It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Boy George Effect

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackArrow
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well, to sit there and say we haven't had racism is wrong.

There has been a lot of racism built into the community since the 70's. Most of this is actually built by the standards of living differences. Granted, it's not ALL their fault, or our fault as the general public. Most if not all it is the government's fault.

I don't blame them, their standards of living had them in poorer societies thank's to a lot of government and school segregations of the past. Then refinancing to move was impossible and they often couldn't get mortgages for housing in better areas. Credit scores were never really kind to them either, and a lot of africans didn't get the same education as white people until multi-cultured schools opened.

So a lot of the parent's who didn't have that luxury to be in a multi-school, still had a lot of the old views in mind, and just like every parent in the world. They would instill these lessons into their kids, who then would once again do the same. Despite changes in society and stature, as well as offering equality which has changed drastically over the past 40-50 years. Was often passed down and everyone else remained to blame despite the changes in time.

Then there is the double mindset. Rich Dad Poor Dad style, where you see those that take advantage of what is there. Then those that struggle and get locked in on government welfare by staying stationary. Those that learned early on that government welfare was ment to hold people down actually broke that chain and have been doing really well for themselves.

But sadly, a huge chunk of the population in African societies refuse to break the chain of welfare. Because they believe that 'free money' is better then actually having to put the work in, or another popular view is seeing it as some form of 'safety net'. The main problem with this belief, is that it isn't really 'free money'. You are paying for it with your freedom and lifestyle that is available to you, it is what suppresses you, and this message isn't being delivered or recognized. This beast has no preference to skin color either. Everyone on welfare is suppressed the same, and held back for as long as they are on it.

This isn't just African this is all races with this mentality. But there is a huge difference that is often ignored by africians. Despite being a smaller % of the population, they have guarantee's in jobs. As long as they do the work and aren't high/drunk/intoxicated one way or another, They have a stronger job security then the average white man. This was put in place in the 80's to encourage jobs searching/hunting among African Americans. Especially after the housing crisis that occurred among the African Community.

Many people still look past this, and then blame the 'white man' for holding em back. The reason why you are held back is because you rather have a welfare check then a job. Everyone on welfare get's held back, not just africians. This is another thing that society has overlooked. As we all have "white privs", when a white man goes to work he does NOT have the same job security as an african does. Because law's dictate that at least 20% of your workforce must be of a minority.

So, racism isn't so much the issue. It's the laziness that went along with the welfare that was 'handed out' and targeted like the abortion centers to Africans instead of encouraging education. But the only way to break that cycle is to encourage more African's to give up the Harlem lifestyle and actually do something about their lives. To actually give up the government check for a miserable life like the rest of us.

However, I do need to point out that most racism that existed in american history was literally because of politicians. They are the one's that set the rules, not the general people. They are the lineage's that owned slaves, not the common person you encounter on a daily basis.

Anyway, hope that helps explain some thing's.

when LBJ signed the civil rights act he said,
there, that'll keep them voting democrat for 100 years.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: DAVID64

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: ketsuko
The self-esteem movement would be my guess. It was all about everyone feeling good about themselves. Then we found out some people are miserable SOBs who just won't do that, but the crusaders tried by trying to make us all care so very much about. If those poor people don't feel good, it must be our fault, and miserable people embraced that. No one likes to think they're miserable because they're making themselves miserable.

CAn we go back to the 80's?

No cell phones, no computers, just people?

All jokes aside, can you imagine taking cell phones from teens and young adults ? The suicide rate would skyrocket. Some people are so addicted to their instant fix, they literally can't live without it.

You aren't wrong, hell we had a mini crisis here when ATS shut down for a few days. Not gonna lie I sleep better when I turn all the crap off, I stick my phone on the shelves across the room so I won't look at it. Now I finally started sleeping mostly through the whole night, whereas with a phone within reach Id always check the time

ATS shut down?
When was that?

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

Few months ago, was offline for around a week.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 04:56 AM
link   

What can oy sigh?

Ya couldnae gee away wi' it these days.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 05:15 AM
link   

People were too busy claiming that listening to Twisted Sister would cause you to start drinking animal blood and burning school down.

Oh, and that Dungeons and Dragons was a gateway drug to the occult.

Oh, and that the commies were going to kill us all.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

The world went #ing mental mate.

If you were into hair metal bands, you were targeted by both the liberals and he conservatives. So the world was pretty mental back then, too.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Everyone received a trophy and loved how it felt when they got it. (internet and tech). That and lawyers.
edit on 14-8-2022 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 06:33 AM
link   

This madness began sometime after 2012. Many will say that it was preceded by one event or another, which is true. All events have a cause and their cause another cause. I digress.

I spent some time away from normal society beginning in 2013 and resumed back in 2016. These years were spent in a rural lifestyle with little to no attention spent on media or news. I literally detached from society for a few years.

Upon rejoining the masses in 2016, it was evident the world had drastically changes during those 3 years. The world had changed. Most people had smart phones, social justice warriors were strongly prevalent, people were more sensitive, and it seemed the internet had gone mad.

