It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are People So Mad about the Biden 10K forgiveness

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Because tax payers will have to foot the bill. That, and a better solution would have been to allow student loans to be included in bankruptcy.

These kids made a choice. They knew what they were getting into when they signed the loan papers.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: orionthehunter

On the hook for their debt, bribed to vote the way the Dems want this fall, and then on the hook for all the back payments when the SCOTUS says, "No."

Bribes only work if the bribes are accepted and result in the desired action.

If you give me money to vote in a certain way, but I take your money and vote against you, you're out money and leverage.

Your assumption is that people are innately corrupt.

That doesn't bode well for the honesty of any government you might seek to empower.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerekJR321

Because tax payers will have to foot the bill. That, and a better solution would have been to allow student loans to be included in bankruptcy.

These kids made a choice. They knew what they were getting into when they signed the loan papers.

But taxpayers pay a price for bankruptcies as well, often a far greater price due to the magnification of costs to the society arising from the failure of businesses, like those servicing loans that are paid only pennies on the dollar as settlements.

Do you not remember the housing bubble burst, or the tech bubble burst?

Every bankruptcy has an economic "ripple" that affects related economies to greater or lesser extent.

I saw a meme today that I think is fitting:

"When Jesus performed the miracle of the loaves and fishes, it was a slap in the face of all those good people who had brought their own lunches."

To say nothing of the bakers and fishermen who might have lost business because Christ was trying to buy Souls, right?

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

I saw a meme today...

Me too!

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerekJR321

But taxpayers pay a price for bankruptcies as well, often a far greater price due to the magnification of costs to the society arising from the failure of businesses, like those servicing loans that are paid only pennies on the dollar as settlements.

Do you not remember the housing bubble burst, or the tech bubble burst?

Every bankruptcy has an economic "ripple" that affects related economies to greater or lesser extent.

"When Jesus performed the miracle of the loaves and fishes, it was a slap in the face of all those good people who had brought their own lunches."

To say nothing of the bakers and fishermen who might have lost business because Christ was trying to buy Souls, right?
did Jesus then charge everyone who brought their lunch and all the bakers and fishermen for all the bread and fish he handed out? No? Then sit down.
edit on 28-8-2022 by Mrthunker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I think a lot of people are troubled by forgiving the loans of people who tend to be the higher-level wage earners to begin with. Let's face it, it's a fact that college grads tend to make significantly more money than non-college grads. So, these people are being thrown a lifeline while the lion's share of the working class struggles with inflation, increasing costs for pretty much everything? People who maybe wanted to go to college but for whatever reason couldn't afford it. They feel like this is a giveaway to the affluent class. Not saying that it is, but that seems to be the perception. As for the people getting their loans forgiven, If I was a parent of these kids, I would be glad they are getting it because it will make it easier for them to be self-sufficient and less dependent on aging parents who may be trying to retire right about now, so their may be some positive blowback for others. If I was a working-class parent with kids I want to put through college, I would be pissed because it seems likely that tuitions will have to go up for those kids to absorb some of the costs of this. So, it really depends on where you are standing as to how you feel about it, I think.
edit on 28-8-2022 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

This isn’t forgiveness, it’s a transfer of debt passed on to American taxpayers to foot the bill, many who were not privileged enough to go to college, it’s absolute utter BS. This is nothing more than a taxpayer paid Brandon campaign contribution. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.

If their degree doesn’t have enough value to repay the loan that they signed for, do you think it has enough value for me to carry their burden of debt?

BEST COMMENT!!

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 08:31 AM
link   
That can be argued... college grads in my area are serving me my hamburger at the drive-thru and coffee at starbucks. This is 2022, not everyone goes to university and in fact many of these college degrees probably come from online.

So many in college at university however do not have any idea what they want to even do, they're not going to college because they have chosen a path in life, they are going to university simply just to stay a "student" and skate thru life hoping they or should I say the parents are hoping they will figure it out.

A college degree means nothing specially when they're just there for the credits and picking classes like liberal arts or mideval poetry.

You're just paying the babysitter, debts aren't forgiven they're simply shifted on to others... those with something tangible like a skilled trade.

In fact my niece works at Starbucks, she pulled her 4 years at university a year and a half ago now.

a reply to: openminded2011

edit on 28-8-2022 by iamthevirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

Jesus himself was given the loaves and fishes. He did not take them from the unwilling. He made more miraculously out of nothing then without creating any poverty in the remaining loaves and fishes of the world.

The government cannot do any of that as it is not God. Stop thinking it is. You all commit blasphemy when you try. Jesus took freely given food and miraculously made more out of nothing because God can do that. The government has to force the rest of us to give them money we would otherwise not choose to give. So the money is unwilling donation. The government cannot take enough to cover the amount so they borrow/print more creating less worth in the other dollars that exist which, btw, is inflation - a problem we're all fighting that will only now get worse. God didn't make the rest of the loaves or fish smaller/less filling to create the ones that fed the crowd.

This is why you on the left shouldn't try to play with concepts you don't understand. It makes you look like colossal idiots and exposes just how much you don't know what you don't know.

Render unto Caesar what is Caesar - Politics clearly are Caesar's.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Someone actually made a meme, and in doing so, "went there"...

