It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysia festival cancelled after singer attacks anti-LGBT law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 03:46 PM
link   
www.bbc.com...

A festival in Malaysia has been cancelled after British singer Matty Healy attacked the country's anti-LGBT laws.

During the performance by his band The 1975 at the Good Vibes Festival, Healy addressed the audience in a profanity-laden speech before kissing bass player Ross MacDonald.

The band then ended their set, claiming officials ordered them off stage.

Homosexuality is illegal in Malaysia and punishable by 20 years in prison.

The band were headlining the Good Vibes Festival in the capital Kuala Lumpur on Friday.

On Saturday the festival's organisers said the remaining schedule for the festival had been cancelled following the controversy

Soon after - just 30 minutes into the set - Healy and the band walked off stage, with the singer telling the audience: "Alright, we just got banned from Kuala Lumpur, see you later.

The singer Matty Haley criticised the country's laws on homosexuality, after the festival, where his band was taking part, was cancelled . He had every right to do so and according to the article he has a long record of advocating for the LGBTQ community. But what triggered the cancellation was the kiss he gave to bass player Ross MacDonald, knowing this will trigger a reaction and knowing Malaysia's laws on homosexuality.

A statement said the decision came after an "immediate cancellation directive" from Malaysia's Ministry of Communications and Digital, as part of its "unwavering stance against any parties that challenge, ridicule or contravene Malaysian laws."

Malaysia's Communications Minister Fahmi Fadzil hit out at the band's performance on Twitter, calling it a "very disrespectful act". He added that he had contacted festival organisers and asked them to provide a full report.

It doesn't matter what your stance is on homosexuality. Many people don't have an issue with homosexuals in the western world, but do you think Malaysia as a country has a strong point to ask foreigners to respect their laws and cancel any event they deem disrespectful to their culture, laws, and ways of thinking.

edit on 23-7-2023 by AlienBorg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 03:52 PM
link   
We are guests in other countries. Be respectful. If you knowingly do something like that, you have to know what you are doing....I could even support them being fined before being deported.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienBorg

when in another country, it is always best to respect their laws. sometimes bad sh@@ other than cancellation can and often does happen.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Stupid thing to do but stupid people do stupid things , his stunt achieved nothing for the people he professes to support.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

when in another country, it is always best to respect their laws. sometimes bad sh@@ other than cancellation can and often does happen.

This is what I am thinking too.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Matt Healy is an advocate for LGBTQ, so what did the government expect? Anyway they have cancelled gigs in other countries with the same anti-LGBTQ sentiments/laws.

He did it for the kids/fans.

Here's his parting comments:

He told the crowd: “I made a mistake. When we were booking shows, I wasn’t looking into it. I don’t see the f****** point… of inviting The 1975 to a country and then telling us who we can have sex with.

“I’m sorry if that offends you and you’re religious… but your government are a bunch of f****** r******.

“I don’t care anymore. If you push, I’m gonna push back. I’m not in the f****** mood.”

He added about why the band had decided to turn up at the festival despite his anger, before kissing Ross: “I’m sure a lot of you are gay and progressive and cool. I pulled this show yesterday, and we had a conversation.

“We said, ‘You know what? We can’t let the kids down because they’re not the government.’

“If you want to invite me here to do a show, you can f*** off. I’ll take your money, you can ban me, but I’ve done this before, and it doesn’t feel good.”

uk.style.yahoo.com... =AQAAAKJ0A5yKIm-n7df_EDkoLS-PRTqi_xh3vPf5AVnV17khRsLjdOmGXdFxFm2OlzcvLKKH6ZvO3JjAaww6S0vqK1iDcPNNxaZdvB_w1KlDXspUCyF2Qk5rTAr5J8GslUI7XKYplTDiMxdv0wy95 O3BDyfl3SopBbgHX9-6bn1MPTd9

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:14 PM
link   
What a complete knob.
Way to go to win friends and influence people!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

Matt Healy is an advocate for LGBTQ, so what did the government expect? Anyway they have cancelled gigs in other countries with the same anti-LGBTQ sentiments/laws.

He told the crowd: “I made a mistake. When we were booking shows, I wasn’t looking into it. I don’t see the f****** point… of inviting The 1975 to a country and then telling us who we can have sex with.

“I’m sorry if that offends you and you’re religious… but your government are a bunch of f****** r******.