I honestly thought something had happened in 2012 for a bit because December 21st wasn't long before the beginning of my vacation from society. When I came back I had experienced some culture shock on how the world changed.

What happened? I don't know. All I can say is when.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

Oh, and that Dungeons and Dragons was a gateway drug to the occult.

NO, NOT BLACK LEAF!
www.chick.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

If you were into hair metal bands, you were targeted by both the liberals and he conservatives.

And rightly so too!
🤣🤣

Not my favourite type of music and most definitely not the best look!
😉

So the world was pretty mental back then, too.

The world's aways been a metal sort of place.....its just taken an extra special type of mental direction over the last few years inspired and pushed by a truly extra, extra special type of mental people.

No-one will ever be able to convince me that this 'progress' that has occurred over the last few years has benefitted society in general.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Maybe it was the B-52’s Love Shack. Here was a Georgia group that had been trying to make it for nearly 20 years in the US with some success in Australia. Had a retro sound. The song had the right sound and simple lyrics until the break down when the guy says you’re what? and she responds Tin Roof, Rusted… This made no sense and people tried wrapping their brain around it and came up with En Route, Busted. Which made a little more sense but wasn’t the lyric and even sounded wrong.

This mental dilemma heralded us into the 90’s as confused as ever. Because if PC’s were better than Mac’s why was it that Mac’s were needed for the internet until Windows 95 came out? And then if they had a special Win95 disk for USB devices then why was it that Microsoft demanded that drivers could only be written for Win98?

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   

When?

Everyone was cool with everyone back then.

We had no racist bullcrap, no homo bullcrap, no trans bullcrap.

???????????????
No offence, but you either lived in a 1950's sitcom or you have a highly selective memory, as racism, sexism and homophobia is still an endemic stain on the world.
Personally speaking I loathed Boy George and still do. However, I think that we need to advance as a society by not prosecuting/persecuting/murdering people based on the colour of their skin or their sexuality.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I was a metal head. One day, I found out after many years of listening to Judas Priest that Rob Halford was gay. I never listened to metal again. well, not really, nothing actually changed. I did question the meaning behind Turbo lover, then I just sad eww, and moved on. I still think Priest rocks.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

There will always be those that focus on skin color or sexual preference over character.

Today we call them democrats.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I was still pretty young in the 80s but I still remember certain groups making a big deal over hoe certain musicians were gay.

It didn't affect me in any way so I ignored them and continued to listen to music I liked.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 07:07 PM
link   

A long time ago, back in the before times, in the long ago. . . . . .

We had Boy George. A cross-dressing feminine gent. We all danced to his music back then. We never had a thought about him really. Just enjoyed his music. If he wanted to dress like that, if he was gay. . . *shrugs* who cared.

That was in the 1980's. By then we also knew David Bowie and Elton John were not members of the John Birch Society.

We didn't care.

Really. No one cared. Live how you want to live, do your own thing, we didn't care.

I was too busy trying to push up sleeves like Crockett and Tubbs to worry about what anyone else was doing, or sleeping with.

What changed?

What the ever-loving hell changed?

Live and let live. . . . that was a thing.

What changed and why do we or should we care now?

I humbly offer this thread for discussion.

What changed is that now they want to force the rest of us to go along with their delusions when they play dress-up and call themselves a woman (or vice versa).

Many of these transwomen appropriate womanhood as it were a costume that could be worn.

They deny objective reality and try to tell everyone that some men can be women, some women can be men and even that some men can get pregnant.

What's their next argument, water is wet? The Earth is flat?

They want to play pretend then demand that the rest of the adults go along with their delusions or else face being labeled a bigot, get fined or fired. That's what changed.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 10:21 PM
link   

When?

Everyone was cool with everyone back then.

We had no racist bullcrap, no homo bullcrap, no trans bullcrap.

And when we actually did have any of that aforementioned, it was all in fun and everyone laughed (including those it was directed at).

Then the communists came along........

:/

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Tried to explain this to my kids. They cannot relate at all and they don't believe me. I really feel like no one noticed or cared or something. Seems like we were all just trying to be happy.

A reply to: DBCowboy

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   
My two cents. Everything got more political and sides where chosen. Even before Boy George most Americans were fine with Liberace and Paul Lynde. I am sure there are others, maybe Waylon Flowers and Madame and even Richard Simmons. Adults knew what was up but kids just thought they were goofy and funny. No one in their right minds dreamed of pushing sexuality on children. Violators of this societal norm were dealt with with out fanfare. Maybe it was the "free love" movement of the 60's that started the ball rolling but counter culture became a leftist thing and the gay movement embraced counter culture or vice versa. Ergo for the most part it was now a leftist thing and if you disagreed or had a different opinion you are the enemy. No wiggle room anymore. You are either all in with ALL of it or you are not. It was not always this way with political thoughts. Culture just followed thats all.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I was a metal head. One day, I found out after many years of listening to Judas Priest that Rob Halford was gay. I never listened to metal again. well, not really, nothing actually changed. I did question the meaning behind Turbo lover, then I just sad eww, and moved on. I still think Priest rocks.

It's like knowing Freddy Mercury was gay. *shrug*

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join