It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$7 Gallon gas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: JAGStorm

And if you lease it with a warranty? I haven't purchased a daily driver in two decades, they are all leases so I don't have to worry about repairs, maintenance and upkeep.

I’m just about at that point in my life. It was not possible before because of the atrocious miles we put on the cars.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: bounder
Just told my brother yesterday, $10 gas by end of summer. He didn't think so, I said I guess we'll wait and see.

I also had the hoodlum neighbor kids on 4 wheelers driving up and down the street at 11pm last night so I'll take the good with the bad.

Once that happens inflation will be totally out of control because shipping costs will drive inflation on every single item a family needs - from bread to appliances.

We are looking at dark times ahead if $10 a gallon gas becomes a reality, a very deep depression that will make the 1930's look prosperous because people then knew how to grow their own food. HOA's and cities and towns all over the nation forbid keeping lifestock to eat or growing crops in your yard, things that were common in the 1930's.

Mass starvation may result from people being not able to afford even rice and beans or peanut butter and bread. Then the stress on the grid with sudden and huge transfer to electric power - rolling blackouts may cause people freezing to death or dying of heat stroke.

Thanks Joe and the Democrats for policies that will save the planet and slowly painfully kill what you see as parasitic people on the planet. But liberals,progressives, and environmentalists will get the depopulation they so desperately and openly desire.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
Then they'll charge just as much or more to allow people to charge their car on the road.

The third party charging market is looking to be highly competitive at this point with many companies not normally associated with EV charging either manufacturing or partnering with manufacturers. There is also a very healthy home charging sector so if you are commuting you would not need to use a third party.

Just letting you know the landscape from someone who is on the inside of a lot of this.

Question AM, How do you think our power grid will hold up with the addition of millions of EV's added to the strain on it? Are we ready for it, or are we going to see a lot of problems with our infrastructure in the near future?
edit on 2/21/2022 by Klassified because: re-word

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:46 AM
link   

This was designed to impact the poor and lower-middle class.

Most middle class folks and up will adjust accordingly.

The poor will be affected by this the most.

That's why they're doing it.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Who are they, and how are they doing it?

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Pepperidge Farms remembers when the US was energy independent and the world's largest producer under Trump.

Russian agent Joe Biden gave Putin the green-light for opening his pipeline and removed other sanctions, while simultaneously shutting down a big USA pipeline project.

All in the space of 1 week, right after assuming his stolen office in the White House.

link   
Local Left-mouthpiece radio station had a discussion on this last week.

Their angle was a threatening “What WILL it take to make you stop driving?”.

For those of us who don’t live downtown, giving up driving isn’t an option. Short-term neither is an electric vehicle because many areas don’t have the capacity to support the chargers. The energy needs to come from somewhere.

link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Who do you think? The powers that be.

The way to control people is to control their survival, Food/shelter/transportation/clothing.

link   
a reply to: Klassified

From what I have heard in some of the discussions is working with utility companies on peak load sharing where the cars that are not in full need of a charge are plugged in and help offset peak loads and then pull a charge when demand lowers. It's a complex issue that will also require more capacity which is why I am a big supporter of nuclear.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   

And if you lease it with a warranty? I haven't purchased a daily driver in two decades, they are all leases so I don't have to worry about repairs, maintenance and upkeep.

This^^^ is what those in the automotive industry have been after since I worked in car leasing in the 70's. I remember my boss telling me that in the future everyone would lease cars because it wouldn't be economically feasible to own one.

I didn't believe him, but here we are.
edit on 2/21/2022 by Klassified because: correction

edit on 2/21/2022 by Klassified because: Can't write today...or any day for that matter.

link   

Pedantic question but ask yourself who is responsible for allowing pipelines, drilling permits, licensing for refineries.

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

why I am a big supporter of nuclear.

Me too!!
I think it can solve a lot of our environmental issues, but nuclear is so scary to people because of past nonsense!

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Remember when Trump made us energy independent and had them literally giving oil away

-18$ a barrel

Lets go Brandon
edit on 21-2-2022 by just4fun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
This^^^ is what those in the automotive industry have been after since I worked in leasing industry in the 70's. I remember my boss telling me that in the future everyone would lease cars because it wouldn't be economically feasible to own one.

I didn't believe him, but here we are.

I personally don't want to worry about a car after the warranty expires on a daily driver.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: just4fun
Remember when Trump made us energy independent and had them literally giving oil away

Was that when we were importing millions of barrels of oil to meet our demand? Maybe check the EIA data and see for yourself.

edit on 21-2-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: gb540

The energy needs to come from somewhere.

China has a solution for us!

On a side note, it probably wouldn’t hurt some Americans to hop on a bike a little more.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I don't think it will ever get that high, there are more and more EV vehicles and manufacturers coming out and existing automakers have timelines to go full EV. Basic economics says that fuel prices will decrease as demand decreases.

EV vehicles are for the rich. The battery replacement is too costly for the average consumer. Maybe if that goes down it will be more plausible. Electric prices are also through the roof so there is no real advantage.

Pretty much. To get a decent looking EV (dry heave), you're going to pay at least $75,000.00. The decent GM truck is $105,000.00. Those of us who are Middle Class will be stuck settling for Chevy Sparks. I'd rather drive a golf cart to work, and those aren't cheap either.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I assume you were speaking in a political context.

I agree, it's far too broad as you pointed out.

But the oil companies don't want prices to get too high. It's in their best interest more people can consume. Generally they're keeping the same margins, but prices get too high and people aren't going to take that weekend trip.

Sure there's a political element, but it's not the end all be all. Take the large price drop during COVID. Many attributed that to Trump. And yes, his platform was aimed at being a friend to energy, specifically that we could derive stateside. But the big drop was due in part to a large drop in consumption, and the Russia OPEC+ trade war.

If you look at financial news, they really take a look at all the variables whereas "normal" news (punditry) acts as if the president wakes up every day and decides the price.

It's a fast paced and ever changing market. Some of the impact is political, but I wouldn't say it's the lion share, and if it is, usually it's temporary.

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
On a side note, it probably wouldn’t hurt some Americans to hop on a bike a little more.

They'd probably crush it if it didn't pedal away from them on its own first.

edit on 21-2-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Feb, 21 2022 @ 10:03 AM
link   

It's a fast paced and ever changing market. Some of the impact is political, but I wouldn't say it's the lion share, and if it is, usually it's temporary.

The political aspect of it sometimes takes close to a decade to be fully felt, some oil leasing opened under Bush didn't come into full production until the end of the Obama/beginning of the Trump administration.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join