It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heated protests in North Hollywood over Pride assembly at elementary school

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

What makes you believe that those that disagree with you have 'limited life experience'?

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: NeoNotSee

Nobody is saying they don't have a right as a citizen.

I guess 'protest' is becoming a recreational activity. They would be better served taking up fishing or hiking, basketball or chess.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels

What makes you believe that those that disagree with you have 'limited life experience'?

Let's get that into context, I have absolutely no life experience as a black person, LGBTQ person, disabled person, etc. I try to understand their life's experiences by listening to what they are telling me are their realities in a broken societal system.

I believe most here are white cisgender, I mean c'mon, so all of you are in the same boat as me...the only difference, it seems, is that I am trying to understand what societal problems they are experiencing because I am interested in sociology as well as being a better person by not being blind and not caring.

Take a disabled person in a wheelchair, before I educated myself on how they want to be treated, I would never ask if they needed help, I assumed they did and by that I offended them. Live and learn or live and don't learn.
edit on q00000021630America/Chicago2525America/Chicago6 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Nobody is saying they don't have a right as a citizen.

I support a women's right to get an abortion and I have attended protests, I am also a man, using your logic only women should be protesting.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Your problem is that you think that all these things create some sort of quasi-religious, super-spiritual transcendent differences that make their lives mystical things you cannot comprehend, so you bow at their feet and worship them. You buy into a good v. evil paradigm that is every bit as religious as anything a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, or Hindu follows. However, your gods are mere mortals and every bit as flawed, even, in some cases, moreso than you. They're worse actually than the Greco-Roman gods. The Greeks and Romans knew their gods were all too human and capricious, but as they were truly transcendent, they were unchangeable. You worship anyone who looks right or f---s right regardless of what kind of human they actually are, and if you are below them in the progressive stack, what they say is your gospel because you have put them on a pedestal.

Grow up!

You don't know me or my life experiences.

You don't know anyone else here.

Many people here are military vets. Do you think they make it in the military if they can't work and live cheek by jowl with others of "differing life experiences"?

I was a Div I NCAA sprinter. Do you think I made it through that experience without being able to live, train, and get along with others of "differing life experiences"?

You know nothing quintessentone Snow!
edit on 4-6-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:42 AM
link   

'I believe most here are white cisgender, I mean c'mon'... so none of us here has experienced discrimination or hardship?

I went to a 70% Hispanic high school. White kids got beat up and knifed all the time. Try getting a job if you only speak English and don't speak Spanish well. A lot of white kids here got jobs selling pot because construction and fast food is dominated by Hispanic employees. That pressure is felt by blacks too. It's not all on whites locking them out in the SW.

LGBTQ discrimination isn't the same as racial discrimination. It may be that some people want to have that grievance crutch. So they make a big deal out their sexual stuff. Its always front and center. THey have a choice to make it everyone elses business! THat's a choice. Maybe that is offputting to those that dont GAF about your sexual stuff in the least, until you bring it to our children. Or as women to take a back seat again.

I don't think many people go out of their way to offend people. I learned a long time ago that I cannot control other people, in any way shape or form. Im going to be polite and civil and if you are offended because I didn't use the right pronoun, or asked if you need some help, then that's on you. You have no right at all to expect me to alter my behavior that is innocent and not meaning you harm in any way to accomodate your feelz. My brain is full of my own troubles and details for the day, why do you feel you have a right to intrude on my thoughts to be worried about your feelings?

edit on 6/4/2023 by CoyoteAngels because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Your problem is that you think that all these things create some sort of quasi-religious, super-spiritual transcendent differences that make their lives mystical things you cannot comprehend, so you bow at their feet and worship them. You buy into a good v. evil paradigm that is every bit as religious as anything a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, or Hindu follows. However, your gods are mere mortals and every bit as flawed, even, in some cases, moreso than you. They're worse actually than the Greco-Roman gods. The Greeks and Romans knew their gods were all too human and capricious, but as they were truly transcendent, they were unchangeable. You worship anyone who looks right or f---s right regardless of what kind of human they actually are, and if you are below them in the progressive stack, what they say is your gospel because you have put them on a pedestal.

My problem is that I keep on thinking that somehow some ATS members might clue into their confirmation bias' - and we all have them including myself so don't take issue with this point - and take off the blinders and start putting themselves in other minorities' shoes because of whatever problems they don't want to deal with and for me to start to realize that threads such as these are really just echo chambers where each of you can reassure each other that it's them not us.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Uh-huh ...

No one gets to expect the entire world to be remade in their preferred image.

I have chronic migraine. Do you know one thing that triggers me? Fluorescent lights. Do you think anyone cares about that? Nope.

Do I get to go on a crusade and try to force everyone to change all their lightbulbs? Nope.

Do you think the government cared when they outlawed incandescents, which were perfectly safe for me? Nope.

Btw, I am not alone.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Which has always made me wonder if that isn't to meet chicks that are willing to take risks and not put you in a financial bind later?