Analogized a Biden EO forgiving student loan debt...

With a Biblical miracle.

Joe Biden: the modern day, metaphorical, "messiah".

Joehova.

((cue the remarks about "Trumpers" undying fealty, and idolatry of an orange real estate mogul))

errrr, wait...whoops. This meme is comparing Biden with Jesus. Oh.

When trying to be ironic backfires.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Thats a great argument... until you realize a good percentage of the people harmed by the Biden vote buying scheme probably dont believe in Jesus or not enough to see that story as any thing more than a fable.

In the real world actions like this one have real world consequences; life doesn't just turn into a fish and bread utopia like you want to pretend it does.

Here is the voice of one of those people negatively impacted by Biden's vote buying scheme.

But "I got mines, F everyone else!" am I right?

It leaves me wondering which opportunities I unnecessarily gave up in the name of saving and scrimping. Could I have learned another language? Lived abroad? Taken an additional major? Conducted more independent research? Spent more time building professional connections rather than speeding through required courses?

The choices that some of us made to avoid high college bills have distorted far more than just our college years. High school was fundamentally different and far more stressful, spent fixated on navigating a financially imposing future. The things we gave up in college very well may have put us at a professional disadvantage, placing us behind peers who borrowed to attend more prestigious schools and had the breathing room to participate in experiences that better equipped them for long-term success.

Graduating debt-free was one of the best parts of my college experience—and just four years since I started my degree, it's already more difficult to reproduce. The merit scholarship that made my cost-saving journey possible has been reduced and tuition has gone up. I don't wish severe sacrifice or struggle on anyone who hopes to attend college. But I don't think concerns about fairness are frivolous, and I don't think they should be waved away as people cheer yesterday's forgiveness announcement. This one-off cancellation isn't the way to make higher education more accessible and affordable—systemic reform is.

The Student Loan Debate Isn't Just About Money. It's About the Experiences Students Like Me Sacrificed.

edit on 28-8-2022 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Just hope this doesn't become the norm, once it begins then it becomes expected.

We have our elderly and aging population to worry about as it is.

a reply to: RonnieJersey

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: iamthevirus
Just hope this doesn't become the norm, once it begins then it becomes expected.

The Democrats believe in incrementalisum. They clearly want taxpayer funded college education systems (which might be a good thing if done correctly and fairly) ... this ill thought out debt forgiveness is just one step on that path. There will be others.

But explain to my why the arguably wealthiest, most prosperous generation in America needs assistance? Did some of them make bad life choices?

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: dandandat2

But explain to my why the arguably wealthiest, most prosperous generation in America needs assistance? Did some of them make bad life choices?

That's just it, from what I've seen and see all over, they didn't make any choices, they grew up in a fantasy world thinking they're going to pass 100k a year doing absolutely nothing, that their worthless degree simply by possessing it is going to bring them wealth, that they're going to pass 100k a year sitting on their butt.

All those jobs have been outsourced, sorry folks that's life...

I have no problem however getting behind a trade-school education.

If these degrees were worth their weight in gold we wouldn't be worrying about debt forgiveness.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Will people making less than 400,000/year see an increase in their taxes because of this?

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 09:25 AM
link   

That's the other problem. There are so many people struggling with debt of various kinds for various reasons. Which group is "more deserving" of cancellation? Why? How do you draw that line, and clearly we cannot cancel all of it.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   

That's the other problem. There are so many people struggling with debt of various kinds for various reasons. Which group is "more deserving" of cancellation? Why? How do you draw that line, and clearly we cannot cancel all of it.

I'm with the tough love crowd... our seniors worked their knuckles to the bone and many have sacrificed the most valuable thing (their health and the prime of their lives) paving the way for all the wanna-be future game designers or whatever.

Talk to them, ask them... you'll see, they all have some fantasy BS about being the next big game designer, none will answer "I want to be an engineer" and invent a more feasible electric car.

Send them to trade-school you don't have to worry about those kids because they can pay their debts and do it faster because they possess something tangible.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I'm with the tough love crowd... our seniors worked their knuckles to the bone and many have sacrificed the most valuable thing (their health and the prime of their lives) paving the way for all the wanna-be future game designers or whatever.

Talk to them, ask them... you'll see, they all have some fantasy BS about being the next big game designer, none will answer "I want to be an engineer" and invent a more feasible electric car.

Send them to trade-school you don't have to worry about those kids because they can pay their debts and do it faster because they possess something tangible.

Totally agree. I worked in tech in the aerospace/space field for almost 40 years. When I retired I was making a decent living. I never went past community college and trained at work for my job. There are other paths besides a 4 year degree, and there should be even more. As far as I know, plumbers and electricians still make a good living and their jobs are very much in need, as well as something that won't be outsourced. We need to build up the tradesmen in this country as a viable alternative to college (they already are of course). That should be the next step, giving a hand to people who want to pursue a trade that will allow them to make a living, not saddled with years of debt.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 10:22 AM
link   
There's so much in skilled trade, it's not just plumbers, hvac techs, electricians and auto techs.

Hey that Jesus dude was a carpenter if I'm not mistaken?

a reply to: openminded2011

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Will people making less than 400,000/year see an increase in their taxes because of this?

The estimate is an additional $2000 per taxpayer.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join