“I don’t care anymore. If you push, I’m gonna push back. I’m not in the f****** mood.”

He added about why the band had decided to turn up at the festival despite his anger, before kissing Ross: “I’m sure a lot of you are gay and progressive and cool. I pulled this show yesterday, and we had a conversation.

“We said, ‘You know what? We can’t let the kids down because they’re not the government.’

“If you want to invite me here to do a show, you can f*** off. I’ll take your money, you can ban me, but I’ve done this before, and it doesn’t feel good.”

uk.style.yahoo.com... =AQAAAKJ0A5yKIm-n7df_EDkoLS-PRTqi_xh3vPf5AVnV17khRsLjdOmGXdFxFm2OlzcvLKKH6ZvO3JjAaww6S0vqK1iDcPNNxaZdvB_w1KlDXspUCyF2Qk5rTAr5J8GslUI7XKYplTDiMxdv0wy95 O3BDyfl3SopBbgHX9-6bn1MPTd9

When you go to another country you need to know the laws. If you disrespect their laws, culture, religion, then you're risking cancellation. Homosexuality is illegal in Malaysia and this was known by the singer. Kissing another man on stage seems very provocative to them (at the very least).
And stupid may I add as you're risking arrest.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
What a complete knob.
Way to go to win friends and influence people!
Rainbows
Jane

He is genius!

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
We are guests in other countries. Be respectful. If you knowingly do something like that, you have to know what you are doing....I could even support them being fined before being deported.

Or even arrested...

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienBorg

Or even arrested...

The band was invited by the country (government?) so they should have checked him out prior to the invite, IMO. He's done this before because he is an activist. Duh.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Or even arrested...

The band was invited by the country (government?) so they should have checked him out prior to the invite, IMO. He's done this before because he is an activist. Duh.

It looks like a stupid activist.
They didn't expect he will kiss another male on stage. This is very disrespectful to them. Remember, in this universe it's not only the LGBTQ community that exists, there are many others.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Or even arrested...

It looks like a stupid activist.
They didn't expect he will kiss another male on stage. This is very disrespectful to them. Remember, in this universe it's not only the LGBTQ community that exists, there are many others.

Activists act out, that's what they do. It's the government's fault for inviting an activist and naively thinking the activist won't be an activist. Who's really stupid?

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Question:

Should laws that impinge on human rights be "respected"?

If such laws should be respected, and by extension, upheld...

Then why should laws which impinge on (mere) "Constitutional" rights not be enforceable?

(I use the term "mere" in this sense to differniate those rights bestowed by law versus rights understood to be intrinsic to all humans by virtue of being human; ie. "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness")

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:38 PM
link   
That's the problem with modern homosexuals, they want to rub everyone's nose in it and demand you love it. Just big fat attention whores. If he was not such a dramatic hypocrite, they would have refused to play Malaysia to begin with. But then they would miss out on the money wouldn't they??

I hope the singer is personally fined for such nonsense by that government.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

Question:

Should laws that impinge on human rights be "respected"?

If such laws should be respected, and by extension, upheld...

Then why should laws which impinge on (mere) "Constitutional" rights not be enforceable?

(I use the term "mere" in this sense to differniate those rights bestowed by law versus rights understood to be intrinsic to all humans by virtue of being human; ie. "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness")

They don't see homosexuality as a human right but as an illegal and unethical act. You cannot impose to them what morality is or how the laws should be in their country.
edit on 23-7-2023 by AlienBorg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Stupid thing to do but stupid people do stupid things , his stunt achieved nothing for the people he professes to support.

That may be true, but now Matty and The 1975 will be invited to every music festival on the planet. Well, maybe not the C&W festivals but still a brilliant bit of marketing for a mediocre tween band at best.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: gortex

That may be true, but now Matty and The 1975 will be invited to every music festival on the planet. Well, maybe not the C&W festivals but still a brilliant bit of marketing for a mediocre tween band at best.

They're already famous.
They didn't need this.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Their country, their rules.

It would be western imperialism to demand that they adhere to western standards.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:52 PM
link   

When you go to another country you need to know the laws. If you disrespect their laws, culture, religion, then you're risking cancellation. Homosexuality is illegal in Malaysia and this was known by the singer. Kissing another man on stage seems very provocative to them (at the very least).
And stupid may I add as you're risking arrest.

That's what activists do!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join