It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysia festival cancelled after singer attacks anti-LGBT law

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienBorg
Famous? Never heard of them or him before now.
He's not won a supporter here.
In answer to your previous reply to me.... he's still a knobhead.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienBorg

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

Question:

Should laws that impinge on human rights be "respected"?

If such laws should be respected, and by extension, upheld...

Then why should laws which impinge on (mere) "Constitutional" rights not be enforceable?

(I use the term "mere" in this sense to differniate those rights bestowed by law versus rights understood to be intrinsic to all humans by virtue of being human; ie. "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness")

They don't see homosexuality as a human right but as an illegal and unethical act. You cannot impose to them what morality is or how the laws should be in their country.

You are sidestepping the question.

Should laws which impinge on the rights of the individual go unchallenged, or as you put it, "be respected"?

If, for example, a government declares that a belief in God is illegal, should those who cherish their faith renounce that faith, and thus "respect" the law?

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel

Same here, I had never heard of them until this thread and listened to their music. Big mistake, knobhead music!!

But we all know there is no such thing as bad publicity. They planned it imo....
edit on 23-7-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel

I know them but that's besides the point.
He didn't come across as someone who is very intelligent, kissing another man on stage, in a country where homosexuality is illegal and you can get imprisoned for many years.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Question:

Should laws that impinge on human rights be "respected"?

If such laws should be respected, and by extension, upheld...

Then why should laws which impinge on (mere) "Constitutional" rights not be enforceable?

(I use the term "mere" in this sense to differniate those rights bestowed by law versus rights understood to be intrinsic to all humans by virtue of being human; ie. "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness")

They don't see homosexuality as a human right but as an illegal and unethical act. You cannot impose to them what morality is or how the laws should be in their country.

You are sidestepping the question.

Should laws which impinge on the rights of the individual go unchallenged, or as you put it, "be respected"?

If, for example, a government declares that a belief in God is illegal, should those who cherish their faith renounce that faith, and thus "respect" the law?

I am not sidestepping your question.
Being homosexual isn't a right you can have in Malaysia.

You seem to be missing this little detail. The entire point made on this thread.

Malaysia is predominantly a muslim country. Another important fact you forgot about.
edit on 23-7-2023 by AlienBorg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Attention whores for a now failing agenda.

They are lucky they weren’t shot.

Be an activist all you want however you will suffer the consequences for your actions should the host country not share your opinion.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: gortex

Stupid thing to do but stupid people do stupid things , his stunt achieved nothing for the people he professes to support.

They should be banned from the planet for their lame “music”, if that’s what you want to call it.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This band joins many other famous bands and artists who were banned from backward countries.

theculturetrip.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
This band joins many other famous bands and artists who were banned from backward countries.

theculturetrip.com...

Backwards because you don’t like it? How enlightened of you.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk

theculturetrip.com...

Backwards because they are not progressive in human rights.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

Well that is entirely up to the citizenry of whatever exampled law you choose to cite now, isn't it?? Should a 65 year old man's right to anally rape a minor in drag be impinged as a disgusting crime, or enshrined as a personal right and freedom?

See this kind of debate just goes in circles with one side citing extreme examples and countered with the same by another. I think if more Europeans had the right to defend themselves with lethal force and to own firearms their governments wouldn't keep #ting all over them with heavy handed speech violations codified in law.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:22 PM
link   

theculturetrip.com...

Progressive. Wow.

Explain what those rights are please.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Just remember folks, when Afghanistan troops were raping young boys and our soldiers tried to stop it, it was the left screaming, "Their country, their rules", even on THIS SITE!

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

They should be banned from the planet for their lame “music”, if that’s what you want to call it.

Damn, we agree on something! It's not music, But what it is, is manufactured, produced for a target young teen audience for profit. It's the banal, soulless, ugly side of exploitation capitalism.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:28 PM
link   

theculturetrip.com...

So if they were progressive, you would not call them backwards.

So, people are cool if they think one thing but not another? But who gets to decide what is cool?

I can't believe people are so shallow as to make one part of their life and make that all they are.

I respect those around me, don't care what they do in the bedroom.

It is sad these days that I watch not to offend those around me, while they say or do whatever they want to offend me bc it is their right.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:29 PM
link   

theculturetrip.com...

Progressive. Wow.

Educate yourself about the monarchy and Islam there, then roll around human rights or how much power the people really have in that country.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Stupid thing to do but stupid people do stupid things , his stunt achieved nothing for the people he professes to support.

Let me try again....

Damn, we agree on something! It's not music, But what it is, is manufactured, produced for a target young teen audience for profit. It's the banal, soulless, ugly side of exploitation capitalism.

I'm guilty as well for making Movies filled with T&A...but at least you get a little T&A.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:39 PM
link   

theculturetrip.com...

Progressive. Wow.

Educate yourself about the monarchy and Islam there, then roll around human rights or how much power the people really have in that country.

Typical of you not to do anything other than point someone at the internet. You should go to this country and help fight for the progressive rights you think they need. Or. You are a hypocrite. Fight or move along. Back it up or just prove you are a troll on a web sight with nothing but self righteous indignation.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:41 PM
link   

theculturetrip.com...

Progressive. Wow.

Typical of you not to do anything other than point someone at the internet. You should go to this country and help fight for the progressive rights you think they need. Or. You are a hypocrite. Fight or move along. Back it up or just prove you are a troll on a web sight with nothing but self righteous indignation.

Typical of you and others here not to fact find yourself. Educate yourself then we can have a real discussion.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
We are guests in other countries. Be respectful. If you knowingly do something like that, you have to know what you are doing....I could even support them being fined before being deported.

Or even arrested...

The band was invited by the country (government?) so they should have checked him out prior to the invite, IMO. He's done this before because he is an activist. Duh.

I doubt governments are in charge of arranging entertainment for a country; they have more important business to focus on.

There are 1000's of concerts in the US on any given day; I'm pretty sure the government hasn't spent any money or time vetting each band.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join