It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are People So Mad about the Biden 10K forgiveness

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I graduated college in the early 80's, and, as I said, there were a multitude of grant and scholarship programs available, which allowed lots of people an opportunity to earn a degree.

US colleges and universities were among the best in the world, and, as a result drew students from around the world to study.

And, as I recall, that is where it all started to go off the rails.

American colleges and universities, realizing that their degree programs were "hot properties", prestigious and coveted in the rapidly developing foreign market, and "inspired" by the "Greed is Good" DNA of American Capitalism, began charging ever increasing tuition and fees for foreign, "out of state" students; ostensibly to "preserve enrollment opportunities for resident students", but, in fact (and practice) to maximize their income.

And of course, the more they charged, the more desirable they became, as a degree from an exorbitantly expensive US university became a symbol of power and status back in the home country.

As an example, in class at the first college I attended, there were sons and daughters of executives from Every automobile manufacturer in the world.

The second college I attended, and from which I earned my degree (in a completely different major) drew hundreds of students from Asia and the Middle East due to the reputation of its Business Management programs.

Think about that. Connect the dots.

It's the Eighties. Asia (Japan, South Korea)? The Middle East (Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait...), OPEC Money!, Baby!!!

And let's not forget allll that "nose candy" cash flowing up from the south! Cartelenos have kids, too! Who better to trust with managing your drug money billions than your own children?

You want to know how, and why, higher education became so expensive that folks have to enslave themselves to earn a degree, just look to the "powder" decade!
edit on 27-8-2022 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: network dude

The 10K to kids going to college is a drop in the bucket in the overall sceme of things.

1/2 trillion dollars. if that doesn't sound like a lot, say it again slower

I can say it and I can also say
PP "loans"

Most of the US’ $800 billion in paycheck protection funds went to the richest 20%

More than half a trillion.

who else do we need to pay, in your opinion?

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Its not about who gets free money and who doesn't at the expense of the taxpayers.

It is about effectively using the money we do have to the maximum extent possible.

What problems does this one time 10k give away to the irresponsible solve?

Does it lower college tuition for those entering universities now and in the future? Nope; it guarantees to increase inflationary pressures on tuition even more.

Does it help all those people who responsible right sized their education pursuits as to not make themselves debt slaves upone graduation? Nope.

Does it help those who got out from under their debt servitude on their own? Nope.

Does it even help the very small number of people who will benefit from the giveaway? With the average school debt being 40k in 2020 what does a free 10k get you? you get to exit your debt servitude a few yeare earlie? How does that help start their lives in the here and now?

Why am I angry about the 10k give away? Because it doesn't realy help anyone but Joe Biden and the 2022 Democrat congressional campaigns.

I can have a bleeding heart as much as the next guy. Its an extreme travesty what we are doing to our younger citizens and they do need us to get our heads out of our rear ends and help then in many different ways ..... this is not one of those ways. Its just political theater thats going to cost us all a lot of money.

... just like the PPP.
edit on 27-8-2022 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 08:34 AM
link   

a reply to: RonnieJersey

My point is that some of us have a major struggle, and can anyone blame us for feeling like it's a slap in the face, when we pay all our bills and others just get it all for free - and I see it more and more.

I struggled, and actually lived in poverty. I paid all my college bills myself. I don't see it as a slap in the face.
I am glad others don't have to do what I did, or your friends had to do. It is a broken system.

And do you see how the ones who are paying for their education are paying more because they are helping to pay for the ones getting their education free of charge to them?
Of course resentment is going to build up - the scales can only tip so far.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Just wanted to let you know your OP was full of sound reasoning.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3000Hard

Thank you. I think the vast majority of people share my view, we just don't hear it on here.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

The USA is bankrupt.

People agreed to loaning out the money and agreed they would pay it back.

US colleges and universities are sitting on BILLIONS of dollars. Here is a list of 10 that all have over 10 BILLION dollars laying around:

Columbia University
University of Michigan
University of Notre Dame
Texas A&M
University of Pennsylvania
MIT
Princeton
Stanford
Yale
Harvard

Why on earth would the govt pay anything???

Gig ‘em!