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Which has always made me wonder if that isn't to meet chicks that are willing to take risks and not put you in a financial bind later?

Does me supporting minority rights while being white also have me playing an angle? Your premise is flawed.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Uh-huh ...

No one gets to expect the entire world to be remade in their preferred image.

I have chronic migraine. Do you know one thing that triggers me? Fluorescent lights. Do you think anyone cares about that? Nope.

Do I get to go on a crusade and try to force everyone to change all their lightbulbs? Nope.

Do you think the government cared when they outlawed incandescents, which were perfectly safe for me? Nope.

Btw, I am not alone.

I am not on a crusade, I am on a public forum of discussion, mainly here for the UFO stuff but my interests are wide-ranging. If you don't like my stance on diversity and inclusion you have the freedom to scroll on by, but I do have the right to post my opinion, life's experiences to create counterpoints in a discussion/debate, or is that the real issue? You and others need reassurance within your confirmation bias' and/or fear-based reasonings to make it all right?

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Certainly there are those that are playing an angle. And you said abortion, men supporting women, not whites defending minorities. I have no idea if you are or not. But it's interesting that you changed the parameters.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

I am a white guy, I support people's right's regardless of whether they are the same as me or even agree with me. You seem to not like the constitutional right to freely assemble as you try to rank why someone should or should not do this.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 11:03 AM
link   

No.

We also have the right to discuss our beliefs on the issue.

I believe it's a big place and I don't see why I have give up my rights: my women-only locker rooms and sports, why my son has to be taught about heavily sexual stuff before his body starts telling him it's time to begin learning about it, why my son who looks white but is actually mixed race needs to be taught that because of his skin alone he's guilty of every evil thing some person dead for decades with zero connections to him in any way did to someone else with zero connections to him in any way and to make amends he needs to be forever subservient to others who have a different skin tone (hell, they might even have similar genetics to him just have won the lottery on looks).

I also wonder why my son needs to be taught that being male makes him bad/toxic. He should be happy to be who and what he is, not hounded for it at every turn because he is an outsider culturally.

And I see other groups pushing for their rights, and I don't why I can't do the same. I also don't see why my life has to be curtailed in favor of theirs.

Why should I be less who I am and live less like I live as if it's evil all of a sudden? Everyone else gets to celebrate being who and what they are, but I am not allowed? Where is the balance in that?

And when this is brought up, I am the bad one?

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Perhaps if you weren't all over these boards using your stance on diversity and inclusion like a club to beat others into submission with.

You are a warrior, for sure.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

It's like the board its very own DEI trainer who barges in and just flat out tells the whole room "If you're white, you were born racist!" and then proceeds to announce that "We are going to have a courageous discussion" while also making it clear that no one except for them is talking about anything.

Those are so freakin' offensive.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   

No.

We also have the right to discuss our beliefs on the issue.

I believe it's a big place and I don't see why I have give up my rights: my women-only locker rooms and sports, why my son has to be taught about heavily sexual stuff before his body starts telling him it's time to begin learning about it, why my son who looks white but is actually mixed race needs to be taught that because of his skin alone he's guilty of every evil thing some person dead for decades with zero connections to him in any way did to someone else with zero connections to him in any way and to make amends he needs to be forever subservient to others who have a different skin tone (hell, they might even have similar genetics to him just have won the lottery on looks).

I also wonder why my son needs to be taught that being male makes him bad/toxic. He should be happy to be who and what he is, not hounded for it at every turn because he is an outsider culturally.

And I see other groups pushing for their rights, and I don't why I can't do the same. I also don't see why my life has to be curtailed in favor of theirs.

Why should I be less who I am and live less like I live as if it's evil all of a sudden? Everyone else gets to celebrate being who and what they are, but I am not allowed? Where is the balance in that?

And when this is brought up, I am the bad one?

You are more than free to join the anti-whatever,the,flavour,is,today protest, go have at it.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Perhaps if you weren't all over these boards using your stance on diversity and inclusion like a club to beat others into submission with.

You are a warrior, for sure.

Do you honestly think I think my opinions have any weight here? That is laughable. I will never win the war and very few battles so far, but some members think highly of me and let me know and it is appreciated.

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Protest should not be recreation. The right to protest should be reserved for real grievances. Not just an excuse to work out angst by going out and emoting in an angry way while carrying a slogan.

Protest is a risky endeavor. You can get teargassed, beat with a baton, hit with a rubber bullet, arrested, run over by a car. Caught up in an arson. Knocked down by looters? Why do this just for the sake of doing it?

Oh, and that looting thing can be rewarding too.

Just because you have a right to do something does NOT mean it's the right thing to do.

Curious how you feel about the Jan. 6 protesters? Trying to overthrow the govt, were they?
edit on 6/4/2023 by CoyoteAngels because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2023 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

BINGO! Chicken dinner!

The hubris is strong in this one.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join