Other offenses may carry the death penalty. But the same happens in other countries just like here in the US.
edit on 24-7-2023 by AlienBorg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Then I repeat, the Malaysian officials should not have invited a known LGBTQ activist to perform in their country, it's on them.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Then I repeat, the Malaysian officials should not have invited a known LGBTQ activist to perform in their country, it's on them.

I don't know if the authorities have invited him. When you go somewhere to perform you don't necessarily need a invitation from the authorities. Even if they did, they invited a singer and his band. If they're activists that's another issue.

It's him and his band who should have been careful of what they do. Another country with other rules and laws. They are lucky they weren't arrested for the public homosexual act.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I don't know if the authorities have invited him. When you go somewhere to perform you don't necessarily need a invitation from the authorities. Even if they did, they invited a singer and his band. If they're activists that's another issue.

It's him and his band who should have been careful of what they do. Another country with other rules and laws. They are lucky they weren't arrested for the public homosexual act.

I mean really Matt kissed a male fan at a show in Dubai.

In the past, Healy has frequently waded into political debates and voiced support for progressive values, having spoken out against abortion bans in Alabama, called out misogyny in the music industry while accepting a 2019 BRIT Award, kissed a male fan during his concert in Dubai to protest anti-gay laws, and invited climate activist Greta Thunberg to make a speech on one of his songs.

If the Malaysian government's anti-LGBTQ stick is so large and so far up their arses one would think they would be on top of people like Matt not being allowed in their backwater land.
edit on q00000005731America/Chicago0404America/Chicago7 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 08:30 AM
link   

In the past, Healy has frequently waded into political debates and voiced support for progressive values, having spoken out against abortion bans in Alabama, called out misogyny in the music industry while accepting a 2019 BRIT Award, kissed a male fan during his concert in Dubai to protest anti-gay laws, and invited climate activist Greta Thunberg to make a speech on one of his songs.

If the Malaysian government's anti-LGBTQ stick is so large and so far up their arses one would think they would be on top of people like Matt not being allowed in their backwater land.

The kidding of a person of the same gender is not acceptable in Malaysia and could be considered a homosexual act. This guy knew what he was doing but yet decided to put himself on the spot. Lucky he wasn't arrested.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 08:35 AM
link   

The kidding of a person of the same gender is not acceptable in Malaysia and could be considered a homosexual act. This guy knew what he was doing but yet decided to put himself on the spot. Lucky he wasn't arrested.

That's what Matt does, he kisses other males during his shows. I mean really does that government desire so much isolation or like to keep their heads up each others' arses that they don't even read the news?
edit on q00000036731America/Chicago1313America/Chicago7 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: FishsticksAndKetchup

What a silly thing to say.

So you feel like its crackpot to expect only people that aren't terrorists or criminals to enter, that don't carry contagious disease, that learn English and our Constitution and show a willingness to assimilate into our culture and follow our laws are welcome, and those that ignore all that and just cut ahead of the line and storm the border, carrying fentanyl to pay the coyotes and with their bodies if female.

The crackpot is the one that cant see the (D) difference.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

....or like to keep their heads up each others' arses.....

I don't think its heads up arses the Malaysian government are so worried and paranoid about!

edit on 24/7/23 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Thread went exactly as I suspected.

Just admit that you want these laws everywhere.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Thread went exactly as I suspected.

Just admit that you want these laws everywhere.

Sounds like a one-world government, isn't that "your" jam?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA-using hip kid lingo-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join