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

Does it help those who got out from under their debt servitude on their own? Nope.

Does it help the pilgrims that had to eat soil? We have to go forward.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Thank you. I think the vast majority of people share my view, we just don't hear it on here.

It's unconstitutional.

Therre are several lawsuits already being filed.

Next month Biden will come on tv and say he tried, but the only way to do it will be to have a democrat House and Senate.

It's a ploy for democrats for the midterm elections.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

A Nation unwilling to invest in its future, deserves none.

A fine statement!!

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Trumps more general tax rebates with less likelihood of return for the country = good.
Biden's more targeted and smaller total rebates with good future outcomes for the country = bad.

Because idiots will idiot.

A finer statement!!

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's unconstitutional. Therre are several lawsuits already being filed. Next month Biden will come on tv and say he tried, but the only way to do it will be to have a democrat House and Senate. It's a ploy for democrats for the midterm elections.

You know what it is…..Brilliant.
He just said Check Mate to Republicans.
Contrary to popular belief most students are republicans or independents. Once you “give” something to someone and then take it away, thats when anger sets in. They probably have tons of people that forecast and model “what would happen” before they do anything. They even do it with some court cases.

The Republicans actually stand a better chance if they do nothing.
This coupled with the abortion stance is not going to get them votes.

Again, not saying it’s right or wrong, just calling it how I see it.

Ps. If needs repeating again, I am not a democrat or a republican.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I don't know.

there are more people who don't have student loans or have paid them off than people who need this con.

And they (we) are going to get stuck with the bill.

It's a Hail Mary pass because democrats have nothing to run on.

The economy sucks, the borders are open, crime has increased, and our nation has become a joke on the world stage.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 10:28 AM
link   

We are stuck with ALL the bills ALL the time.
Something about this one irks people more.
Maybe because they see people at their level getting them. It's weird because people have no problem
with the Rich getting so much, or the very poor, but the second the middle class gets some...

As you know, some times Hail Mary's work. I'm not saying this is a good thing either.

What would have been a smart response from the other side, is yes education is important, but so are the trades.
How about something for the trades? or something along those lines.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   

a reply to: dandandat2

Does it help the pilgrims that had to eat soil? We have to go forward.

With respect; I don't think I understand your point.

But; moving forward this one time give away doesn't help the future in any way as we move forward.

As I explained it barely helps those who allowed them be swindle by big education in the past..
edit on 27-8-2022 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 10:35 AM
link   

You have accidentally said something useful. If we're going to subsidize education we should help those in trade school.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's unconstitutional.

Therre are several lawsuits already being filed.

Next month Biden will come on tv and say he tried, but the only way to do it will be to have a democrat House and Senate.

It's a ploy for democrats for the midterm elections.

Politics in a democratic Republic. All the GOP has to do is come up with something that appeals to the broader electorate.

Q has some good suggestions!!

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 11:13 AM
link   

We are stuck with ALL the bills ALL the time.
Something about this one irks people more.
Maybe because they see people at their level getting them. It's weird because people have no problem
with the Rich getting so much, or the very poor, but the second the middle class gets some...

As you know, some times Hail Mary's work. I'm not saying this is a good thing either.

What would have been a smart response from the other side, is yes education is important, but so are the trades.
How about something for the trades? or something along those lines.

I think this is spot on. The billions given to corporations (think ISPs) a year for "promises" that never materialize never gets talked about.

As someone that pays taxes (and enough to make me rage when I think about it) I'm getting damned sick of people complaining about "handouts" that dont benefit the elite class. These aren't "handouts", I #ing pay my taxes and it would be nice to get #ing SOMETHING for the exorbitant amount I pay.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Simple answer? Because they've been groomed to think politics is like a game of football, winner takes all, cheer on your side no matter what.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 12:14 PM
link   

This isn’t forgiveness, it’s a transfer of debt passed on to American taxpayers to foot the bill, many who were not privileged enough to go to college, it’s absolute utter BS. This is nothing more than a taxpayer paid Brandon campaign contribution. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.

If their degree doesn’t have enough value to repay the loan that they signed for, do you think it has enough value for me to carry their burden of debt?

edit on 27-8-2022 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join